ISRO General News and Updates

salute

\

Yes human space flight is of no use unless there is plan for developing space station..if done then it will be just a show-piece nothing else..
no use ??? for building space station first they got show that they capable of sending humans to the space and bringing them back safely ,

that 'show piece' actually would be hugh achievement for isro because actually its a first step for doing anything beyond like just a launching of satellites or rovers .

Anupu

Country flag
ok .. i just read about voyager.. it was blasted(nuclear blast) into space.. there is no propulsion system and it used gravity assist to add few more accelerations... down side of this -- 35 freaking years to leave the solar system

but if we plan deep space mission we should use ion propulsion . it will be faster.. and i think the links that you posted reagarding nuclear propulsion is infact talking about powering the rover from electricity generated by nuclear energy not solar.. so they are developing a mini reactor..i cudnt find where they talked about nuclear blast propulsion there
Whatever but I was talking about using nuclear propulsion for deep space penetration.
For example, a very small nuclear blast was planned for Chandrayaan 2 earlier to put in space.

System in rover is completely and may be way more complex.

Meanwhile, Voyagers used that blast mainly. New Jet Propulsion lab of India has also opportunity here to demonstrate it's capability.:)
I think we still needs time to make nuclear rovers but we are well positioned to launch a spacecraft like Voyager in near future.
Nuclear propulsion is space is not a done by using a nuclear reactor... even the smallest marine reactor is too big for a satellite or spacecraft... what they use is called a radioisotope thermoelectric generators RTG.
RTG is basically a unstable radioactive isotope stored in pellet form which decays to produce heat... that heat is used to keep the spacecraft warm and a small part of the heat is turned into electricity using thermoelectric effect in a thermocouple...
RTG Structure:

Radioactive Pellet Example: Plutonium pellet

The reason ISRO has no plans for building RTG is because we don't have an abundant supply of such isotopes to use on spacecrafts... even NASA avoids using them now a days... Proper Nuclear fission reactor will only be useful for a huge spacecraft that can be used to transport massive amount goods and people to say somewhere like MARS (eg the spacecraft hermes in Martian movie had a nuclear reactor) otherwise it's too much of an overkill. Both Voyagers used a Plutonium RTG.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ok .. i just read about voyager.. it was blasted(nuclear blast) into space.. there is no propulsion system and it used gravity assist to add few more accelerations... down side of this -- 35 freaking years to leave the solar system

but if we plan deep space mission we should use ion propulsion . it will be faster.. and i think the links that you posted reagarding nuclear propulsion is infact talking about powering the rover from electricity generated by nuclear energy not solar.. so they are developing a mini reactor..i cudnt find where they talked about nuclear blast propulsion there
Check out my Post #1634 of the thread. In the first link, ISRO chief says that a very small nuclear reaction will take place under the spacecraft to throw it out of the atmosphere.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Telangana To Tie Up With ISRO For Water Resources Info System

ISRO will update the system with new satellite imagery of all water bodies every fortnight.
Hyderabad: State Irrigation Department on Sunday will sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Indian Space Research Organisation for setting up Telangana Water Resources Information System (TWRIS).
The system will keep eye from sky on state's water resources and ISRO will update the system with new satellite imagery of all water bodies every fortnight.
According to an official release, the new system will be set up by ISRO's National Remote Sensing Centre.
"The MoU will be signed on August 7 in the presence of Irrigation minister Harish Rao and ISRO chairman Kiran Kumar," it stated.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
The reason ISRO has no plans for building RTG is because we don't have an abundant supply of such isotopes to use on spacecrafts... even NASA avoids using them now a days... Proper Nuclear fission reactor will only be useful for a huge spacecraft that can be used to transport massive amount goods and people to say somewhere like MARS (eg the spacecraft hermes in Martian movie had a nuclear reactor) otherwise it's too much of an overkill. Both Voyagers used a Plutonium RTG.
Well, that's it.
I got source that BARC is developing these materials for ISRO. Or who knows, if it's a new way of technology.

Anupu

Country flag
Well, that's it.
I got source that BARC is developing these materials for ISRO. Or who knows, if it's a new way of technology.
Quite possible... RTG can be good for deep space mission. Although, I still think it is possible to do without them.. at least to Jupiter as JUNO just did. The supply of Pu 238 is very low in the world, if BARC is working on a alternate isotope then it's fine.. otherwise it will make the probe very expensive... Could you give me the source?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Quite possible... RTG can be good for deep space mission. Although, I still think it is possible to do without them.. at least to Jupiter as JUNO just did. The supply of Pu 238 is very low in the world, if BARC is working on a alternate isotope then it's fine.. otherwise it will make the probe very expensive... Could you give me the source?
Post no. 1634 of the thread.
Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

Akask kumar

no use ??? for building space station first they got show that they capable of sending humans to the space and bringing them back safely ,
exactly !! u read my reply in parts.. i said its of no use unless there is a plan of space station....chinese did it right.. they sent humans and quickly followed by space station missions.. it wasnt just a showcase for them.. they planned it well ..

thats why i said .. if u dont have plan for space station then we are as good as iranians who are sending humans to space by 2021.. BUT THE QUESTION LINGERS FOR WHAT???

i hope u got what i meant..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
exactly !! u read my reply in parts.. i said its of no use unless there is a plan of space station....chinese did it right.. they sent humans and quickly followed by space station missions.. it wasnt just a showcase for them.. they planned it well ..

thats why i said .. if u dont have plan for space station then we are as good as iranians who are sending humans to space by 2021.. BUT THE QUESTION LINGERS FOR WHAT???

It's pointless man.:confused1:
China sent humans in space in 2003 and their space station isn't ready yet. They are having Taikonauts flying in joined modules.
They had CZ-3 and 4 etc. for that, we are having GSLV Mk3. Capable of making "incomplete" space station that China has today. So, "it is not useless at all."

Akask kumar

Nuclear propulsion is space is not a done by using a nuclear reactor... even the smallest marine reactor is too big for a satellite or spacecraft... what they use is called a radioisotope thermoelectric generators RTG.
RTG is basically a unstable radioactive isotope stored in pellet form which decays to produce heat... that heat is used to keep the spacecraft warm and a small part of the heat is turned into electricity using thermoelectric effect in a thermocouple...
RTG Structure:

Radioactive Pellet Example: Plutonium pellet

this ISOTOPE generator/dubbed as nuclear generator that that you mentioned is just for supplying electric power .. in voyager it is used to keep the craft warm and to power its antenna/communication system..There is no way this generator is a propulsion device.. Voyager has no propulsion s/m, its relying just on the thrust that it got from TITAN lauch rocket.

Check out my Post #1634 of the thread. In the first link, ISRO chief says that a very small nuclear reaction will take place under the spacecraft to throw it out of the atmosphere.
the whole article that you pointed from the begining is directed on increasing the life span of chandrayaan 2 by powering the rover by nuclear reactor (the way voyager is powered or curiosity is powered ) .. no where it talked about nuclear propulsion, i think u understood in wrong sense,no offence, please tell me which line is pointing to that??

the propulsion using nuclear blast to propel is just a concept and it hasnt been done even by nasa.. and international space community will never permit such thing as a nuclear blast near earth may wipe out ionosphere..too dangerous.thats why NASA stopped this during cold war ..

for interstellar travel in near future we have 3 options..
1> ion propulsion
2> solar sail..
3>Voyager type.. relying on just the thrust it achieved from rocket while leaving earth.n gravity assist..

The way i see it .. electric energy is used in ion propulsion and we derive this energy using solar panel but the panel has to be large and at interstellar distances the Solar rays are really weak so to remove this problem in future,next gen interstellar missions will use nuclear power to provide the elctricity to the ion propulsion..

nuclear reactor will just serve the same purpose of a long duration battery generating electricity as well as heat..

Last edited:

Akask kumar

It's pointless man.:confused1:
China sent humans in space in 2003 and their space station isn't ready yet. They are having Taikonauts flying in joined modules.
They had CZ-3 and 4 etc. for that, we are having GSLV Mk3. Capable of making "incomplete" space station that China has today. So, "it is not useless at all."
u didnt get it . yea sapce station is not ready . space station is not bulit in a month or year.. first u develop a space capsule .. then increase its size and life support from days to month.. then from month to few more months.. u learn docking etc.. then slowly n gradually u have a sapce station.. chinese have manged to increase the life support, size of capsule, learnt docking.. now they have just to assemble the big tanks in space.. Done..

so space capsule is the first step ..

I said we should do HUman space flight only if we have a vision to build space station..

Last edited:

salute

iran sending humans to the space by 2021 ???
they planning to bring them back safely ???
you could send humans to the space by just tying them to the missiles .

Akask kumar

just google about it.. what i read last time... they have developed a space capsule for that.. tested animals.. going good.. even if they achieved human space flight.. whats the point of doing it..!!

Last edited:

Anupu

Country flag
They are just announcing it.. They are also building a stealth fighter too by the way.. I doubt though they would be able to achieve either of those target... While I like Iranians, but their government is just bullshiting.

this ISOTOPE generator/dubbed as nuclear generator that that you mentioned is just for supplying electric power .. in voyager it is used to keep the craft warm and to power its antenna/communication system..There is no way this generator is a propulsion device.. Voyager has no propulsion s/m, its relying just on the thrust that it got from TITAN lauch rocket.

the whole article that you pointed from the begining is directed on increasing the life span of chandrayaan 2 by powering the rover by nuclear reactor (the way voyager is powered or curiosity is powered ) .. no where it talked about nuclear propulsion, i think u understood in wrong sense,no offence, please tell me which line is pointing to that??

the propulsion using nuclear blast to propel is just a concept and it hasnt been done even by nasa.. and international space community will never permit such thing as a nuclear blast near earth may wipe out ionosphere..too dangerous.thats why NASA stopped this during cold war ..

for interstellar travel in near future we have 3 options..
1> ion propulsion
2> solar sail..
3>Voyager type.. relying on just the thrust it achieved from rocket while leaving earth.n gravity assist..

The way i see it .. electric energy is used in ion propulsion and we derive this energy using solar panel but the panel has to be large and at interstellar distances the Solar rays are really weak so to remove this problem in future,next gen interstellar missions will use nuclear power to provide the elctricity to the ion propulsion..

nuclear reactor will just serve the same purpose of a long duration battery generating electricity as well as heat..
Yeah it's just a power source.. I didn't articulate well but there is no "nuclear propulsion" anyway I guess... unless we count the Project Daedalus style propulsion. But we could imagine using a ion propulsion with a RTG if we have a proper isotope.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
u didnt get it . yea sapce station is not ready . space station is not bulit in a month or year.. first u develop a space capsule .. then increase its size and life support from days to month.. then from month to few more months.. u learn docking etc.. then slowly n gradually u have a sapce station.. chinese have manged to increase the life support, size of capsule, learnt docking.. now they have just to assemble the big tanks in space.. Done..

so space capsule is the first step ..

I said we should do HUman space flight only if we have a vision to build space station..
Understood your concerns. So, nobody is enough stupid to send humans in space before any dedicated plan.

By the way, sorry for taking nuclear in wrong sense. My bad.:(
But my hope for a Voyager like Indian Spacecraft isn't dead yet.:D
GSLV Mk3 is near to Titan in payload capacity and if we can demonstrate nuclear power on a Lunar Probe, we'll be ready for it. Instruments for exploration can be validated on spacecrafts like Astrosat and Aditya L1 etc..

And let me tell you an interesting story.
In 2012, when Iran said it will work in top gear to send humans in space in 2016,
An Iranian member SOHIEL bet that Iran will be ahead of India in 4 years.

More than half of 2016 has passed. Iran is still stuck near where it was in 2012, it's not even near to send humans space even in 2021.
though it's only India who has achieved numerous milestones and came near to human spaceflight capability. That member SOHIEL is inactive on all forums I know.:pound:

salute

just google about it.. what i read last time... they have developed a space capsule for that.. tested animals.. going good.. even they achieved human space flight.. whats the point of doing it..!!
its total fake ,

@Anupu you like iran and afghanis maybe because you hate or at least dont like pakis whatelse ,

and woh dur sehi acche hai .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
just google about it.. what i read last time... they have developed a space capsule for that.. tested animals.. going good.. even if they achieved human space flight.. whats the point of doing it..!!
Fund is a big issue for them.

Moreover, they need bigger capsule for humans for carrying which they need a vehicle like Shavit.
Even then, a flight of short time period is meaningless. You need a big vehicle for demonstrating capabilities.

I bet with SOHIEL that Iran can't send humans in space 2016 and I won.
I can even bet with you, they can't do even in 2021 without foreign corporation.

Akask kumar

They are just announcing it.. They are also building a stealth fighter too by the way.. I doubt though they would be able to achieve either of those target... While I like Iranians, but their government is just bullshiting.

Yeah it's just a power source.. I didn't articulate well but there is no "nuclear propulsion" anyway I guess... unless we count the Project Daedalus style propulsion. But we could imagine using a ion propulsion with a RTG if we have a proper isotope.
Yes! thnx some one got what i meant.. PROJECT DAEDALUS ,..thnx once again for reminding about the project.. nuclear propulsion is just Hypothetical ,International space community will never permit it.

Anupu

Country flag
its total fake ,

@Anupu you like iran and afghanis maybe because you hate or at least dont like pakis whatelse ,

and woh dur sehi acche hai .
Aisa bhi nahi hai ki I hate or dislike Pakistanis, Aapne toh aise hi assume kar liya sir. Normal Pakistani se mera kya pangaa. Government ke tante alag hai.... Iranians se bhi kya pangaa waise hi.

But Iranian government is making total chutiya out of it's people most of the times.

Yes! thnx some one got what i meant.. PROJECT DAEDALUS ,..thnx once again for reminding about the project.. nuclear propulsion is just Hypothetical ,International space community will never permit it.
It was a very stupid idea anyways... it could never enter orbit around a star .. it would have only been a fly by.. that too for a enormous expenditure.

Akask kumar

Fund is a big issue for them.

Moreover, they need bigger capsule for humans for carrying which they need a vehicle like Shavit.
Even then, a flight of short time period is meaningless. You need a big vehicle for demonstrating capabilities.

I bet with SOHIEL that Iran can't send humans in space 2016 and I won.
I can even bet with you, they can't do even in 2021 without foreign corporation.
u didnt get my point.. i said "even if" they achieve a proper space flight .. whats the point.. it will be just a showcase.. no vision..
my whole debate was on vision.. if u dnt have a vision,plan for future human space flight then it is pointless to do it..
if india has vision of stablishing a research laboratory then go for human space flight .. if we dnt want a space lab then whats the point in lauching human in space ... ITS ABOUT VISION

New threads

Articles