Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Waffen SS

So @Damian and @militarysta which is better to counter armour, RPG 7 or Carl Gustav? India currently uses Carl Gustaf, can this defeat modern tanks? Carl Gustaf has greater Muzzle Velocity than RPG 7.

Which is better to destroy tanks RPG 7 vs Carl Gustav?

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

So @Damian and @militarysta which is better to counter armour, RPG 7 or Carl Gustav? India currently uses Carl Gustaf, can this defeat modern tanks? Carl Gustaf has greater Muzzle Velocity than RPG 7.

Which is better to destroy tanks RPG 7 vs Carl Gustav?
RPG-7 can use overcalliber warheads, which can have a greater effectiveness, like PG-7VR which is just PG-29V granade for RPG-7.

Carl Gustav is indeed more accurate and have a longer range, but it can use only 84mm rounds, which have less effectiveness than for example PG-7VR which is 105mm. Simple as that.

Both weapons have advantages and disadvantages.

apple

Apple mate, do you even think before you write/post ?

How many Indians you know like or support Hitler or deny Holocaust, ever ? Or, even hinted at anything like that ? Your blatant stereotyping is too gross, misinformed & unacceptable to even comment on that....
WaffenSS and Pmaitra, for a start. Read the "20th. centuries greatest villian" (or whatever the thread was caused) on this forum, were posters were lining up to defend Hitler.

I have been very well informed, mainly from this site, of the (incomprehensible to my imagination) support for Hitler that seems to be present in India.

Wonder if your "allies" in the Israeli embassy were fans of Hitler the musical

ramakrishna

was searching images for Indian army and this image got my attention ... is this real or fake ????

ramakrishna

The BM Bulat Ukrain's main battle tank (MBT), also known as Obyekt 447AM-1, is a modernised version of the T-64B MBT

for more images of BM Bulat MBT ... visit here

Damian

Something interesting:

Based on these photos and meassuring tool present on them, one of my Russian collegues from Ovtaga2004 forums, meassured that front turret armor module of the Chinese ZTZ-98/99 tank have a thickness of only ~600-610mm. Also we should remember that due to module design and how it is attached to the turret, means that real thickness of composite insert inside a module, would be approx half the thickness of the whole module.

Waffen SS

So @Damian, @militarysta in case of penetrating modern armour which matters most muzzle velocity or diameter of warhead or explosive weight? Such as Carl Gustaf has high velocity but only 84 mm warhead while RPG 7 low muzzle velocity but different large warheads?

Damian

So @Damian, @militarysta in case of penetrating modern armour which matters most muzzle velocity or diameter of warhead or explosive weight? Such as Carl Gustaf has high velocity but only 84 mm warhead while RPG 7 low muzzle velocity but different large warheads?
There are different variables.

In case of kinetic energy projectiles fired from tanks guns, most important are muzzle velocity, penetrator density, hardness, material from which it is made, penetrator diameter etc.

In case of shaped charges fired from RPG's or CG, penetration depth depends on warhead calliber (it's diameter), cone shape, it's quality, explosive filler etc.

However the general rule in case of shaped charges is, that the greater shaped charge diameter, the greater penetration capability have shaped charge jet.

methos

Country flag
Based on these photos and meassuring tool present on them, one of my Russian collegues from Ovtaga2004 forums, meassured that front turret armor module of the Chinese ZTZ-98/99 tank have a thickness of only ~600-610mm.
No, that is not correct. The measuring triangle's hypotenuse is larger than 300 mm (see the first picture for reference, in the second it seems to be even larger than 330 mm because the corner's are not labelled). The red line's length is about two and a fourth of the triangle's hypotenuse - so it should be at least 675 mm long (740 mm).
Then the angle of the red line is off by 4.3° (assumed that the slot for the main gun mantlet in the upper left corner is along the line of sight). This difference seems minor, but it still exists.

Damian

No, that is not correct. The measuring triangle's hypotenuse is larger than 300 mm (see the first picture for reference, in the second it seems to be even larger than 330 mm because the corner's are not labelled). The red line's length is about two and a fourth of the triangle's hypotenuse - so it should be at least 675 mm long (740 mm).
Then the angle of the red line is off by 4.3° (assumed that the slot for the main gun mantlet in the upper left corner is along the line of sight). This difference seems minor, but it still exists.
Well, I was not making these estimations, so I can't really say anything more about it. Just sharing what was found.

Sovngard

Something interesting:
due to module design and how it is attached to the turret, means that real thickness of composite insert inside a module, would be approx half the thickness of the whole module.
Why half of the module's thickness ? Because it is sloped ?

Shaped charges penetration capabilities are mainly defined by :

Their diameter.
Liner material (steel, copper or DU)
Weight of explosive filling.
Mixtures and types of explosive used.
The distance at which the shaped charge will detonates against the armor.

methos

Country flag
Why half of the module's thickness ? Because it is sloped ?
Because the cavity covered by the steel plate (in pciture 2 the measurement tool is located on top of it) seems to be empty besides some rather large bolts connecting the detachable armour module to the turret.

militarysta

I agree with Methos, long time ago I had tried to assumed LOS in those tank, and still I can't made better then this draw:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles