Mil Mi-26T2 Halo vs Boeing CH47F Chinook

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I heard that MI-26 production facility is closed ?

Is it true ?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
All depends on requirements.

Buy both. :fyeah:

Buy CHinook and lease Mi26 from Russian companies only when needed for specific heavy lifts (like recovering a downed Chinook on top of a mountain?). I'm sure with the Chinook in the IAF inventory the need for Mi26 will be very minimal.

Immanuel

Country flag
Just get both, I think would be nice to have a 30 Mi-26T2 to be used extensivley for transport. Updated MI-26T2 looks better must say, with a large enough orders we can have most of the spares being made locally to keep it flying as needed. They can be supported by AH-64s or LCH's guarding it against any incoming attacks. To deploy it into war in a high threat area is not advisable without propoer aerial and ground cover, it makes for an obvious easy target.

Also order the Chinook around 60 of them as well as the V-22. V-22 could be very useful for sf insertions. Ideal for Garud, Marcos and Para-SF

http://www.rostvertolplc.ru/en/product/mi-26/version/mi-26t2/

Last edited:

p2prada

Is there an inspection agreement for aircraft introduced in 1962?
Yes. That's because the inspection is primarily for electronics which will be more modern.

The EUM does not really affect IAF when it comes to transport aircraft and helicopters which are small in number. Apart from that we can decide when and where the inspection happens. Also these inspections are not as intrusive as the media describes it as.

Got this from a guy who did these inspections, "If it looks like a C-130J and flies like a C-130J it is a C-130J." End of inspection.

PRajaram

MI26 has double capacity then why should India go for chinook.

Also what is the advantage of having Tandem rotor layout.
While the tail rotor is vital to keep the helicopter from rotating by its main rotor's axis, it is also a wastage of a portion of the power produced by the engine. In a tandem rotor layout, the two main rotors move in opposite direction thereby canceling the spin produce by each other. The power produced by the engine(s) is entirely used for lift and forward movement.

This is just an explanation for the question asked and not a rationalization of one being better than the other.

Last edited:

sathya

Country flag
@Adux
i read all the pages from 1 to 21.. i accept all the facts you have put forth & also by members like sancho, pmairta..

we had a great machine mi 26, job only that can do.. few required, we had few.. but could not use it (worst uptime)

now that we selected CH 47F which is tactical, more useful & etc. requirement is many (my guess) but we are ordering 15
will this number do the role as you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

mayfair

Perhaps we have roles for both the machines. I see the two of them as complementary rather than competing for the same requirements.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Chinook wins heavy lift helicopter competition

These helicopters won't be used for daily stuff, bro. In fact, the reason why we never ordered more than the 4 Mi-26s was because of its limited use in exceptional cases. Whether it is the HALO or the Chinook in this race, it will not be used the way it is used in US or Russian armies daily.
This chopper is far more than just a heavy lift. I mean look at the way the US uses it. We will certainly order more than 15 in all.

p2prada

There is a huge difference in the way we use exotic stuff like heavy lift helicopters as compared to the US. As long as there is no official confirmation we can accept that there won't be any more orders for heavy lift helicopters beyond what's in the contract, including the options.

sathya

Country flag
i wondered why only 15 copters? compared to 12 c-130j, i thought we might need more ch -47 to cover India

did a quick search , found

1. total no. of c 130 vs CH 47 built is - 2300 vs 1,179

2. cost of c 130 vs CH 47 is - US$62 million vs $35 million (2008)

3. Australia being a big continent ordered only 7 CH 47f.

so i guess very less chance for further orders..

c 130 first inducted in 1950s
CHINOOK first inducted in 1960s.. OMG so we are behind by 5-6 decades to buy, forget about design & manufacture..

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: Chinook wins heavy lift helicopter competition

Edited.. ...........................

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We have no indication on its role yet, If its use for SF role its still fall short of it & If its use for special loge tic issue over eastern front its still short on..

What i can tell is More of those machines would be very good for Army in far outposts where no airstrip exists only few helipads we still have loge-tic issues, more of these Helos could change the face out there, Army needed more ..

These helicopters won't be used for daily stuff, bro. In fact, the reason why we never ordered more than the 4 Mi-26s was because of its limited use in exceptional cases. Whether it is the HALO or the Chinook in this race, it will not be used the way it is used in US or Russian armies daily.

sathya

Country flag
most of the job which overlaps with c 130j can be done by it.. i guess

c 130 can air drop light tanks, stryker, commando s.. where ever it is possible.

less demanding jobs can be done with conventional medium & light helos

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles