Indian Railways News

another_armchair

Country flag
I think with everythjing going cashless, these service problems sure have light at the end of tunnel in near future. Service and hygiene in general improved for sure in some railway zones, some are still in very poor shape and maintained really bad. I found SCR better than WR overall with cleaner trains and on time and service generally better.
Question of discriminatory pricing does not arise in trains like VBE, Shatabdi etc where meals are prepaid for.

But there are only so many VBE and Shatabdi's as of today.

How does one deal with the problem in the remaining trains?

I would rather we fix short distance travel gaps first before trying to connect Kanyakumar and Jammu with HSRL.

It is absurd when one has to take a flight to Hyd, Chennai, Cochin, Tvm from Bangalore. These should've been connected with fast railway trains in the past decade.

We plan in increments and band aid like fixes. My gripe is about the absence of long term planning, vision and lacking a permanent solution.

VBE at 70-80 kmph won't cut ice in its current avatar. Hope some good comes out of it in the next 5 years or it will be a huge disappointment no matter how much money it makes for the railways.

If regional connectivity is filled with affordable high speed railways, it will free up aviation assets to service other regions.

It takes 10-12 hours by bus from Delhi to Dharamshala... one and a half hours by flight and there are barely two flights a day which cost quite a bomb. Wonder what 10-15 flights would do for local tourism and the aviation sector?

Last edited:

another_armchair

Country flag
Those Shatabdhi trains are not really bullet trains. They were really the poor man's version. For starters, the coaches were not designed to go higher than 99 kmph so there was really a limit to how fast the trains could go. If you want a real bullet train, you gotta overhaul the entire thing. That is where the VBE comes in. They overhauled the entire thing to allow the train to go faster.
Who wants bullet trains?

A simple HSR like VBE with average speeds of 120-140 will do. VBE at 70-80kmph won't cut ice. Its not very different from the existing LHB based Shatabdis.

You still have TC's catching dozens of people traveling ticketless. Lets not be so detached from the reality.

China still has its 'budget friendly' passenger trains with people crammed into coaches, some squatting on the floor, some standing... usually witnessed during the Chinese New Year when the great migration from city to villages happen.

omaebakabaka

Question of discriminatory pricing does not arise in trains like VBE, Shatabdi etc where meals are prepaid for.

But there are only so many VBE and Shatabdi's as of today.

How does one deal with the problem in the remaining trains?

I would rather we fix short distance travel gaps first before trying to connect Kanyakumar with Jammu with HSRL.

It is absurd when one has to take a flight to Hyd, Chennai, Cochin, Tvm from Bangalore. These should've been connected with fast railway trains in the past decade.

We plan in increments and band aid like fixes. My gripe is about the absence of long term planning, vision and lacking a permanent solution.

VBE at 70-80 kmph won't cut ice in its current avatar. Hope some good comes out of it in the next 5 years or it will be a huge disappointment no matter how much money it makes for the railways.

If regional connectivity is filled with affordable high speed railways, it will free up aviation assets to service other regions.

It takes 10-12 hours by bus from Delhi to Dharamshala... one and a half hours by flight and there are barely two flights a day which cost quite a bomb. Wonder what 10-15 flights would do for local tourism and the aviation sector?
Primary reasons are multifold, lack of grand vision being the top most but with economy reaching 5T mark, it is inevitable we bring changes to get the supply chains clustered together like China and have seperate lines for freight. Freight is part of reason for slow trains, other being bridges, foundation, and so on. Generally highspeed is only on certain sections and not full length between two points in India. Land acquisition is also a problem that requires political risk.....bullet trains are one way to resolve between high density metro cities. People should also be civilized to respect public property and keep it clean

another_armchair

Country flag
Primary reasons are multifold, lack of grand vision being the top most but with economy reaching 5T mark, it is inevitable we bring changes to get the supply chains clustered together like China and have seperate lines for freight. Freight is part of reason for slow trains, other being bridges, foundation, and so on. Generally highspeed is only on certain sections and not full length between two points in India. Land acquisition is also a problem that requires political risk.....bullet trains are one way to resolve between high density metro cities. People should also be civilized to respect public property and keep it clean
The idea of DFC's took root during ABV's tenure but it took 15 years to actually frame a solid actionable policy speaks for itself.

Few realize what we lost during 10 years of UPA.

The reason for my urgency is if the black pilled voter votes NOTA or LOTA, then its curtains for sure.

My only reasoning is bullet train infra is prohibitively expensive. We can upgrade the existing infrastructure for less and run VBE and its derivatives at 120 kmph while keeping the fare still within the reach of the common man ensuring the trains run packed and are viable too.

omaebakabaka

This is quite so in countries but in India being so dense, this connectivity will spawn entirely new economic growth areas and reduce airports crowding and so on.....only high density routes will see this first but with foreign investment this can be done and should be done. A 1000 to 1200km ride should not require sleeper in future like Japan. I agree, we need to improve speed on existing network and plan for freight lines between industrial corridors with minimal sharing with passenger lines.....Only in last 8 to 10 years railway is getting some motivation to upgrade

Concard

Country flag
The idea of DFC's took root during ABV's tenure but it took 15 years to actually frame a solid actionable policy speaks for itself.

Few realize what we lost during 10 years of UPA.

The reason for my urgency is if the black pilled voter votes NOTA or LOTA, then its curtains for sure.

My only reasoning is bullet train infra is prohibitively expensive. We can upgrade the existing infrastructure for less and run VBE and its derivatives at 120 kmph while keeping the fare still within the reach of the common man ensuring the trains run packed and are viable too.
Just for your info, we are not going to be running bullet trains between any Tier 2 cities unless people have the purchasing power parity to afford it. All the high speed rail routes planned will be between Tier 1 cities where there is good number of upper middle class and passenger carrying capacity.

Your argument reminds me of a moron from Karnataka who was India's PM for 8 months. That guy was fighting tooth and nail against the construction of Bangalore Metro. He wanted mono rail because costs are lower. That asshole wanted IT companies to setup operations only on the condition that they recruit local Kannada people regardless of their educational qualifications. His retarded son who looks like a Pig was briefly CM of Karnataka with BJP's support, put obstacles in metro construction which delayed the Bangalore metro for a considerable time.

Don't take it as I am insulting you, I just hate those bastards I am describing in my comment. I don't even like to take their name. I actually agree with your point and even said the same yesterday that VBE is cheap and IR can make good profits. My point is let's have VBE run and improve their speed and efficiency while at the same time let's introduce HSR on certain routes where there is lot of travel and passenger traffic.

assassin162

Country flag
This is quite so in countries but in India being so dense, this connectivity will spawn entirely new economic growth areas and reduce airports crowding and so on.....only high density routes will see this first but with foreign investment this can be done and should be done. A 1000 to 1200km ride should not require sleeper in future like Japan. I agree, we need to improve speed on existing network and plan for freight lines between industrial corridors with minimal sharing with passenger lines.....Only in last 8 to 10 years railway is getting some motivation to upgrade
Now let's see the average speed of Bullet trains. So there will be two versions, one will complete the Mumbai to Ahmedabad 482 km in 3 hours and other in probably 2 and a half hours. So average speed in both case comes out to 160km per hour in one scenario to 190 km per hour in another. VBE is giving 96 km per hour speed on one route. So we are not far behind.
Kavach, rail track fencing or rail track elevation in selected areas (Ashiwni Vaishnab has talked about this), continuous upgradation of VBE trainsets to allow further improvement in peak speed, debottlenecking routes, limiting sharp turns will mean we will achieve the 160km per hour top speed in less than 10 years. This also wont be cheap as some of us may think, but total public private and loan based investments in our railway will be more than 40-50 lakh crores is what I can say and what I believe should happen.

We are entering our golden phase.

omaebakabaka

Now let's see the average speed of Bullet trains. So there will be two versions, one will complete the Mumbai to Ahmedabad 482 km in 3 hours and other in probably 2 and a half hours. So average speed in both case comes out to 160km per hour in one scenario to 190 km per hour in another. VBE is giving 96 km per hour speed on one route. So we are not far behind.
Kavach, rail track fencing or rail track elevation in selected areas (Ashiwni Vaishnab has talked about this), continuous upgradation of VBE trainsets to allow further improvement in peak speed, debottlenecking routes, limiting sharp turns will mean we will achieve the 160km per hour top speed in less than 10 years. This also wont be cheap as some of us may think, but total public private and loan based investments in our railway will be more than 40-50 lakh crores is what I can say and what I believe should happen.

We are entering our golden phase.
It is certainly a speed class system based on density, economic value in connecting a route and so on.....existing rail infra should be upgraded to support upto 150 km but this will only happen if freight gets its own in major corridors otherwise signaling and timing would limit speeds only to certain sections.
Speeds reach 300 to 320 in China and Japan for the most part of the route....this should be the case between major trunk lines with new infra and heavy investments taking out need for sleeper class and night travel for anything under 7 to 8 hour trip leaving the nights for maintenance. Most bullet trains stop at 1 am or so. This will jump start secondary economic growth and good side effects to reduce congestion and spawn other high tech sectors

omaebakabaka

omaebakabaka

Japanese are providing financing so its expected that some contracts will go to their companies
Besides I am just thinking which other player can compete with Shinkansen as only Euro, Japanese and Chinese with the later being big players in the market. Bombardier does not play in that space and we should not invite them being canadian under that hermaphrodite anti Hindu turd. I am assuming Chinese were shown the door early on?

Concard

Country flag
If Chinese are excluded then mostly Kawasaki is the only player and I really don't see Alstom or Spanish one matching the Japanese level.
LOL. Why would you expect Indians to allow Chinese to bid to supply HSR when the funding is provided by Japan? Chinese are building a HSR in Indonesia. Guess how much Chinese are charging Indonesians? In order to connect Jakarta and Bandung they have proposed a HSR. The distance is close to 150km. And the Chinese are charging $8 billion. And now the recent news is that the project has cost overruns.

For 150km they are charging $8 billion. For 500km from Mumbai to Ahmedabad Japanese are charging close to $15 billion. Look at the cost difference. We have hit a jackpot with Japanese HSR deal I tell you. And Japanese I believe will be more than happy to be generous if we are going to go with Shinkasen in future for other HSR routes. And we should not consider Europeans offer for HSR as well given their attitude towards India. It is believed some train sets will be assembled in India for our first HSR project. In future most likely our workload will be high.

omaebakabaka

LOL. Why would you expect Indians to allow Chinese to bid to supply HSR when the funding is provided by Japan? Chinese are building a HSR in Indonesia. Guess how much Chinese are charging Indonesians? In order to connect Jakarta and Bandung they have proposed a HSR. The distance is close to 150km. And the Chinese are charging $8 billion. And now the recent news is that the project has cost overruns.

For 150km they are charging $8 billion. For 500km from Mumbai to Ahmedabad Japanese are charging close to $15 billion. Look at the cost difference. We have hit a jackpot with Japanese HSR deal I tell you. And Japanese I believe will be more than happy to be generous if we are going to go with Shinkasen in future for other HSR routes. And we should not consider Europeans offer for HSR as well given their attitude towards India. It is believed some train sets will be assembled in India for our first HSR project. In future most likely our workload will be high.
They were in the race till the Galwan incidents and then GOI started excluding them from not just HSR but also other sectors like 5G and so on, I was just mentioning about deployed HSR countries that are capable of end to end projects in this space including trains. Only Japanese HSR overseas was in Taiwan to limited success but thats more because of market dynamics than product itself and Taiwanese systems if mostly Japanese in terms of standards. China has lot of initiatives but none delivered to anyone outside China yet unless I am wrong. Japanese did the HSR in China initially unless I am wrong but its all Chinese homegrown now.

Last edited:

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag

To be fair, if I was japnese .
I would have included the provision to use only japnese rolling stock , anything else and the funding stops .
I dont know why are they being overtly generous here , time will tell.

Ladaku vimaan

Country flag

i remember japan also competing for that project in indonesia , but china probably bribed indonesian politicians and showed them some big dreams and fooled them in the end like they do with porkistan

in our bullet train project , indian companies like L&T and tata are building the tracks , in indonesia its all done by chinese companies in some sort of consortium , and they keep doing scams like this - https://voi.id/en/economy/112201/vi...ecause-contractors-violated-construction-sops , even the japanese shinkansen train set is much superior to the chinese one

its just that stupid udhav tried to derail the project by creating problems in land acquisition in maharashtra but that has been sorted out now and the project has picked up pace

Concard

Country flag
They were in the race till the Galwan incidents and then GOI started excluding them from not just HSR but also other sectors like 5G and so on, I was just mentioning about deployed HSR countries that are capable of end to end projects in this space including trains. Only Japanese HSR overseas was in Taiwan to limited success but thats more because of market dynamics than product itself and Taiwanese systems if mostly Japanese in terms of standards. China has lot of initiatives but none delivered to anyone outside China yet unless I am wrong. Japanese did the HSR in China initially unless I am wrong but its all Chinese homegrown now.
Japanese to this day regret the fact that their HSR technology ended up in the hands of the Chinese.

Today Chinese are competing with Japanese for the export of HSR to other countries. In fact, in Indonesia Chinese outbid Japanese to win the contract to build HSR. This has caused Japanese lot of heart burn. Like as you said Taiwan was a mixed success for Japanese HSR and they were very hopeful of winning the contract in Indonesia until the Chinese showed up. This is the reason I believe they are going to double down on India which definitely has a huge market for HSR in the coming years as the economy grows. I guess this is the reason they are going to be generous because we are going to be a huge market for them.

omaebakabaka

Japanese to this day regret the fact that their HSR technology ended up in the hands of the Chinese.

Today Chinese are competing with Japanese for the export of HSR to other countries. In fact, in Indonesia Chinese outbid Japanese to win the contract to build HSR. This has caused Japanese lot of heart burn. Like as you said Taiwan was a mixed success for Japanese HSR and they were very hopeful of winning the contract in Indonesia until the Chinese showed up. This is the reason I believe they are going to double down on India which definitely has a huge market for HSR in the coming years as the economy grows. I guess this is the reason they are going to be generous because we are going to be a huge market for them.
Why blame chinese, thats how anything evolves in the world by tech democratization otherwise progress will die with one person only. We are looking for the same when it comes to aircraft engines....Magic is continuous evolution and overall execution and upkeep. I traveled both Japanese and Chinese HSR, trains wise both are about same but overall experience in Japan is outstanding vs China (people culture mostly), Chinese passengers are more interactive but loud and talk to you as a tourist. Japanese mostly keep to themselves, eitherway both are safe and amazing and soon we get to experience in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles