Letter: DFI to Defence Minister: Please don't kill Tejas Mk2

Will this letter make a difference?

• Its got a snowball's chance in hell.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Better to try than sit and do nothing.

Votes: 58 70.7%
  • I don't think Tejas Mk2 should happen.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

MKM

Country flag
Actually No..if HAL increases it's production rate to 24 fighters per year..then we can easily catch up to the numbers(remember we are also adding 3 sq of Su30MKI & 2 of Rafale in the meantime).
Problem is that MoD has ordered just 84 MK1A.
250+85+9 squadrons mean more than 500.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
tejas is the door of indigestion of aviation industry ...

so we should support all ....

even Pakistan support their junk fighter 17

Kchontha

Country flag
Indegenisation of defence products is the mantra if India wants to be a political, economic and military superpower in the future. India should shed off the "biggest arm importer tag" within foreseeable future by investing heavily on Defence related r&d. A nation can't be a superpower by spending lavishly the texpayers' money on imports of expensive defence products. If the technologies are not available in house then it can be co developed with other countries or it can be procured off the shelf. Every OEMs will be very much willing to co developed any defence products with India seeing the big business opportunities lying ahead. If the technologies are available in house then no need for looking for those elsewhere. If you have the industrial backups for indegenous defence products then you should encourage and move foreword.

pratul_09

Country flag
Even though we need to save money we also need to be self reliant when the need arises. For this we need to stop buying and do research and development. So we need Tejas today if we are to build something later. We don't want to repeat the Marut episode over again. Can we not start a campaign just like the liberals do everyday to gain publicity. Each one of us can ask our friends and relatives to join too

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kay

Sidd

We need to state the fact that to develop our defence industry and to create more JOBS we need to support indeginous products such as Tejas,we can give multiple examples of LRU/system developed by our industry;only this way we can create our own indeginous MIC.
We if need to import,it's better to import equipment or module rather than full fighter aircraft.

We need to compile this letter ASAP.

pmaitra

BTW, if the letter is going to get signed as "from all members of DFI", we would first need admin's (@Yusuf @LurkerBaba ) permission. And IMHO they will be the ones who will approve the final draft of this letter and then mail it. Also, can we forward copies to PMO, Air HQ, HAL and ADA (and maybe to Sandeep Unnithan?)
I agree with your sentiment. HAL LCA sans suffixe should not be killed and it should be put in production.

I do not think we can send a letter "signed" by all members without the explicit permission of every member, which is impossible to gather. I recommend members who consent to their "sign" being on the letter like the opening post of this thread. DFI cannot unilaterally speak on behalf of every member. Thereafter, if the administrators agree, we can send a petition on behalf on only those members who have given their explicit consent and approval (via a like) to the final draft of the letter.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
@Adioz
You should lead this thread and try to make it a active thread.

Also, I have a suggestion for all LCA lovers that there should be a social media campaign and it must have dedicated active members in lead.

Think about it for once...

Tejas MK2 is still in "Go or No go" status...

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
I do not think we can send a letter "signed" by all members without the explicit permission of every member, which is impossible to gather. I recommend members who consent to their "sign" being on the letter like the opening post of this thread. DFI cannot unilaterally speak on behalf of every member. Thereafter, if the administrators agree, we can send a petition on behalf on only those members who have given their explicit consent and approval (via a like) to the final draft of the letter.
Did not want to chip in my name as I thought it was going to be an effort of DFIians, but then after this post, thought should make it explicit. Count me in.
My apologies for not chipping in useful counter arguments against F-16/etc, etc, as I am not sound technically on the subject. But, keep the suggestions/arguments/counter-arguments coming in.

Kyubi

Country flag
I believe this is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to support this cause. Dear Mods please consider my support for this endeavour .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kay

Country flag
US killed Israeli Lavi and Canadian Avro Arrows and refused tech for South Korean KFX project. They are all US friends and allies.
We need the letter ASAP.

cyclops

Country flag
I believe its not enough to forward a letter alone, to the statesmen.

We should follow the example of 4chan posters and inundate social media with pro Tejas and pro indigenous R&D messages, anti American products and the like.

Trend twitter hastags and flood facebook so other people who are sympathetic to the cause can also rally behind it.

There has to be an organised social media revolution of sorts, make people forcefully recognise the issue and not just depend on the benevolence of BABUS.

Kyubi

Country flag
Would a change.org petition as first step help? Especially since the current DM is active on social media
Ya that would be great. Some one with who could lucidly explain the necessity of Tejas and its derivatives would greatly add value to the proposed letter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Prashant12

Country flag
As Army evaluates foreign missile systems, govt considers building indigenous variant under Make in India

A defence ministry proposal has suggested that the DRDO develop very short-range air defence systems under Make in India even as the Army looks at foreign vendors for a similar missile system.

Even as the army evaluates the missile systems of global vendors for a deal expected to be worth over Rs 12,000 crore, the defence ministry is moving towards indigenous development of similar very short-range air defence systems to promote Make in India.

A discussion took place at a high-level meeting in the defence ministry by top government and military officials where it was proposed that the DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) should go ahead to develop the Very Short Range Air Defence System (VSHORAD) in the country itself, defence sources told Mail Today.

The development is taking place at a time when foreign vendors from three countries - Russia, France and Sweden - have fielded their systems for procurement by the Army to replace their vintage IGLA shoulder-fired air defence systems.

The plan to develop the missile system which can strike targets at ranges of six to seven kms indigenously is being considered as the NDA government has come up with a missile policy which states that the country should become self-reliant in fields of missile by the year 2022, the sources said.

In recent times, the NDA government has moved very fast in favour of indigenous missile systems over the ones to be procured from foreign vendors as it decided to go in for home grown Akash air defence missiles over the ones developed by foreign vendors which were being tried by the army.

The government is also thinking of doing away with the plans to build a single-engine fighter aircraft programme in favour of the light combat aircraft Tejas which is still in the evolution stage in terms of technology and capabilities.

The ongoing global tender for the VSHORADS is also moving very slowly as after over five years in trials and re-trials, the defence ministry has reached the general staff evaluation stage and formed a technical oversight committee to look into the procedures followed by the tender procedure.

Under VSHORAD tender, Indian Army and Indian Navy plan to procure 5,175 missiles and 1,276 single and multi-launchers worth over Rs 15,000 crore with the transfer of technology to Indian defence sector partner for local manufacturing in the country.

Sources in the army said even though every contender has been given opportunity to make themselves compliant with the requirements of the tender as some of them were non-compliant in some fields.

The army has been giving chances to the vendors as it does not want to come to a single vendor situation as the defence ministry is strictly against single-vendor cases as they create a monopoly situation.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...us-variant-under-make-in-india/1/1091365.html

SanjeevM

Country flag
Did we send the letter to RM? I believe reading the letter RM should take initiatives to end the suspense around foreign single engine jets.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles