INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Just a theory of yours, keep track on this thread someone surely post pics for all ..

Oh yes, that's right; ramp-launched planes can't be fully loaded. :thumb: In any case, do let us know when you have pics of both elevators being used for the Migs.

sasi

I believe weapon loading and refueling of ac will take place at upper deck for safety!

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
"INS Vikramaditya will serve Navy for 30 years" | idrw.org

For all the debates over its price, utility and delay in induction, aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is sure to serve the Navy for at least 30 years, says a senior technical officer of the Navy.

"The entry of the Vikramaditya marks a paradigm shift, as it heralds a new era in carrier operations in the Indian Navy. The way it has been rebuilt and equipped with advanced systems and machinery will ensure that it plods on for another 30 to 40 years," Rear Admiral S. Madhusudanan, Admiral Superintendent of the Naval Ship Repair Yard (NSRY) in Kochi, told The Hindu.

Rear Admiral Madhusudanan headed the Navy's inspection group that monitored the conversion of derelict Russian carrier Admiral Gorshkov into the Vikramaditya at Russia's Sevmash Shipyard.

"It is not a question of the hull alone. Its air component, electronic suites and other equipment are all state-of-the-art," he said, but declined to comment on reports about the carrier bracing for induction without a close-in-weapon system (CIWS) or missile defence. "Yes, there are certain issues there," was how he put it.

(While the long-range surface-to-air missile — LR-SAM a.k.a Barak 8 — jointly developed by India and Israel is unlikely to be ready for induction in the next couple of years, delay in the development of the missile has already derailed commissioning of the Kolkata-class destroyers — the AK-630 CIWS is slated for integration aboard the Vikramaditya in a year or so.)

Rear Admiral Madhusudanan is elated about the forthcoming launch of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier that will carry the legacy of India's first carrier, INS Vikrant by taking on the name.

"INS Vikrant is a name that stands out. No other Indian warship has enjoyed the status it had, both in terms of combat proficiency and its reflection of the nation's history," said the Rear Admiral, who had served aboard the Vikrant and was part of the commissioning crew of INS Viraat.

Defenceindia2010

Country flag
"INS Vikramaditya will serve Navy for 30 years" | idrw.org

For all the debates over its price, utility and delay in induction, aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is sure to serve the Navy for at least 30 years, says a senior technical officer of the Navy.

"The entry of the Vikramaditya marks a paradigm shift, as it heralds a new era in carrier operations in the Indian Navy. The way it has been rebuilt and equipped with advanced systems and machinery will ensure that it plods on for another 30 to 40 years," Rear Admiral S. Madhusudanan, Admiral Superintendent of the Naval Ship Repair Yard (NSRY) in Kochi, told The Hindu.

Rear Admiral Madhusudanan headed the Navy's inspection group that monitored the conversion of derelict Russian carrier Admiral Gorshkov into the Vikramaditya at Russia's Sevmash Shipyard.

"It is not a question of the hull alone. Its air component, electronic suites and other equipment are all state-of-the-art," he said, but declined to comment on reports about the carrier bracing for induction without a close-in-weapon system (CIWS) or missile defence. "Yes, there are certain issues there," was how he put it.

(While the long-range surface-to-air missile — LR-SAM a.k.a Barak 8 — jointly developed by India and Israel is unlikely to be ready for induction in the next couple of years, delay in the development of the missile has already derailed commissioning of the Kolkata-class destroyers — the AK-630 CIWS is slated for integration aboard the Vikramaditya in a year or so.)

Rear Admiral Madhusudanan is elated about the forthcoming launch of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier that will carry the legacy of India's first carrier, INS Vikrant by taking on the name.

"INS Vikrant is a name that stands out. No other Indian warship has enjoyed the status it had, both in terms of combat proficiency and its reflection of the nation's history," said the Rear Admiral, who had served aboard the Vikrant and was part of the commissioning crew of INS Viraat.
Let it first start its service.

p2prada

Oh yes, that's right; ramp-launched planes can't be fully loaded. :thumb:
The first two launching points can handle loaded weight with full air-air loadout.

The third launching point at 195m enables take off of Mig-29K at MTOW.

In any case, do let us know when you have pics of both elevators being used for the Migs.
The weight the lift handles is fine for an empty Mig-29K, maybe with some percentage of fuel, but I am not sure if the lift dimensions allow it. I knew the answer before, but now I don't.

I think somebody here has lift dimensions.

nirranj

Country flag
The previously unidentified projectile, seen launched from the Indian Navy's Aircraft Carrier, INS Vikramaditya, identified.

A few posts earlier included images of the INS Vikramaditya, one of which showed it firing what then was assumed to be a defensive weapon system. A search in that direction turned up nothing. As it turns out, they are actually anti-ship missile decoys being launched from the PK-2 countermeasure system. Loaded from below the deck, the system launches them through the ZiF-121 barrel, mounted on the deck.

A fixture that also existed on the Vikramaditya's original configuration as an Aircraft-Carrier Cruiser, Admiral Gorshkov, it is said to be capable of launching corresponding decoys, that could deceive either air-borne Anti-Ship Missiles or underwater torpedoes, which it drops into the water from the slide-like arrangement, seen circled in the picture

Seen in the picture is the rocket-propelled Anti-Ship Missile decoy. One can verify it by observing the picture below, that shows the decoys in storage, whose cross-section matches that of the launched projectile, especially its nose.

The PK-2 is believed to be capable of launching a variety of decoys ranging from the passive chaff & flare dispensers, to active Radio Frequency [RF] decoys that lure missiles away from the actual physical target by simulating electromagnetic emissions as would be radiated by a comparable or bigger physical target.​

Last edited:

Crusader53

The first two launching points can handle loaded weight with full air-air loadout.

The third launching point at 195m enables take off of Mig-29K at MTOW.
Do you have a reliable source???? Honestly, I doubt the Mig-29K can take-off at MTOW even from 195m........

p2prada

Do you have a reliable source???? Honestly, I doubt the Mig-29K can take-off at MTOW even from 195m........
So while F-35B can take off from 168m at MTOW, a more powerful and significantly lighter Mig-29K cannot take off at MTOW from 195m.

Nice logic.

Anyway,

One of your older previous posts,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-gorshkov-aircraft-carrier-37.html#post260021
NO WAY THE MIG-29K CAN TAKE OFF AT MTOW FROM ANY SKI JUMP EQUIPPED CARRIER. PLEASE, PROVIDE A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE WORD OF A FRIEND. (Which, is no disrespect to the aformeantioned)
Anyway, this used to be an active link with pretty credible Mig-29 info,
http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/planes-mig29-29k_9_31
The MiG-29K power plant consisted of two RD-33K by-pass engines with complex digital control system. The maximum thrust was increased to 5,500 kgf, the maximum afterburner thrust reached 8,800 kgf. Unlike the RD-33K turbojet mounted on the MiG-29M, the shipborne aircraft engines featured an emergency mode, during which a temporary (short time) thrust increase to 9,400 kgf was possible. Thanks to the emergency mode, an aircraft with the take off weight of 17,700 kg could take off from the first starting position (in this case the take off run was 105 m), and a 22,400-kg heavy plane could take off from the second starting position (in this case the take off run amounted to 195 m).
These discussions were already over. So stop flogging a dead horse.

Crusader53

So while F-35B can take off from 168m at MTOW, a more powerful and significantly lighter Mig-29K cannot take off at MTOW from 195m.

Nice logic.

Anyway,

One of your older previous posts,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-gorshkov-aircraft-carrier-37.html#post260021

Anyway, this used to be an active link with pretty credible Mig-29 info,
http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/planes-mig29-29k_9_31

These discussions were already over. So stop flogging a dead horse.
I never said the F-35B could take off at 168m at MTOW. Nonetheless, I still don't see a source that states the Mig-29K can take off at MTOW at any length. (Can't open link?)

Last edited:

p2prada

I never said the F-35B could take off at 168m at MTOW.
I pointed this out to prove even Mig-29K can.

Nonetheless, I still don't see a source that states the Mig-29K can take off at MTOW at any length. (Can't open link?)
That link is dead. But the words are from that link.

Carrier aircraft are expected to take off at very heavy loads from short distances. Mig-29K has already proven that.

Crusader53

I pointed this out to prove even Mig-29K can.

That link is dead. But the words are from that link.

Then I still have my doubts. As it's common knowledge that Aircraft that operate from Ski Jump Carriers. Don't have the ability to operate at the same MTOW as aircraft that launch from Land Bases or Catapult Equipped Aircraft Carriers.

Carrier aircraft are expected to take off at very heavy loads from short distances. Mig-29K has already proven that.

I've seen nothing to support that??? Many link wasn't dead???

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles