Kashmir conflict-India should act now?

F.Faruqi

To be honest, I don't need to (and don't want to) visit Pakistan.

Regarding the response, I feel you are the person of this kind:

The lament of a modern Pakistan

This sums up all

Regarding myself, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. I don't think India or US help Taliban or that there's some global conspiracy against Pakistan. What I'm saying is yes you do need to visit Pakistan. You are probably more ignorant than me if you insist on reaching conclusions about Pakistan without knowing Pakistanis or actually seeing the country. Until you actually talk to Pakistanis to understand their sentiments and points of view, it would be ignorant of you to reach conclusions, as you have no awareness about the country or the people.

btw, you seem to be one of those people who blame Pakistan for any attack in Indian territory beore it can even be fully investigated. If that's the case, then the article
sums you up better than I.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
But as far as I'm aware, most Pakistanis know what the Taliban stand for and are against them. We've seen enough of our own perish due to suicide bombings to know what it feels like and our army has lost more than enough men trying to stop these people.

So Pakistanis are now taking credit of operations in SWAT for which they reluctant to conduct till US mounted its pressure. (GoP was making deals in SWAT during US elections).
You have lost your men more after SWAT operations than before so i am finding it difficult that pakistanis were upset about any thing with Taliban. I have hundreds of links/videos when COMMON Pakistanis are treating Taliban as their role models.

The problem here is that a common Pakistani who is not terrorist but is a culprit in a sense that they are always eager to provide comfort to men- in- charge by living in denial. Please name me a single NGO/organization who is has ever created any pressure on GoP by means of protests(you can skip this question if you think there was never a need of reform in Pakistan).

Please don't try hard to justify your army and elite's mistakes, or patient to be pronounced as brainwashed.

We don't need you to call us terrorists. As far as I'm aware Pak hasn't been supporting the Maoist rebels, why don't you go take care of them? Finding sane people in Pakistan is not a problem, but if you pay no attention to them you won't know they exist.

There is long proven(universal truth) history of Pakistan's involvement in many insurgencies in India. Now it has become a tradition in India to blame every thing on Pakistan. Does it make any difference to pakistan, Pakistan had that reputation in past and still maintains that resume, why there is an out cry? Pakistan will always be a primary suspect for any thing wrong in india; you have to learn to live with that.

You people seem to like to discuss Zaid Hamid but don't pay attention to other Pakistanis, like Edhi or Ansar Burni, who represent the better side of Pakistan. You should not reach a conclusion about the country without looking at both sides of the picture.

Yes we do care more for such voices then your own people, every time when there is some ray of hope filtering in from pakistan india has welcomed that with overwhelming response. Unfortunately these voices are rare, ineffectual and deceptive(some times). We have seen those voices being crushed with slogans of traitors, coup and so on you know what i mean.

As for your point about the army being the main sponsor of terrorism, prove it.

when you will stop asking this this question to india/indians but will dare to ask your army the life will start to improve itself.

And if the driver is proud that his brother died fighting for Pakistan in Kashmir, that's not your problem. Don't disrespect the dead, especially those who died fighting in the army for their country.

It is a very unfortunate fact that you have people in Pakistan on the disposal of state but not for the nation. Trust me the time will come when they will ask the questions to people like you that why there was need for such fatal bravery('shaheedi').
May be its impolite for outsider to comment but is fair till Pakistan is hostile to India and interfering.
regards...........................

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Regarding myself, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. I don't think India or US help Taliban or that there's some global conspiracy against Pakistan. What I'm saying is yes you do need to visit Pakistan. You are probably more ignorant than me if you insist on reaching conclusions about Pakistan without knowing Pakistanis or actually seeing the country. Until you actually talk to Pakistanis to understand their sentiments and points of view, it would be ignorant of you to reach conclusions, as you have no awareness about the country or the people.
Ok so it is like this before commenting about anything you need to visit theat country speak with number if people of that country (how many?) This is getting hilarious now.

btw, you seem to be one of those people who blame Pakistan for any attack in Indian territory beore it can even be fully investigated. If that's the case, then the article
sums you up better than I.
First of all I am not a Pakistani (and I thank god for that). It is not that every Indian is a terrorist until proven otherwise it belongs to your country. So the onus is on you

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What I'm saying is yes you do need to visit Pakistan. You are probably more ignorant than me if you insist on reaching conclusions about Pakistan without knowing Pakistanis or actually seeing the country. Until you actually talk to Pakistanis to understand their sentiments and points of view, it would be ignorant of you to reach conclusions, as you have no awareness about the country or the people.
Faruqi if I were to embark on a primary empirical investigation than yes I would've had to talk to Pakistanis to understand their PoV, why do they think the way they do think etc.

As this is not possible for most of us, the best a person can do is to read upon Pakistan and Pakistanis from as many sources as possible and then triangulate the various facts and discover a common vein. Unfortunately many of us have our pre-conceived notions which will obviously colour our views and choice of sources.

btw, you seem to be one of those people who blame Pakistan for any attack in Indian territory beore it can even be fully investigated.
This is a bane of south asian countries. The establishment is against critical understanding of history lest its heroes appear as mere mortals and its enemies as not the devil they are made out to be. The establishment and even the people would rather live in denial than admit that some of the most gory acts against the nation can be committed by their own.

Coming to India, most of the urban educated Indians (intelligentsia) has a strong voice and has seen through and protested against the many attempts by the establishment to cover the truths or subvert democracy.
The ideals enshrined during our independence struggle are thriving in India much to the dissatisfaction of our political class.

F.Faruqi

So Pakistanis are now taking credit of operations in SWAT for which they reluctant to conduct till US mounted its pressure. (GoP was making deals in SWAT during US elections).
You have lost your men more after SWAT operations than before so i am finding it difficult that pakistanis were upset about any thing with Taliban. I have hundreds of links/videos when COMMON Pakistanis are treating Taliban as their role models.

The problem here is that a common Pakistani who is not terrorist but is a culprit in a sense that they are always eager to provide comfort to men- in- charge by living in denial. Please name me a single NGO/organization who is has ever created any pressure on GoP by means of protests(you can skip this question if you think there was never a need of reform in Pakistan).
The members of the MQM on the NA walked out of the national assembly to show their dismay at the peace dealings with the Taliban.
DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Sharia for Malakand as Zardari signs law
Also, the lawyers movement was used to create pressure on this government and the last one in order to restore the Chief Justice.
Along with that, many Pakistanis also protested against the Taliban's various human rights violations, preceding the army operation in Swat.
DAWN.COM | World | Talibanisation and identity crisis
And tribals are also standing upto the Taliban, by forming Lashkars to expel them from their territory
Also recent surveys suggest that the populance has turned against the Taliban
DAWN.COM | World | Pakistanis oppose Taliban, still revile US

Yes we do care more for such voices then your own people, every time when there is some ray of hope filtering in from pakistan india has welcomed that with overwhelming response. Unfortunately these voices are rare, ineffectual and deceptive(some times). We have seen those voices being crushed with slogans of traitors, coup and so on you know what i mean.
These voices aren't that rare, you just don't seem to pay much attention to them. I'll give you an example - it seems most of the people on this board know Zaid Hamid's name, as you seem to give him a lot of coverage in India. Why is it that you can't igve the same amount of coverage to Burney, who held the rank of a minister who has worked a lot for the release of Indians help in Pakistan? There are many Pakistanis who want peace with India.

when you will stop asking this this question to india/indians but will dare to ask your army the life will start to improve itself.
A lot of Indians blame the Pakistan army for attacks in thier country and I just asked them to prove it. If you can reach such a conclusion linking Pakistan to all these attacks, then you must have some strong peace of evidence. I'm not denying Pakistanis are involved in attacks on India because regrettably a number of us probably are, but I want you to prove that our government and army are still supporting terrorists.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Well simple points:

1. Who created Taliban? (US was invovled in Afganistan but Taliban was created after US left the region). Any guessing who was controlling that?

2. Why every terror link is getting originated from Pakistan: Here is the latest: Pakistan link in UK airline bomb plot

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Faruqi........... most of us want peace- be it in India or Pakistan. Still it needs a miracle to bring in peace. Hope we will learn more from you about what common people think about India (which does not permeate upto here through the paronia prevailed in the sub-continent.) Here I just can share our point of view. We feel it very difficult to believe that opinion of your common people will ever be allowed to give any direction to Indo-Pak relation. When Indian cricket team last time went to Pakistan, Indian journalists became mesmerized by the warm welcome they received from the common people there. Reading there reports on paper we hope perhapes there is a ray of hope. Remember when the little angel Baby Noor came to Bangalore with her worried parents for a complex heart surgery....she got more than treatment ...the love and affection of Indian people. Unfortunately those are very rare incidents and time is true cruel to rub them of the memory. Perhapes the sound of explosions are too stronger to stifle the voice that call for peace. No wonder we cant forget attack in our perliament, we cant forget how Air-India plane was hijacked to release Masood Azhar and the newly married Rupen Katial was killed who was just coming back from honey moon. The perpitrators are still living in pakistan. Azhar established Jais-e-Muhammed in front the eyes of Pakistan Government to shed more Indian blood. And I dont want to recall the incident of Mumbai and many other perpitrations by LeT and JeM. It is not possible for common people like us to really know whether Pak government has any direct hand in it or not. So is true for the common people in Pakistan. But tell me one thing.... are you really satisfied with what Pakistan government has done to curb the fundamentalists and terrorist groups till America put gun on Mussaraf's head. You tell me how people react there when Mussaraf sent army to Lal Masjid. And Mussaraf....whatever he has done as a President of Pakistan I would not comment on that but to us he is a villain. He initiated intrusion in Kargil that spoilt the peace process started by Bajpayee and Sharif. ( Later Shariff was puled down from his position)...........Now it is upon you, the common people of Pakistan to maintain a Government that represent your opinions to carry forword any peace process...not the Pakistan army which has just practised proxy war for several decades.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The members of the MQM on the NA walked out of the national assembly to show their dismay at the peace dealings with the Taliban.

You can do any thing to claim credit and saving face any time any where.
MQM !!!!! Thank god MQM is getting some recognition being a true well wisher of Pakistan, i just want to laugh loudly.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Sharia for Malakand as Zardari signs law

Also, the lawyers movement was used to create pressure on this government and the last one in order to restore the Chief Justice.

One is not enough, wasn't that too late for democratically elected govt to restore Chief justice. Why only when 'lawyer's mafia of Pakistan has to rioting on the streets.

Along with that, many Pakistanis also protested against the Taliban's various human rights violations, preceding the army operation in Swat.

Too late to protest, the damage was done for country ranked 11th for risk of food security crisis nations. Continue...following quote

DAWN.COM | World | Talibanisation and identity crisis

And tribals are also standing upto the Taliban, by forming Lashkars to expel them from their territory

The last time i heard it was tribals who were flushed/refuged from their territory. I don’t want to waste my 2 mins to paste links from WHO web sites explaining refuge was worst then RAWANDA refuge crisis.

Also recent surveys suggest that the populance has turned against the Taliban

Yes very recent, not past; you are proving me correct brain washed Pakistanis can make opinions to facilitate Islamabad any time.

DAWN.COM | World | Pakistanis oppose Taliban, still revile US

These voices aren't that rare, you just don't seem to pay much attention to them. I'll give you an example - it seems most of the people on this board know Zaid Hamid's name, as you seem to give him a lot of coverage in India. Why is it that you can't igve the same amount of coverage to Burney, who held the rank of a minister who has worked a lot for the release of Indians help in Pakistan? There are many Pakistanis who want peace with India.

your an example qualify to be rare mate.

A lot of Indians blame the Pakistan army for attacks in thier country and I just asked them to prove it. If you can reach such a conclusion linking Pakistan to all these attacks, then you must have some strong peace of evidence. I'm not denying Pakistanis are involved in attacks on India because regrettably a number of us probably are, but I want you to prove that our government and army are still supporting terrorists.

So 'Pakistanis' you admit are involved; were getting commando training in Gaddafi cricket stadium? What a crap, i have already answered you this please don’t ask Indians. Dare to ask your army life will improve itself. Trust me you will have better sleep after that, which i assume is disturbed due to Indian’s comments.
Regards.....................

amitkriit

Kashmir is all about rivers and water, it has got no other geo-political advantage to fight for. India is doing to Rivers flowing into Pakistan, what China is trying to do with Brahmputra.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Kashmir is all about rivers and water, it has got no other geo-political advantage to fight for. India is doing to Rivers flowing into Pakistan, what China is trying to do with Brahmputra.
Well you are right about Kashmir it is about water but please stop this crap about India trying to stop flow of river and all. It's simple BS constantly peddeled from Pakistani side

F.Faruqi

Ok so it is like this before commenting about anything you need to visit theat country speak with number if people of that country (how many?) This is getting hilarious now.

First of all I am not a Pakistani (and I thank god for that). It is not that every Indian is a terrorist until proven otherwise it belongs to your country. So the onus is on you
I concur - thank god you aren't a Pakistani. You have no idea about Pakistan, it's people or how they think. Call us terrorists all you want, but if your governments will just keep ignoring your own national issues by blaming them on us, you won't make any progress as far as dealing with your law & order situation is concerned.

AkhandBharat

I concur - thank god you aren't a Pakistani. You have no idea about Pakistan, it's people or how they think. Call us terrorists all you want, but if your governments will just keep ignoring your own national issues by blaming them on us, you won't make any progress as far as dealing with your law & order situation is concerned.
26/11 wasn't an internal law and order issue.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Do you expect Indian Gvt to recruit personal body-guards for its total population? When terrorists plan for an operation they make enough home work. So 9/11 could not prevented. Not attack in Mumbai. But atleast we expect from our neighbours that they will not allow any extremist groups to run anti-India camp on their territory.

johnee

What kind of la la land are you living in, sahib? Anyone in this world with a brain size bigger than that of hen's, knows that Pakistan is the epicentre of terrorism. Any terrorist caught in the recent past anywhere in the world has some direct or indirect connection with Pakistan. It is also suspected that many of these terrorists actually have state sponsorship. Pakistan is the hub of nuclear prolifiration. Pakistan is the main theatre of WOT. This is not just India saying but these are the facts put forth by your own allies that donate you millions to keep your nation afloat. And you say that it is our law and order situation?!!!!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I have enough idea about Pakistan, read quite a lot in news papers. And my government is taking care of our lives that is shown in broader level. Our government does not go to international forum begging for money or equipments to say at least.

Parashuram1

But how can you know that the Kashmiris wish to belong to India without having a plebiscit? And a plebiscit does not have to be legally binding.

BTW Swedish plebiscits are not legally binding. But e.g. when the majority of Swedes said no to the Euro, our government and all political parties accepted the decision of the people.
I understand that the Kashmiri issue probably is a lot more complicated than which currency to use. But holding people by force against their will does not seem like a good idea to me. Look at the new states in Europe - Slovenia, Slovakia Tjeckia .....What is the problem? They are all members of EU now. Other new states -Croatia, Serbia etc are hoping to become members.
My wife is a Kashmiri pandit. If you would like to be reminded, in 1989, a massacre was held in Kashmir where many original residents of Kashmir namely the Kashmiri pandit community was massacred and killed and many of them were driven out of their own homelands on the grounds of religion, in their own country and native state.

Today's Kashmir mostly has people who are either brainwashed by Pakistani Islamist fanatics and those who have successfully crossed the border and bred a generation of Pakistani-supportive people in Kashmir whereas more than 3-4.5 million of the native community still is in exile in their own land. In short, most of Kashmir's native community was eradicated through ethnic cleansing.

Infact, Indian Army is being the most humane force on the planet despite the risk of losing their rightful territory. Any other country, whether it is a democracy or a dictatorship would have waged ruthless wars against the contesting country (s) by now and taken Kashmir by force.

There can be no limits to setting up disputes with other countries, friend. tomorrow Russia can contest northern Sweden as a part of itself and can use covert tactics to acquire your land (barring a full war scenario). Would you take it on without militarily opposing them? I think not.

Self defense is the right of every country whether or not their government is a democracy and so it is also the right of Republic of India to defend what is rightfully hers. Pakistan as seen in the last few months, is paying the price of breeding terrorism and needless hate against a peaceful, progressive democratic neighbour on the grounds of religion.

Parashuram1

So you mean Taiwanese have not been mislead and therefore they should be allowed to have a plebiscit?
Kashmir was just like any other state of India until the year of 1989. Since Pakistan had agreed to sign up for SEATO and CENTO with the USA, cold war politics began to come into play and with the American Solidarity, its rogue intentions became more and more pronounced as it wanted to take Kashmir off from Indian map. Despite repeated failures, Pakistan still continues its pursuit is Kashmir through supporting and promoting Islamist terrorism in the region, done via severe brainwashing of otherwise innocent people.

Considering the old 'eye for an eye' rule, India could massively fund terrorism in Pakistan to the extent that the very existence of the state could be at risk but she doesn't do so and approaches a more democratic solution through the United Nations Organization. The simple reason why we wish not to have a plebiscite is because it is our territory right from the beginning and asking for a plebiscite would be like someone contesting whether my house belongs to me or not.

AJSINGH

The decision of the fatigued and old Congress leaders to abandon the struggle resulted in the partition of India. The incidents of massacre crossed their limits and slapped the faces of those who used to say that partition could be possible on their dead bodies. The country was divided well in front of their eyes. The century old and the world's first nation was partitioned because of the hunger for power and as a result of impatience of its leaders.
In the intoxication of the so called independence the country's leaders cauld not visualise the plans of those anti- nationalists who'were already engaged in the conspiracies of partitioning the already divided country. Kashmir became a victim of such anti-national elements.

Nehru's short-sightedness

During the time of the partition of India in 1947 all the states were given the right, under the Indian Independence Act, to accede either to India or to Pakistan. Giving display of his political wisdom and capacity for taking decisions, the then Union Home Minister, Sardar Patel, succeeded in merging about 600 states with the Indian union. As a result of obstinacy and rigidity of Hyderabad and Junagarh, Sardar Patel merged them with India through military campaign.

But the matter of Jammu and Kashmir was kept by Pt. Nehru in his hands. His national outlook and his capacity to take decisions were eclipsed by his affection for Abdullah and his animosity with Maharaja Hari Singh and his ingrained Kashmiriyat. This personal ego kept Kashmir away from the rest of the Indian states.

Maharaja's indecisiveness

In this hour of crisis Maharaja of Kashmir, Hari Singh, was caught in confusion. By acceding to India, Nehru's obduracy would not suit the Maharaja and by joining Pakistan the future of the vast Hindu society in Jammu Kashmir and Ladakh was to remain in the ditch of darkness. He felt the danger of destruction and annihilation of thousands of temples and monasteries, built by his forefathers, reserves of Sanskrit books and scriptures and bloomed culture which are a symbol of Indianness. As a result of his farsightedness and his innate love for united India the Maharaja turned down all the allurements of Mr. M.A. Jinnah. The geographical position of Jammu and Kashmir too was a cause of his problem. The highway that linked Jammu and Kashmir with India passed through Pathankot only. The rest of the routes passed through Pakistan. The main highways of Sialkot sand Rawalpindi were with Pakistan. Therefore, even while being in favour of accession with India, the Maharaja could not take the final decision.

Mountbatten: Behind the Scene

Mountbatten too played his role in maintaining the Maharaja's indecision. According to Dr. Gourinath Rastogi, Mountbatten knew that if Jammu Kashmir was merged with India, then the strategic Gilgit area would come out of the influence of the Anglo-American block and the plan of carrying out a military siege of the Soviet Union could not materialise. Contrary to this, merger of Kashmir with Pakistan would facilitate this scheme. Mountbatten besides being an expert Army officer was also a skilful diplomat. He succeeded, for a long time, in preventing Maharaja Hari Singh from acceding to the Indian union by influencing the then Prime Minister, R.C Kak through his English wife, who further influenced the Maharaja.

Jinnah's diplomacy

Those very days Sheikh Abdullah too remained busy in playing his political tricks. He established links with Pakistan and prevailed upon Jinnah to merge Kashmir with Pakistan in the name of Islam. On the advice of the Prime Minister, R.C Kak, Maharaja Hari Singh put forth a resolution favouring a Standstill Agreemellt while keeping in view all the above mentioned compulsions. Pakistan gave its approval to the proposal after finding it a golden opportunity for keeping Kashmir away from India. But India did not agree Gopalaswami Aiyer, Minister for State Affairs, reached Srinagar to discuss the issue with the Maharaja. The Maharaja was unmoved. On the other side, Pakistan was keen to grab Kashmir.

Jinnah formulated a comprehensive scheme for wooing and pressurising Maharaja Hari Singh to accede to Pakistan. He used all moral, illegal and militaly pressures for forcing the Maharaja to accede to Pakistan. He sought permission from the Maharaja for staying in Kashmir for a few days. He wanted to prepare the Muslims in Kashmir for revolting against the Maharaja. Sh. Mehar Chand Mahajan has written that as per the plans of Jinnah he wanted Kashmir. Like the Mughal emperors, he wanted to see Kashmir as part of Pakistan so that as Governor General af Pakistan he could enjoy the salubrious climate of the valley. He would treat Kashmir in his pocket whether accession took place as per the wishes of the people or by force.

Seditious ways of R.C. Kak

The then Prime Minister, R.C. Kak, assured Jinnah of his support for his goal. Kak tried his best to influence the Maharaja but as an Indian nationalist the Maharaja had understood the link-up between Jinnah and Kak and he cleverly and politely prevented Jinnah from coming to Srinagar. R.C. Kak did not like all this.

Now Pakistan used another missile. It imposed economic blockade and closed all the routes to Kashmir The postal and telecommunications services were disrupted. The supply of essential commodities was stopped. Pakistan violated the Standstill Agreement which R.C. Kak had got approved by it. The moment the veil was lifted from the pro-Pakistan feelings of R.C Kak, the Maharaja immediately sacked him and appointed Gen. Janak Singh as the interim Prime Minister.

Pak invasion: Mehar Chand Mahajan as new Prime Minister

When the economic blockade failed, Pakistan took recourse to the third option. Armed Pakistani tribals infiltrated into Kashmir. It was an open invasion of Pakistan on India. In this highly serlous situation the Maharaja, through the help of Sardar Patel, appointed Chief Justice of Punjab High Court, Mr. Mehar Chand Mahajan, as the Prime Minister. But Sheikh Abdullah did not want to see is farsighted and influential person installed as Prime Mlnister. In this connection he established his contact with his dear friend, Pt. Nehru. But Sardar Patel smashed all his plans.

With the installation of Mehar Chand Mahajan as Prime Minister, Pakistan extended its invasion to the borders of the entire state. Besides the invasion, Pakistan kept on pressurising the Maharaja for acceding to Pakistan. According to Mehar Chand Mahajan, the son-in-law of a former Chief justice of Lahore High Court, Major Shah, who was one among important secretaries of Pakistan, was in Srinagar at that time. He was roaming in Srinagar with a whip and sword in one hand and accession papers in his other hand. He was pressurising Gen. Janak Singh and the deputy Prime Minister that they should prevail upon the Maharaja to accede to Pakistan. But by then he had not succeeded.

Plan to abduct the Maharaja

Pakistan continued to indulge in pressure tactics and the Maharaja too remained steadfast with confidence. Pakistan formulated a plan for kidnapping the Maharaja. Mehar Chand Mahajan has given an account of this scheme in his book "The bitter truth of Kashmir".

According to him, there was a plan to abduct the Maharaja and "myself" and force "us" to accede to Pakistan at gunpoint. "The news of our activities were being immediately sent to Pakistani authorities. This way our programme of touring the border had been made available to Pakistan. The police Chief of Jammu was an agent of Pakistan". His plan was that "when we are having our meals in the Bhimber Dak Bunglow we will be arrested." Bhimber is close to the Pakistani border and falls on the famous Mughal route in Kashmir. The road runs close to the border and its one side touches Pakistan. "We had decided to go to Kathua on 20th and on 21st to Bhimber and Mirpur. Pakistanis had planned to attack us with armoured cars on October 21. Their objective was to destroy the Bunglow after arresting us, occupy the city, annihilate the Hindu population and loot their property".

They were, however, saved by unexpected incident, when on October 20 they reached near Kathua and stopped at a crossing. Here one road led to Kathua and the other to Bhimber and Akhnoor. The Maharaja ordered the jeep driver to drive to Bhimber instead of Kathua. Mehar Chand Mahajan objected to it on the plea that officers would be waiting for the Maharaja at Kathua and on the wayside and when they had not sent any programme to Bhimber, there would be no proper arrangements there. The Maharaja brushed aside my objections and said that he was not bound by any programme and he would hardly follow any". They went to Akhnoor and Bhimber and since it was late they could not reach Mirpur. The Pakistani invaders were active all along the border and it would look like a cremation ground in distant places. The Hindus were marching for safety and the Maharaja and his Prime Minister made some arrangement for their security. They had their lunch in the Bhimber Dak Bunglow and after issuing instructions for security arrangements for the city, they reached Jammu at 10 in the night. On the return journey to Jammu, houses on either side of the roads, were aflame. The Army was busy in restoring order and in providing assistance to the people. The Army Chief was present at the site and whatever was possible was being done to stop arson and massacre. And as per the earlier plan armed attack was launched from Gujarat and Bhimber Dak Bunglow was destroyed on October 21. Had they followed the initial programme fixed by the Msharaja they would have been burnt to death. But Maharaja's intuition had saved them from being killed by the Pakistanis.

AJSINGH

^^^ continued from above
Brigadier Rajinder Singh's rebuff to the invaders

The Maharaja's troops faced the powerful Pakistani invasion with courage. The Maharaja directed his Army Chief, Brigadier Rajinder Singh, to protect the state till his last breath. Brig. Rajinder Sirgh had, after receiving his degree from the P.W. College, Jammu, joined the State Army as Lieutenant. His rise was quick and with his qualities of discipline he became the Chief of the Army Staff on August 14, 1947.

On the unfortunate day of October 22 he was on official duty in the cantonment in Srinagar. He received a message that Muzaffarabad was under a major attack and the invaders were marching towards Srinagar. For the time being even the reserve troops were not nearby. He succeeded in organising a small group of 150 soldiers and civilians. But it was necessary to save the city and the only way far doing this was to stop the invaders on the Baramulla road. Brigadier Rajinder Singh decided to launch an attack from Dhumel, 112 kms from Srinagar.

But Dhumel was lost and the enemy troops marched ahead. The enemy took position at Garhi, 16 kms inside the state. The enemy troops stopped the infant company of soldiers of Rajinder Singh. Despite reverses, Rajinder Singh stood his ground for sometime but when the invaders attempted to lay a siege on the soldiers of Rajinder Singh, they came out of the siege and decided to return to Baramulla.

Struggle till the last moment

This retreat encouraged the enemy troops who reached Uri. Regrouping his troops the Brigadier rushed to Uri. In Uri Rajinder Singh faced the full thrust of the enemy and he performed the main task of stopping the invaders as long as he could so that their march to Srinagar was delayed. The Brigadier destroyed that bridge which cut the base of the enemies from the next place. The invaders launched a three pronged attack which caused great loss to the Brigadier. First he retreated his soldiers from Moharra and then from Rampat (Jehlum Valley road). Here the Brigadier fought a bitter battle with the enemy for 11 hours. But the Brigadier had to pay a heavy loss. In the end he ordered the remaining troops to retreat. When the troops, while fighting, were searching for defensive position, Rajinder Singh was single-handed firing continuously to provide fire cover to the rear company. There at that time two bullets hit him, one injuring his right arm and the other his right leg but this did not silence his gun. Quickly the enemy surrounded him and he was killed.

In the "History of Kashmir" Bamzai has written that the Brigadier and his soldier colleagues, cooks, mess bearers and orderlies, under the orders of the Brigadier, had taken up arms and performed great feat in the military history of the world. These sons of their motherland of India stopped the Pakistani troops for three days and prevented them from marching ahead.

Nehru's obstacle in accession

The RSS activists on the basis of their intelligence had already informed the Maharaja about the Pak plan of invasion and about the mutiny of Muslim soldiers. Expectedly Muslim soldiers, in the Maharaja's Army, killed their commander, Col. Narain Singh, and joined the Pakistani troops. In order to save people from the crisis, which had gripped Jammu and Kashmir, and in the interest of the integrity of India, the Maharaja accepted to give up his ego. He immediately sent his Prime Minister, Justice Mehar Chand Mahajan, to Delhi with the accession proposal, which had been signed by him. He had also requested the Government of India for sending troops. This pertains to October 24, 1947.

In the letter of October 26, 1947 the Maharaja had written in clear terms to Lord Mountbatten that the current situation and crisis in "my state has left me with the only option of seeking help from India". He had informed Mountbatten that so long he did not accede to India, it was natural that India could not give him the assistance he had sought for. Therefore, he has decided to do it and he had submitted the relevant accession papers for the approval of his Government.

It is a matter of misfortune for the country and Kashmir that still Pt. Nehru's obstinacy and personal ego created hurdles. Nehru had plainly told the Maharaja "First handover power in Jammu and Kashmir to Sheikh Abdullah, quit Jammu and Kashmir and go out of the state, then accession can be accepted and then the Indian troops will reach Srinagar". The "I will not agree" note wasted two days and there in Kashmir the Pakistani troops while carrying out destruction, rape, arson and other crimes had reached Srinagar. Nehru's obduracy proved heavy on the sincere suggestions of Sardar Patel, Gopalaswami Aiyangar, Acharya Kriplani, and Mahatma Gandhi. In the end, the Maharaja agreed to handover power to Sheikh Abdullah in the interest of the nation. On October 27, 1947 the Indian troops landed on the Srinagar airport which had been made worthy of landing by thousands of RSS workers' round the clock hard work. The Indian Army exhibited such a chivalry that the Pakistani soldiers took to their heels. Sheikh Abdullah, who had fled with his family members to a friend's house in Indore, was taken back to Srinagar under the security of the Indian Army in a plane of the Indian Airforce. Like a bridegroom he reached Srinagar. The Maharaja staked all he had and reached Jammu.

Nehru's policy: punishment for nationalist and reward for anti-national

This way Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, treated his personal friendship with a separatist, communalist and anti-national like Sheikh Abdullah above the security and integrity of the nation. Nehru tried to insult the nationalist Maharaja by projecting the Maharaja as too insignificant in comparison to the Sheikh. When Mehar Chand Mahajan reached Delhi with the accession letter, Nehru thought that if he would accept the proposal directly the credit would go to the Maharaja. Nehru wanted that this credit too should go to the Sheikh. It is said that at that time the Sheikh was in another room of Nehru. It is not known as to how the Sheikh, who had fled at the time of the invasion on Kashmir, had come to Nehru's place. When the Sheikh, who earlier plotted with Pakistan and was a schemer, said "yes" to the accession, Nehru accepted it. Nehru had patronised a traitor.

"It is said that the leader of the National Conference did not like the Maharaja. I wish to ask whether the people of Hyderabad liked the Nizam of Hyderabad ? It is said that whatever Maharaja Hari Singh did after the partition and prior to the accession was shocking. I would like to ask that whatever the Nizam did through Layaq Ali and Qasim Rizvi, was that against the flames of communalism and in favour of friendship with India ? I want the Government of India to read its own white paper on the Nizam and say whether Hari Singh or Nizam of Hyderabad was bad ? Despite this, the Nizam was drawing Rs. one crore as yearly salary as head of the state. Maharaja Hari Singh is spending his last days in Bombay. I want to ask why this discrimination ? Was it a fault of Maharaja Hari Singh that he announced Kashmir's accession to India ? In the absence of his accession-related announcement, we have till today no basis for treating Kashmir as part of India. The Maharaja of Kashmir could too have been made a constitutional ruler like other Indian princes. His presence would have been a guarantee for Kashmir's unity. We have finished this guarantee and he has been left in the middle of feuds and disorder." (Urdu Daily Milap, April 1952)

The policy of appeasement of the Muslims by Pt. Nehru and his friends in the Congress left Kashmir in the hands of those who had already partitioned the country. Had the Congress leaders any love for national interest, they would have entrusted power to Maharaja Hari Singh. But this nationalist ruler, who brought about Jammu and Kashmir's accession to India, had to spent his last days in Bombay as an ousted person. He had to remain away from the soil of his land. But against this, the Muslim Nizam of Hyderabad, who, under the instructions of Pakistan, launched an attack on the Indian troops, was installed as head of the princely state and was given Rs. one crore as yearly salary.

The insult and defeat of the Maharaja was an insult and defeat of the united nationalist forces of India. Sheikh Abdullah's political victory and welcome was a victory for those antinational elements who had set foot on the soil of India in the 7th Century for converting India into Darul Islam. It can be treated as a misfortune for the entire India and Kashmir that here the nationalist forces have been defeated by their own people.

AJSINGH

^^^continued
The cat out of its bag

Accordingto Sh. Balraj Madhok, the mistake of entrusting the reins of the Government not only of Kashmir but of the entire state to Sheikh Abdullah was bigger than the mistake of keeping Jammu and Kashmir out of the jurisdiction of Sardar Patel. This became evident from the first speech of the Sheikh in Srinagar on the evening of October 27. Mr. Madhok had himself listened to the speech. During his one-hour long speech the Sheikh did not, even once, talked about the Government of India and the Indian Army on whose shoulders he had returned to Srinagar and received the reins of the Government. He kept on inciting people with religious sentiments and went on repeating the Kalima. Raising his voice he had said "we have picked up the crown of Kashmir from the dust and whether we accede to India or to Pakistan is a secondary question, first of all we have to complete our freedom". Just one sentence clarified his intentions. His desire was to make Kashmir an independent sultanate and not accede to India.

The Sheikh picked up the crown from the dust and got engaged in ruining Kashmir. Which was this crown ? Which was that dust ? And what dces this total independence mean ? These questions have remained unanswered till today. This "dust" was of Hindu Dogra rulers of Kashmir from whose head he had removed the crown and put it on his head. And the "crown" was those Muslim sultans whose 500-year long activities of atrocities and inhuman cruelties had converted Kashmir to Muslim Kashmir. The meaning of total independence lay in the Sheikh's becoming a Sultan.

Fetters of Security Council in the feet of victorious soldiers

On assuming power, the Sheikh's treacherous and antinational feelings removed all their curtains and presented themselves shamelessly. But there was no change in the intentions of Nehru. The Muslim vote bank had opened its mouth in the entire country. Pt. Nehru adopted an ostrich type attitude. Sheikh Abdullah left no stone unturned in discouraging the Indian Army by issuing his orders. After ensuring the seucrity of Srinagar, when the Army marched to attack other areas of Kashmir, Mirpur, Kotli-Bhimber etc., to protect these places, the Sheikh stopped them. Several thousand Hindus in these areas had been mercilessly killed. When the Chief Commander of the Indian Army, Gen. Pranjaype, informed Nehru about such activities of the Sheikh, Pt. Nehru told him plainly "Do whatever Sheikh Sahib tells you?" The result of this "do the same" policy was that whatever portion of Jammu and Kashmir was with Pakistan had to remain with Pakistan. On the basis of the occupation of this part of the state, Pakistan is ridiculing the policies of the Indian rulers.

Nehru, who was fond of wearing a rose and who remained drunk in his Kashmiriyat and pro-Muslim bias, kept on striking his feet with his axe and the strikes of this merciless and directionsless axe had kept on causing cracks in Kashmir, the crown of mother India. When the Indian troops were marching for liberating Pakistan occupied Kashmir, and the liberation was a metter of a few hours, that very moment Nehru, on the direction of the Sheikh, announced unilateral ceasefire on January 1, 1948. Feeling hurt over the attitude of Nehru, Justice Kunwar Dilip Singh, India's Agent General in Kashmir, resigned. Nehru did not stop there. He, without consulting Army commanders, took the Kashmir matter, at the behest of the Sheikh, to the United Nations' Security Council which announced that the fate of Kashmir can be decided through a plebiscite. Nehru invited trouble without asking. And today Pakistan, by swearing in the name of the Security council resolution, is backing the youths in Kashmir. An instance of such a political bankruptcy is not found anywhere in the world. It is a height of narrow vision.

The Sheikh wanted to settle many scores by exploiting this problem. Had the Indian Army been allowed four-five days' time, Pakistan would have been mauled and the entire Kashmir would have been with India thereby establishing the supremacy ofthe Indian troops. The Sheikh did not want it. The narrow vision of Nehru fulfilled this wish of the Sheikh. The Kashmir problem has, thus, remained on the files of the United Nations and has become a termite in the international politics. By taking the matter, through Nehru, to the Security Council the Sheikh smoothened his ways.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles