ISRO General News and Updates

omaebakabaka

Can you help me to comprehend what you want to say please?
Sorry english is not my mother tongue and my schooling is local language....what I meant to say is, once they send manned missions to near space and put some docking modules and man them even for few days then we can estimate if 2040 is realistic or not or even 2060.....it also depends on other countries like China going to moon in manned mission and that will cause some lines to shift on our side.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Sorry english is not my mother tongue and my schooling is local language....what I meant to say is, once they send manned missions to near space and put some docking modules and man them even for few days then we can estimate if 2040 is realistic or not or even 2060.....it also depends on other countries like China going to moon in manned mission and that will cause some lines to shift on our side.
There is no issue with your English but with the message you wanted to give as my post you quoted and both lines of your message too, all wete unrelated to the debate. As far as moon landing or any other space feat is concerned, all 6 space great powers (US, Russia, China, France, India and Japan) possess all building blocs to conduct any kind of mission in next 20 years if planned today.

Question remains on priority and willing funding. Human spaceflight is not a new technology but application and demonstration of existing technologies which India has built over decaded to gain experience for further research.
Doing a D1, means crew module is ready.
No, only doing G2 means that.
By the way, you asked if crew module is indigenous and I replied to that.

Swesh

That's the point of mission at first place.
Hundreds of tests planned, working to get crew module from outside India: ISRO’s Somanath on Gaganyaan

crucial step in India’s ambitious programme to lift its astronauts into space, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will test its crew escape system (CES) on October 21, 2023. The flight, which is set to commence at Sriharikota at 8 am, will test if the CES can protect the astronauts should the launch vehicle malfunction. ISRO has designated this mission TV-D1. It will be uncrewed.

Mission Gaganyaan:
The TV-D1 test flight is scheduled for
🗓October 21, 2023
🕛between 7 am and 9 am
🚩from SDSC-SHAR, Sriharikota #Gaganyaanpic.twitter.com/7NbMC4YdYD
— ISRO (@isro) October 16, 2023
On October 17, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said India should aim for “new and ambitious goals”, according to a statement from his office. He directed the setting up of a ‘Bharatiya Antariksha Station’, or Indian space station, by 2035 and sending an Indian to the moon by 2040. Per the statement, the Department of Space is preparing a roadmap to achieve this, including a series of Chandrayaan missions and developing a ‘Next Generation Launch Vehicle’. The “Prime Minister also called upon Indian scientists to work towards interplanetary missions that would include a Venus Orbiter Mission and a Mars Lander,” the statement added.

ALSO READ

In the ultimate mission that will hoist the astronauts into a low-earth orbit in 2025, the rocket will be the Launch Vehicle Mark-3 (LVM-3). But that on October 21 will be a single-stage rocket powered by liquid propellants. It was purpose-built for the TV-D1 mission and wheeled to the launch pad on October 15. ISRO Chairman S. Somanath spoke to T.S. Subramanian for The Hindu about this test, the crew module, and preparations for the human spaceflight programme, a.k.a. ‘Gaganyaan‘. Excerpts from the interview follow:

You will be soon testing the crew escape system of the Gaganyaan project, which will ultimately take the Indian astronauts into space. Have you made the LVM-3 rocket more powerful to carry the big crew module?

Gaganyaan has many, many elements [and] components. The rocket is one part of it. The rocket LVM-3, which will take the crew to orbit, is being strengthened. The process of strengthening it is already completed. That is called the ‘human rating’ of the vehicle. It is already over. All systems and engines have been tested and confirmed. So our rocket – human-rated – is virtually completed.

There is another element called the crew module and the crew escape system. The new crew module is under development. It is being tested. There is no capability in India to manufacture it. We have to get it from outside. That work is currently going on.

We wanted a lot of technology to come from outside, from Russia, Europe, and America. But many did not come. We only got some items. That is going to take time. So we have to develop systems such as environmental control and life support systems. We call it ‘ECLSS’. That has to be developed internally. We have developed its engineering model. This is basically for controlling the temperature, oxygen, wastage process, vibration, fire hazards, and so many [other] things.

September 27, 2023. | Photo Credit: ANI
In a crucial step in India’s ambitious programme to lift its astronauts into space, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will test its crew escape system (CES) on October 21, 2023. The flight, which is set to commence at Sriharikota at 8 am, will test if the CES can protect the astronauts should the launch vehicle malfunction. ISRO has designated this mission TV-D1. It will be uncrewed.
Mission Gaganyaan:
The TV-D1 test flight is scheduled for
🗓October 21, 2023
🕛between 7 am and 9 am
🚩from SDSC-SHAR, Sriharikota #Gaganyaanpic.twitter.com/7NbMC4YdYD
— ISRO (@isro) October 16, 2023
On October 17, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said India should aim for “new and ambitious goals”, according to a statement from his office. He directed the setting up of a ‘Bharatiya Antariksha Station’, or Indian space station, by 2035 and sending an Indian to the moon by 2040. Per the statement, the Department of Space is preparing a roadmap to achieve this, including a series of Chandrayaan missions and developing a ‘Next Generation Launch Vehicle’. The “Prime Minister also called upon Indian scientists to work towards interplanetary missions that would include a Venus Orbiter Mission and a Mars Lander,” the statement added.
ALSO READ

In the ultimate mission that will hoist the astronauts into a low-earth orbit in 2025, the rocket will be the Launch Vehicle Mark-3 (LVM-3). But that on October 21 will be a single-stage rocket powered by liquid propellants. It was purpose-built for the TV-D1 mission and wheeled to the launch pad on October 15. ISRO Chairman S. Somanath spoke to T.S. Subramanian for The Hindu about this test, the crew module, and preparations for the human spaceflight programme, a.k.a. ‘Gaganyaan‘. Excerpts from the interview follow:
You will be soon testing the crew escape system of the Gaganyaan project, which will ultimately take the Indian astronauts into space. Have you made the LVM-3 rocket more powerful to carry the big crew module?
Gaganyaan has many, many elements [and] components. The rocket is one part of it. The rocket LVM-3, which will take the crew to orbit, is being strengthened. The process of strengthening it is already completed. That is called the ‘human rating’ of the vehicle. It is already over. All systems and engines have been tested and confirmed. So our rocket – human-rated – is virtually completed.
There is another element called the crew module and the crew escape system. The new crew module is under development. It is being tested. There is no capability in India to manufacture it. We have to get it from outside. That work is currently going on.
We wanted a lot of technology to come from outside, from Russia, Europe, and America. But many did not come. We only got some items. That is going to take time. So we have to develop systems such as environmental control and life support systems. We call it ‘ECLSS’. That has to be developed internally. We have developed its engineering model. This is basically for controlling the temperature, oxygen, wastage process, vibration, fire hazards, and so many [other] things.
A view of the crew module.

A view of the crew module. | Photo Credit: ISRO
Elements of the crew module.

Elements of the crew module. | Photo Credit: ISRO
We have to make a crew escape system. That is, in the case of any damage to the rocket, the crew will [have to] be taken away from the rocket and saved.
Finally, there is a system called Integrated Vehicle Health Management System, or IVHMS, which has intelligence. It will sense an imminent failure and take abort action. It will autonomously decide. This system is under development. These are new things. We have to test all of them over a period of time.
https://www.thehindu.com/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/interview/isro-somanath-interview-chandrayaan-3-aditya-l1/article67368973.ece
Hundreds of tests are planned: helicopter-brd tests, test-vehicle-brd tests, rocket-brd tests, abort tests, unmanned [tests], robotic missions, and so on. All these will be done. For the next one year to a year and a half, this will be our programme. Every day, there is some test happening. Every subsystem and component goes through hundreds of tests. When a major test happens, the press will know about it.
The test vehicle test will happen in October [i.e. October 21]. It will be an abort test. The launch vehicle will take the unmanned crew module up to a height of 17 km. Then we will say the mission is ‘aborted’. It will [have to] be saved using the crew escape system. It will bring back the module to the sea and we will collect it.
In the real mission, will three Indian astronauts go in the crew module to low-earth orbit?
Finally how many people will go, we will decide later. Not now. We don’t have to send three… We can also send one in the first mission. There is no hurry to send three. We can send one by one. Ultimately, we can send even 10 astronauts. Why limit to three? That is not a measure of anything. If you are able to send a human being into space, that is it.
It depends on our confidence at that point of time… Only when we are very sure of ourselves, we will send human beings into space. Otherwise, we will not do that. In my opinion, it will take more time than we really thought of. We are not worried about it. What we are worried about is that we should do it right the first time.
The schedule is secondary here. Even if I send a person tomorrow, I am not going to achieve anything other than claim that I have sent this person. The capability development is most important. Technology development is most important. Some claims I made last year are not important. I am focusing on capability development.

Swesh

omaebakabaka

Question remains on priority and willing funding. Human spaceflight is not a new technology but application and demonstration of existing technologies which India has built over decaded to gain experience for further research.
Agree with this, but until you do this you haven't done it....there are only 3 countries that actually did it to this day independently and India must do this before they go moon manned talking. Reason I quoted you was that quantification of 2040 for moon landing would be more measurable depending on when they do manned mission to space. Ofcourse talk is also fine to bring public awareness, so nothing wrong. Sometimes I quote accidentally to wrong post.

Varoon2

Country flag
^^^
The language in the interview is a bit confusing. The crew module is being developed in India, but the capability doesn't exist, so it has to be procured from outside. But the parts or components are not forthcoming from those countries ( Russia, France, the U.S) or are very expensive etc.

So is the entire crew module being imported? That's hard to believe. Or is it a majority of components, or a large number of components. I thought the windows, seats and some other items are imports, but that most of the CM is Indian made. Clarity needed here!

Varoon2

Country flag
In this article from less than 2 weeks ago, a crew module is already developed and undergoing testing. From a non technical layman's understanding, is this a scaled down, non pressurised version, that is meant just to test the safety/ escape ability, with parachutes? But that the actual crew module used with humans, is larger. And that crew module will have to be imported?

AnantS

Country flag
This is inde3d confusing, if they are trying to get crew module from outside then is this test just for crew abort system? The crew module they d3veloped -is that just a place holder?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles