Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

omaebakabaka

The quality of construction is all good. When you have a world beating commercial ship building industry, it tricked down to military building as well. India has less than 0.5% of world commercial ship building orders. Our shipyards rely only on military contracts. So what’s the need to build something in 2 years?

Until unless we invest in technology that can leap current ship building technology or heavily subsidize this sector to get orders we ain’t moving forward on thjs
Agreed, their quality is probably on par in practical sense except possibly PLAF....experience in using them and actually fighting someone efficiently is not proven. Going by Korea and Vietnam, they lost a lot of men.

abingdonboy

Country flag
This is a bit of a unfair comparison imo considering all other than the 17As have had series production up and running for a while. It’ll be interesting to track the timelines for 4-6 hulls of the 17A run, I imagine they’ll come at least 12 months faster than the first 1-2 hulls and I imagine they’ll be comparable to what the European yards can make for similar spec boats.

the Chinese are obviously in another league because of their industrial might and scale

abingdonboy

Country flag

So no discussion till 2025 😑
RFP 2024-5, orders maybe 2028, delivery maybe 2035-2040s for 4+4 ships

India is not a serious country at all.

in 2035 the Indian economy will be >$12 trillion and the Indian services are buying things as if they are Greece.

I really wonder where all the budgets are expected to go post 2030, all 3 services when outlining their post 2030 plans seem to be severely underestimating the funds they’ll have, even at a conservative estimate the Indian defence budget will be >$200bn annually by the mid 2030s, IAF still can’t outline how they’ll get above 35 fighter squadrons by then and the IN is still treating these PCSs are luxuries

Blademaster

RFP 2024-5, orders maybe 2028, delivery maybe 2035-2040s for 4+4 ships

India is not a serious country at all.

in 2035 the Indian economy will be >$12 trillion and the Indian services are buying things as if they are Greece.

I really wonder where all the budgets are expected to go post 2030, all 3 services when outlining their post 2030 plans seem to be severely underestimating the funds they’ll have, even at a conservative estimate the Indian defence budget will be >$200bn annually by the mid 2030s, IAF still can’t outline how they’ll get above 35 fighter squadrons by then and the IN is still treating these PCSs are luxuries
They have to take stock of and hedge against rising inflation and payroll costs.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Tomorrow we will be laying the keel of the "stitched ship"!! The idea is to recreate a 4th century AD Indian merchant ship and sail it on ancient routes from Kalinga to SE Asia. Being done by Indian navy & Culture Ministry. Here is the preview :

1694456409351.png

gslv markIII

Country flag
Tomorrow we will be laying the keel of the "stitched ship"!! The idea is to recreate a 4th century AD Indian merchant ship and sail it on ancient routes from Kalinga to SE Asia. Being done by Indian navy & Culture Ministry. Here is the preview :

View attachment 222119

Same technique as Sewn boats? That technique is still being practiced, even in India.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Should IN have Pakistan specific versions of Car Nicobar class patrol vessels, with lesser endurance but heavier armament? Something like the Azmat class of Pakistani navy?

This could be used to launch operation trident type attacks on Pakistan without putting our much more expensive Frigates and destroyers at risk, not to mention lesser sailor lives too.

We don't seem to have a good counter for Azmat class currently

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Should IN have Pakistan specific versions of Car Nicobar class patrol vessels, with lesser endurance but heavier armament? Something like the Azmat class of Pakistani navy?

This could be used to launch operation trident type attacks on Pakistan without putting our much more expensive Frigates and destroyers at risk, not to mention lesser sailor lives too.

We don't seem to have a good counter for Azmat class currently
NGMV is for that purpose I think 🤔

Defcon 1

Country flag
NGMV is for that purpose I think 🤔
NGMV is not comparable. Its a 2800 tonne vessel, basically a corvette, and is geared towards anti air rather than anti surface operations. It looks more like a defensive fleet air defence ship rather than a missile boat for offensive operations.

Azmat class and Car Nicobar class are 500 tonne vessels. We need something in this category.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
NGMV is not comparable. Its a 2800 tonne vessel, basically a corvette, and is geared towards anti air rather than anti surface operations. It looks more like a defensive fleet air defence ship rather than a missile boat for offensive operations.

Azmat class and Car Nicobar class are 500 tonne vessels. We need something in this category.
NGMV primary role is anti surface warfare. Azmat class I think don't have a Sam system, aren't stealthy as the visby class,don't have the numbers of Iranian boghammers and they plan to use it against a navy that can throw two CBGs into the equation.

Fatalis

Country flag

NGMV are designed for ASuW operations. They will also have the AAW with PDMS. They alone can take the whole PN surface fleet. This leaves other capital warships for CBG duty.

The only area where they might lack is ASW but if used in pair with Kamorta class then that issue will also get nullified.

Defcon 1

Country flag
NGMV are designed for ASuW operations. They will also have the AAW with PDMS. They alone can take the whole PN surface fleet. This leaves other capital warships for CBG duty.

The only area where they might lack is ASW but if used in pair with Kamorta class then that issue will also get nullified.
I understand these things. But you are assuming that we will have complete visibility on the locations of PN fleet.
My fear is that a small 500 tonne Azmat class vessel may sneak in close our shoreline and attack some important ship or ground installation with their missiles, similar to what we did during operation trident. Now with modern missiles, they can fire from 300 km and still hit something.

I don't think we have a way to counter this.

So we must have at least the capability to do this to pakistanis.

While our CBG is anchored off Karachi coast, a small ship to pay a visit to Gwadar port and deactivate it.

Fatalis

Country flag
I understand these things. But you are assuming that we will have complete visibility on the locations of PN fleet.
My fear is that a small 500 tonne Azmat class vessel may sneak in close our shoreline and attack some important ship or ground installation with their missiles, similar to what we did during operation trident. Now with modern missiles, they can fire from 300 km and still hit something.

I don't think we have a way to counter this.

So we must have at least the capability to do this to pakistanis.

While our CBG is anchored off Karachi coast, a small ship to pay a visit to Gwadar port and deactivate it.
We are procuring NGMMCB (LR) which will give a cover of minimum 450km. It can be more than that. With so many satellites and coastal radars along with top notch surveillance they would be thinking before planning any of such thing.

Blademaster

We are procuring NGMMCB (LR) which will give a cover of minimum 450km. It can be more than that. With so many satellites and coastal radars along with top notch surveillance they would be thinking before planning any of such thing.
Don't get too complacent and lazy. Be constantly vigilant and don't take anything for granted.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles