Indian Army Aviation Wing

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Mk.3`s The first batch were inducted into service in 2012, Around +109 were order from which +70 are active in service ..

Anybody know how many ALH Mk.3 are in service to date (not on order but actually produced) ?

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Re: Indian Army News

Indian Army Delegation visits Joint Base Lewis-McChord

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkvx9665KUE

Lt. Gen. P. R. Kumar, Director General Military Operations, Indian Army, toured Joint Base Lewis- McChord with Lt. Gen. Stephen Lanza, Commanding General, I Corps Joint Base Lewis-McChord, during an executive steering group conference Mar. 11. The visitors viewed different events which included a wreath laying ceremony, live fire exercise, and multiple meetings aimed at building a strong partnership.

Combined armed live-fire exercise. An AH-64 Apache helicopter fires its 30 mm machine gun at a target during a combined arms live-fire exercise March 11 at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. The exercise was held in conjunction with a visit from a delegation of Indian military leaders.

16th CAB takes Lt. Gen. Kumar on a flight. Chief Warrant Officer 4 Haskins, 16th Combat Aviation Brigde gives Lt. Gen. P.R. Kumar, Director General Military Operations, Indian Army, a ariel view of JBLM and the surrounding area during the 2015 India-U.S. Executive Steering Group session.

More
Photos in the link
:
http://flickr.com/#/photos/icorps/sets/72157651259953351/

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Newly Made Rudra under testing ..

Note the tail number IA-2105

=======================

Some Rudra seen before >>

------------------

=======================
=======================

Therefore >

Total Rudra for IA >

IA-2101 Seen
IA-2102 Seen
IA-2103 Unseen
IA-2104 Unseen
IA-2105 Seen
Must say quite an observation. :clap:
Thanks for pointing that out.
Although unreliable but wikipedia says 22 of these have been built. I dont know about the source but if it is to be believed then I guess all of them must be for the Army Aviation for now.

Is black the official color for them or it will be camouflaged according to the requirement?

Btw along with fighting capabilities it can also carry 12- 14 battle ready troops and max payload is 5500kg which puts it on par or I must say above Mi 17 v5 as it is a transporter with the 30 troop capacity and payload of 13000kg (considering the fighting ability and superiority of Rudra). Although they have different roles but being a light machine with multipurpose use, it is very good than Mi 17

abingdonboy

Country flag
AHRLAC Holdings Ahrlac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unit cost
under $10 million

Performance

Maximum speed: 504 km/h; 313 mph (272 kn)
Range: 2,130 km; 1,323 mi (1,150 nmi)
Endurance: 7–10 hrs
Service ceiling: 9,450 m (31,004 ft)
Take-off distance: 550 metres (1,800 ft) with full payload

Armament

Guns: F2 20 mm cannon

Hardpoints: 6 with provisions to carry combinations of:
Missiles: Mokopa anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM),
Bombs: Mk 81 or Mk 82 general-purpose bombs

Just read about this new light cheap platform on the market for reconnaissance and light attack, i think the IA and the BSF would do well to have a squadron or two of these babies patrolling hard to reach areas of the border from the air.I give you the AHRLAC.

AHRLAC

This aircraft offers no utility to the IA or BSF. For patrolling along the LoC the IA and IAF use UAVs which are much more cost effective and have far greater loitering times and airpower in COIN is not part of the Indian armed force's ethos.

The current practice of UAV/ ground sensor detection-------> launch of helliborne SFs for interception and neutralisation has been perfected over the years and works just fine.

IA should get some mark 3s!
They do and more are on order

Last edited by a moderator:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Indian Commandos are best in the world
Which one, since India has many forces like MARCOS, Ghatak force, Para SF, NSG, Garud etc. They certainly are among the best in the world special forces, however I doubt that any of the commando force in the world can be called the best, since their operational parameter hardly ever crosses each others path.

anyway, welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself in the introduction thread.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Such platforms have utility in both IA and BSF, It has bigger role to play in recon as well as light strike from high altitude ..

Need for such platform was realized in Kargil War ..

This aircraft offers no utility to the IA or BSF. For patrolling along the LoC the IA and IAF use UAVs which are much more cost effective and have far greater loitering times and airpower in COIN is not part of the Indian armed force's ethos.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Such platforms have utility in both IA and BSF, It has bigger role to play in recon as well as light strike from high altitude ..

Need for such platform was realized in Kargil War ..
I'm sorry sir but in this day and age when you have satellites and MALE UAVs I don't see the need for such an aircraft especially not in India.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In India majority of survellence are done by Helicopter, These are expensive to fly and operate with limited range, UAV and satellites are not available to all formations and they need very specific requirement for operations ..

I'm sorry sir but in this day and age when you have satellites and MALE UAVs I don't see the need for such an aircraft especially not in India.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

Operation Maitri (Rescue and Relief Work) #NepalEarthquake #OpMaitri The biggest challenge was to make helipads as many areas did not have a place to land. The Indian Army Aviation pilots took immense risk to evacuate stranded villages in remote areas of Nepal.
(ADGPI - Indian Army)

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Operation Maitri - Inside a chopper relief mission to Nepal's nether regions

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles