INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

soikot banerjee

Country flag
upload_2018-1-18_20-36-42.png

Right now the whole assault rifle procurement looks like this to me. Further suggestions are welcome. The Fast Track procurement gun seems to be fitting in the 7.62*51 area as it is meant for the immediate needs in the forward area. The Fast track procedure will surely go to the Punj-Lloyd JV, though I seriously doubt the level of tech transfer. The rest of the 7.62*51 Rifles seems to be in favour the OFB-Private JV as the regarding the Normal procurement DPP 2016 definitely gives upper priority to the IDDM project rather than buy and Make or Buy Category.

Pandeyji

Country flag
For an Army our size, this is not a logistical nightmare. Rather, going for a single foreign rifle as a standard issue weapon is going to burn a big hole in our defence budget.

By your logic, why should we provide an LMG, Carbine and AR separately in a section when it is going to be logistical nightmare. Seriously, this logistical nightmare thinking should not be applied to every situation.

Logistical nightmare is having 3 different fighters of similar capabilities and weight class. That is cause the number of parts for an aircraft is >> number of parts for a rifle and at the same time number of aircraft in service is << number of rifles in service. When you have 450 infantry battalions and more combat support and rear echelon troops, you can easily have 3-4 rifles in service.
I said so b/c the scheme I hear is like

• Foreign rifle for the Ghatak company
  • Indigenous for rest
Besides your comparisons about rifle, lmg & smgs is disingenuous. They serve different purposes. My question is what is the point of having separate weapons of same callibre?

Doc Mozart

Country flag
View attachment 22611

Right now the whole assault rifle procurement looks like this to me. Further suggestions are welcome. The Fast Track procurement gun seems to be fitting in the 7.62*51 area as it is meant for the immediate needs in the forward area. The Fast track procedure will surely go to the Punj-Lloyd JV, though I seriously doubt the level of tech transfer. The rest of the 7.62*51 Rifles seems to be in favour the OFB-Private JV as the regarding the Normal procurement DPP 2016 definitely gives upper priority to the IDDM project rather than buy and Make or Buy Category.
Any news on the DRDO AAR? Would certainly like to see it compete against the ghaatak and the mk1c.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I said so b/c the scheme I hear is like

• Foreign rifle for the Ghatak company
  • Indigenous for rest
Besides your comparisons about rifle, lmg & smgs is disingenuous. They serve different purposes. My question is what is the point of having separate weapons of same callibre?
Agreed that Ghatak platoon (not company) having Galil and the rest of the battalion slinging OFB 7.62X51 is a bad idea. Which is why I fell it might not happen at all. Where did you hear this scheme?

Hari Sud

Country flag
No word yet on which rifle and carbine has been selected for purchase in the recently approved acquisition proposal.

Tanmay

Country flag

OFB 7.62*51 Sniper rifle.
TamilNadu police SWAT during recent Police sniper competition in Manesar.
PC= INDRA FB page
Seems to be a good effort by ofb. Can you get info about its performance. And also ID the scope pls.
Though the fixation with orange furniture remains . An olive green would have been a good choice perhaps.

soikot banerjee

Country flag

Gun in spec is 600 mt version, Gun with soldiers is 1Km version (As claimed by source).
We are making a steady progress in case of sniper rifle manufacturing.

Can't the OFB get inspiration from such guns???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orsis_T-5000
Yes, then people will say they are Piece of shit copycats, can't come up with their own.
Let them do something of their own, it has entered service and hence production. It is only a year old, modifications will follow eventually! It isn't that bad as of now.

Tanmay

Country flag
We are making a steady progress in case of sniper rifle manufacturing.

Can't the OFB get inspiration from such guns???
Whatever guns the OFB makes or imports, there is a greater need for Sniper School. What we have are just marksmen as Kunal da always tells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orsis_T-5000
Hand a normal infantryman the best if sniper rifles it serves no great purpose without a fully trained sniper

aditya g

Country flag
Just love the concept of having a police commando competition in the first place.

Imagine these units have trained and send their best men, showing off their best kit. They all go back with a lot learning and we get good pics!

OFB 7.62*51 Sniper rifle.
TamilNadu police SWAT during recent Police sniper competition in Manesar.
PC= INDRA FB page

abingdonboy

Country flag
Just love the concept of having a police commando competition in the first place.

Imagine these units have trained and send their best men, showing off their best kit. They all go back with a lot learning and we get good pics!
Absolutely! One of the best things to have begun in the internal security arena in recent times and the best part is this is organised and run by the best in the business- the NSG. Hope that more advanced elements are added in the future like hostage rescue, airline hijack, mass shooting etc. I know sniping was added for the first time this year.

This makes the idea that a few ex-IA guys keep peddling to get rid of the NSG even more absurd.

NSG's role in internal security is almost entirely ignored, most think they just sit around waiting for "the call" but really their deployments around the country are relentless (their operational tempo is absurd, they have teams based in pretty much every state capital at this time of year some as small as 1 HIT team (about 10-12 operators) having to be ready at all times for an emergency situation, then they return to their respective base where they will refresh and be sent somewhere else.). Not to mention that pretty much every first response team raised post-26/11 has been done so by the NSG and the NSG is continously assisting them on a bilateral basis.

This is before we even discuss their role in bomb detection/investigation in the country.

NSG really are unsung heroes, wish the govt would live up to its promise and rid it entirely of VVIP protection duties, collapse SRG/ reduce it to the minimum possible levels and give them a massive increase in CAPEX. They have good gear but they deserve THE BEST as well as their own air wing and world class training equipment.

Last edited:

soikot banerjee

Country flag
The Iron sights can be adjusted to 800ms, With scope its gud for 1000ms ..

======================

Can anyone identify the scope`s manufacturer & Origin ..
Looking at the finish of new INSAS 1C, Noone can tell it is sub-standard. It looks cool though

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Sniper rifle bipod seems to be too good for OFB type manufacturing quality. Wonder if imported Or outsourced?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles