ISIS in the Philippines

bhramos

Country flag
So, Filipino ISIS already has pick-up trucks with machine guns fitted on them? How did they manage to do this so quickly? How come they have RPGs? Am I supposed to believe there was no foreign hand in it?
it seems those Rpg were Rpg-2 of Vietnam war era, they could not even penetrate cardboard Armor..........

i accept with you about that pickup trucks....

pmaitra

Good observation @bhramos. I wonder to what level the ISIS has armed itself. I know they looted an armoury.

pmaitra

Why is ISIS Operating in the Philippines?

By Stephen Lendman
Global Research, June 02, 2017

In response to violence allegedly instigated by ISIS in the Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao, imposed military rule, and threatened to extend it nationwide to defeat the threat.

What’s going on? Why did ISIS begin operating in the Philippines? Weeks after taking office in mid-2016, Duterte blasted Western imperial Middle East policies, saying the Obama administration and Britain “destroyed the (region)…forc(ing) their way into Iraq and kill(ing) Saddam.”

“Look at Iraq now. Look what happened to Libya. Look what happened to Syria.”

He blasted former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for failing to act responsibly against what’s gone on for years – on the phony pretext of humanitarian intervention and democracy building.

He called Obama a “son-of-a-bitch” for his unaccountable actions – no way to make friends in Washington, especially if his geopolitical agenda conflicts with US aims.

On the day he declared martial law, he met with Vladimir Putin in Moscow for discussions on future military and economic cooperation.

Philippine president given red carpet treatment in Beijing, with both sides agreeing to resume talks on South China Sea (Source: South China Morning Post)

He seeks improved economic and military ties with China. Ahead of visiting Beijing last October, he said

“only China…can help us,” adding:

“All that I would need to do is just to talk and get a firm handshake from the officials and say that we are Filipinos and we are ready to cooperate with you, to help us in building our economy and building our country.”

“If we can have the things you have given to other countries by the way of assistance, we’d also like to be a part of it and to be a part of the greater plans of China about the whole of Asia, particularly Southeast Asia.”

He promised to cool tensions over South China Sea disputes.

“There is no sense fighting over a body of water,” he said.

“We want to talk about friendship (with Beijing). We want to talk about cooperation, and most of all, we want to talk about business. War would lead us to nowhere.”

He announced no further joint military exercises with America, saying he’s open to holding them with China and Russia.

Shifting away from longstanding US ties doesn’t go down well in Washington. Are efforts by ISIS to establish a Philippines foothold part of an anti-Duterte Trump administration or CIA plot independent of his authority?

According to a June 2 Duran.com report, retired Philippine military official Abe Purugganan claims ISIS violence in Mindanao is part of an opposition Liberal Party plan to undermine Duterte and oust him from office – citing information from a party whistleblower.

Below are the comments The Duran posted, saying:

“There is a lot of noises and chatters flooding the cyberspace, you got to use your discernment to filter all these information.”

“LETS PLAY FIRE WITH FIRE,” explaining “(t)hese are the exact words stated by Loida Lewis and her fellow oligarchs on a meeting months ago with Liberal Party members abroad,” adding:

Their plan is to use ISIS or ISIS-connected terrorists to instigate violence and chaos in Mindanao, wanting Duterte’s government destabilized and ousted.

If the information reported is accurate, it explains what’s now going on, likely to worsen, perhaps spread to other parts of the country.

Last week, Duterte said

“if I cannot confront (ISIS terrorists threatening the country), I will resign. “If I am incompetent and incapable of keeping order in this country, let me step down and give the job to somebody else.”

If US dirty hands are behind the ISIS insurgency, he’s got a long struggle ahead, trying to overcome the attack on him and perhaps Philippine sovereignty.

Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at [email protected].

pmaitra

Whistle-blower says ISIS war is opposition plot to oust Duterte

ADAM GARRIE | [SOURCE]

The shocking claims would mean that the war against Philippines is not an act of insurgency but of treason.

Philippine media have been sharing a post from retired Philippine military veteran Abe Purugganan which claims that the ISIS war on Philippines is part of an internal coup organised by members of the opposition Liberal Party with an aim to illegally oust democratically elected Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

Mr. Purugganan claims that he is publishing information provided by a whistle-blower who works inside the opposition Liberal Party of Philippines.

upload_2017-6-4_2-42-35.png

As a point of reference, the Maute Group is synonymous with ISIS in Philippines.

The entire post is posted below:

“There is a lot of noises and chatters flooding the cyberspace, you got to use your discernment to filter all these information.

Here is another post about an update on the alleged plan of the opposition to oust Pres Duterte.
————-
LETS PLAY FIRE WITH FIRE ”

These are the exact words stated by Loida Lewis and her fellow oligarchs on a meeting months ago with Liberal Party members abroad.

Source is from a Liberal party official. The yellow dont know they have a traitor working for them….He / She said that Lewis and Liberal Party members met up abroad and also used the loud speaker of their mobile phone to communicate with Antonio Trillianes. He/she said that he /she was sure it was Trillianes on the speaker phone bec. his voice was very familiar and the way he talks really sounded like Trillianes.

Their plan was to coordinate with Maute and Abusayyaf leaders including Liberal party supporters from the government in Marawi.

Lewis and other oligarchs said that since “Digong is in side with the Marcoses and supports Martial Law, why dont we Play Fire With Fire “.

One oligarch also said that the plan was for the maute group and other bandits to join forces and create chaos in Mindanao since most of the relatives of the Maute group are in Marawi. They are sure that they will protect their family ( -Maute group- ) and will use these civilians who are relatives of the Mautes to pretend and be a victim of martial law.

They already arranged paid media to cover the drama and acting of abuses and even planned bandits to dress up as AFP members and take pictures of abuses.

Their main plan is to use Martial law to destabilize the government. Force Duterte to declare martial law and create a drama just like before during Marcos time and abuse the civilians by the fake paid army and media and create chaos.

This is how martial law got out of hand during President Marcos time. The Aquinos and other oligarchs set up the government. xxx

Eto pala yung sinasabi ni Trillianes noon na may pasabog sila pagdating ng Mayo… Note that one LP senator was in Marawi 3days before”.

The post has been taken seriously by the generally reliable Philippine media outlet News Graph.

According to News Graph, the source of the leaked information is a worker inside the Liberal Party whose name has not been disclosed for his protection. As a point of reference, this is if anything, more reliable than the totally anonymous leaks that have been spilling out of the Trump administration.

There is indeed a logic to the information contained leaks from the Liberal Party whistle blower. Duterte’s opposition have been deeply critical of his decision to declare temporary martial law on the island of Mindanao. Many would be desirous to exploit the situation in order to attempt to create ‘regime change’ in Philippines. Indeed many are all ready agitating in such a direction.

The information from the alleged leak could imply that the entire scenario is orchestrated as a kind of sick pact between ‘real’ and ‘bogus’ ISIS fighters and opposition parties in Manila with the clear intent to force Duterte in to the present situation wherein martial law has been deemed necessary.

As the post implies, such kinds of orchestrated instability was common before the era of Ferdinand Marcos.

If this information turns out to be true, it could go a long way in explaining the clockwork like timing of the ISIS offensive when President Duterte was away and in Moscow no less, meeting with President Vladimir Putin.

These claims should be scrutinised further but nevertheless, they should be taken seriously.

Flame Thrower

@pmaitra @brahmos

No one goes to war without preparation.

How hard is it to find ISIS sympathiser who is good with welding work. How hard is it to find local goods delivery guys or someone who own the vehicles shown in video. How hard was to find good drivers...These are mere child's play.

But getting huge amounts of ammo and weapons cache, training them is a bit tricky part.

Of all this mess, America is the looser. Dutrete had made sure that he every diplomat know that America is the reason for all this mess and the cause is "his closeness with China". Till date America enjoyed upper hand with South Asian countries; fought it's battles with China using South Asian countries as shield.

Darker side of America can't be exposed in a better way to South Asian countries. I am sure that most of these will be looking for a way out from American clutches, make peace with China. This might take atleast 10 more years to fruition as first these countries need to deal with the minions of America, so that they don't turn into Monsters when the time is ripe.

Wow, things are getting interesting day by day.

One more thing guys, please look at my post 91(note, I've assumed that if Philippines has asked help on Day 1) and let me know what you think of it. If you feel it as thread diversion, pls ping your response through Personal messages.

pmaitra

I got a strange stupid question...

If Philippines come and ask India to help them, should we interfere....

If so, how... I remember, we've helped Maldives in similar situation (not so similar, Mercenaries tried to Kill their President not civilians) and we sorted the issue in 18 hrs flat.

I don't know much about the situation, if Dutrete asks help, how long it will take us to clean up the mess. I don't know about the situation on the ground, so gurus please shed some light.
@pmaitra @brahmos

No one goes to war without preparation.

How hard is it to find ISIS sympathiser who is good with welding work. How hard is it to find local goods delivery guys or someone who own the vehicles shown in video. How hard was to find good drivers...These are mere child's play.

But getting huge amounts of ammo and weapons cache, training them is a bit tricky part.

Of all this mess, America is the looser. Dutrete had made sure that he every diplomat know that America is the reason for all this mess and the cause is "his closeness with China". Till date America enjoyed upper hand with South Asian countries; fought it's battles with China using South Asian countries as shield.

Darker side of America can't be exposed in a better way to South Asian countries. I am sure that most of these will be looking for a way out from American clutches, make peace with China. This might take atleast 10 more years to fruition as first these countries need to deal with the minions of America, so that they don't turn into Monsters when the time is ripe.

Wow, things are getting interesting day by day.

One more thing guys, please look at my post 91(note, I've assumed that if Philippines has asked help on Day 1) and let me know what you think of it. If you feel it as thread diversion, pls ping your response through Personal messages.
Personally, I am not too keep on sending Indian soldiers and sailors abroad unless absolutely necessary. One look at the map of Philippines will tell you that the Indian Army and Indian Navy will be overstretched for any operation in Philippines. The saving grace here would be that PRC will not object as long as we are aiding Duterte, who is in good terms with PRC. In principle, I am all for fighting ISIS, and the Philippines would at least be accessible compared to Syria. On the plus side, our sailors would get some experience (that we don't have much) in aiding operation from the sea while our soldiers partake in combat on the ground (we have experience in that department).

bhramos

Country flag
Good observation @bhramos. I wonder to what level the ISIS has armed itself. I know they looted an armoury.
that armoury belongs to Police, not Army, still if they were RPG-7 means it will clearly tell external hand help, so they were only given, what is around them...

pmaitra

that armoury belongs to Police, not Army, still if they were RPG-7 means it will clearly tell external hand help, so they were only given, what is around them...
That is my suspicion as well. Also, they released all the prisoners, so it was a well prepared plan. I wonder whether these were political prisoners or imprisoned terrorists.

bhramos

Country flag
Personally, I am not too keep on sending Indian soldiers and sailors abroad unless absolutely necessary. One look at the map of Philippines will tell you that the Indian Army and Indian Navy will be overstretched for any operation in Philippines. The saving grace here would be that PRC will not object as long as we are aiding Duterte, who is in good terms with PRC. In principle, I am all for fighting ISIS, and the Philippines would at least be accessible compared to Syria. On the plus side, our sailors would get some experience (that we don't have much) in aiding operation from the sea while our soldiers partake in combat on the ground (we have experience in that department).
atleast we Indian Navy could just Blockade Marawi Sea port and Patrol it, we cant send in IA,
but in case of Syria we can send 4-5 IAF fighter planes for atleast gain some experience....

pmaitra

atleast we Indian Navy could just Blockade Marawi Sea port and Patrol it, we cant send in IA,
but in case of Syria we can send 4-5 IAF fighter planes for atleast gain some experience....
I am not sure why one would need to blockade the port but I get what you are saying - we can patrol it.

I was thinking more in the lines of an Indian Navy Battlegroup with our Vikramaditya carrying out air-strikes from the sea.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag

pmaitra

Didn't anyone see RT interview of Duerete, posted by ScatterStorm (Timeline 19:13).

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isis-in-the-philippines.79204/page-5#post-1308838

Duerete says, Philippine Army has caught many caucasian looking middle eastern men from captured ISIS city of Marawi and already killed 6 of them.
Chechens??????Azerbaijanis??????.....................................
Duterte should publicize these pictures like the Syrian and Russian reporters do. If you find some, post them, but make sure to use the spoiler if the pictures are bloody.

Akshay_Fenix

Last edited:

prohumanity

Country flag
Indian Army in Phillipines...NO WAY...there is no reason to send Indian soldiers to a foreign nation in civil war like situation.
Phillipines have been a vassal of US and US has a responsibility to protect its vassal state....before any other nation.
When countries starts using "our terrorists" Vs "their terrorists" ...such wars will never end.
One good thing is coming out of these situations...the World is gradually realizing that "whoever raises the snakes to bite neighbors children...gets bitten by the same snakes eventually."

airtel

Country flag
Indian Army in Phillipines...NO WAY...there is no reason to send Indian soldiers to a foreign nation in civil war like situation.
Phillipines have been a vassal of US and US has a responsibility to protect its vassal state....before any other nation.
When countries starts using "our terrorists" Vs "their terrorists" ...such wars will never end.
One good thing is coming out of these situations...the World is gradually realizing that "whoever raises the snakes to bite neighbors children...gets bitten by the same snakes eventually."
He mean to say that , we should train Phillipino Army in India , just Like we train Afghanistaani Army in India .

According to me ....................We should not interfere .

Akshay_Fenix

Friendly fire kills 11 Philippine soldiers in Marawi

ST_20170602_RDMARAWI_3181427.jpg

Eleven soldiers died in an air strike aimed at driving out Muslim militants still holding parts of the southern Philippine city of Marawi City, as the country's biggest internal security crisis in years deepens with no end in sight yet.

Brigadier-General Restituto Padilla, the military spokesman, told reporters that an SF-160 aircraft, normally used for training pilots, missed its mark and dropped a bomb instead on ground troops trying to flush out gunmen holed up in fortified buildings.

That brought the total number of soldiers killed so far in the fighting for Marawi to 36. Three policemen and 19 civilians have also died.

The clashes began last Tuesday, after security forces tried to capture Isnilon Hapilon, head of the South-east Asia branch of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Government troops underestimated the strength of the militants protecting him, and the raid went awry. The militants, mostly from the Maute group, took over much of Marawi, setting fire to a cathedral and a hospital and taking hostages.

Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said he remained confident that the military would drive all remaining militants out of Marawi by today. Some 100 gunmen were still holed up in only "one strong point", he said.

"It's very hard to crack. It's across a bridge from city hall…The target is still there. (Friday) afternoon, let's see," said Mr Lorenzana, noting that the militants were hiding in reinforced buildings, covered by snipers. "Sometimes, our artillery shells just bounce off the roofs."

But he said 21 armoured vehicles and a third battalion of marines had been sent to dislodge the militants.

"There's only one strong pocket of resistance. If we can converge our troops, the more we won't need air strikes. We'll just let the ground troops do their thing," he said.

Mr Lorenzana said the information on Hapilon was "A1", but "what the military and police didn't know was there were already a lot of Maute and ISIS (fighters) around the city. They had a big plan to take over Marawi". He added that Hapilon used "several million dollars" from ISIS to bring in militants from his strongholds in the Sulu archipelago, while the funds were brought in by South-east Asia fighters coming home from Syria and Iraq.

President Rodrigo Duterte said yesterday that the Marawi plot "is purely ISIS". Mr Lorenzana said at least 120 militants have been killed in Marawi, including two each from Malaysia, Indonesia and Saudi Arabia, and one each from Chechnya and Yemen. Asked if they were ISIS members, he replied: "I believe so. "

Many of the 500 who joined in the fighting were trying to slip out of Marawi, blending in with fleeing civilians, he said. Those still putting up a fight were protecting Hapilon.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/friendly-fire-kills-11-philippine-soldiers-in-marawi

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Didn't anyone see RT interview of Duerete, posted by ScatterStorm (Timeline 19:13).

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isis-in-the-philippines.79204/page-5#post-1308838

Duerete says, Philippine Army has caught many caucasian looking middle eastern men from captured ISIS city of Marawi and already killed 6 of them.
You know something just struck my mind.
I haven't been keenly following the PHP episode, but from the earlier SYR episode, I do remember that in the early stages, plenty of ISIS fighters on horses and on foot were wearing full-on face masks.

Why are these proud, islamic "warriors", ready to die for deen, allahiu blah blah covering their faces.
I bet some of them are foreigners (Euros, or US spec ops, //they found some of them in UKR episode) who are claiming to be native syrian "moderate" "rebels"

Willy2

If ISIS really have european mercenary in Philippines , then the only way philipiono army can get back by city by bombing innocent civilian, ravaging the city etc ..and they have past record to hit through human shield in fight against drug lords ..so it's not new ..
Only sensible way is to cut off reinforcement , smuggling in that area , but corruption is so high in that country ,i don't think terrorist gonna face any problem .
Russian or Chinese military intervention can save them only

Innocent

Country flag
Indonesia says 1,200 ISIS operatives in Philippines, 40 of them from Indonesia
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ives-in-philippines-40-of-them-from-indonesia

Published
Jun 4, 2017, 1:38 pm SGT

SINGAPORE (AFP, BLOOMBERG) – There are about 1,200 ISIS operatives in the Philippines, including foreigners of whom 40 are from Indonesia, the Indonesian defence minister told an international security forum on Sunday (June 4).

General Ryamizard Ryacudu also estimated there were as many as a million ISIS sympathisers in Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim-majority nation, but fewer than 700 were a “real problem.”

The broader South-east Asian region is home to about 15 per cent of the world’s 1.57 billion Muslims.

Speaking in Singapore amid a bloody standoff between Philippine troops and militants fighting under the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group flag in Marawi city, Defence Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu called the militants “killing machines” and urged full-scale regional cooperation against them.

“I was advised last night, 1,200 ISIS in the Philippines, around 40 from Indonesia,” General Ryacudu told the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue, organised by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies.

“The terrorism threat in this region has evolved into an unprecedented immediate level of emergency,” said Gen Ryamizard, whose capital, Jakarta, was struck last month by twin suicide attacks that killed three police officers.

“The death group’s area of operation has gone global.”

He called for expanding anti-piracy patrols initiated in August by Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines near Mindanao to include Singapore and Thailand and focus on terrorism. President Joko Widodo has called on lawmakers to expedite the passage of revised anti-terrorism laws to give police more power.

The threat of heightened terrorism, including the impending return of hundreds of South-east Asian fighters who fought with ISIS in Syria and Iraq, has been a hot-button issue at the three-day Singapore summit also attended by US Defence Secretary James Mattis.

Hundreds of Islamist gunmen rampaged through Marawi, a largely Muslim city of 200,000 in the south of the mainly Catholic Philippines, on May 23 after government forces attempted to arrest their leader, Isnilon Hapilon.

Up to 50 gunmen are still controlling the city centre nearly two weeks after the start of fighting that has killed 177 people including 120 militants.

“How can we tackle these foreign fighters? We have to be comprehensive,” said Gen Ryamizard, a retired general.

“We have to find... complete ways but we must exercise caution, they are killing machines. Their aim is to kill other people so that’s why it’s our responsibility that we have common understanding, consensus and common proceedings on how to fight these foreign fighters.”

Philippine Defence Undersecretary Ricardo David, speaking at the same forum, said the 1,200 figure for total ISIS fighters in the Philippines mentioned by Indonesia was new to him.

“I really don’t know, my figure is about 250-400, a lot less,” he told reporters.

But General David said there were 40 foreign ISIS fighters among those who seized parts of Marawi, eight of whom have been killed by government forces.

Earlier, Philippine officials said the slain foreign fighters were from Malaysia, Indonesia, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and Chechnya.

“Our intelligence estimates that there are about 40 foreigners that fought in the Marawi incident,” Gen David said.

The Philippine official added that the foreign fighters used “back channels” in the Sulu and Celebes Seas near the borders of the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia to enter the southern island of Mindanao and link up with local terror groups.

“That’s why they were able to muster the operations in the area of Marawi,” Gen David said.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles