India's NSA visits Sri Lanka

ejazr

Ambassador
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-for-Sri-Lanka-talks/articleshow/14517371.cms

NEW DELHI: Seeking to revive the talks between the Sri Lankan government and Tamil parties, which have remained stalled for months now, India said on Friday that it will continue to remain engaged with all parties involved and offer any support required for the task. The remark was made by NSA Shivshankar Menon who was in the island nation to take stock of the situation.

Menon was briefed about steps being taken by Sri Lanka on political reconciliation and settlement. "While this is a Sri Lankan issue and something that Sri Lanka has to do, we will continue to remain engaged with all concerned and offer any support required in this regard," said Menon after his meetings.

Apart from Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Menon also met foreign minister G L Peiris, economic development minister Basil Rajapaksa and defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa. He also met the leader of Tamil National Alliance leader Sampanthan.

Menon said that India has always stood for a united Sri Lanka within which all citizens can live in equality, justice, dignity and self-respect. "We have worked closely with the Lankan government on relief, rehabilitation and resettlement of IDPs," he said.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
MEA - Ministry of External Affairs

June 29, 2012

My visit to Sri Lanka today has been in the context of regular consultations and exchange of views between the Government of India and the Government of Sri Lanka.

"¢ I called on H.E. President Mahinda Rajapaksa this morning. Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris was also present at the meeting. Thereafter, I met Mr. Basil Rajapaksa, Minister of Economic Development and Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Defence Secretary. I also met the TNA leader Mr. Sampanthan.

"¢ I discussed recent developments, bilateral relations and areas of common concern. I was also briefed about steps being taken by the Government of Sri Lanka on political reconciliation and settlement. While this is a Sri Lankan issue and something that Sri Lanka has to do, we will continue to remain engaged with all concerned and offer any support required in this regard.

"¢ India has always stood for a united Sri Lanka within which all citizens can live in equality, justice, dignity and self-respect. We have worked closely with the Government of Sri Lanka on relief, rehabilitation and resettlement of IDPs. India's assistance was appreciated by the Sri Lankan leadership in all my meetings. We remain committed to continue our cooperation.

"¢ We also discussed the fishermen's issue. It was noted that the practical arrangements of October 2008 should be adhered to until an alternative mechanism was agreed upon. We agreed that fishermen's associations on both sides, which had met in the past and reached some understandings, needed to meet again to work on developing this further. This could then serve as the basis for finding a solution to this humanitarian issue.

"¢ On the bilateral front, we noted that most of the Indian-assisted projects were proceeding well and several projects, particularly those relating to the development of railway infrastructure in the Northern and Southern Provinces, were being implemented well ahead of schedule. In the past two years, India has committed US$ 750 million under lines of credit and another US$ 350 million under grants-in-aid. There are a number of other new projects under consideration.

"¢ We also discussed maritime cooperation and other security related issues. It was agreed that we could take this further.

"¢ Sri Lanka is our close neighbour, with whom we enjoy a multifaceted and dynamic relationship. We look forward to strengthening and further developing this engagement.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles