Indian Army Artillery

prateikf

Country flag
So as per the below article only 50 Dhanush guns will have been produced by the end of this FY:

AnantS

Country flag
Can't help.
Its designed to hold Zone 7 charges. The length of BMCS in that case would be 1 metre.
its fine to have that tray while deployment. But during Mobility it should have collapsible/foldable mechanism.

AnantS

Country flag
Not practical and really not of so much importance anyway.

View attachment 231555

This is how they are going to tow it, so the breech loader bridge is anyway not going to matter in transportation.
ahh I see we are talking across each other. I am talking about ATAGS + Modified Tatra platform based MGS system. My mistake I quoted wrong post. I wanted to quote this post

1701860873992.png

Chinmoy

Country flag
right but bottom one is think Dhanush based not ATAGS so cant compare. And in MGS case some with Clever Engineering the tray can be folded down. IIRC some French or Israeli one MG have similar feature.
Yes, it can be done. But from developer point of view, you would not want to. It would create one additional point of failure. This bridge is generally seen in howitzers with self loading capability.

Archer.jpg

Archer has put it inside the housing on back.

Caeser.jpg

atmos_2000.jpg

Caeser and Atmos has the appendages protruding out. So its much more convenient and logical to put in inside a housing rather then making a folding mechanism in case of auto loader.

AnantS

Country flag
@Chinmoy In Archer Housing is just not cover for semi manual but its completely automated Loading(Both Shell and Charge) , disposal of spent charge. Loading etc. They can all be done from within Driver Box. I am trying to get length of MGS system but in MGS - in addition to overhang of the Layering Station (which both Ceasar and MGS have as an Overhang - a design necessity for making ease of operation), MGS has rammer Tray overhang. The ceaser doesnt have the same - It albiet has different loading mechanism. MGS one is very inspired from existing Bofors Loading Mechanism.

1701865928224.png

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Chinmoy In Archer Housing is just not cover for semi manual but its completely automated Loading(Both Shell and Charge) , disposal of spent charge. Loading etc. They can all be done from within Driver Box. I am trying to get length of MGS system but in MGS - in addition to overhang of the Layering Station (which both Ceasar and MGS have as an Overhang - a design necessity for making ease of operation), MGS has rammer Tray overhang. The ceaser doesnt have the same - It albiet has different loading mechanism. MGS one is very inspired from existing Bofors Loading Mechanism.

View attachment 231577
Yes. Level of automation in MGS has been kept upto the level of Bofors and ATAGS which is good from user point of view.
In Caeser, while in deployed mode, the shell and charge loader are different. It would move up and down for each firing sequence. So keeping it in working condition is an engineering as well and maintenance challenge. While on move, as you could see from the pic I posted, these are kept in a horizontal position just like MGS.

Chinmoy

Country flag
On the move its the Big Spade of the Caesar jotting out(which being sturdy part of artillery, should be ok jutting out), not the rammin tray.

View attachment 231592
EMM, actually both are two different system. The previous one you showed was a 8x8 based system as opposed of this 6x6.

Caeser 6x6.jpg

6x6 doesn't have an auto loader.

Caeser.jpg

Here you could see the auto loader jutting out.

AnantS

Country flag
Yes you are correct. I guess most 155/52 MGS systems have this issue of enlarged Rammer system. Here Japanese Type 19 can also seen with same. The rammer is kindly shielded with extra big Spade. BUt I guess thats not posible for sake of creeping weght
1701870189269.png

1701870289721.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles