Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am sure now, i am not the Only One..

What model are these?

Cessna XXXXX ?

black eagle

Country flag
Army aviation all set for expansion

Indian army is finally acknowledging need for separate air power assets under its wings, world's third largest standing army is set to explore all possibilities to upgrade and enhance their air fire power, and we will look at aerial assets Army plans to acquire in coming decade.

HAL Dhruv: Indian Army already has inducted more than 40 indigenously manufactured Dhruv helicopters and plans to induct 3 times more than in its current fleet ,Army will be largest operator among three service and is actively supporting Dhruv WSI Armed variant which is still under testing .

HAL Light Observation Helicopter (LOH): Hal's Light Observation Helicopter project has full backing of the India army; LOH will be replacing ageing Cheetah and Chetek helicopters which form backbone of the India army's aviation fleet. LOH is based on Single engined powered Shakti engine, which have similar appearance to HAL's Dhruv helicopter, Army will also be acquiring LOH which will be purchased directly from a foreign vendor for which Contenders have already completed their trials.

HAL Light Combat Helicopter (LCH): a multirole combat helicopter which already has made it first flight last year and its second TD-2 prototype has already been displayed at recently held Aero India 2011 airshow in Bangalore. Combat helicopter have always been in Indian air forces possession, well it all going to change soon, India army has taken keen interest in the Project and has already deputed high ranked Helicopter pilots from its Aviation wing to the Project. As per sources Army has been actively guiding HAL on various fronts to improve the combat aircraft, and is also keen to acquire it in much bigger number then Air force, HAL has firm orders of 114 LCH from Indian Army but plans are to acquire more with better future variants, this will enable Indian Army to have the largest fleet of combat helicopters not only among three armed services but also in whole of Asia region. LCH equipped with Helina ATGM will play the role of Tank Busters for the Indian Army in near future.

Hal- Irkut Corporations Multi-role transport aircraft (MRTA): Hal and Russian company – Irkut Corporations is already working on 20 tons MRTA to replace aging An-32 from Indian air force, while An-32 was operated solely by Indian Air force, Indian Army is all set to order at least two dozen of this aircrafts for its own Aviation wings to help in transport of logistics and troops. This will be first time Indian army will be operating larger aircrafts. While MRTA will take to air by 2015 only and production will start by 2017, initial batch will go to Indian air force and Army will get them at near end of this decade.

UAV: Unmanned aerial Vehicles are already been planned by Indian army and some Foreign and locally developed UAV's have already been inducted into Army , more currently in development like DRDO's MALE and HALE UAV's are also under radar of Indian army ,plans are there to induct them when their trials are over .

sandeepdg

[/COLOR][/B]Hal- Irkut Corporations Multi-role transport aircraft (MRTA): Hal and Russian company – Irkut Corporations is already working on 20 tons MRTA to replace aging An-32 from Indian air force, while An-32 was operated solely by Indian Air force, Indian Army is all set to order at least two dozen of this aircrafts for its own Aviation wings to help in transport of logistics and troops. This will be first time Indian army will be operating larger aircrafts. While MRTA will take to air by 2015 only and production will start by 2017, initial batch will go to Indian air force and Army will get them at near end of this decade.

This is a very good development for the IA's aviation wing. Hope they get more aircrafts of these type of platform, preferably a heavy lift one too in the future.

black eagle

Country flag
This is a very good development for the IA's aviation wing. Hope they get more aircrafts of these type of platform, preferably a heavy lift one too in the future.
I am kinda curious to see what the IAF has say about the Army operating fixed wing crafts. In the past they have fiercely resisted any such idea fearing it would diminish IAF's area of operation & might render some of the IAF's function redundant.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
That sounds stupid. Even if the IA gets a combat aircraft squadron for CAS, how does that affect the importance of IAF? IAFs role is to provide air supremacy in own airspace, air dominance in combat area and air defence in enemy territory. In addition, carry out ground strikes in combat area and deep strike missions in enemy territory. To do all this, IA will have to get an air wing about the same size as IAF - which is impossible.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That sounds stupid. Even if the IA gets a combat aircraft squadron for CAS, how does that affect the importance of IAF? IAFs role is to provide air supremacy in own airspace, air dominance in combat area and air defence in enemy territory. In addition, carry out ground strikes in combat area and deep strike missions in enemy territory. To do all this, IA will have to get an air wing about the same size as IAF - which is impossible.
There is no problem with IAF, IAF is happy to see a CAS squadron of IA consist of light Aircraft such as AJTs / SU-25 / Turbo Props..

This enable IAF to conduct freely on its own battle strategy Where IA field commander no longer have to wait for green light from IAF..

But not be confuse, where IA air-wing cannot be operated IAF is always there...

Cheers..

pmaitra

One question:

During my visit to Port Blair, I saw helicopters and fixed wing aircraft circling the archipelago, probably keeping a watch.

Are these:
  • IAF?
  • IA Aviation Wing?
  • Coast Guard?

Did not see the marking clearly. It was peacetime, i.e. India was not at war.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One question:

During my visit to Port Blair, I saw helicopters and fixed wing aircraft circling the archipelago, probably keeping a watch.

Are these:

• IAF?
  • IA Aviation Wing?
  • Coast Guard?

Did not see the marking clearly. It was peacetime, i.e. India was not at war.

If Blue : Navy
If White : Coast Guards
If Gray : IAF
If Green : IA

Almost every branch operate Helos from there..

black eagle

Country flag
Please read the report & my comment before you give any opinion on it. I am talking about IAF's reservation on IA operating fixed wing crafts not helos as IA already operates them. IA buying LCH for CAS not the MTAs. As you know, i am sure, MTAs are transport aircrafts. So IA operating transport aircrafts will definitely diminish IAF's role in that area & by the way there were reports a few years back that IAF opposed any move by the IA of operating fixed wing crafts within the MoD. That's why i said what i said. I am trying to find those reports. As soon as i find them i will post them for your convenience.

I am personally not opposed to the idea of IA using fixed wing crafts. To me, the more the merrier.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
is it possible to modify the ijt sitara into a cas airfract similar to su-25 and a-10.it can be armoured and will be very cheap and the army can use it in large numbers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
is it possible to modify the ijt sitara into a cas airfract similar to su-25 and a-10.it can be armoured and will be very cheap and the army can use it in large numbers.
AJT is a excellent platform for CAS, But it cannot be armored as SU-25 nor A-10 coz of smaller Engine..

AJT can be use for bombing from high altitudes and can strafe enemy with its gun and rockets..

pmaitra

^^ Kunal, I think he was talking about HJT-36, not AJT.

@shuvo@y2k10, ok, if my assumption is right let us look at the HJT-36.

This plane had a larger longitudinal span than lateral. Hence, while it can lose and gain altitude with relatively good alacrity, it cannot maneouver well when turning is involved. Also, the wing profile focuses on lift and not on speed. It uses either a Snecma Larzac or Russian AL-55I and is capable of Mach 0.8. The Max takeoff weight is 4,600 kg, even less than Yak-130's 6,500 kg. To be really useful, it will need at least two engines and hence will require modification or redesign. So, I would think, while it is a good platform that can be modified to be of good combat use, in the current format, it would be too optimistic to expect it to be inducted for combat. As of now, it is just an 'Intermediate Jet trainer aircraft (IJT)'.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ Kunal, I think he was talking about HJT-36, not AJT.

@shuvo@y2k10, ok, if my assumption is right let us look at the HJT-36.

This plane had a larger longitudinal span than lateral. Hence, while it can lose and gain altitude with relatively good alacrity, it cannot maneouver well when turning is involved. Also, the wing profile focuses on lift and not on speed. It uses either a Snecma Larzac or Russian AL-55I and is capable of Mach 0.8. The Max takeoff weight is 4,600 kg, (IJT)'.
I was refering to HJT-36 sitara only.. :)

HJT-36 can be used for CAS Without redesigning, It can hold:
5 X hardpoints with up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) of a variety of guns, bombs, rockets, and missiles
1 × 23 mm / 12.7mm (optional)

The Aircraft is good, Maneuverability is also ok and its done by using Snecma Larzac not AL-55I
2011- al-55i
What we need from AJT/ IJT is to drop PGMs mostly, Specially over Kargil type battlefield at high altitude..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Effort To Arm Indian Stage-2 Trainer Begins

Effort To Arm Indian Stage-2 Trainer Begins

HAL has initiated a critical phase of the intermediate jet trainer (IJT) programme by calling for bids to weaponise the aircraft. After hurdles delayed the flight test programme last year, the Indian intermediate jet trainer HJT-36 Sitara is on course to obtain initial operational clearance (IOC) in June. Crucial spin recovery tests -- mandatory for the IOC checklist -- are scheduled to begin in the next two weeks. In the meantime, since the Sitara will be used for primary weapon training of pilots in gunnery, rocketry, bombing and weapon aiming, HAL has now invited bids to give the platform a 12.7-mm gun pod (with 200 round capacity) suitable for its in-board wing stations.
The programme team intends to deliver a fully operational platform to the IAF in 2013. The IAF has asked for over 70 aircraft, but is almost certain to finally order nearly three times that number. The aircraft will be flown by the Surya Kiran Aerobatic Team (SKAT) once ready. The HJT-36 will also feature prominently on HAL's export catalogue, possibly as a light attack aircraft as well. Am working on a retrospective of the Sitara programme, with lots of pictures. That should be done in the next week or so.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/02/effort-to-arm-indian-stage-2-trainer.html

pmaitra

^^ Thanks for the detailed discussion Kunal.

One question, when used as CAS, is the HJT-36 still going to have a crew of two or one?

Thanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ Thanks for the detailed discussion Kunal.

One question, when used as CAS, is the HJT-36 still going to have a crew of two or one?

Thanks.
I presume 2, As IA operate almost every Aircraft with crew of two..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Jaguar is one of the finest CAS planes around.

Air ops against civilians were first undertaken in Manipur in the 50s (not sure of the date).

I think the present central govt has done more than other previous union govts have combined against the maoists, though I will concede that even that is not enough.
Basically a concerted state+central+public effort is required. Unfortunately the politicians lack the appetite to take the fight to the maoists, and lack the will to see this through. Status quo is yielding good results for the concerned parties as well.
In reply to all the anti-commie rants of maomao, (even though I am not a commie supporter), all I can say is, "Chill". The maoists, naxals etc are creations of our own corrupt and nepotisitc society. Look at the regions were maoists operate. These are areas rich in natural resources, where wealth is created for the rich elites of the cities (mining of minerals and coal, logging in forests, hunting of rare animals and so on). For ages, the feudal lords used to exploit the people, then the british and finally the netas and babus of our own republic. The people here live over the biggest reserves of material wealth in our country and have the most abject lives. Sure now the government talks about "development" but they did jackshit in the last 60+ years. And irrespective of the parties - the Congress did nothing, the BJP - nothing, the so-called "communists" - nothing. So, no wonder that the assholes of a "maoist" resistance, who love to lick the discarded putrified maoist ideologies of "peasant-led communism" are using these people for their own benefits. They are forming their version of a meaningless "revolutionary" state - another tragic development in the long line of "revolutionary" developments in the history of the world. However, they are leading INDIAN CITIZENS against the state. Their followers are criminals, not foreign invaders. So, using the army or the airforce against the Indian Citizens is BAD - smells of totalitarian regimes like Gaddafi. If we go down that path, then there would be no tomorrow to a true egalitarian secular society in India.
So, what can we do? Fight the menace at the socio-politic-economic levels. Bring in development, eradicate poverty. Remove corruption and babudom. Put the corrupt netas in jail. Use the specially trained police/ paramilitary forces against the maoists. Train and equip them better. Our army/ AF should fight foreign invaders, not our own rebeling citizens.

As for records, the earliest case of using the airforce against a rebellion in independant India was probably 1950-51 in Telengana.

Global Defence

Articles