ISRO General News and Updates

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
you take a pause and debate with substance
That has been the issue actually. What you post doesn't have any substance nor you are willing to add.
You see I am simply NOT interested in how much ISRO has progressed and what constraints it faced.
It's nothing more than YouTube comments' level whinning like AAPiyas. I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time on this. Industrial production and low base are far real and understandable than emotional throw up of "talent" which wasn't ever quoted in ISRO itself (as if street genius himself is talented enough to make a coke bottled baking soda rocket).

FalconZero

Country flag
Hah…here is a more concrete reason as to why ISRO is struggling. ISRO is only getting 50% of requested budget. And hence, it is unable to hire enough talent and drive enough programs.

Conclusion: ISRO’s budget must be doubled, at least for ISRO to be able to scale effectively and deliver. Delays due to Wuhan Virus are on top of the several projects not even pursued due to lack of funds. Sad.
I hope you read the article, cuz what you are saying is not totally correct though i agree with the sentiments.

Few points from the article :

> What is interesting is that against the total amount of INR 59.84 billion sanctioned under the head “Space Technologies” in 2017-18, DoS could manage to spend only INR 43.36 billion,...

Between 17-18, DoS was not even able to spend merely 60 billion budget which was sanctioned to them. It reminds me of defence under UPA when budget used to be around 3% but the actual utilisation of the budget was pretty pathetic when compared to NDA gormint.

> The allocation for ISRO was hiked by 17% in 2018-19 from last financial year’s INR 91.55 billion to cross INR 100 billion for the first time.

Budget allocation for 2018-19 was close to 100 billion inr (10,000 crores inr ) that time. In 2021-22 they saw further hike and now the total budget is around 14,000 crores. (Source : https://yourstory.com/2021/02/dept-of-space-allocated-rs-13949-cr-in-budget/)
The total allocation of Rs 13,949.09 crore to DoS in the Budget for fiscal 2021-22 is nearly Rs 900 crore higher than in 2019-20 and Rs 4,449 crore more than in 2020-21.

Last year, Rs 13,479.47 crore was earmarked for DoS, but this was later revised to Rs 9,500 crore. In 2019-20, the department was allocated Rs 13,017.61 crore.
Despite this much serious allocation of budget, overall 1 launch has been conducted so far by ISRO in this year.

Even though i agree that yes, budget for isro should be at least 4 to 5 billion usd ( yes I am fanboying here and dreaming but let me have it) but DoS excuse of 'less budget' for the lacklustre performance by ISRO in last two years seems like pushing things under the rag and a pathetic try at saving their faces.

Anyone who is following space sector can attest, that ISRO is shiet tier in communication. There's serious lack of transparency and hence accountability and unless you change all of this, they will keep giving excuses and projects being delayed.

Money does help but it can't fix the systematic issues which are pretty prevalent and in honestly under NDA isro's performance has been abysmal.

We are only seeing 'plans', 'timelines', 'ppts' and jizzing over them for so long. There were local newspapers reporting that covid had gone out of control in Satish dhawan, i don't know the degree of truth but covid is one of the major reasons cuz even with all the issues, ISRO was never this down.

They have came up with new timeline, let's see what happens. Also, who the
1625932484295.png

What even more disappointing is that DoS comes directly under PMO, normally all the projects under PMO perform way better. Let's see what happens, it has been disappointing last two years. ( 1 and half but whatever)

Varoon2

Country flag
Yes, but there were technical issues and then of course Covid hit India hard. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this time, they will stick to the launch date( give or take a few days!)

Mantospace

Country flag
I hope you read the article, cuz what you are saying is not totally correct though i agree with the sentiments.

> What is interesting is that against the total amount of INR 59.84 billion sanctioned under the head “Space Technologies” in 2017-18, DoS could manage to spend only INR 43.36 billion,...

Between 17-18, DoS was not even able to spend merely 60 billion budget which was sanctioned to them. It reminds me of defence under UPA when budget used to be around 3% but the actual utilisation of the budget was pretty pathetic when compared to NDA gormint.

> The allocation for ISRO was hiked by 17% in 2018-19 from last financial year’s INR 91.55 billion to cross INR 100 billion for the first time.

Budget allocation for 2018-19 was close to 100 billion inr (10,000 crores inr ) that time. In 2021-22 they saw further hike and now the total budget is around 14,000 crores. (Source : https://yourstory.com/2021/02/dept-of-space-allocated-rs-13949-cr-in-budget/)

Despite this much serious allocation of budget, overall 1 launch has been conducted so far by ISRO in this year.

Even though i agree that yes, budget for isro should be at least 4 to 5 billion usd ( yes I am fanboying here and dreaming but let me have it) but DoS excuse of 'less budget' for the lacklustre performance by ISRO in last two years seems like pushing things under the rag and a pathetic try at saving their faces.

Anyone who is following space sector can attest, that ISRO is shiet tier in communication. There's serious lack of transparency and hence accountability and unless you change all of this, they will keep giving excuses and projects being delayed.

Money does help but it can't fix the systematic issues which are pretty prevalent and in honestly under NDA isro's performance has been abysmal.

We are only seeing 'plans', 'timelines', 'ppts' and jizzing over them for so long. There were local newspapers reporting that covid had gone out of control in Satish dhawan, i don't know the degree of truth but covid is one of the major reasons cuz even with all the issues, ISRO was never this down.

View attachment 99242
What even more disappointing is that DoS comes directly under PMO, normally all the projects under PMO perform way better. Let's see what happens, it has been disappointing last two years. ( 1 and half but whatever)
Is this budget different from gaganyaan budget ?

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

View attachment 99242
good points. I did not catch those. Yes, underspending is a great indication that they are unable to scale R&D.
On Wuhan virus, did that hit only ISRO? How is it that other space agencies stuck to their plans (for most part; NASA did have some delays like the NISAR project with ISRO) for most part? The thing about ISRO is they say nothing, dont take citizens along with them, and because they are under the PMO do whatever they want…I still don’t get why a civilian space agency should be so secretive. It should be promoting science and be open.
Weird that they only could do only 1 launch (COVID or not) with a $2 billion budget. Let’s see if they rapidly scale up all the delayed launches, and get on track on new launches. But they are already delay8ng Gaganyaan? Bad sign. I don’t trust ISRO’s launch calendar. They hardly stick to the dates. Most programs are delayed by years. The lack of transparency in isro is extremely frustrating.

FalconZero

Country flag
good points. I did not catch those. Yes, underspending is a great indication that they are unable to scale R&D.
On Wuhan virus, did that hit only ISRO? How is it that other space agencies stuck to their plans (for most part; NASA did have some delays like the NISAR project with ISRO) for most part? The thing about ISRO is they say nothing, dont take citizens along with them, and because they are under the PMO do whatever they want…I still don’t get why a civilian space agency should be so secretive. It should be promoting science and be open.
Weird that they only could do only 1 launch (COVID or not) with a $2 billion budget. Let’s see if they rapidly scale up all the delayed launches, and get on track on new launches. But they are already delay8ng Gaganyaan? Bad sign. I don’t trust ISRO’s launch calendar. They hardly stick to the dates. Most programs are delayed by years. The lack of transparency in isro is extremely frustrating.
You are right, don't even bother about SpaceX or NASA ( albiet nasa is known for its government pace and delays)...even our very own private industries progressed much better. Look up the timeline of Skyroot, Agnikul and Ballatrix despite being so new to the race all of them progressed.

I can bet that Skyroot will launch Vikram 1 by next year (They already successfully tested the third stage i think 1 to 2 month ago almost), maybe even before ISRO launches SSLV. Not only that, these companies are out there having proper outreach, connecting to people. Look up the videos and interview of Gareeb scientist with i think it was skyroot and ballatrix guys. Best part is that it's ISRO who is helping them from those ion thrusters to supporting in launch and tests sites.

It's like in India things which can't get you vote don't even matter, it's frustrating sometimes but i think there are some good reforms, maybe ISRO and guys there need one breakthrough maybe that can be Gaganyaan or Chandrayan - 3 for moral boosts and that will also result in increase in public interest which can further result in increase in government budget.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

Tapans another post
The rot is deep, like I thought. The resistance to share failure investigation report of Chandrayaan 2 is well explained by this commentary. Basically investigation reports are doctored to cover up. This explains why ISRO is not transparent. There have been a lot of shady, inefficient and even corrupt decisions bordering on criminality.
My faith in ISRO was lost when the very shady and corrupt Antrix debacle happened and a new company New Space India Limited had to be setup as no one was ready to deal with Antrix because of its bad reputation.
yeah, we Indians naively think that scientists are god-like and won’t be subject to human defects like greed, jealousy, criminality etc. The thing is even in the west several top scientists have fudged or done unethical things like claim ownership of others’ work to build their reputation to get ahead. ISRO scientists are no different. There is a cabal working that is preventing ISRO from scaling up R&D to greater heights.
The above commentary is very disturbing. ISRO needs a complete top level reset , and professional business type management must be brought in, else we would have all failed pioneers like Vikram Sarabhai who worked hard to push for ISRO when Indians were dying from famine.

Chinmoy

Country flag
So does GISAT-1 abrupt launch cancellation also had some phoren hand behind in not letting the satellite to be launched and made us wait for year to get through things ?
GISAT-1 is a geostationary orbit satellite.

Now just tell me, which phoren nation would want to delay it?

Don't go by online whining of people who basically gets sidelined. We are basically turning out to be porkies here with all the conspiracy theories.

mokoman

Country flag
GISAT-1 is a geostationary orbit satellite.

Now just tell me, which phoren nation would want to delay it?

Don't go by online whining of people who basically gets sidelined. We are basically turning out to be porkies here with all the conspiracy theories.
:hmm: Doesnt even seem to be oriented towards military / defence applications

resolution of 43m means you wont be able see any detail at needed level ,

These images are likely to help in various sectors and its applications will be utilised in mineralogy, agriculture, forestry as well as disaster warning among others, said ISRO.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles