Indian Army wants futuristic vehicle for its Armoured corps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Some of them are so pathetic that they abuse DGMF in every sentence as if they do not know anything else. That perhaps has become a fashion in DFI. Very few serving member ever enjoy DFI due to this and ganging up attitude of the DRDO / DPSU / OFB fellows and that is clearly lack of participation from their sides besides many other reasons.
Thats because the opposite side is forbidden from speaking to the public forums. Basically, these people are fighting an armless opponent.

That said, you dint answer why Arjun was rejected when it was superior to T90 in 1998. It was the CAG report after all?

pmaitra

We have discussed T-90, its problems in the heat, and fitting of AC onto the T-90, in this thread. I thing this cross-post is relevant, and gives an insight into the real dangers faced by our soldiers.
JAISALMER: A youth died after completing a five-kilometre run for recruitment in BSF at Sriganganagar sector headquarters on Thursday. The cause of death is believed to be heatstroke. The incident has put a question mark over the timing of recruitment tests by paramilitary forces in the peak summer months of May and June.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Hahah that RFI is not gonna move an Inch .... Parrikar gonna slam that B**ch back to where it came from .
And we have to cut off Star wars subscription from all the morons @ IA
Ah! here comes another wise man with his usual oneliner ..... and that too with vicious insinuations...

Not in inch ? It has already moved 32 pages on DFI ...:laugh:

Cut Star war subscription and populate first world War movies is an apt suggestion ... that is what you have kept the Armed forces to.... :scared2:

Khagesh

@Bhadra, your problem is that you identify yourself with the DGMF office.

I don't.

DGMF for me is just a representative of a situation. It is obvious the successive DGMFs are not working alone. They too are under instructions.

And as I have said most committed people get sorted out early on. When they either fail to develop instincts and leave after having done a good job (professionally & technically) or they develop an abiding opposition to this entrenched culture that seeks favours, darbari culture, ambassadorship, PSU Directorships. These later people develop into the real Bhadra and play the same games right back against these Abhadra suckers of foreigners.

We cannot hit out at the whole Army. That would be a Kejriwal act a foul. I also do not want to speak out against individuals. Hence the choice of the Directorate which BTW is actually a ....ing Committee and not a Directorate.

@Mad Indian, can anybody keep you out from butting in? Please stop playing the victim. You don't know when this will become a habit.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Ah! here comes another wise man with his usual oneliner ..... and that too with vicious insinuations...

Cut Star war subscription and populate first world War movies is an apt suggestion ... that is what you have kept the Armed forces to.... :scared2:
what do you care about sir.
I am just DRDO employee posting from the office :lol:

sob

Mod
Country flag
The very fact that DRDO has not leaked it's displeasure of the RFI in the media, speaks volumes in itself.

Have not heard from journalists, supposedly close to DRDO speak about the RFI.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@Mad Indian, can anybody keep you out from butting in? Please stop playing the victim. You don't know when this will become a habit
Can you stop your stupid replies to me? You reply like the half clowns here who talk without understanding. I was not talking about myself being a victim, but rather the armed forces. What I said is true- army is forbidden to talk to public regarding their choices including their weaponry and so when DRDO accuses them of wrong doing they can't even defend their position legally. That's why what I said you guys are fighting an armless opponent. Now don't reply to this post with another useless nonsense. Would be much appreciated.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The very fact that DRDO has not leaked it's displeasure of the RFI in the media, speaks volumes in itself.

Have not heard from journalists, supposedly close to DRDO speak about the RFI.
Meaning you are saying this RFI is bad or right? Are saying this DRDO not responding means that dgmf is wrong? Pls be clearer in your position

sob

Mod
Country flag
Meaning you are saying this RFI is bad or right? Are saying this DRDO not responding means that dgmf is wrong? Pls be clearer in your position
It means that DRDO has no problems with the RFI.
And my position is very clear, fanboys have been jumping up and down while the experts are the ones working on it.

Blood+

Country flag
Thats true Private companies do not have capability to manufacture tank Only DRDO Has. We can only hope form DRDO
It's the other way round actually.DRDO can not produce anything on a commercial scale,simply because they were never meant to be!!It's the job of the production houses,DRDO on the other hand is charged strictly with R&D only.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I can not say I agree or disagree with Gen Shankar Roychaudhary but what the RFI suggests is otherwise by using the word " Medium" .

Heavy armour and protection as the supreme factor became prime requirement where armour / tanks were not employed in their classical roles but for FIBUA and close encounter battles such as in Iraq and Afghanistan or Ukrain. Germans have always gone for heavy - heavy is beautiful right from their Tiger days. Israelis always went for a balanced tank.

In recent times, I think, Indian Army initially got influenced by this debate of heavy versus medium tank and three crew versus four crew tanks and therefore might have accepted heavy Arjun primarily for less mobile roles and as an adjunct.

OK whatever.

But tell me what Indian Army would do with Tanks ? Fight in the streets of Lahore or Amritsar?

Provided they reach there? To reach there they need mobility more than protection !

When Indian Army took out their T-72 tanks in Jaffna , three were blown off in the first instance itself. That was end of employment of Tanks in a built up area. Employment of Tanks in built up areas to quell local insurgencies, indulge into urban warfare , and even engage in close quarter battles over the objective, perhaps is not Indian Armour / Mechanised forces doctrine. ( though I am not privy to it) It would still not want their Tanks to be converted into Infantry tanks of the older days of Worl War II.

Indian army primarily would like to conduct swift and quick blitzkrieg mobile warfare based on manoeuvres and not indulge into firepower slug. Given the terrain and conditions obtained on our borders such bold employment of armour can only be undertaken when mobility is retained as the prime characteristics with adequate protection and good firepower. Is not that also the prime lesson from our history? Of course I am also not suggesting suicadal Rajput Cavalary Charges. But if the battles are envisaged for only four five days durations even that would become necessary.

As on today anti tank weaponry and Armour (protection) technology is almost evenly matched with tandem warheads, long penetrators, top attack munitions and smart munitions disabling any tank of any protection?. Protection so far has not won its battle.

Tanks are invariably going to take casualties whether they are light or heavy tanks particularly when two well equipped conventional armies such as those of India and Pakistan are pitted in battles.. the battles are very intense and fast and two sides are going to thow every thing on each other at the very go. In order to minimise those casualties, why cut down on mobility which equally serves as a factor to save casualties and adds to protection? When mobility becomes the essential factor of the doctrine , is such a thing as Arjun advisable ?

Hence in my view, mobility of mechanised forces must be the prime consideration.

It is not for nothing that Al Khalid is of only 46 tons which is going to be MBT of Pakistan ?
"I can not say I agree or disagree with Gen Shankar Roychaudhary but what the RFI suggests is otherwise by using the word " Medium" ."

he says that the low armor, unsafe ammo storage- turret cooking T series has failed in every enocunter with heavt armor , safe ammo storage western heavy MBTs each time.
There is no need for you to either agree or not. The truth is plain for all to see.

Where is the confusion about agreeing?

Doesn't Roy choudry count among the "uniforms" who are vehemently being defended by YOU?

Posting a few maps and claiming Arjun is not mobile has become your favorite pass time!!!!

T-90 also weighs close to 50 tons, compared to Arjun mk1's 57 tons. But these T-90s cant fight in desert and have very vulnerable auto loader-Ammo heaped on the tank floor arrangement , which is an invitation to disaster, i.e the ammo will cook up the tank even in the case of a seep through land mine explosion.

Any RPG hit from side lines which create just a small flash inside T-90 compartment will lead to ammo cook up and turret of the tank being blown off. You know it .IA know it. The whole world knows it.

Tekll me how do you suppose IA can save these ammo cook off ready T-90s and T-72s even from side ways RPG hit in any futre war?

But Arjun mk1 which had ammo stored in tubes in the wall arrangement with cap for each round completley separating Ammo from crew chamber will not have this problem of ammo cook off . Any sideays RPG hit will not completley destroy the tank.

Even if one or more crew members are immoblized the tank can still move and will be able to fight on and return the crew back to safety.

This doing away with dangerous autoloader -tank rounds lying on the floor , primitive T-90, T-72 scheme of things was the primary reason for Arjuns 57 ton weight in mk1.because it needed space all ove for extra crew, a compartment big enough to have proper ventilation to let crew function for extended periods in desert summer heat and safe ammo storage.

In mk2 IA went one step further!!! It wanted cannisterised ammo storage with blow off panels which direct the explosion of ammo outwards even if the ammo storage is hit directly,which led to a few more ton weight increase. The reason IA wanted this is , they wanted to completley eliminate the ammo cook off danger.

Now armata too has same arrangemen, and even with three men crew it weighs in 55 to 60 tojn range.

So Modern armies that are serious about fighting the tank wars of the future are accepting a min 55 tonto 60 ton , weight for their tank even for 3 men crew still with cumbersome auto loader.

leo is going to be modernized. Do you seriously think germans will redesign it below 50 tons with cumbersome auto loader arrangement?

So if IA standardizes on Sarvantra bridge laying equippment which can easily load 70 tons the so called logistic problem is over. Railways have no difficulty in transporting arjun, Infact the photos here show even russian t series tanks having their tracks protruding from trains. So all this over wieght -unable to deploy fast is meanignleess.

"Given the terrain and conditions obtained on our borders such bold employment of armour can only be undertaken when mobility is retained as the prime characteristics with adequate protection and good firepower. Is not that also the prime lesson from our history? Of course I am also not suggesting suicadal Rajput Cavalary Charges.But if the battles are envisaged for only four five days durations even that would become necessary."

if you think such mobility can only be achieved by 40 ton tank then IA should forevr tied with T-72 tech. Even t-90 which weighs close to 50 tons is useless because whereever Arjun cant go, it too can not go. Why/

if 60 ton arjun can not cross 40 ton british era bridges in border area without bridging equipment support argument is used , then the same holds true for T-90 also.

The 50 ton T-90 too can not be mobilized fast enough in border regions because 40 ton british era canal bridges and can not support them in Punjab.

Why did DGMF bought thousands of these T-90s, which simply not even fit to fight in the most crucial indian Rajasthan desert are for prolonged time in summer heat?

Who is going to design a 40 ton tank with all modern safe ammo, no cumbersome autoloader fully armor protected tank in this modern era , where the baseline for any modern MBT with protection worth the name is drawn at 55 ton as armata design shows?

""When Indian Army took out their T-72 tanks in Jaffna , three were blown off in the first instance itself. That was end of employment of Tanks in a built up area. Employment of Tanks in built up areas to quell local insurgencies, indulge into urban warfare , and even engage in close quarter battles over the objective, perhaps is not Indian Armour / Mechanised forces doctrine. ( though I am not privy to it) It would still not want their Tanks to be converted into Infantry tanks of the older days of Worl War II."

The reason for this has nothing to do with weight. It has everything to do with ammo cookoff from simple seep through landmine explosions and RPG hits.

SO in any time in future if the IA is forced to enter lahore, which is just 40 Km from international border will they call for importing german mechanized forces?

So for teh next 40 years you and the DGMF want their doctrine to permanently handi cap IA operations in any urban center?

What is Dhaka and many other twons in Bangladesh where IA fought? Dense rain forest?

Any fool will tell you that the key to brake enemy morale is to encircle and take the big towns which are production centers of weapons away from him.

Why did the allied forces rush all over germany in a race to be the first one to reach Berlin?

Last edited:

Khagesh

Can you stop your stupid replies to me? You reply like the half clowns here who talk without understanding. I was not talking about myself being a victim, but rather the armed forces. What I said is true- army is forbidden to talk to public regarding their choices including their weaponry and so when DRDO accuses them of wrong doing they can't even defend their position legally. That's why what I said you guys are fighting an armless opponent. Now don't reply to this post with another useless nonsense. Would be much appreciated.
Well you were a victim when you believed the AIT - that is an admission on your part.
You are again a victim when realization dawned on you that AIT was bull - That is why you rant so much about mother selling whatever.
You are again a victim when you find that your favourite side is actually even more victimized then you - only in this case the victimization of your side is like your own case self inflicted.
You are again a victim when you cannot find facts to malign DRDO and instead seek relief for supporting a loser.

You are as victim as a friggin paki. Deal with it. These are all admissions, direct or indirect.

And do not give me anything about how Indian Army is tongue-tied. The rank & file does not give a damn about the people who have come to head these organizations, then it is a further proof of the worthlessness of these lucky sperms. Indian Army retires thousands of soldiers every year but not one sees it fit to support these surreptitious fellows.

How many of the ex-servicemen have you seen supporting this cabal that plays the game of 'unnamed/untraceable reliable sources' in the media, invariably with defence correspondents who keep doing flip-flops and are great supporters of track-twos. If these track two generals had been faithful to the task of keeping quite then the Main Stream Media would have died of starvation by now.

If you have any residual courage left then find and report facts. Help people reach their own conclusions, instead of relying on secretive memos and reliable sources and taking the benefit of invisible minutes of meetings to foist a presumtion that "All Is Well".

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
It means that DRDO has no problems with the RFI.
And my position is very clear, fanboys have been jumping up and down while the experts are the ones working on it.
That's what I said too. There has been no official statement against this RFI from anyone actually involved in it. Only the fanboys have been making noises and they have so far not given a single evidence/logic for their noice, even after 20 pages of useless discussion. But then again fanboys will be fanboys.

This is the reason I stopped following defence threads. Not enough people with actual knowledge on defence matters are posting anymore and the very few who were present have already left. Now defence threads are overrun by fanboys .

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Well you were a victim when you believed the AIT - that is an admission on your part.
You are again a victim when realization dawned on you that AIT was bull - That is why you rant so much about mother selling whatever.
You are again a victim when you find that your favourite side is actually even more victimized then you - only in this case the victimization of your side is like your own case self inflicted.
You are again a victim when you cannot find facts to malign DRDO and instead seek relief for supporting a loser.

You are as victim as a friggin paki. Deal with it. These are all admissions, direct or indirect.
This is by far the stupidest reply I have read . get help. I was not a victim anywhere never claimed to be one. You were stupid in non understanding I was claiming army to be the defence less guys here and you mistook that I was talking about me. Now accept your mistake instead of replying like a brain dead zombie

Regarding the rest of the crap on ex servicemen not standing up for armed forces, was @Ray good enough for you? He had the same opinion about DRDO as me. What about @lemontree ? He quit the forum before you even entered here. He had the same opinion on DRDO. What about @Bhadra he is ex military too?

Now can you stop with your BS ?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
That is why you rant so much about mother selling whatever.
This is actually funny. I dint personally attack anyone. I just rephrased what their claims on AIT actually is. Too bad it sounded that bad and that it pushed them into victimhood and on the defensive . Says a lot on how pathetic beliefs on AIT are and how pathetic it is to claim foregin parentage :pound:. And talking about pakis-, it Is something found among pakis with identity crisis leading them to claim that they were descendants of Arabs , turks and persians and what not.

Indians believing in AIT and pakis are probably the only people on earth who claim proudly that were produced by foreign invaders :bplease:

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

"As on today anti tank weaponry and Armour (protection) technology is almost evenly matched with tandem warheads, long penetrators, top attack munitions and smart munitions disabling any tank of any protection?. Protection so far has not won its battle.

Since anti tank weapons are improving, sensible guys will design tanks that are heavier with much longer LOS protection with latest armor.But you are suggesting a radical different path for IA, opposed to gen Shankar Roy choudry's sane advice!!!

Roll out new age tin cans and get them all busted in no time with new age 150 mm dia 2000 mts per second muzzle velocity guns!!!

In these age of chinese UCAVs and chinese satelites there are no secrets, for pakistanis . So fast deployment of junk that can be blown to pieces is going to get you nowhere.

Tanks are invariably going to take casualties whether they are light or heavy tanks particularly when two well equipped conventional armies such as those of India and Pakistan are pitted in battles.. the battles are very intense and fast and two sides are going to thow every thing on each other at the very go. In order to minimise those casualties, why cut down on mobility which equally serves as a factor to save casualties and adds to protection? When mobility becomes the essential factor of the doctrine , is such a thing as Arjun advisable ?

Theset of staements above is your personal opinion. new developments in armor will always increase protection. But to avail we need heavier tanks which can support enough space and weight for longer LOS thickness for crew protection.

40 ton tanks are noway fit to accomodate these future upgraded armor tech in any useful LOS armor length combo.

Hence in my view, mobility of mechanised forces must be the prime consideration.

It is not for nothing that Al Khalid is of only 46 tons which is going to be MBT of Pakistan ?"

"Pak has got 46 ton Al Khalid, because they have nothing in their bank account and forced to import these-chinese-soviet prehistoric junk"

Do you want the DGMF to float a global tender to design another space age era junk exactly like Al khalid?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
That's what I said too. There has been no official statement against this RFI from anyone actually involved in it. Only the fanboys have been making noises and they have so far not given a single evidence/logic for their noice, even after 20 pages of useless discussion. But then again fanboys will be fanboys.

This is the reason I stopped following defence threads. Not enough people with actual knowledge on defence matters are posting anymore and the very few who were present have already left. Now defence threads are overrun by fanboys .
if no one is allowed to comment without official response, then we can simply close member participation threads in DFI and restrict users to only post the interview of officials!!!

Who are the ones that left? p2p perhaps?

For examle Arjun was adjudged the best tank in IA in 2009 parliament report , Also IAF chief himself has said hat thre are no doubts in IAF about tejas fighting potential!!!

But p2p and @Bhadra are saying exactly the opposite, Why are they going against these official lines?

Also gen Shankar roy choudry has succintly said that lighter Soviet tanks have always lost to the heavier western tanks,

Can p2p or @Bhadra shed any light on that?

Why did IA T-72s were blown to bits in simple IPKF operations in jaffna. T-90 also has the same ammo storage features that led to turret blow offs due to ammo cooking even for a simple RPG hit, exactly like the older t-72s.

Any newer "medium tank" will also have the same feature. if not why russians upgraded to 55to 60 ton rrange armata, even for threemen crew?

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
if no one is allowed to comment without official response, then we can simply close member participation threads in DFI and restrict users to only post the interview of officials!!!

Who are the ones that left? p2p perhaps?
P2p, decklander, lemotree, Damian, godless kaffir etc

Reg the first para, that's not what I meant. What I meant is if you are going to talk about official stance , you have to provide logic and evidence. So far the only point you guys have made is that this RFI is vague which has already been countered by karn and Bhadra on why it is vague. You guys are yet to make an opposing argument for that.

Bhadra even went ahead with giving example of an US RFI requesting similar equipment. You guys had no reply for it whatsoever.

Instead all this thread you guys have been only talking about Arjun and how army handled it. I give you guys the benefit of the doubt and that you might have a point in Arjun(and only a small part since there is no one in the army to challenge your claims here) but that does not necessarily prove anything regarding "this" RFI. Proving A is BS only proves A is BS and not B is also BS . not in this case.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
P2p, decklander, lemotree, Damian, godless kaffir etc

Reg the first para, that's not what I meant. What I meant is if you are going to talk about official stance , you have to provide logic and evidence. So far the only point you guys have made is that this RFI is vague which has already been countered by karn and Bhadra on why it is vague. You guys are yet to make an opposing argument for that.

Bhadra even went ahead with giving example of an US RFI requesting similar equipment. You guys had no reply for it whatsoever.

Instead all this thread you guys have been only talking about Arjun and how army handled it. I give you guys the benefit of the doubt and that you might have a point in Arjun(and only a small part since there is no one in the army to challenge you claims here) but that does not necessarily prove anything regarding "this" RFI. Proving A is BS only proves A is BS and not B is also BS . not in this case.
Why was the US RFI not acted upon, Was US short of money?

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/combat-aircraft-technology-and-evolution.47398/page-12

From post number 233 onwards you have the exact copy of conversation between me and Decklander in another forum minus the foul words!!!

Also my replies to p2p2 are there for all to see in tejas threads.

Jugde where I am wrong and inform me

this is the third or fourth time I am posting this link to you.

But every time you r bemoan the departure of p2p2 and decklander , i post this links ,you escape without offering any comments about these interactions!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles