Indian Army Artillery

Tanmay

Country flag
Does anyone know the final count of Smerch and Pinaka Regiments functioning in army as of now?

We gave a repeat order for Smerch it seems a few years ago

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Does anyone know the final count of Smerch and Pinaka Regiments functioning in army as of now?

We gave a repeat order for Smerch it seems a few years ago
Yes .

Grande's 7 regiments 128 .
Smerche's 3 regument's 54 .
pinaka MK 1 22 regiment's by 2021 that means 396 .
Pinaka MK 2 uknown by 2021 probably 7 regiment's 128 .

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
My guess.
They want a inventory of 40 km 100 km and 150 km range MBRL.
It is impractical to keep all long ranges MBRL, as long range ones will cost more.

Tanmay

Country flag
We have 3 Smerch Regiments and each Strike Corps has been given one regiment.

We had 2 regiments of Pinakas, so one strike Corps didnt have Pinaka.

We had 2 more Pinaka regiments on order, so were they delivered?

Also that leaves 17 Montain Strike corps without Pinakas or Smerch as of now.

Tanmay

Country flag
At 5:54 time: He says cost of one bofors gun is Rs. 4 Core

At 7:00 time: He says barrel needs to be changed after firing 3000 shells
( Equivalent full charge aka barrel life of bofors = 3000 shells)

Quoting Wikipedia
Effective full charge / Equivalent full charge
(Note: The British Army term is usually equivalent full charge)

Gun barrels naturally experience internal wear when fired, caused by mechanical wear from the projectile moving along the barrel, and thermal and chemical wear from propellant gases. This wear can reduce muzzle velocity and hence range, affect accuracy, produce unstable projectile flight, and, eventually, cause the gun barrel to fail.

Most guns are capable of firing different types of ammunition with varying charges, and not all of these combinations produce the same firing damage per round fired. The concept of ‘effective full charge’ provides a means of estimating the remaining life of a gun barrel taking into account the varying charges that can be fired from it before it becomes so worn as to be unusable, or no longer safe.[15]

To illustrate, the round (i.e. the combination of projectile and propelling charge) that produces the most firing damage is assigned an effective full charge (EFC) value of “one”. Other round combinations are assigned lesser values derived from testing and experience.

If a gun barrel is capable of firing three different round types: round A (EFC = 1); round B (EFC = 0.75); and round C (EFC = 0.25), and if 100 of each round type is fired, then the barrel is said to have fired (100*1.00) + (100*0.75) + (100*0.25) = 200 EFCs.

If it had previously been determined from testing and experience that this type of barrel has an estimated wear life of 250 EFCs, this specific barrel is at about 80% of its useful life. Plans would be made to order a replacement barrel within the time an additional 50 EFCs were expected to be fired. However the actual decision to retire any specific barrel would be made on examination and measurement of actual wear rather than that predicted by the EFC count.

In practice a barrel might be replaced before reaching its EFC life, or the limits of wear.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
If I come across the info I will post for sure.

Or probably some member can ask it during some Know Your Army Mela and record it. :)
Check my previous post bro it's linked to a NATO article that has m777 assesment.

Tanmay

Country flag
So that's what they meant when they said titanium based artillery is high maintenance.
And I thought that titanium is more durable/long lasting.

So the only use of Titanium is weight reduction?

Tanmay

Country flag
At 5:54 time: He says cost of one bofors gun is Rs. 4 Core

At 7:00 time: He says barrel needs to be changed after firing 3000 shells
( Equivalent full charge aka barrel life of bofors = 3000 shells)

Quoting Wikipedia

Also visible is the 'Black Elephant' with Yellow background.

01.JPG

So this Artillery Regiment is deployed with 1st Armoured Division, II 'Kharga' Corps (Ambala)

This is the formation sign of 1st Armoured Division (Airawat Division) based at Patiala
1 Armor Division.jpg

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
And I thought that titanium is more durable/long lasting.

So the only use of Titanium is weight reduction?
Other than that it is also very sturdy.
Means it's barrel performance will not change if shifted from desert of thar to montains of Siachen.
But still I'm a but disappointed.

Also m198 has a life cycles of 1700.

Maybe bofors is just that good.
Or we are missing something.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
@Tanmay there is still hope.

2650 rounds fired in syria.
It depends upon what type of round and charge u are firing.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

After this trial in 2017 they are recommending upgrade that will futher increase the life of gun

Tanmay

Country flag

Yes. I had quoted wikipedia for the same

If a gun barrel is capable of firing three different round types: round A (EFC = 1); round B (EFC = 0.75); and round C (EFC = 0.25), and if 100 of each round type is fired, then the barrel is said to have fired (100*1.00) + (100*0.75) + (100*0.25) = 200 EFCs.
Probably the Amrikis use too much of range extenders or precision ammo? Not the plain vanilla ammo?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Research projects like these produce ancillary data beyond the main objective.
longer ranges are always welcome, and more over who know if the same tech can be incorporated into 127 mm naval shells there might be some utility there as well.

better to have it and choose not use it than not having it when you need it.

anyways there is a many hurdles for this project to cross.
That is perfectly fine. Research must go on to explore new frontiers of Sceince and technology ....
However many aspects are incremental in nature. For example there is no use firing shell at 50 km which has a dispersion of one km from the intended point of impact. Hence research in long range must adhere to requirements of accuracy. Therefore, smart munition, extend range shells, course correction fuzes. extended communications. Surveillance and target acquisition, all should be associated areas of the same research and technological capabilities.

The second aspect of Research and Development journey is that technological capabilities always and every time do not lead to its adoption by users. Adoption of technology depends on Users requirement, economic factors. acceptability and supporting ecosystem. We might have a technology to run gas turbine engine cars on Indian roads but its acceptance and adoption depends on factors other than scientific and technological.

That my dear sir is a dichotomy the Scientists and Armed Forces both must understand. I shall advance an example. ATGS is a fantastic system but can we afford that 25 crore gun in large numbers as compared to 12 Crore Dhanush and one crore Sarang when we need those in thousands ?

That was my point. Those who sponsor projects must keep all aspects in mind. What is the use of having a 50km Guns when Infantry mortars have not graduated beyong six kms and attacking forces have no long endurance carrier to reach 50 km to exploit the destruction caused by guns..

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That is perfectly fine. Research must go on to explore new frontiers of Sceince and technology ....
However many aspects are incremental in nature. For example there is no use firing shell at 50 km which has a dispersion of one km from the intended point of impact. Hence research in long range must adhere to requirements of accuracy. Therefore, smart munition, extend range shells, course correction fuzes. extended communications. Surveillance and target acquisition, all should be associated areas of the same research and technological capabilities.

The second aspect of Research and Development journey is that technological capabilities always and every time do not lead to its adoption by users. Adoption of technology depends on Users requirement, economic factors. acceptability and supporting ecosystem. We might have a technology to run gas turbine engine cars on Indian roads but its acceptance and adoption depends on factors other than scientific and technological.

That my dear sir a a dichotomy the Scientists and Armed Forces both must understand. I shall advance an example. ATGS is a fantastic system but can we afford that 25 crore gun in large numbers as compared to 12 Crore Dhanush and one crore Sarang when we need those in thousands ?

That was my point. Those who sponsor projects must keep all aspects in mind. What is the use of having a 50km Guns when Infantry mortars have not graduated beyong six kms and attacking forces have no long endurance carrier to reach 50 km to exploit the destruction caused by guns..
as long as there is positive discrimination in favour of the idea... :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles