Indian Railways News

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Railways increase freight charges - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: With the aim of mopping up more revenue to offset high input cost, Railways have decided to increase its freight charges by six per cent on all commodities from tomorrow.

While the busy season charge will be increased from existing seven per cent to 10 per cent for most of the goods, the development charges will increase from two per cent to five per cent all goods.

pmaitra

AC Double Decker (1/2)

My top pick!!!

View from upper deck:

View from lower deck:

Discussion on Technical Problems with 'Horizontal Lurching' (Bengali):

In the above video, most of it is visually understandable. Below are some of the conditions laid down by the Safety Commissioner that must be met prior to starting commercial passenger service:
  • Maximum speed will be capped at 110 kmph (these carriages are capable of 160 kmph while most of the route tracks support upto 130 kmph).
  • Between Howrah and Dhanbad, there are 12 places where the maximum speed should be 15 kmph.
  • Between Dankuni and Shaktigarh, it cannot use the main line and will have to use the reversible third line on its way back.
Alterations have been made in the design for the new coaches that are 3.5 cm thinner than the previous ones and will be used in Mumbai-Ahmedabad and Delhi-Jaipur routes.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

AC Double Decker (2/2)

Some more videos:

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
i wating when it would run between mumbai-pune or mumbai-Ahmedabad specially mumbai-pune. on side note is it possible to run it on mubai-pune regions considering that passes through ghats

pmaitra

i wating when it would run between mumbai-pune or mumbai-Ahmedabad specially mumbai-pune. on side note is it possible to run it on mubai-pune regions considering that passes through ghats
Mumbai-Ahmedabad - Will happen soon. Modified carriage design and prototypes are ready.
Mumbai-Pune - Not anytime soon. They will give one in the North, Delhi-Jaipur and possibly one in the South before they give a second one to the West.

Ghats in the Mumbai-Pune section is not a problem. The height of the catenary from the tracks is constant all over the country with a very few exceptions. Also, non-AC Double Deckers have been run on this section, so yes, it is possible.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Railway bookings: Tatkal reservation period reduced to 24 hrs - Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Plagued by increasing number of complaints in Tatkal booking scheme, the Railways today decided to reduce the advance reservation period of the scheme from two days to one day as part of measure to prevent misuse of the facility.

Besides, the restriction for agents will be extended from one hour to two hours (8 am to 10 am) and there will be no refund on confirmed Tatkal tickets subject to the exceptions such as cancellation of trains and late running trains.

"It was necessary to make changes in Tatkal scheme as there were many complaints against Tatkal bookings. We had to take some steps to prevent its misuse. All these changes will be effective within a week," Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told reporters here.

Tatkal tickets shall be sold only on production of the identity proof and there shall be only four passengers per PNR for Tatkal tickets.

Trivedi said Tatkal reservation period was reduced from 48 hours to 24 hours to prevent its misuse by unscrupulous elements who resort to speculative booking.

According to the changed system, no duplicate Tatkal tickets shall be issued now and it would be done only in exceptional cases on payment of full fare including Tatkal charges.

"We are also planning to introduce a whistle-blower scheme to catch hold of touts who are indulging in misusing of reservation facilities. We are also installing CCTV in the booking area to keep a vigil at the counters," Trivedi said.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Now, northeast & south come closer

Until Friday night, Bijan Sonowal could think of nothing much other than his uncle Niranjan's kidney ailment and their upcoming journey to Vellore for his treatment.

On Saturday morning, some of that anxiety lifted for Bijan, a resident of Silapathar of upper Assam's Dhemaji district. When he and other members of his farming family boarded the train for Vellore at Dibrugarh, they learnt they were going to be part of a historic journey.

They were passengers on the inaugural run of the Vivek Express, a new weekly train that now boasts the longest rail route in the country – 4,286 km all the way from Dibrugarh in upper Assam, to Kanyakumari at the southern tip of Tamil Nadu, that will be covered in 82.30 hours.

"We are really happy and proud to learn that we are travelling on the longest rail route of the country on the very first day," Bijan told The Hindu after the train crossed New Tinsukia junction, its first stop. "I have kept aside my worries about the treatment of my uncle for a while to enjoy every bit of the journey because it is going to be a memorable one for me."

The family will get down at Katpadi junction in Tamil Nadu from where the hospital in Vellore city is a drive of 20-25 minutes.

Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar flagged off the train at Dibrugarh station in the presence of Assam Revenue Minister Prithibi Majhi and General Manager of North East Frontier Railway Keshav Chandra.

This train left in the morning, but the regular weekly service, which will begin on November 26, will leave at 11.45 p.m. every Saturday, reaching its destination at 10.25 a.m. on Wednesday.

Before this, the Himsagar Express running between Jammu Tawi and Kanyakumari had the longest run, covering 3,715 km.

Hundreds of Malayalee families living in Assam and other Northeastern states are equally excited about the new weekly train.

Members of the Kerala Samajam of Dimapur are planning to give a befitting welcome to the train when it arrives at Dimapur station on November 27, the day after the regular service begins.

"It is a long cherished dream of Malayalee people living in Dimapur and beyond to board a direct train. It will be really beneficial for the passengers from the entire region," said Abraham Kuriakose, member of Kerala Samajam, Dimapur.

Mr Abraham said that Kerala Samajam, Dimapur, has about 300 Malayalee families registered with it and for a long time they had been fighting for introduction of direct train from Dimapur.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
hi as winter is approaching and there are dense fog in morning in night and so question came to mind is it possible to have some king thermal imaging cameras or night vision enable cameras enabled with gps fitted in engine which can help drivers of engine to run the train so that trains are not late

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I was looking for to post pics of Railways, There was a thread related to it, I lost the link can anyone post it here or send me in PM..

Thnx..

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Logistics : New policy to attract private participation in railways
Facing a huge backlog of pending projects worth Rs 1 lakh crore, Railways is planning to opt for build, operate and transfer (BOT) model as part of a new investment policy to attract private participation in rail connectivity and capacity augmentation projects.
seriouslly would MAMATA allow it and even if allowed which private party is interested in BOT . i don`t see any scope

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles