Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

blackleaf

Country flag
I did some reading on this, and this is what i found out.

The Varunastra Heavyweight torpedo equipped on Indian warships has a range of 40 kms with a warhead of 250 kgs. Its comparable to the range and power of torpedoes that can be launched from enemy submarines. Thus, it creates a major deterrent for any enemy submarine to come close enough to target the Indian Warships.
The RBU6000 acts as a CIWS for enemy submarines with ranges as close as 1.5 to 5 kms. it can target enemy submarines as deep as 1 kms under the ocean and it can also be used to intercept incoming torpedoes or take on enemy divers.

Coming to Western warships, they carry Light weight torpedoes whose range varies from 10 kms to 25 kms depending on the torpedo model. Lower warhead as well.
The VL ASROC gives it some boost, that as a range of 22 kms+ torpedo range of 10 kms, giving it an effective range of about 32 kms.

This way, they keep most of their focus on the Air defense capabilities, allowing more VLS for SAMs. Meanwhile the Indian warships give a great amount of importance to ASW capabilities stocking the ships with bigger and heavier ASW weapons, looking at its adversaries.

Its the same concept as BrahMos. A bigger and heavier weapon that takes up more space and weight, but much more capable than the sorts of a Lighter Harpoon missile.
That makes some sense. Maybe we are just keeping them until we have universal VLS cells with ASROC?

VL-ASROC has a big advantage in that it is much faster than a heavy weight torpedoes and this much more likely to kill a submarine.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Any update on the Rim 116 analog we were developing?

gutenmorgen

Country flag
That makes some sense. Maybe we are just keeping them until we have universal VLS cells with ASROC?

VL-ASROC has a big advantage in that it is much faster than a heavy weight torpedoes and this much more likely to kill a submarine.
Some version of SMART is more likely. Can be launched from the Bramhos cells.

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 231031

Rampage on board Mig-29K.
Interesting part of this is it’s primarily for land targets and has little optimisation for maritime targets so it confirms the fighters of the IN are not merely for fleet AD but can/will have a utility against onshore targets. This is a big change from the Harrier days
This was always logical the complete vagueness in timelines and lack of urgency displayed is disturbing, doesn’t sound like any fruits of that will come this side of 2030, it’s also the first time a CNS has ever mentioned P76 publicly. They’ll likely push P75I before P76 is looked at seriously

blackleaf

Country flag
This was always logical the complete vagueness in timelines and lack of urgency displayed is disturbing, doesn’t sound like any fruits of that will come this side of 2030, it’s also the first time a CNS has ever mentioned P76 publicly. They’ll likely push P75I before P76 is looked at seriously
We should have just went for 6 enlarged Kalvari-class with Li-ion batteries and DRD0 AIP. Apparently the French are supposed to have developed their own Li-ion battery system so we could have gotten help from them. Then P76 could be a follow on indeginous sub based on the Kalvari-class with VLS and improvements. That is how the South Koreans did it with their Type 209 submarines.

I still don't understand what tech they want from the P75I program. Maybe they just are not confident enough in the DRDO AIP and want German PEM fuel cell technology? Maybe Germans have some quieting technology for SSKs that are much superior to the French?

Blademaster

We should have just went for 6 enlarged Kalvari-class with Li-ion batteries and DRD0 AIP. Apparently the French are supposed to have developed their own Li-ion battery system so we could have gotten help from them. Then P76 could be a follow on indeginous sub based on the Kalvari-class with VLS and improvements. That is how the South Koreans did it with their Type 209 submarines.

I still don't understand what tech they want from the P75I program. Maybe they just are not confident enough in the DRDO AIP and want German PEM fuel cell technology? Maybe Germans have some quieting technology for SSKs that are much superior to the French?
i think it’s a case of the French trying to scalp us Indians and we Indians took offense to that.

hurrians

Country flag
I wonder what's the significance behind naming two Naval ships after 2 small towns in coastal Karnataka.
There is a naming convention for ships , all Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft (ASW SWC) are named after islands.

hurrians

Country flag
Then maybe they are named after places they are named to protect (draft 2.7 m) ,designed to undertake ASW duties – including subsurface surveillance in littoral waters.

And maybe few places are small town but they are still near littoral waters anyway good names mulki, mahe,androth etc.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
It's a routine part of design reviews. Why are you disappointed?
I'd rather they kept that stealthy cone. Considering the timeframe it'd be introduced.
Perhaps that has to do with being able to incorporate the kind of radar you want and the shape of the cone must correspond with it.
The stealthy cone had to have been designed in consideration of the possible radar options. Unless they are now looking at greater degree of panel steerability.

Ugra Bhairav

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Good!!!!! 26 Air Crafts amounts Roughly $6.02 Billion.

Or Say Roughly $231.70 Million per Air Crafts.

Or say Rs 1,923 Crore per Air Craft.

Now an math exercise :

If Rafael is selected for MMRCA and contract is for 114 Air Craft what will be the price ????

So by Rough Estimates $231.70 x 114 = $26.41 Billion

Do India have this much Money ?????

But, the Irony is India Dont have $2.00 Billion to fund Kaveri.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles