INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
But why our army doesn't believe in our indigenous weapons ??Look at the Russians ,they don't import any stuff ,they have a firm believe in their weapons performance.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
In this category Sergeant Kalashnikov (who retired as LTG) wrote the book on the subject. Maybe an Indian weapons designer with such innovation will emerge.

Mikhail Kalashnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
People who are around me and user of almost all kind of firearms in IA, Does not believe the same ..

INSAS is primary AR, And its a excellent rifle ..

But why our army doesn't believe in our indigenous weapons ??Look at the Russians ,they don't import any stuff ,they have a firm believe in their weapons performance.

Austinjimson

Insas is a good rifle.Rather than scraping insas programme and giving tenders to various foreign companies the MoD and army should improve and upgrade it with the help of arde if they find any fault.Using an indigenous stuff is always good for domestic industry.Availability of spare parts are easy. Foreign companies are reluctant to transfer the technology. They may not provide spare parts when required.So rather than giving tenders to different foreign companies our government should improve the rifle furthermore.

Last edited:

Austinjimson

Guys,I just wanna know one thing.Is the insas rifle being currently used by IA suitable for use in siachen glacier??

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Guys,I just wanna know one thing.Is the insas rifle being currently used by IA suitable for use in siachen glacier??

You might try finding this article which addresses problem of cold effect on polymer.

"INSAS not performing to optimum level: Army - Times Of India". .timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2001-08-13. Retrieved 2014-02-05.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

As, @W.G.Ewald Sir, Said that there were polymer issue, It happens to be with some batches of magazines ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If you have nothing to share meaningful, Don't post here ..

sbm

Country flag
Kunal, I love this thread and you responses. What I would like is to hear from your experience and those of your associates with the INSAS rifle and LMG - accuracy, reliability, build quality and performance in difficult environments.

I know you've dealt with this repeatedly but the nonsense of the naysayers has gone on long enough and you're the man to deliver the knockout blow

acetophenol

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas: sir,I a video on UN peace keeping mission in Sudan,our men in Patrol were carrying INSAS without Mags. Why so?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In that case you have noted my respones to the same questions you are asking now ..

Though, I wont mind to repeat the same answers .. :)

1. INSAS 1B1 has good accuracy and precision so does LMG ..

2. INSAS 1B1 reliability is good in muddy, Cold, Desert environment without or with proper maintenance for various durations, It takes 15-20mins to clean and oil INSAS 1B1 in field conditions ..

3. INSAS 1B,1B1 had issues with build quality, These issues been rectified in new Improved INSAS 1B1 ( Issued since 2009 ) ..

More queries are most welcome ..

Kunal, I love this thread and you responses. What I would like is to hear from your experience and those of your associates with the INSAS rifle and LMG - accuracy, reliability, build quality and performance in difficult environments.

I know you've dealt with this repeatedly but the nonsense of the naysayers has gone on long enough and you're the man to deliver the knockout blow
=================================

Carrying rifle with empty magazine or without magazine is a friendly gesture by trooper to Civilian population ..

@Kunal Biswas: sir,I a video on UN peace keeping mission in Sudan,our men in Patrol were carrying INSAS without Mags. Why so?

sbm

Country flag
Thanks - a question though why all the negative press ? It has been unceasing.

Other question - optical sights and NV sights, I hope the scale of issue is improving ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
India is the largest importer of Arms in the world and has highest corruption scams involving these deals, Its highly unlikely that India manufacturing its own arms is a good news for these foreign companies and their associates, Various News papers and channels are attached to various foreign lobbies, These channels are a medium of PR for these foreign lobbies, Hence you have flood of these kind of news over Indian media, This is not limited to INSAS but all other Made and design Indian products ..

Former General V.K Singh Sir, Was a very effective General against corruption in Army, He exposed TATRA Scam and many other things, I suggest you may find your answer better in this video, So do watch it ..

Thanks - a question though why all the negative press ? It has been unceasing.
=========================

INSAS comes with Reflex, DMR and PNS sights, DMR and PNS sights are used by Army and other forces, Where as Reflex are being issued recently to some Infantry Units ..

Other question - optical sights and NV sights, I hope the scale of issue is improving ?

sbm

Country flag
Kunal, did the black INSAS B1 enter general army service or is it in just small quantities ? Also, what of the Excalibur ?

Sea Eagle

Excalibur was never put through trials since the Army never made a request for it.

====== ======= ======

Kunal, did the black INSAS B1 enter general army service or is it in just small quantities ? Also, what of the Excalibur ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Excalibur was in SF & Special units before the arrival of TAR-21, Excalibur was meant for special purpose ..

Excalibur was never put through trials since the Army never made a request for it.

====== ======= ======
====================

1B1 improved is replacing older 1B1 from most Infantry Unit since 2009 ..

hitesh

Excalibur was in SF & Special units before the arrival of TAR-21, Excalibur was meant for special purpose ..

====================

1B1 improved is replacing older 1B1 from most Infantry Unit since 2009 ..
Sir jee did the special ops guys used the same 20 mag or they were issued with 30 mag for Excalibur .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I never saw one in person but from various photos i assume it is 20rnds magazine same as 1B1`s ..

Sir jee did the special ops guys used the same 20 mag or they were issued with 30 mag for Excalibur .

Austinjimson

Hey guys India should develop Heavy Meachine Guns which has deadly and devastating fire power like American Ma duce .50cal and the russian dshk,nsv and kord HMGs eapecially with incendiary and armour killing rounds which can good bunker busters and good in hunting out enemies in entrenched and well dug out hide outs as wells as taking out enemies in armoured vehicles including tanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles