bhramos

Country flag
Firepower - Battle Tanks

just for a change, MBT's

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
[
According to this article the new vehicle will be a joint enterprise with India's BEML corporation. India's requirement is the vehicle has to be able to be deployed by helicopters (by hanging it under the chopper):
http://www.altair.com.pl/start-4150

Sir, are we equal/risk sharing partner or we are just MKIing(best word i can think at this point) this tank? Asking so because article doesn't talk much about it.

Basic hull design seems to be very versatile. It can also be developed into new generation IFV/ICVs for our army..

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Sir, are we equal/risk sharing partner or we are just MKIing(best word i can think at this point) this tank? Asking so because article doesn't talk much about it.

Basic hull design seems to be very versatile. It can also be developed into new generation IFV/ICVs for our army..
may be that article is directly aiming 165 light tanks competition for IA, which might get deployed in NE India.
if this tank wins the competition, then will developed of produced in India with BEML corporation.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

This is concept 'Light Tank' on BMP-2 by DRDO at DEFXPO-10. Though i am not sure, may be picture owner Sayareakd can put some light on it.

pic copyright Sayareakd(DFI)

Rahul Singh

Country flag
may be that article is directly aiming 165 light tanks competition for IA, which might get deployed in NE India.
if this tank wins the competition, then will developed of produced in India with BEML corporation.
So it means that 'Joint Development' is just bluffing. Anyway best deal for us will be to buy design of hull and choose rest by self. I think we should use Arjun's main gun, choose MTU engine or indigenous one(if and when it is available), electronics and sights could be one being used on Arjun and rest from own industry(which are required and can be integrated). This way we will add worth to the money spent.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This is concept 'Light Tank' on BMP-2 by DRDO at DEFXPO-10. Though i am not sure, may be picture owner Sayareakd can put some light on it.

pic copyright Sayareakd(DFI)
This is a mobile 105 mm howitzer..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Stryker mobile gun system
This seems to be good system for plains but i suspect that wheeled version of light tanks are not that good in mountain terrain, specially in himalayan and sub-himalayan.
Seeking expert comments..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So it means that 'Joint Development' is just bluffing. Anyway best deal for us will be to buy design of hull and choose rest by self. I think we should use Arjun's main gun, choose MTU engine or indigenous one(if and when it is available), electronics and sights could be one being used on Arjun and rest from own industry(which are required and can be integrated). This way we will add worth to the money spent.
I have made a separate thread for this light tank..
Also i have added some extra info..

http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/sh...-Polish-Indo-light-tank..?p=155206#post155206

This seems to be good system for plains but i suspect that wheeled version of light tanks are not that good in mountain terrain, specially in himalayan and sub-himalayan.
Seeking expert comments..
Wheeled version would preform better in narrow passes specially in NE also can be use in J&K!

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Specification for Light tank:

1. 120mm Main gun in Unmanned turret..
Slovaks are to provide cannon, which will be assembled in India, BEML will produce the fuselage of the vehicle also engine..
If main gun is 120mm then why not Arjun's gun in Indian version? Is there an technical mismatch?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If main gun is 120mm then why not Arjun's gun in Indian version? Is there an technical mismatch?
I guess, yes coz Arjun gun is one of the most powerful and longest one in IA, their must be technical difficulties to mount it on a unmanned turret..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I know, i may sound stupid and naive but let me dare ask. Can't same be done to Arjun's gun like one is done on regular assault rifle to convert it into a carbine?

Agantrope

165 Light tank are for Wheeled ones with the MGS. I think this is nothing to do with it, finally we got some new technology access.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I know, i may sound stupid and naive but let me dare ask. Can't same be done to Arjun's gun like one is done on regular assault rifle to convert it into a carbine?
Their are lots of factors which may prevent to reduce a original tank gun to a smaller one, the change may requre lots of other modification on the gun which may result into a new type..
lets wait till September and we will know whats coming for us..

bhramos

Country flag
I would like to post features about Abhay IFV.

why was it rejected???

BunBunCake

@Brahmos, the tank was never rejected. It's mainly just a technology demonstrator.---For now.

This is definitely a state of the art tank! DRDO shouldn't stop it's development on this tank. Technologies here could definably be used on future tanks, and technology India gets from this Polish/Indo tank will also be useful for us!

Finally we're talking here!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles