Know Your 'Rafale'

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
India Will Buy 36 Rafale Jets in Fly-Away Condition From France, Says PM Modi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi shakes hands with French President Francois Hollande after their joint statement at the Elysee Palace in Paris on Friday. (Agence France-Presse)

Paris: India will buy 36 French-manufactured Rafale fighter jets off the shelf, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Friday evening, after a meeting with President of France Francois Hollande in Paris. Sources said the Rafale deal could now be for 144 jets instead of 126.

Here are the latest developments in the story:
"I asked the President to supply us with 36 Rafale jet fighter planes, the ready-to-fly models," the Prime Minister said at a joint news conference.
He said terms and conditions of the contract have yet to be finalised and officials from both sides would work out the details.

The original plan was for India to buy 18 off-the-shelf jets from France's Dassault Aviation, with 108 others being assembled in India by the
state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited or HAL in Bengaluru.

Sources said if negotiations work out, India would buy 144 aircraft, 18 more than the original 126, ensuring that 108 jets will still be assembled at home.

The Modi government, the sources said, will not give up its Make In India push to promote manufacturing at home and to build a domestic military-industrial base.

"The French President has supported Make In India. It is not a project, it is a thought," PM Modi said.

"France has always been a reliable supplier for India from jet fighters to submarines," the Prime Minister said.

India is ordering the 36 off-the shelf Rafale fighters to speed up the purchase and immediately give the air force two squardons of the jets that it desperately needs to upgrade its ageing fleet, sources said.

For three years, the Rafale deal has been mired in extensive negotiations. Dassault has been reluctant to provide guarantees for the aircraft that are produced in India.

The Rafale was chosen in 2012 over rival offers from the United States, Europe and Russia.

The original proposal for 126 fighter jets was worth at least 12 million dollars.

India Will Buy 36 Rafale Jets in Fly-Away Condition From France, Says PM Modi

Last edited:

EXPERT

I think all these 36 are trainers, or maybe one squadron of trainers and one with fighters...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
What are the chances that these 36 rafales are the ones that are supposed to go to Qatar?

link: awdnews.com/top-news/11413-france-to-suspend-sale-of-36-rafale-fighter-jets-to-qatar.html

According to Al-Masry Al-Youm, an Egyptian daily newspaper, the French ambassador in Cairo has informed the Egyptian officials that Paris will delay the delivery of 36 Rafale jets to Qatar until the end of 2020 due to Doha's unwavering support for fanatic Islamic rebels in war-torn Syria. Mr. Nicolas Galey, the French ambassador in Cairo, has purportedly told Egyptian foreign minister that Paris fears that Qatar – as one of the primary supporters of Muslin Brotherhood– might help Al Qaeda-affiliated groups with French-made military weaponry.

Blackwater

Will take legal recourse if Narendra Modi government goes ahead with Rafale deal: Subramanian Swamy

NEW DELHI:BJPleaderSubramanian Swamytoday threatened to take legal recourse if government went ahead with Rafale jet deal with France, saying there were shortcomings in the fighter aircraft.

Swamy, National Executive member of the party, requested Prime MinisterNarendra Modinot to go ahead with the Rafale deal, which was negotiated by the previousUPAgovernment, and said the performance of the French jet "turned out to be worst of all the aircraft" in Libya and Egypt.

Modi is currently in France and will hold comprehensive talks with the French leadership during which theRafale dealis likely to figure.

"There are two major issues with the Rafale Aircraft deal which would embarrass the BJP government. The first is that Rafale is less fuel efficient aircraft and lacking in essential performance characteristic that no country in the world has agreed to buy these aircraft," Swamy said in a statement.

"If the Prime Minister for some other 'compulsion' decides to go ahead with the deal, I will have no option but to approach the court in PIL to get it set aside," he said.

The statement further said that some countries have cancelled contract after signing an MoU with Dassault.

"It is a fact that Dassault will go bankrupt if no country buys the Rafale and we want to oblige the French goodwill, it is better to buy Dassault itself rather than their planes as it will be more beneficial," the leader added.

Rafale was selected by India from among five bidders in 2012 since it was the lowest bidder.

While initially, the deal was expected to be around $ 10 billion, it is now estimated to be over $ 20 billion.

Will take legal recourse if Narendra Modi government goes ahead with Rafale deal: Subramanian Swamy - The Economic Times

what to do for this retard??

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

tharki men with paris mayor, look at everybody eyes
14 are going to be 2 seaters it seems.
not to insinuate against anyone, but just for the sake of this forum, .....
now that we can see the appetizer with our own eyes,
so we know why it is gong to be two-seater !
except that the seats will be arranged a bit differently from the usual
it might be one on top of the other - requires tall cockpit !!

so folks, that 's it - .....it's as good as done ........., dassault industries has got the job !!
imho wrong decision and rather expensive but i have to admit i dont have the TOT details
and that holds they key

.......if we are REALLY getting the right amount and type of TOT we need ,

- then fine !

There was a demand and hance they raised proposal to MoD for setting up two dedicated squadrons of fighter aircrafts.
And it was reported by Hindustan Times on 12/09/2010.
Now help yourself.
i guess i owe you an explanation and im not squirming on this one , if you could trust me
my mistake is that i didnt pepper my sarcastic comments about the photo with smileys
to show that it was that type of a comment ....hope you were not too irritated , sir.

stilll i feel better than Uk.US and Ruuslaan.
France is better and reliable partner and machine
well i cant prove you wrong !
my preferred order puts russians above usa and uk so on that were in agreement

as for france - i find that they are less reliable than the former soviets
as for whether they're more reliable than the new state of russia
i'd say it's too early to tell and previous experience puts them on par

it's too close a call and so i'd stick with the ruskies
based on past ( not an accurate comparison , i'd admit )
the french are just too clever and too unreliable
or perhaps i have been influenced by the brits ! :thumb:

Will take legal recourse if Narendra Modi government goes ahead with Rafale deal: Subramanian Swamy
"It is a fact that Dassault will go bankrupt if no country buys the Rafale and we want to oblige the French goodwill, it is better to buy Dassault itself rather than their planes as it will be more beneficial," the leader added.
While initially, the deal was expected to be around $ 10 billion, it is now estimated to be over $ 20 billion.
what to do for this retard??
@Blackwater let me also invite your response on the v interesting points in you r post
above ( abridged )
is it true the cast has inflated up - by 100 % adding another 10 billion ?
Is it true we are purchasing a hefty cost product from a company which would otherwise go defunct ?

most grateful for your comment and indeed from others too

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

not to insinuate against anyone, but just for the sake of this forum, .....
now that we can see the appetizer with our own eyes,
so we know why it is gong to be two-seater !
except that the seats will be arranged a bit differently from the usual
it might be one on top of the other - requires tall cockpit !!

so folks, that 's it - .....it's as good as done ........., dassault industries has got the job !!
imho wrong decision and rather expensive but i have to admit i dont have the TOT details
and that holds they key

.......if we are REALLY getting the right amount and type of TOT we need ,

- then fine !
stilll i feel better than Uk.US and Ruuslaan.

France is better and reliable partner and machine

Bheeshma

Egypt paid 5.7 bil USD for 24 rafales and a FREMM frigate and associated weapons.

right wing

Country flag
Both the deals r seperate,and mmrca big deal is also on trackPM Modi with France President Hollande at the Press Statement: https://youtu.be/r0fSg6cA-DY i feels its pretty clear if we bother to listen at least what the pm is saying.
Clearly mentions abt alt n new arrangemnt fr these36
nxt line goes onto say how make in india is ntonly his commitment,but also committd to by hollande n french cos regarding joint production projects....as of now only jp project where m.i.n can be involvd is mmrca deal (scorpene is almost over,others r pipe dreams ntender phase now,with no guarantee of french win).
So its pretty clear that both deals will run simultaneously n has MODI written all ovr it,as stated by our yusuf sir.

right wing

Country flag
In fact even if we sign mmrca today,tot n others mean hal delivers first rafale only by 19 (no credit goes to modi 1),secondly air force will go mad.
insted cleverly modi ensures 36 jets by 2018(sure)...modi achievemnt and airforce gets jets needed to train,learn simulate combat etc etc,n they will be joind by another 18 which is fly by shelf in the mmrca deal as well..54 jets enough i guess.
remaining 108 or more(if option of 63 invoked) begin serial production by 18,if deal signed this yr(i bet modi will).so hal also gets time enough to prepare itself without harming the airforce.
and as a result of getting these 36 jets to be buolt in france,even dassault's money problems solvd,now complete tot,on which we r haggling will get resolved as well
so ultimately,if things work out,the way pm has plannd,
1.we will hav 54 rafales by 19
2.airforce happy
3.hal happy+m.i.n under modi wud be better pursued than during mule regime.
4.modi can show something to china n public before 19
5.dassault ko bhi hapi kiya isliye,mmrca gets sorted out.
6.france also happy.
7.overall cost also a tad bit lower,due to greater off shelf purchase early on,n more desi production later on.

pramsin

Country flag
Neither su-30 Nor mig-29 can replace mmrca.
So getting mmrca deal is must and should.
But as said by Air Chief Marshal it is no necessary that it should be Rafale itself.
It is necessary to have plan B, may be Eurofighter or Mig-35.

French just gave low price to get the contract. They new well that it will take time to sign the deal and by then they can increase the price. Should not buy more than 50 Rafale to use as stop gap measure and then work faster on Tejus MK II and should make 2 engine veriant for Tejus MK II.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Kunal I just wanted to know that will this be an end to MMRCA .

Juts like mirage will the numbers be kept to the one stated yesterday by PM i.e. 36.

AS THE FRENCH SAID THAT THE PM OF INDIA WILL COMMENT ON RAFALE.
BOTH OF THEM AVOIDED TO COMMENT ON MMRCA BUT NEUTRALISED IT BY MAKING A STATEMENT TO BUY 36 FLY AWAT RAFALE IN GOVT TO GOVT DEAL.

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
IAF pushed for direct purchase of 2 Rafale fighter squadrons

The Indian Air Force had pushed for direct purchase of two squadrons of French Rafale fighters to scale up its dwindling combat capabilities, especially in the backdrop of a combined threat from China and Pakistan, defence sources said.

India requires 45 fighter squadrons urgently to counter a "two-front threat – from China and Pakistan – but has only 34 squadrons with about 18 planes each.

On Friday, PM Narendra Modi announced that India would purchase 36 of these fighter planes that are ready to fly, citing critical operational requirement of the IAF.

India and France were locked in negotiations for three years over the purchase of 126 Rafale fighter jets valued at $12 billion but has been bogged down over cost and Dassault Aviation's reluctance to stand guarantee for 108 planes to be made by state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). "Keeping in mind critical operational necessity of fighter jets in India, I have talked to him (Hollande) and requested for 36 Rafale jets in fly-away condition as quickly as possible under
government-to-government deal," Modi said.

HT reported on Friday that India was seriously considering the strategic purchase of up to 40 Rafale fighters through the government-to-government route to boost the IAF's combat readiness.

India had selected Rafale fighters over Typhoons in January, 2012 after the French firm Dassault Aviation emerged as the lowest bidder.

IAF chief Arup Raha told HT last September that it was critical to keep the Rafale fighter deal on schedule as the IAF could not afford any more delays.

India is years behind the Chinese military with its neighbour currently outnumbering the country's combat power by a 3:1 ratio

IAF pushed for direct purchase of 2 Rafale fighter squadrons | idrw.org

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
India to buy 36 Rafale jets in fly away shape, HAL to build 108 after technology transfer

Marking a breakthrough in the protracted talks in the French Rafale jet deal, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced that India will purchase 36 of these fighter planes that are ready to fly, citing critical operational requirement of the IAF.

The announcement was made by Modi at a joint news conference with French President Francois Hollange after their summit talks at Elysee palace.

India and France were locked in negotiations for three years over the purchase of 126 Rafale fighter jets valued at $12 billion but has been bogged down over cost and Dassault Aviation's reluctance to stand guarantee for 108 planes to be made by state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited(HAL).

"Keeping in mind critical operational necessity of fighter jets in India, I have talked to him(Hollande) and requested for 36 Rafale jets in fly-away condition as quickly as possible under government-to-government deal," Modi said.

An agreement on proceeding forward on the stalled nuclear project in Jaitapur in Maharashtra was among the 17 pacts signed after the talks between Modi and Hollande.

The Jaitapur project, where French company Areva is to set up six nuclear reactors with total power generation capacity of about 10,000 MW, is stuck for long because of differences over the cost of electricity to be generated.

The agreement between India's Larsen and Toubro and France's AREVA is aimed at cost reduction by increasing localisation, to improve financial viability of Jaitapur project.

Another pact related to Pre-engineering agreementsbetween NPCIL and AREVA in connection with studies that is intended to bring clarity on all technical aspects of the plant so that all parties(AREVA, ALSTOM and NPCIL) can firm up their price and optimise all provisions for risks still included at this stage in the costs of the project.

It will also enable transfer of technology and development of indigenous nuclear energy industry in India.

France also informed India of its decision to implement a scheme for expedited 48 hours visa issuance for Indian tourists.

"There is no such sphere where India and France are not cooperating. France is among India's most valued friend," Modi said.

France also announced an investment of €2 billion (about $1 billion) in India as Modi invited French
companies to pump in money in technology in the fastest growing economy.

France will invest 2 billion euros in India, Hollande announced at a CEO forum here.

Inviting French investors, Modi said, "There is no bigger market than India. It is also the fastest growing economy since the last six months. Various rating agencies like World Bank and Moodys have said in one voice that India is the fastest growing nation.

"It is rare to find a country with a market, with the government determined on development and demographic dividend. Investors are usually worried about the security of intellectual property (IP). Only democracies like India can guarantee that," he said.

Addressing a CEOs forum, Hollande said: "We are ready to allocate through French companies 2 billion euros to support India's sustainable development."

He said France will partner India in Urban development of infrastructure like railways and defence and nuclear sector.

Noting that President Hollande has supported 'Make in India' initiative especially in defence sector, Modi said at the joint news conference that the two countries have decided that the Rafale jets will be provided to India in modified terms and conditions.

"Today, we have taken defence cooperation between India and France to new levels."

"I had very good talks with President Hollande. Our defence sector ties are old. In defence equipment and
technology. France has always been a reliable supplier. From fighter jets to submarines, our ties have been foremost," he said.

Modi said that in the area of Nuclear power, France has been a major partner with India.

"I am happy that in Jaitapur, we have made progress on setting up 6 nuclear power projects. Both have signed an agreement on reducing the cost of power production and more technical support and further study.

Especially, Areva and L&T have signed an agreement for making forgings in India. I feel this agreement is very significant and will be a perfect example of 'Make in India' and will take India to a new place in the area of advance technology." he said.

On other issues, Modi noted that there is a challenging atmosphere in the world and that there is turbulence in different areas due to which all are affected. "In this changing world, there are a number of uncertain questions on tability."

"Terrorism is spreading and taking new shapes. This challenge is being tackled in different forms and to tackle that an extensive strategy is to be evolved. Be it Paris or Mumbai, India and France have understood each other," Modi said.

The prime minister said it is the responsibility of every nation to lend support in the fight against terror and not allow terror groups to take shelter and punish the terrorists as soon as possible.

"India and France similarly views these challenges and that is why we will further strengthen our security ties," he said.

India to buy 36 Rafale jets in fly away shape, HAL to build 108 after technology transfer | idrw.org

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles