Kaveri Engine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It's Official: Kaveri Will Power India's UCAV

Two bits of information from the government landed today confirming that India's in-development Kaveri turbofan is being officially looked at, in modified form, to power the country's secret stealth UCAV, codenamed AURA, a programme that was first revealed here on Livefist.

First, Indian defence minister A.K. Antony told Parliament today, "Kaveri spin-off engine can be used as propulsion system for Indian Unmanned Strike Air Vehicle (USAV)." (Never a shortage of acronyms in Indian defence projects).

A few hours later, a few kilometres away at the headquarters of the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), as part of an annual awards ceremony, scientist Vikram Singh of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) received the Young Scientist Award for his "valuable contribution in design of a controllable flying wing UCAV configuration for KAVERI Engine."
Livefist: It's Official: Kaveri Will Power India's UCAV

Nirvana

^^ this is Good new's,the 80 kn thrust engine is more than enough to power UCAV's.the gas turbine derivative can power small ships too , they have spent so much funds on this project so it's good that it can still have application.

I Won't call Kaveri a complete failure but a partial one,even the chinese are finding it hard to come up with an jet engine.

p2prada

Not bad. This would mean the UCAV will weigh around 10 tons at MTOW.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kaveri Project

Project for development of aero-engine "Kaveri" was taken up in 1989 by Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) with a sanctioned cost of Rs.382.81 Cr and Probable Date of Completion (PDC) of 1996. The cost of the project was revised to Rs.2839.00 Cr with PDC of December 2009. Further continuation of Kaveri project beyond the PDC has been approved by the Government within the sanctioned cost and scope.

Although there has been delay in this project due to certain reasons but for the first time Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) ventured to initiate engine development programme and achieved many milestones, like Official Altitude Testing, Phase-I flight trials in the Flying Test Bed, etc. Kaveri (K9) Engine was integrated with IL-76 Aircraft and flight tested for over 55 hours. This flight test envelop covered 12 Km altitude and a speed of 0.7 Mach No. Thus, DRDO demonstrated its technological capability in aero-engine technology. This has been a great achievement in the aerospace community of the country, when the first ever indigenously developed fighter aircraft engine was subjected to flight testing. Tacit knowledge acquired by the DRDO scientists during this project will also be applied for further aerospace technology. Kaveri spin-off engine can be used as propulsion system for Indian Unmanned Strike Air Vehicle (USAV).
:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Kaveri Marine Engine..

I was of the impression it was an low bypass turbo fan engine but it looks like turbojet!!! Where is the bypass area? The Fan seems to be completely ducted towards the compressor!!

Also the compressor seems to be decoupled from the primary fan? I was of the impression that the compressor drives the Fan faster but looks like it is decoupled!!!

Mores over i wonder which part will be coupled to the ships propeller, would it be the compressor end or the Fan end?

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Comparing with the GE-404 Turbo fan which is on the LCA now the Kaveri does look very perplexing!!!! The compressor is very small? The Kaveri does not look like a turbo fan but a Turbojet, the Fan is ducted to the compressor and there seems to be no bypass!!

Last edited:

Parthy

Air Warrior

Last edited by a moderator:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I dont understand what they are still testing in Russia, when it comes home it is going to get BURIED! :rip:

The French collobration for the new Rafael and AMCA engine should begin.

I dont understand why the French are delaying so much, their engine technology also sucks, compared to Euro Fighter and USA. Wonder even if they have it in them to get an 98kN engine.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
It doesn't matter if engine will be buried once it returns as long as flight testing continues to generate data for reference book. Also you need to know precisely what your short comings are before you ask some expert to sort them out.

balai_c

A very good introductory video explaining the basic functions of jet engine by a IIT professor. Extremely educational for non professionals(such as myself). Explains very well terms like bypass ratio, compressors, turbine, and the overall operation of a jet engine.If possible, go to the original site and watch all the videos! Extremely authoritative, guys!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A very good introductory video explaining the basic functions of jet engine by a IIT professor. Extremely educational for non professionals(such as myself). Explains very well terms like bypass ratio, compressors, turbine, and the overall operation of a jet engine.If possible, go to the original site and watch all the videos! Extremely authoritative, guys!!

Thanks for sharing..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles