Indian Army Aviation Wing

Twinblade

Country flag
Am not entirely sure on how to read the expected numbers for the AH-64D. But considering that the follow up deal is estimated to cost $2.5 billion, am expecting that these 39 extra Apache's would be over and above the 22.

I had some time back commented that at the very minimum the IA should want 68 Apaches, and not 11+22 as was being reported then. I was a bit off, but with the current numbers standing at 61, is fairly close to my estimate.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ants-11-ah-64e-apache-army-aviation-corp.html.
22 for IAF and 39 for IA so total 61.
The squadron would be raised by IAF and it will work under the command of Army as the attack helicopters do now. Army will then gradually absorb the Airforce squadrons for attack helicopers, the Apaches will be brought under army once Airforce arms and trains it. Hinds, Rudra, LCH, Apache, all will become Army assets in the long run.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
My dear, IAF were absolutely pissed when the Naval Aviation Wing was created. The wanted the Sea Harriers & Kamovs under their control.

Now they are pissed about Army aviation wing.

They see it as encroachment over their territory.

how much time should I tell you that IAF was satisfied .
navy too have their aviation corps and IAF doesn't say anything about it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray sir the question here is was this a issue between IA and IAF? as some say that IAF was not hapy with this? Is it true?wat was it all about?
The IAF did not want the Army to have the helicopter assets given to the Army.

I presume they felt that any asset that flies should be theirs. Earlier they had even the control of the Air OP assets, even though they were flown by Army officers. With the coming of the Aviation Corps it was taken over by the Army. Just a turf war.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
So I can assume that this is nothing serious and no ego clashes and all will be taking place on this issue.....
Is IAF okay with navy wing?

As some of the articles say they were earlier not happy but now they are good...

When is the deal for apache going to take place any deadline given?

The IAF did not want the Army to have the helicopter assets given to the Army.

I presume they felt that any asset that flies should be theirs. Earlier they had even the control of the Air OP assets, even though they were flown by Army officers. With the coming of the Aviation Corps it was taken over by the Army. Just a turf war.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So I can assume that this is nothing serious and no ego clashes and all will be taking place on this issue.....
Is IAF okay with navy wing?

As some of the articles say they were earlier not happy but now they are good...

When is the deal for apache going to take place any deadline given?
Hopefully there will be some semblance of Jointmanship since the new Govt has stated that there will be a CDS.

If that happens, then all will be well.

Neil

Country flag
just for the record.. the crap ego is only in the top brass of the IAF. I know transport fleet pilots and they dont mind IA or IN having their own wings one day.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is a good news, This will increase strength of IA but numbers are no enough, The main numbers will be added when LCH induct in IA ..

read full news here :- Indian Army Aviation Corps grabs Apache gunships from IAF | idrw.org
indian army aviation corps will get 39 apache helicopters after delivery of 22 helicopters to IAF. The Goverment has approved the decision to purchase iconic america made helicopter in three squadrons.
All future attack helicopters will be purchased for indian army aviation corps and no more for IAF.
The squadron would be raised by IAF and it will work under the command of Army as the attack helicopters do now. Army will then gradually absorb the Airforce squadrons for attack helicopers, the Apaches will be brought under army once Airforce arms and trains it. Hinds, Rudra, LCH, Apache, all will become Army assets in the long run.

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned
That is a good news, This will increase strength of IA but numbers are no enough, The main numbers will be added when LCH induct in IA ..
We can Produce LCH like sausages.

Are there any heavy Helicopters planned sir at least design work.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The pure focus on LCH as of now, The third prototype will fly soon as and as soon as it IOC, It will be in mass production ..

For example, Since Rudra got its IOC, More than 6 are now flying in Army units over J&K and more under production ..

=================

The objective is expand Army aviation, Giving capability to every crop let it be strike or defensive to have at least two squadron of Attack helicopters, And this can be only delivered by LCH ..

We can Produce LCH like sausages.

Are there any heavy Helicopters planned sir at least design work.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Flood Relief Update:120 Sorties of Army Aviation being done per day for rescue work. 71 seriously ill persons airlifted "ª#"ŽArmyRescue"¬

Punya Pratap

Country flag

Flood Relief Update:120 Sorties of Army Aviation being done per day for rescue work. 71 seriously ill persons airlifted "ª#"ŽArmyRescue"¬
Most of the news channels are showing Dhruv in full swing during the rescue opps so it means that the IAF/IA are ok with the evaluation following the grounding due to the crash.

Now bearing that in mind if the fault was really a design flaw then IAF/IA wouldn't trust Dhruv to perform during inclement weather in J&K.

Expert opinion required?

sgarg

Public sources says India has only 20 Mi-25/Mi-35. However I find such helos on three IAF airbases - Pathankot, Bhisiana, and Suratgarh. This indicates at least three HUs have such helos currently which translates to at least 30#.

The weaponized Mi-17 and Dhruv also come in the category of combat helicopters. Does anybody have numbers and units operating weaponized Mi-17 and Dhruv.

I think India's anti-tank helicopters are under-reported. India may have at least 100 anti-tank helicopters presently.

sgarg

The flood relief in Kashmir on such massive scale is a pointer to massive growth in Indian military's helicopter strength. Helicopters are the key to defeating Pakistan.

sgarg

The army uses its equipment extensively. This is the strongest reason army should be supported by local industry so that spares are not a problem.

Dhruv is a success because bulk of its spares are local.

Weaponized Dhruv may turn out to be quite successful as against Mi-17 which is much larger target. This is one weapon that changes equations in Kashmir.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles