India's Nuclear Doctrine

Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran?

• Total voters

StealthFlanker

Country flag
For your opinion as just monitored you significantly active.
thanks, i guess
Personally, i dont have much to say about this. Nuclear is one of a few weapons that i really dislike, the collateral damage is too high, and it the lost for both if they both use it. Mutual destruction if you will. So in my humble opinion, it should be used with precautions, may be only as the last dicth measure

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Personally, i dont have much to say about this. Nuclear is one of a few weapons that i really dislike, the collateral damage is too high, and it the lost for both if they both use it. Mutual destruction if you will. So in my humble opinion, it should be used with precautions, may be only as the last dicth measure
It should absolutely be considered as one of the first measures if a peaceful, militarily smaller country like India is invaded by a behemoth like China. I'd rather raze the other country to the ground than have a single Indian Army casualty

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The invariable for watchers, analysts and nationalist has been always the decision making capacity of political class.

I have seen them being apperihensive or defensive while putting forth any argument. I still remember constipated yellow dragons on Pakistani forum having an edge and mocking pussy footer Indians on this topic.

The kind of corrupt, do nothing, compromised dispensation we had before there was no such confidence that they will stay true on statute doctrine or call it level Red when the need will arise; let alone lowering the threshold further. .

I am proud of you Mr. Parrikar, though the affirmation came from higher leadership ages ago when Mr Modi visited INS Vikramaditya (forgot the occasion) and unequivocally assured the nation that we will stay true to our Doctrines. Unfortunately many so called defense enthusiasts missed it.

It will be so nauseating to see good for nothing guilt ridden peacniks spouting against DM and forgetting the insult we used to endure from Chinese and Pakistanis.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The entire logic of nukes is deterrence .
A certain ambiguity is always welcome.

Especially when Pakistan keeps ratching up nuclear rhetoric it's only logical to response in same tune. The paki elites should be aware that we can nuke them first too if they do not back off .

Regarding china it is a serious game . The commie have been playing bad boys for long time and it served them well. They keep upping the ante while talking about Peace . We need to have a certain degree of deliberate recklessness in dealing with them .

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
After our surgical strikes the Pakis have STFU about their using nukes at the slightest provocation! Their bluff has been called!

And do their so called battlefield nukes even work? They've never been tested as yet. So it's possible that they are nothing but duds!

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
After our surgical strikes the Pakis have STFU about their using nukes at the slightest provocation! Their bluff has been called!

And do their so called battlefield nukes even work? They've never been tested as yet. So it's possible that they are nothing but duds!
I don't think that they have successfully miniaturized Nukes

In my knowledge American Davy Crockett is the only such kind of nuke

raja696

Bravo, should scratch NFU on paper too. Fck those peaceniks. He also says in end, ultimately on defence you dont follow everything on paper. :hehe:
Why dont we have country specific nuclear doctrines. For example with a clause those countries which occupy directly or indirectly Indian sovereign land NFU will be void. And declare it officially with documented doctrine.

SANITY

Narendra Modi should tighten leash on Manohar Parrikar for his, India's interests

Prime Minister Narendra Modi should have a word with his defence minister once he returns from his visit to Japan. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar needs to have the responsibilities of his high office explicitly explained to him. For a defence minister to talk loosely about India’s nuclear prowess at a time when the PM was en route Japan is unconscionable.

The garrulous minister poked a hole through India’s nuclear posture on Thursday, questioning a basic premise of India's nuclear policy which New Delhi has been using in its negotiations with Japan as well as in its campaign for admission to the Nuclear Supplier’s Group. Parrikar’s strenuous, but late efforts claiming that these were his personal views do not hold water. Persons holding important offices should keep their personal views private and not bandy them at official functions.

Addressing the audience at a book release function, the defence minister expounded on India's nuclear policy, saying that India should not bind itself to a no-first-use policy. “Why should I bind myself?” Parrikar asked.

India had announced a moratorium on nuclear testing shortly after conducting nuclear tests in 1998; the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government had announced a no-first-use of nuclear weapons policy in 2003.

India's nuclear policy has an important bearing on the Indo-Japan nuclear cooperation deal, which Prime Minister Narendra Modi signed on Friday. Japan has always stressed on a nullification clause in the nuclear agreement, which states that Japan would nullify the agreement if India were to conduct further nuclear tests.
On its part, India always cited its "unilateral moratorium" on nuclear testing to counter the Japanese demand. It had urged Japan to accept the declaration in the same way as other countries have done in their nuclear cooperation agreements with India. Indian and Japanese negotiators have been working to devise a way around this impediment by conveying the same sentiment in more acceptable phraseology.
Not just that, India’s case for admission to the Nuclear Supplier’s Group is based on its record as a responsible nuclear power. Being a non-signatory of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), India holds that its "no-first-use" of nuclear weapons policy meets the same purpose. Under the no-first-use policy, India declared that it would not use nuclear weapons unless attacked with nuclear weapons.
Someone in government needs to sew the mouth shut of this minister at such a high position with his foot in mouth disease all the time. You want to use nukes first, do so if it is ever actually needed but without making India look a double standard nation to whole world until and unless we actually need to break our own moratorium. Do your job but shut the silly mouth.

raja696

Narendra Modi should tighten leash on Manohar Parrikar for his, India's interests

Prime Minister Narendra Modi should have a word with his defence minister once he returns from his visit to Japan. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar needs to have the responsibilities of his high office explicitly explained to him. For a defence minister to talk loosely about India’s nuclear prowess at a time when the PM was en route Japan is unconscionable.

The garrulous minister poked a hole through India’s nuclear posture on Thursday, questioning a basic premise of India's nuclear policy which New Delhi has been using in its negotiations with Japan as well as in its campaign for admission to the Nuclear Supplier’s Group. Parrikar’s strenuous, but late efforts claiming that these were his personal views do not hold water. Persons holding important offices should keep their personal views private and not bandy them at official functions.

Addressing the audience at a book release function, the defence minister expounded on India's nuclear policy, saying that India should not bind itself to a no-first-use policy. “Why should I bind myself?” Parrikar asked.

India had announced a moratorium on nuclear testing shortly after conducting nuclear tests in 1998; the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government had announced a no-first-use of nuclear weapons policy in 2003.

Someone in government needs to sew the mouth shut of this minister at such a high position with his foot in mouth disease all the time. You want to use nukes first, do so if it is ever actually needed but without making India look a double standard nation to whole world until and unless we actually need to break our own moratorium. Do your job but shut the silly mouth.
This view is quiet opposite what think tanks believe. ... we are not in self batter whirl hole to believe in ur mental conspiracy.

Whats wrong in his personal belief about our NFU doctrine.

Please care to explain. Why should we stick to age old doctrine when geo politics are shifting considerably.

When people above believe en say that NFU doesn't matter in war like scenario. Then why consider NFU itself.

Atleast modified doctrine will help added psychological parameters in crisis which extends enemy overview and overburden them in event of misadventure. Sometimes it even contributes to stalemate between adverseries.

Last edited:

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
This view is quiet opposite what think tanks believe. ... we are not in self batter whirl hole to believe in ur mental conspiracy.

Please care to explain. Why should we stick to age old doctrine when geo politics are shifting considerably.

When people above believe en say that NFU doesn't matter in war like scenario. Then why consider NFU itself.

Atleast modified doctrine will help added psychological parameters in crisis which extends enemy overview and overburden them in event of misadventure. Sometimes it even contributes to stalemate between adverseries.
Nothing is wrong in his personal belief and I personally even believe that it is correct as official policy. What is a little wrong is the fact that he would voice it when Modi is visiting Japan and concluding a civilian nuclear deal. Japan is VERY skittish about nuclear weapons due to their history, Manohar could have sabotaged the deal. Lastly, while he is fully entitled to expressing his personal opinions, I believe it is not proper decorum for an official to voice opinions that diverge from official policy while in office. Correct decorum would be to reform official policy to match and then voice the same opinion.

SANITY

What conspiracy theory? Did you read the article? Di you read my comment? Did I oppose first use policy? No. Please read properly and you get the answer. There are no nation thinking or threatening use of nukes in any scenario except Pakistan and his comment isn't going to affect Pakis but it can damage our reputation. It will prevent our exceptionalism in various issues where we get world support despite being a non-signatory to NPT. We have just made a civilian nuclear deal with Japan and what helped us get the deal, it is Mr. Modi repeated assurance to Shinzo Abe about our voluntary moratorium on nuclear weapon testing. He can have his personal views (irrespective of right or wrong) but as defense minister, needs to check his mouth which can affect our national interests negatively.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Nothing is wrong in his personal belief and I personally even believe that it is correct as official policy. What is a little wrong is the fact that he would voice it when Modi is visiting Japan and concluding a civilian nuclear deal. Japan is VERY skittish about nuclear weapons due to their history, Manohar could have sabotaged the deal. Lastly, while he is fully entitled to expressing his personal opinions, I believe it is not proper decorum for an official to voice opinions that diverge from official policy while in office.
Very good point, good observation. I never thought of it.
.................................................................................................................

What Mr Parrikar has said helps restore faith. Though it is his personal opinion but if political dispensation talks about escalation and lowering the threshold the actual threshold and doctrine become non-negotiable.

raja696

What conspiracy theory? Did you read the article? Di you read my comment? Did I oppose first use policy? No. Please read properly and you get the answer. There are no nation thinking or threatening use of nukes in any scenario except Pakistan and his comment isn't going to affect Pakis but it can damage our reputation. It will prevent our exceptionalism in various issues where we get world support despite being a non-signatory to NPT. We have just made a civilian nuclear deal with Japan and what helped us get the deal, it is Mr. Modi repeated assurance to Shinzo Abe about our voluntary moratorium on nuclear weapon testing. He can have his personal views (irrespective of right or wrong) but as defense minister, needs to check his mouth which can affect our national interests negatively.
Lol my humble apologies @SANITY
I read ur view. I respect ur opinion.

Yes I agree about wrong timing to express his opinion. But that doesn't mean what defence minister said is wrong.

These days too many people are ready to tarnish defence minister. Thats what I see from the link you provided.

The article is well written with an intention to exaggerate what DM said and portrayed him as unprofessional.

I believe media lobby is trying hard on behest of its clients or corrupt officials inside defence.

May be defence minister is trying to get concensus and gather support around his circle. Unfortunately his move is mistimed.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The article is well written with an intention to exaggerate what DM said and portrayed him as unprofessional.

I believe media lobby is trying hard on behest of its clients or corrupt officials inside defence.

May be defence minister is trying to get concensus and gather support around his circle. Unfortunately his move is mistimed.
Yes !
We don't know if he is being unprofessional or it is a deliberate attempt to redefine the basics.
I will bet on the later.

Regarding timing of his statement. He is defense minister of India it's about time he speak out his mind without giving a damn about anything else.

All these issues NSG , nuke deals these are dealt with real strategic calculation. Statements hardly change the ground reality.

As an emerging power we need to stop being so sensitive. Little sabre rattling is good for health too:biggrin2:

IndianHawk

Country flag
I'm sick of these half wit reporters .:facepalm:

Of course any treaty is worded to suite political sensitivities of both nations.

At the end of the day it's just a treaty. We can break it too if Japan becomes annoying.

Similar drama since India US nuclear deal which also we can too break anyday and test thermonuclear weapons.:cowboy:

Meanwhile as long as treaty lives we get tech plus more uranium.

What is there to loose somebody must teach these morons:doh:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles