LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Roland55

Country flag
@Roland55
Being in South America, do you have a view on Mk1A sales prospects on your continent? I think of Colombia and Peru which I understand need to replace their old fighters.

PS I am aware that Colombia was reported to have selected Rafale but it seems could not raise the funds to do a deal last year.
Well... I'm not so sure, Colombia was looking at both F-16s and Rafale, Perú is going to need a replacement for both Mirage 2000 and Mig-29, Uruguay is looking for something to replace it's old A-37s, Ecuador will eventually need something to replace its Cheetah/kfir, Paraguay has no fighters on its inventory, Bolivia literally has only a few K-8s left..I could go on, but it all depends on what the country wants and how much can afford (also geopolitics)..

We probably will have to wait until the IAF starts inducing it in large numbers and other air forces send exchange pilots..:hmm:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Not so significant... The BVR launchers are themselves lighter than CCMs with their launchers (assuming the missiles will be gone by the time of high-AoA).
I didnt mean high g, I meant the fluid forces from high AOA due to much higher surface area of the dual pylons that we have seen in renders.
Some other designs (like ones on Jf17) have much lower surface area and should be fine

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Well... I'm not so sure, Colombia was looking at both F-16s and Rafale, Perú is going to need a replacement for both Mirage 2000 and Mig-29, Uruguay is looking for something to replace it's old A-37s, Ecuador will eventually need something to replace its Cheetah/kfir, Paraguay has no fighters on its inventory, Bolivia literally has only a few K-8s left..I could go on, but it all depends on what the country wants and how much can afford (also geopolitics)..

We probably will have to wait until the IAF starts inducing it in large numbers and other air forces send exchange pilots..:hmm:
The United States will keep offering old F-16 airframes and undercut every other seller.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag

Ecuador is not going to buy anything from India for a short while. Nor we want to risk selling something without maintenance package

Roland55

Country flag
The United States will keep offering old F-16 airframes and undercut every other seller.
Yeah, in that regard they are very competitive, our case with the F-16, Brazil with the F-5s (Brazil was about to buy J-7s from china), etc...etc.

South america might be a very challenging place to achive a sell, what about Armenia or even Sri Lanka?

karn

Country flag
Is there any place I can read all the modifications to the Tejas mk1a from the original foc version . I'm not asking about the big items like radar but like what was done to optimise for weight and ease of maintenance

binayak95

Country flag
Yeah, in that regard they are very competitive, our case with the F-16, Brazil with the F-5s (Brazil was about to buy J-7s from china), etc...etc.

South america might be a very challenging place to achive a sell, what about Armenia or even Sri Lanka?
SL doesnt have any liquidity in its own economy.
Armenia is a possibility but HAL really needs to ramp up its production for that to happen.

Blackmamba

Country flag

I doubt India or China can make any headway selling weapon to latin america. US will not allow any power in western hemisphere, monroe doctrine is central to US foreign policy . Argentina needs to sort out its own economy, 2 decades of hyperinflation has badly affected Argentina .

DumbPilot

Country flag
Tejas firing Astra in dcs
what the hell is that maneuver after he fires lol. looks pretty but definitely not realistic. would be better IMO if we had a complete 2ship BVR flow with the Tejas against something like the Mirage/JF17/F16/Flanker

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
what the hell is that maneuver after he fires lol. looks pretty but definitely not realistic. would be better IMO if we had a complete 2ship BVR flow with the Tejas against something like the Mirage/JF17/F16/Flanker
That's how lot of BVR duels happen. You lanch & immediately turn away to not close in the distance.Here's a famous set of pics

And with the Python-5 he's doing the same maneuver since by Tejas in airshows. It's for show i suppose.

DumbPilot

Country flag
That's how lot of BVR duels happen. You lanch & immediately turn away to not close in the distance.

Here's a famous set of pics
It really depends on your distance and the capability of the enemy EW. Here is a good chart for the same:

1713764420870.png

If you're within the MAR(minimum abort range), then depending on the situation, you will either bug out(short skate) or commit directly straight ahead into WVR(banzai), which is what happened in 2019 with Abhinandan if I understand it correctly. If you are at DOR(decided out range), you can either continue with the crank or bug out(skate).

At each stage you can fire a missile and decide to either continue or not - sometimes the missile you're firing might not even be meant to kill the bandit, it's meant more as a deterrence meant to make the other guy go cold.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Lil' something extra, just for DFI lads..

View attachment 249876View attachment 249877
most likely IJT or if it ever happens, HLFT-42 will take place of retiring Hawks or those Kirans if any in service

Tejas part of Surya Kiran aerobatics team seems overkill for us, 'specially when we direly needs numbers in actual fighting squadrons

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles