INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

pmaitra

Not sure whether already posted. This is a nice graphical representation of what it would look like once operational.

At the end, there are a few seconds of footage from Vikramaditya.

balwnatlk

2 questions
1) what that ship near vikrant ?
2) what's that wrist band on New Zealand Navy Chief hand and is it with cam?

Defencearts

Man, the aircraft carrier looks really "muscular" or definition if you will. Love the way it looks.

Kharavela

Country flag
Why are we trying to get CATOBAR technology from USA, doesn't russia have anything to offer us in this field ?
After operating CATOBAR Carrier R11 (incidentally that was INS Vikrant) for 36 years, haven't our engineers learned to design & build them ?? I certainly do not agree that given a chance, our engineers indigenously can not design & build Catapults for aircraft launching system.

Having said that, CATOBAR places great strain on the Carrier every time an aircraft is launched. In comparison, a STOBAR is simple to operate & doesn't place any strain on the Carrier at the time of launching because the aircraft uses its own power & angled deck. Therefore, STOBAR Carriers can operate for longer periods without much maintenance hassle.

Moreover, as Cochin Shipyard has already learned building STOBAR Carriers, our policymakers should think of maximizing value for money spent on infrastructure by producing at least 3 more copy of Vikrant (IAC-1). Instead of worrying about CATOBAR design, our policymakers should think of nuclear propulsion replacing gas turbines in our future Aircraft Carriers.

NLD

After operating CATOBAR Carrier R11 (incidentally that was INS Vikrant) for 36 years, haven't our engineers learned to design & build them ?? I certainly do not agree that given a chance, our engineers indigenously can not design & build Catapults for aircraft launching system.

Having said that, CATOBAR places great strain on the Carrier every time an aircraft is launched. In comparison, a STOBAR is simple to operate & doesn't place any strain on the Carrier at the time of launching because the aircraft uses its own power & angled deck. Therefore, STOBAR Carriers can operate for longer periods without much maintenance hassle.

Moreover, as Cochin Shipyard has already learned building STOBAR Carriers, our policymakers should think of maximizing value for money spent on infrastructure by producing at least 3 more copy of Vikrant (IAC-1). Instead of worrying about CATOBAR design, our policymakers should think of nuclear propulsion replacing gas turbines in our future Aircraft Carriers.
Well said bro.......
Going to more follow on vikrant class carriers will be really a great move..
But as u said about catobar I don't think it is that much easy as u said.. Ya we have operated catobar AC but that doesn't mean it is that much easy to build it. Just by operating and servicing it I don't think we ll gain the technology to build it.
If we go to more follow on AC and then think about these yes till then we may have our own catobar or even emails.
And about nuclear propulsion still we are on first step I think. Our arihant class sub's ll hv to refueled time to time unlike U.S, Russian or may be some more countrys nuclear vessels which ll be fueled once in its life time. Still their is lot to be done in this matter. It is better to get the technology first either way build indeginiously or try to get it from anyone else.

Last edited:

Kharavela

Country flag
Well said bro.......
Going to more follow on vikrant class carriers will be really a great move..
But as u said about catobar I don't think it is that much easy as u said.. Ya we have operated catobar AC but that doesn't mean it is that much easy to build it. Just by operating and servicing it I don't think we ll gain the technology to build it.
If we go to more follow on AC and then think about these yes till then we may have our own catobar or even emails.
And about nuclear propulsion still we are on first step I think. Our arihant class sub's ll hv to refueled time to time unlike U.S, Russian or may be some more countrys nuclear vessels which ll be fueled once in its life time. Still their is lot to be done in this matter. It is better to get the technology first either way build indeginiously or try to get it from anyone else.
Haven't our engineers & scientists prove themselves in various fields even during technology denial sanctions ?? Various missiles such as Prithvi, Agni, Akash, Nag apart from Chandrayan, Mangalyan are testimonies to the capabilities of Indian scientific expertise.

CATOBAR is not rocket science, its working principle is known to all. Challenge lies in the details of construction. Then again, if our shipyards are capable of complex projects like Arihant & Vikrant, I do not find a reason why they can't construct a Steam Catapult.

NLD

Haven't our engineers & scientists prove themselves in various fields even during technology denial sanctions ?? Various missiles such as Prithvi, Agni, Akash, Nag apart from Chandrayan, Mangalyan are testimonies to the capabilities of Indian scientific expertise.

CATOBAR is not rocket science, its working principle is known to all. Challenge lies in the details of construction. Then again, if our shipyards are capable of complex projects like Arihant & Vikrant, I do not find a reason why they can't construct a Steam Catapult.
Even I m not denying that our scientists are not capable of achieving the task. I m just telling it takes time. Till then we cannot freez our carrier program(vishal). Else we will be left with lone carrier as we had for these many years. So the better move is as u said going to more vikrant follow on carriers. May be one or two till then we ll hv catobar system of our own and can hv vishal at that time.
But still we don't know what IN needs... What are its plans?? Why it is behind nuclear and emal AC? May be their is need of it....

Kharavela

Country flag
Even I m not denying that our scientists are not capable of achieving the task. I m just telling it takes time. Till then we cannot freez our carrier program(vishal). Else we will be left with lone carrier as we had for these many years. So the better move is as u said going to more vikrant follow on carriers. May be one or two till then we ll hv catobar system of our own and can hv vishal at that time.
But still we don't know what IN needs... What are its plans?? Why it is behind nuclear and emal AC? May be their is need of it....
Nowhere I have said to freeze our Carrier program for INS Vishal. Rather I have suggested to build more follow on Carriers with the experiences gained from Vikrant (IAC-1) which will ensure maximum value for money invested in the infrastructure in Cochin Shipyard. With that, our strategic requirements will not get affected & our engineers will get time to develop CATOBAR / EMALS on their own.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
background INS VIKRANT :drool::india2:
I'm more surprised with how similar their uniforms are.

Why is our Navy uniform/insignia/salad-design so similar to other crown-commonwealth Navies (like Royal Canadian/Australian/New Zealand)?

Yumdoot

:biggrin2:

But for the white skin, brown skin difference nobody can tell which one is from which navy.

kstriya

Country flag
Experts, can the Vikrant class be converted into an LDP or LHD something on lines of Juan Carlos class.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Experts, can the Vikrant class be converted into an LDP or LHD something on lines of Juan Carlos class.
Just why would you wanna do that? It wouldn't make any sense.
That said the answer is no!
A LHD/LDP needs a well deck and facilities to store vehicles and men for transit, neither of which a carrier has. A carrier can be used as a rudimentary helicopter troop carrier at best.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles