Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Jimih

Country flag
Frankly speaking, living in India is becoming very difficult. The jobs have not expanded the way the population has. We have added over 450 million people in the past 20 years alone without creating many job opportunities resulting in a sheer and unfathomable level of competition for limited resources.
How job opportunities will be created when we ourselves are the consumers of our own propaganda? Latest been the example of a particular South Indian state which under pressure from Communist parties withdrawed the 12 hours/day work.

Our labour laws are so shit that no foreign companies wants to set their shops in our country with ease. And here we dream of becoming a global hub for "manufacturing".

Manufacturing is a longer time period work cycle process. But do political parties understand this, they only think about votebank politics. Not realising that these are the very opportunities for job creations.

another_armchair

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Jinnah taken a parsis daughter so the Wadias taken the jinnajs daughter. The circle got complete.
Billay tu economy thread ka page-3 reporter hai re. Sab khabar rakhta hai. Youtube shorts bana sab ke.. will be a fun collection.

Physx32

Country flag
India simply doesn't make anything (except medicines) that can be exported to China. So, you can't increase exports to China. Neither can you stop electronic imports from China.

So, the short term solution would be to build massive textile factories and target $100B in exports to west. Long term solutions are the PLI schemes.

Any other solutions?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
India simply doesn't make anything (except medicines) that can be exported to China. So, you can't increase exports to China. Neither can you stop electronic imports from China.

So, the short term solution would be to build massive textile factories and target $100B in exports to west. Long term solutions are the PLI schemes.

Any other solutions?
Making 2 wheeler transition to EVs through schemes, they guzzle up majority of the oil we import.

jadoogar

Country flag
1. Expressways constitute a negligible part of India's total road network. When a random dude suddenly cuts you at 100+km/hr, will the "AI" be able to control the car? Atleast an experienced driver won't panic.
2. Indian driving discipline is extremely poor and unsafe. I've seen several accidents on highway which could've been avoided if they followed basic rules. This is a serious issue, no need to downplay it. You've to drive here to actually know this.
3. Autonomous driving will cause numerous car and civilian accidents at the very beginning. Even ADAS on cars is unusable in India (except on empty roads).

There's no scope of autonomous vehicles in the foreseeable future, here. A few countries like China are beta testing autonomous cars (at slow speeds outside peak hours), but then look at their infrastructure:

Maybe, we can develop AI tech for our railways? I don't know if it'll be useful but it can be tested extensively on freight trains.
Well -
(1) - I suspect that most injuries and fatalities are on highway driving where speeds are high. Though the software responds much faster than a human could. You could google autonomous safety report at tesla.com to get real world numbers. The car has multiple cameras with more visibility than just a human driver. It is also very effective in very low light conditions. Musk says that a "few photons" (an exaggeration I understand) is sufficient to identify objects. Tesla also saves several milliseconds by now skipping the image processing step that cameras typically go through and feeds the camera feed directly into the driving software.
(2) साइकिल, मोटर, स्कूटर - सब हिंदुस्तान में ही चलना सीखा है :) - though point taken - unlikely that software could handle city driving in India
(3) - the vehicle does not have to fully autonomous (level 3+ as they call it). Just keep the lane, avoid collisions, mainly on highway driving

Physx32

Country flag
Post Galwan import increase deserves a chefs kiss.
What else will you do? India's digital growth (everything from UPI to Zomato and different fintec startups) is driven by the availability of
affordable smartphones. You stop cheap electronic imports from China and Digital India initiatives will see setbacks. Instead we should try to export more products to the west, that will help balance the deficit with China.
What is the average core engineering salary in India I have heard PSU's paying well
Around 16-17 lpa for maharatna PSUs (if recruited at E1 level). But there are several benefits (like money for smartphones, laptops, white goods, briefcase, spectacles, almost unlimited money for healthcare and medicines, etc.) which are not included in ctc.

RedPhantom

Country flag
I recently bought a 9V battery from Eveready, and surprise, it was made in China. It was made there and imported to their Kolkata office. Same goes for most things in my household, but most of the "Made in China" things are surprisingly smaller items which can be easily made here. The bigger items like TV's, phones, fans, refrigerators,etc are all made in India. I'm not sure how much there smaller items like toys and general electronics account for the trade deficit, but it certainly is an easy leak for the government to fix.

But the government is too far sighted and only goes for bigger things like semiconductors and display fabrications. I'm not saying we shouldn't go for those, but we have to cover everything, large and small. Baning those fly-by night kit assemblers of EV scooters and these small electronics importers is the only way to stop them, nobody is going to build them here when importing is cheaper, no matter the incentives.

jai jaganath

Country flag
I recently bought a 9V battery from Eveready, and surprise, it was made in China. It was made there and imported to their Kolkata office. Same goes for most things in my household, but most of the "Made in China" things are surprisingly smaller items which can be easily made here. The bigger items like TV's, phones, fans, refrigerators,etc are all made in India. I'm not sure how much there smaller items like toys and general electronics account for the trade deficit, but it certainly is an easy leak for the government to fix.

But the government is too far sighted and only goes for bigger things like semiconductors and display fabrications. I'm not saying we shouldn't go for those, but we have to cover everything, large and small. Baning those fly-by night kit assemblers of EV scooters and these small electronics importers is the only way to stop them, nobody is going to build them here when importing is cheaper, no matter the incentives.
Those TV phones fans refrigerators etc are basically assembled from Chinese parts

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
What else will you do? India's digital growth (everything from UPI to Zomato and different fintec startups) is driven by the availability of
affordable smartphones. You stop cheap electronic imports from China and Digital India initiatives will see setbacks. Instead we should try to export more products to the west, that will help balance the deficit with China.

Around 16-17 lpa for maharatna PSUs (if recruited at E1 level). But there are several benefits (like money for smartphones, laptops, white goods, briefcase, spectacles, almost unlimited money for healthcare and medicines, etc.) which are not included in ctc.
I am highlighting the absolutely weak position India is in. We are extremely vulnerable to China, the US, the Middle East and Russia. Each of these players can screw India over in their own way while we have no tools to screw them back. 3.7 trillion GDP and 770 billion exports have made us no more secure internationally than we were 20 years ago. We are richer now, while remaining just as vulnerable. Any serious country ensures that it has leverage when entering a partnership, and makes emergency plans when things go wrong vis a vis a major player.

The Indian state and industry have been completely incapable of rising up to this challenge.. A country attacks us and kills our soldiers, and we are unable to even stop the GROWTH of imports from that country, forget about decreasing imports. This is not about the government or businessmen alone. Tomorrow if the Chinese declare war for real, trying to take Sikkim and Arunachal, will we continue to increase imports from them for digital India and smartphones? I genuinely don't know.

India is richer today than it was 20 years ago, but it is no more powerful and no less vulnerable. We are dependent for energy, defence, civilian technology, forex and chemical fertilizers. Every aspect of modern life in India depends on these being available from abroad. Any one of the major players that provide each of these can completely wreck the Indian economy if push comes to shove, with minimal consequences for themselves. Puny Qatar could make India's knees buckle, with Venkiah Naidu pathetically snivelling and bending to the Qataris during the Nupur Sharma episode, while their Minister looked down on him with open disgust, all on camera.

Last edited:

Cheran

Country flag

Those TV phones fans refrigerators etc are basically assembled from Chinese parts
Is it feasible for industrialists to have lines for production of items like USB toys, binoculars, microscopes, electronic parts for TVs/refrigerators etc etc in a massive way only for local consumption? Is the local market big enough? Unless there is scope for exports of these items to richer counters (EU/US etc), is this even possible?

karn

Country flag
I am highlighting the absolutely weak position India is in. We are extremely vulnerable to China, the US, the Middle East and Russia. Each of these players can screw India over in their own way while we have no tools to screw them back. 3.7 trillion GDP and 770 billion exports have made us no more secure internationally than we were 20 years ago. We are richer now, while remaining just as vulnerable. Any serious country ensures that it has leverage when entering a partnership, and makes emergency plans when things go wrong vis a vis a major player.

The Indian state and industry have been completely incapable of rising up to this challenge.. A country attacks us and kills our soldiers, and we are unable to even stop the GROWTH of imports from that country, forget about decreasing imports. This is not about the government or businessmen alone. Tomorrow if the Chinese declare war for real, trying to take Sikkim and Arunachal, will we continue to increase imports from them for digital India and smartphones? I genuinely don't know.

India is richer today than it was 20 years ago, but it is no more powerful and no less vulnerable. We are dependent for energy, defence, civilian technology and forex. Every aspect of modern life in India depends on these being available from abroad. Any one of the major players that provide each of these can completely wreck the Indian economy if push comes to shove, with minimal consequences for themselves. Puny Qatar could make India's knees buckle, with Venkiah Naidu pathetically snivelling and bending to the Qataris during the Nupur Sharma episode, while their Minister looked down on him with open disgust, all on camera.
We will be begging SEA Japan and worst Korea for alternatives like the euros are begging OPEC for energy now .
But to your point these things take time
I'd say we got food security yesterday.. getting Pharma and fertilizer security today and will get energy security tomorrow.. with a good balance of trade on electronics the day after that .. if you want an example of what this trajectory would take a look like at the auto industry.

Ps I'll preempt the point on APIs for Pharma.. We export a lot of APIs to the extent that there is a report by uncle as to the "threat" of their dependence on us .. the specific shortage we face is penicillin ..and even that has factories getting set up to reduce dependency

iBaaz

Country flag
Is it feasible for industrialists to have lines for production of items like USB toys, binoculars, microscopes, electronic parts for TVs/refrigerators etc etc in a massive way only for local consumption? Is the local market big enough? Unless there is scope for exports of these items to richer counters (EU/US etc), is this even possible?
Industrialists don't have a magic wand that they should be the answer to every problem under the sun.
The relatively simpler items should ideally be done by MSMEs.

iBaaz

Country flag
Not completely true, the Supply chain is building up as we speak.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles