Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
I have a confusion due to multiple sources saying multiple things...is the carl gustav held at the platoon level or does each squad have carl gustav plus assistant ?
Do we actually have a 'platoon weapons squad' or platoon hq doesnt have any heavy weapons?Some say 51 mm mortar?

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Last bulk order for Army Image intensifying sights was given in 2009 for 30,000 sights. Since then Dalal vs Dalal going on
Peacetime corrupt army and procurement babus in MoD.

jackhammer2

Country flag
I have a confusion due to multiple sources saying multiple things...is the carl gustav held at the platoon level or does each squad have carl gustav plus assistant ?
Do we actually have a 'platoon weapons squad' or platoon hq doesnt have any heavy weapons?Some say 51 mm mortar?
In light infantry battalions Rcl are issued at section level. Composition of section goes as such :- Sec cdr, Sec 2ic , RL 1 , RL 2 , LMG 1 , LMG 2 , RFN 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 . Total = 10.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
In light infantry battalions Rcl are issued at section level. Composition of section goes as such :- Sec cdr, Sec 2ic , RL 1 , RL 2 , LMG 1 , LMG 2 , RFN 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 . Total = 10.
2 negev per squad is a lot of ammo,maybe insas LMG was easy that way.I think it could be 1 LMG per section.
Also we dont have a dedicated marksman either then?

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
If only our general could see this
All the way back in Yudh Abhyas 2009, the soldiers and officers fell in love with the optics on the US m4 carbines, when regular soldiers were exposed to it for the first time. There was a part of the video where the US officer says "They didn't like our vests, which they found too heavy, but they loved our optics on the rifles".

But either they never requested for optics from the top brass after that, except for RR, or their requests fell on deaf ears.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
All the way back in Yudh Abhyas 2009, the soldiers and officers fell in love with the optics on the US m4 carbines, when regular soldiers were exposed to it for the first time. There was a part of the video where the US officer says "They didn't like our vests, which they found too heavy, but they loved our optics on the rifles".

But either they never requested for optics from the top brass after that, except for RR, or their requests fell on deaf ears.
Now on sigs they be like the best I can do is holo on a battle rifle 🤡

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Now on sigs they be like the best I can do is holo on a battle rifle 🤡
One problem we have to admit regarding optics today is that a good quality sight, especially an LPVO, is more expensive than the rifle itself. The only way optics can become standard for all troops is if a domestic company starts mass manufacturing them. But that requires guarantees of mass orders from the Army, which doesn't seem to understand the concept of standardization.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
One problem we have to admit regarding optics today is that a good quality sight, especially an LPVO, is more expensive than the rifle itself. The only way optics can become standard for all troops is if a domestic company starts mass manufacturing them. But that requires guarantees of mass orders from the Army, which doesn't seem to understand the concept of standardization.
The holo is made by bel I think it's decent but shouldn't be on a battle rifle for telephonic sights yes we need someone to step up there game maybe bel they are already making holo sights

jackhammer2

Country flag
2 negev per squad is a lot of ammo,maybe insas LMG was easy that way.I think it could be 1 LMG per section.
Also we dont have a dedicated marksman either then?
I have seen both 1 LMG or 2 lmgs per section (mostly 1). In case of just 1 lmg, lmg 2 acts as a assistant gunner. Apart from house cleaning where both lmg separates , in most formation be it file, arrow or diamond both LMG -1 ,2 stays together so it won't be hard to replace 2 lmgs with a mg team in case of negevs . Along with RCL , LMG forms the base of fire in a section and both of these weapons holds equal importance.
Sniper/sharpshooter are attached at company level.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles