Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Fatalis

Country flag

Credits: marich01

Fatalis

Country flag
It has not been "approved", approval will come from DAC/CCS, MDL' CMD said "Navy is considering for eight numbers"

My latest article covering MDL' investor call

Updates on P-15B (delivery), NGD, P-17A (delivery), P-17B, NGC, P-75I, 3 additional scorpene, refit of 3rd 209 and indigenous submarine effort

Great article.

I apologise for posting the information from this website to all the naval threads without your permission.

standard snowball

Country flag
VL-SRSAM would serve as 2nd tier AD system onboard Indian Navy frontline warships and increase the VLS count on these vessels.
I am just waiting for the army/IAF version of the VLSRSAM to replace the ancient Akash SAM.

Also can't we just make a longer range VLSRSAM based on Astra mk2, so that there is no need to make a completely new air defence system like Akash NG

swapcv

Country flag
We've been down this road before, until and unless we're made aware or know what's down there below the deck in the adjacent spaces surrounding both the RBU-6000 magazine and VLS structure, any discussion of a refit of more VLS cells is moot. And there is also the need from a logistics point of view to have a single VLS system that can cater to missiles such as the VL-SRSAM to ER-SAM or LR-SAM, SMART and LR-LACM/Brahmos.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I am just waiting for the army/IAF version of the VLSRSAM to replace the ancient Akash SAM.

Also can't we just make a longer range VLSRSAM based on Astra mk2, so that there is no need to make a completely new air defence system like Akash NG
for IA and IAF, operational requirements determine whether a missile system needs to be vertical launch or not. if IA and IAF ask for a vertical launch SAM, it will be done.

current Akash SAM is going no where, especially after recent orders and indigenisation of seekers. new systems can come and compliment new operational requirements.

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
Great article.

I apologise for posting the information from this website to all the naval threads without your permission.
Thank you.

Most people (including me) don't mind our stuff being posted in forums, just link the article/source or mention it when you are quoting any material from the article/source.
The information is meant to be shared 👍

And there is also the need from a logistics point of view to have a single VLS system...
Three types of VLU/launchers won't stress the logistics as much as you think they would.

swapcv

Country flag
Three types of VLU/launchers won't stress the logistics as much as you think they would.
Doesn't hurt having an actual universal VLS though. And we have the necessary expertise to achieve the same, just needs time, money and a dollop of patience. I suspect this topic won't even be discussed a decade from now.

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
Doesn't hurt having an actual universal VLS though. And we have the necessary expertise to achieve the same, just needs time, money and a dollop of patience. I suspect this topic won't even be discussed a decade from now.
The supposed UVLS might be too big to replace existing cells on P-15A/B in any meaningful number.
And we do know about the space available beneath the foredeck of P-15B.

swapcv

Country flag
The supposed UVLS might be too big to replace existing cells on P-15A/B in any meaningful number.
And we do know about the space available beneath the foredeck of P-15B.
Could be somewhat controversial from a Force Posture pov but we could risk having a single Kolkata class go into a refit to see how many UVLS could be fitted without compromising on hull strength and seaworthiness. I suppose some ballasting and reinforcing would be needed though due to the difference in weight. Though before this there'd have to be a way to figure out how to install VL-SRSAM, SMART and Barak-8 canisters into the UVLS module.

swapcv

Country flag
Could be somewhat controversial from a Force Posture pov but we could risk having a single Kolkata class go into a refit to see how many UVLS could be fitted without compromising on hull strength and seaworthiness.
Should add, I totally forgot we have Anvesh just for this purpose. So yeah, I guess we can do the above on her instead.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
MRSAM is more than adequate to do the job. VL-SRSAM is required by other vessels which lack proper AD.

IMO, P-15A/B, P-17A will definitely get LRSAM in the future.
yes...VLSRAM should deployed in our corvette nd older + smaller frigate. VLSRAM cant engage ballistic missiles, but barak 8 engaged with russian Iskander ballistic missile in Armenia-azerbaizan war. good thing is barak 8 can launch from 500 meter minimum to 70-100 km maximum range. so it dont need VLSRAM. it can make two layer sam system in our destroyer nd frigate with upcoming LRSAM (150 km) or XRSAM (250 km) range.

Fatalis

Country flag
Someone mentioned that Kamorta class was seen carrying a VLS. Anyone having any pictures of the same?

swapcv

Country flag
Someone mentioned that Kamorta class was seen carrying a VLS. Anyone having any pictures of the same?
News to me. Sure he didn't confuse space reserved for VLS as being implied as carrying a VLS? Or did one of the class members go into refit recently?

Fatalis

Country flag

The war in Ukraine has caused further delays to the delivery of two Krivak or Talwar-class stealth frigates under construction for the Indian Navy in Russia. They are now expected to be delivered by May and October 2024 respectively, according to Alexey Rakhmanov, Director-General of the United Shipbuilding Corporation of Russia.

New threads

Articles