Indian Army Artillery

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
kunal sir,during kargil war i had seen the picture of a type of howister of indian army in news papers of that time... but after that i didnt find the pic of it any army thread or any info about in it in wiki also...but i found that howister with british army during iraq war....its written that it was of 105mm/115mm calibre..so can you please identify that gun...
Brits use their own 105mm, We used Indian Field Gun 105mm manufactured by OFB, 130MM M46 was also used and most popular 155mm/39l Bofors were used..

105/37 IFG E1 over 1st pic and 105/37 LFG E2 in 2nd pic
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wlc/3.htm

M-46 130MM

Bofors 155mm/39l

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
thanx for the info sir....i was referring to the indian field gun..

Agantrope

How about this news???

DRDO may field Indigenous 155-mm gun for the Indian Army by end of 2013

Indian army which is struggling to purchase 155-mm Guns for itself for the past 9 years might wait little longer and for an indigenously developed 155-mm towed gun.Many of the guns which were offered by foreign vendors are already blacklisted by Ministry of Defence due various ill-regulatories and allegations of corruption that includes some of the top companies like, Singapore Technologies Kinetics (STK); Germany's Rheinmetall; Israel Military Industries (IMI); and another Israeli company, Soltam. Denel, a South African company, had been blacklisted earlier;

155-mm gun Project will be a Public-Private joint venture between DRDO and Bharat Forge / Larsen & Toubro. ARDE one of the DRDO Laboratory has already taken up the work and is carrying out preliminary work of the project.

ARDE designed Arjun's Tanks 120mm Riffle bore guns and even developed the 105mm Indian Field Gun (IFG), Indian army is likely to work with ARDE on this project and is keen on this project to avoid further delays in inducting 155mm guns.

Indian army which has a requirement of more than 1400 of 155-mm Guns is now counting on ARDE to pull it out of this mess and deliver this guns for trails by 2013 at best, while ARDE with help from Private sector is confident to produce one by 2013 and give it for Army Trials.

http://idrw.org/?p=1242

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am not getting any news from BEML`s 52CAL SPGH..

Sad, Still 2013 is fine coz none know the recent tender will be blacklisted again or not!! .. :)

We have seen decades of delays,At least some one will deliver Guns by 2014, This is a secondry option we have which was not available before....

In the mean time all Bofors 39cal be upgraded to 45cal, Also same should be tried on more than 1000 M46 guns..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It is good to see that our people are waking up and trying to find a solution, better late then never

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Do not worry things are making progress. It is just that person incharge likes to do work and not just talking. He is my relative.

Zebra

Country flag
Hi,
I think when our order is so huge , we can buy all guns like 50 each- use them and sellect few of them the best ones , buy them in good numbers , assemble in India . When dramas happens like this and we have to suffer alot because of thoes dramas. In this way way we can get the best ones in time . But first buy all of them in small numbers . Then go for big.
India always ask for tech. But never use that tech . What happend to Bafors 155mm guns technology - the lincense to make more by our selves . We never use that . Never make any more guns by our selves . I don't know why . Nobody bother for that before going for new tenders for new 155mm guns .

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
what is the total no. of artillery pieces the chinese and the pakistani have?how much do india have?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Do not worry things are making progress. It is just that person incharge likes to do work and not just talking. He is my relative.
Exactly , i have been talking to a friend in deolali and all he tells me is don't worry you guys are gonna be surprised at what we already got!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Exactly , i have been talking to a friend in deolali and all he tells me is don't worry you guys are gonna be surprised at what we already got!
Yup, lot of people need to read the article from orbat.com "The hidden strength of Indian army" :)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ 22.04 is from my base.. :)

I never knew that Discovery guys were filming just beside me on the same firing day.. :)

Koovie

One question, does the IA has any kind of self propelled artillery???

Global Defence

New threads

Articles