INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Adux

Country flag
There is nothing to say for sure it is to scale, Also the last aircraft cannot be parked there, since its nose is jutting into the landing strip, the same has been done in layout.

There can be no parking in the front of the island ( one of the main lifts is situated) and ofcourse not in the back of the island also.

The only parking can be done one the two sides of the island, and it cannot be more than 4 or 5 and 2 or 3 helicopters.

The kuzentzov itself, which is a much larger carrier and with a proper carrier layout cannot carry more than 10 Su-33's, you replace them with MiG's, that goes upto 13 or 14. There is no way Gorshkov is going to carry 12 MiG's on topdeck. There is simply no space.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

As it can be seen, kuznetsov cannot park its arcrafts there unlike Vikramaditya have space clearly marked for parking there..

kuznetsov CV is different class from Vikramaditya which is a kiev class & further modified both CV layout are different..

Also Kuznetsov deck layout deign goes back to early 90s, unlike Vikramaditya deign is recent keeping in mind about parking space over deck ( US CV deign philosophy )

p2prada

The Gorky's elevators are of 20 tons and 30 tons capacity. One is to the side(20 tons) of the island and the other to the aft(30). There is enough space for a Mig-29 to be parked behind the aft elevator. It is between the parking area and the landing strip. The elevator to the side of the island is between the landing strip and the island, it is closest to the second take off point.

Both elevators do not affect parking as much as on other ships of it's class.

While there is much more required from Gorky's design, it still provides superior capability to the current carrier, INS Viraat and any other carrier design available to us. It pretty much falls between INS Viraat and Vikrant class. The only bad aspect of Gorky is the delay in modernization of the carrier. The carrier is very cheap though. $2.3Billion for the refit and $750Million-$1Billion for the air component. We got ourselves a carrier.

pmaitra

Kunal, I noticed a few things here:

• The topmost picture is that of the Kuznetsov. Gorshkov (now Vikramaditya) has no lift in front of the island (it has one on the port side of the island). Kuznetsov has two lifts, one in front and one behind the island, just like the IAC.
  • Secondly, it looks like fighters can be parked in front of the island of Vikramaditya (but we'll have to wait and see).
  • Gorshkov and Vikramaditya have one airstrip in common, the flat one jutting out on the port side. VIkramaditya has grown a new airstrip which Gorshkov did not have, the one that goes flat and then onto the ski-jump ramp jutting out off the bow. This one in all probability will be used only for take-off and not landing, so I don't see aircraft parked in front of the island causing any problems while landing, because the flat airstrip will be used for landing.

Refer to this post.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Landing on Vikramaditya will be same as Kuznetsov

Have a look at this video. MiG-29Ks for Vikramaditya are being tested on the Kuznetsov. Notice which airstrip is used for landing.

So, if planes are parked in from of the island of the Vikramaditya, they will not at all interfere with landing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovian

Hi all,

There are some new photos of the INS Vikramaditya in the following link ...

k u l e s h o v o l e g.livejournal.com/45828.html#cutid1
(delete the spaces)

Sorry, I don't know how to post or attach photos. Hope someone can help so that everyone can view them.

Best regards,
Jovian

Sancho

Kunal, I noticed a few things here:

[*]Secondly, it looks like fighters can be parked in front of the island of Vikramaditya (but we'll have to wait and see)
When you check the latest pics of INS Vikramaditya, it seems that the take off markings on the ski-jump has a similar angle than at the Kuznetsov carrier and not like we could see in these earlier models and graphics:

That means, that the parking slot in front of the island will be lost, because the forwarded take off position would be there and not at the side of the island, which actually would be logical, because it otherwise would block the elevator. Another advantage of this layout would be, that you can land one fighter, while another could take off from the forward position. This is not possible with the older layout in the pics you posted, because both take off positions would interfere with the landing fighter.
The downside on the other side is, that less fighters / aircrafts can be carriered on the carrier, will be interesting to see how many fighters and helicopters really can be carried at the end.

p2prada

During operations I don't think landing and taking off happens simultaneously. The landing aircraft needs the space to be able to take off again if there are problems.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
When you check the latest pics of INS Vikramaditya, it seems that the take off markings on the ski-jump has a similar angle than at the Kuznetsov carrier and not like we could see in these earlier models and graphics:

That means, that the parking slot in front of the island will be lost, because the forwarded take off position would be there and not at the side of the island, which actually would be logical,
^^Kuznetsov

This is projected deck..

bhramos

Country flag
Hi all,

(delete the spaces)

Sorry, I don't know how to post or attach photos. Hope someone can help so that everyone can view them.

Best regards,
Jovian
noting new, all are old pics.........

Adux

Country flag
One parking slot will be lost on the left side of the island due to one of the elevators, there can be absolutly no parking on the front of the Island due to second elevator and the want of space, caused by the island not being on the side of deck as it should be. On right side of the island parking near the last spot closer to the skijump will be a tricky business, because of the space constraint caused by the Island, the angle at which the aircraft will be launched will not exactly be cnduicive to have a parking there, the same reason will be apply to the last parking spot at the end of runway near the traps, because of the shape of the ship and the angle of the landing.

pmaitra

Hi all,

(delete the spaces)

Best regards,
Jovian
Use the link of the picture (image URL), and post it surrounded by image tags: [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ], without the spaces.

Try to reply to my post and you will see how I posted this picture.

Jovian

Use the link of the picture (image URL), and post it surrounded by image tags: [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ], without the spaces.

Try to reply to my post and you will see how I posted this picture.
Thanks mate.

cir

Delivery time is now 1st half of 2013. Interesting。:rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles