INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

DivineHeretic

Country flag
I cant understand why do we need Foreign rifles??

If we can make these
why we dont use them??

We are already a Zoo of arms, for Ak 47s- From Original Russian variant of it to it's copy of Former East Germany's version known as MPi-KM

In any future all out long war I fear how Indian army will supply lots of different spare parts for different weapons?:confused:
Its all about perception, mate.

The IA had several bad experiences with the initial batches of INSAS, problems which were rectified in later batches.

The current problems, if any, are faced by the units still holding the old batches of INSAS. But the problem is that INSAS and DRDO made a bad impression amongst the mid-level ranks in the IA then (Kargil, for example). These very officers now occupy the higher ranks, and since they dont use these weapons regularly now, many still retain the bias against the INSAS, and indeed indegenious rifles.

Add to this mix the middleman and corrupt bureaucratsm and you have a pretty good idea why the foreign guns are preferred

But ontopic, if the IA is willing to shell out Rs. 3-4 lac per Assault rifle, the why not completely redesign the INSAS assault rifle? At that price range, you should be able to strip all plastic/steel furniture and swap them with Composites, even Carbon fibre. The tradiational iron sights can be replaced completely with better ones.

Change the stock to a lighter modern one as in G-36, attach a indegenious red-dot sight as standard and reduce the number of individual parts amd ypu have a new rifle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Re: ACOG Alternatives ( Legal )

Changing INSAS 1B1 Grip >>

Just let you guys know, I have not included the fore-grip as its not same with INSAS..
MOD is not gonna to allow modification in large scale.Even if it allowed it common soldiers have to do it using their own money and it will cost atleast a couple of months their salary.So i dont see any thing of this sort is gonna happen .
Any way wonderful pics kunal.Great work.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Really appreciate you like it..

Gud to ask intelligent questions, but i would share deep info with a professional..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: ACOG Alternatives ( Legal )

Such practices are forbidden but done for sake of operational requirement..

There are hundreds of AKM captured every year by IA in COIN ops and 99% of them are folded butt, such as this example :

With correct guidance, A unit can replace all the solid butt-stocks with captured AK`s folded butt-stocks with help of a screwdriver, and can deposit the solid butt-stocks back at armory, same can be done for solid stock AK in service, Unfortunately there are no such guidance for such simple modifications which lead to such odd and dangerous steps..

Now days its gud that individual officers are doing and teaching others such modifications and upgrading there own Rifles from there own pockets if not government..

Now I know why this guy left that little bit when sawing off his INSAS butt!

TrueSpirit

Even if we can produce it in India, it will be license produced, and we will still have to pay a license fee. So, who designed and developed the gun is indeed very important.
India should invest in precision engineering tools, but continue to produce the INSAS while the Army should work on a new GSQR and hand it over to OFB so that they can come up with a prototype 3 years hence
The points raised above are extremely vital, but vested interests ensure that they are not paid heed to. Lets see if there is any resolute individual left to stand against entrenched import lobbies & survive all the way to the top. Highly onerous, though.

Waffen SS

Re: What If Multi-Cal Rifle Tender Falls?

@Kunal Biswas can we use drum magazine in INSAS rifle?

I also think if we use poisonous bullets in INSAS rifle? One shot one kill?

Oh, sorry move it to INSAS rifle and LMG thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

We talked about this sometime back..

@Kunal Biswas can we use drum magazine in INSAS rifle?

I also think if we use poisonous bullets in INSAS rifle? One shot one kill?

Oh, sorry move it to INSAS rifle and LMG thread.
@Kunal Biswas Why do we not use drum mags for INSAS LMG? I have a drum mag design of 100 rounds that is half the size of a 100 round C-Mag which takes 30 sec to load up.
this carry 150 and double drum for better balance

INSAS is very strictly as per GSQR, So you see everything on INSAS as per GSQR, In IA LMG was always meant for Magazine where as need for GPMG only came after Kargil War, Where 30rnd mag was found insufficient for continues suppressive fire..

May be if someone make a new GSQR keeping suppressive fire in mind may think of it..

X-15 50 round drum magazine

Its shorter in length compare to a 30rnd Mag of AR-15 / INSAS LMG,

=========================
=========================

Size of the Magazine and Weight are primary concern, A solution balanced between these two factor may be a good choice..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I would add another question, Why didn't media even mention DRDO in the competition.. ?

This whole process of buying new rifles is a scam ( evidence posted on first page ) ..

I hv already asked this but again , why this tender if we hv our one in development ? don't u think we should wait for a DRDO product .

ladder

Country flag
The tender and subsequent trials exposed our army officers into comparative trials of around 5 multi-cal weapons.
so, they gained insight into the technical parameters and advantage and disadvantage of multi-cal rifles and modular construction.

So, even if this tender fails, the GSQR which they will issue to DRDO will be updated and stringent.
Also, as we know the DRDO multi-cal rifle is under prototyping phase, so the feedback during trial will also be stringent and practical.And not lax or something impossible to achieve.

In all I hope the multical rifle reaching our soldiers be best that money can buy.

As for next iteration for development for INSAS , the customer base of CAPF's and state police is more than a million and that itself mandates the next variant to be produced for providing an updated solution to them.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Interesting facts about INSAS 1B1 Iron sights >>

Insas rear flip up sight feature two rear sights, in this case 2 = 200ms that is under short and medium range

Flip the other one by pushing down the first

You have 4 = 400ms and beyond comes for long ranges, INSAS 64gr ammo can kill tangos at 500ms, if hit the body.
INSAS 1B1, lower and upper receiver are directly AK influenced while the barrel, Ammo and Sights are influenced by M16...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles