Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

I'm leaning towards the second hypothesis.
Yeah, it is very possible explanation of the origins of this name.

Later it spread like wildfire among press and general population, just like spread by military descriptions of armor design that in the end were nothing more than disinformation to give Soviets wrong impressions on armor, it's possible performance and so on.

Twinblade

Country flag
BTW: With 68 tons the Arjun Mk 2 will have one of the highest ground pressure values.
BTW if you could read you would realise that Arjun Mk2 is only one and half ton heavier than Mk1 due to addition of ERA. The rest of the weight increase is accounted to mine plough.

The Arjun Mark II's most remarkable feature is its extra weight, 3-4 tonnes more than the earlier 62-tonne Arjun. For years the army criticised the Arjun as too heavy for India's road and rail infrastructure; now it wants modifications that will make the Arjun heavier. Fitting Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) plates on the tank has boosted crew protection, but also increases the weight by one and a half tonnes. An equivalent increase comes from added mine ploughs, which churn up the ground ahead of the tank, uprooting explosive mines that would otherwise blow up the tank.
Broadsword: Heavier, more lethal Arjun tank poised for trials

Damian

obj 477 molot...

Interesting thing is, that Object 477 is still classified even after all these years after it was cancelled. So this is the only existing, poor quality photo of this tank avaiable for general public, while I would definetely want to see a high quality photos of it with details.

Dazzler

Interesting thing is, that Object 477 is still classified even after all these years after it was cancelled. So this is the only existing, poor quality photo of this tank avaiable for general public, while I would definetely want to see a high quality photos of it with details.
if i remember, it was undertaken by spetmash bureau.

Damian

if i remember, it was undertaken by spetmash bureau.
No, Object 477 is from Ukraine, developed by Kharkiv Morozov Design Bureau and manufactured at Malyshev Factory in Kharkiv.

methos

Country flag
Exactly as I expected. Typical. I mention 2 research papers, 3 book titles and 2 further authors, but my post gets deleted with the note "Provide source to back up claims, Be civil and don`t put your words in other`s mouth, As you were ..".

That's exactly the right way to discuss, Kunal :thumb:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
what research papers ? Anyone can type it and upload it here and your claim are really funny without a research like about suspension , ground pressure

militarysta

till now only methos provide in this thema (in last few pages) realible sources.

But it was not common whit Kunal thinking so Kunal had cenzored this topic.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Dear Methos, If you have those scan and post or if have PDF post, If nothing please try to find or if still not found, Keep quite ..

About Ground pressure, You are simply trolling because your are on purpose ignoring facts which are told and provided to you ..

That is trolling, So don`t make noises if your post get deleted ..

Exactly as I expected. Typical. I mention 2 research papers, 3 book titles and 2 further authors, but my post gets deleted with the note "Provide source to back up claims, Be civil and don`t put your words in other`s mouth, As you were ..".

That's exactly the right way to discuss, Kunal :thumb:
till now only methos provide in this thema (in last few pages) realible sources.

But it was not common whit Kunal thinking so Kunal had cenzored this topic.

Andrei_bt

23 years after Soviet Union being dissolved. You don't want to say that Ukraine with it's economic problems was continuing this program?
I want to say you don't have an idea on this.
And to add something it was with russian assistance up to start 2000-s.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles