Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

mamamia12

Got into fight with one such turkroach who boasted a F110 class engine ready to fly by 2028 as quoted by their incharge of TAI. So how credible is them getting even a outdated tech F404 level engine much less the F110 class engine. I doubt them when chinese with wallet busting budget and "Asian Brain" along with supercomputing infrastructure catched upto F110 level without jugaad much the F119 and the holy grail F135. Turbofans are not like Aerostructures where for latter you can import engineers and get an engine ready in even five magical years. It took chinese some 15 years to catch up with WS-20 even with their existing turbofan industry base much less these people who didn't even manufacture a single turbofan until now and only boasting of being supplier of subparts to GE . Basically they are trying to leap entirely from F404 to F110 level. I don't know how they will salvage the plane without the engine unless they designed the plane to be able to take some russian or ukrainian engine (I don't know whether that is possible). Also as you have mentioned why are they begging for F-16s when they gonna have KAAN. They skipped the 4.5gen step so they can accelerate the 5th gen but I think their strategy is to use Loyal Wingman drone like Kizilelma paired with kaan which i think is an half-assed plan. One can't fill their entire inventory with 5th gen+LoyalWingman only not USA nor China much less turkey. India can't just fill in the inventory with just 5th gen along with loyal wingman drones hoping to win wars not now not in next 50 years, hence tejas mk2 and mk1A are CRUCIAL and vital steps to fill in numbers much like J-10 for PLAAF or F-16 for USAF who are planning to operate them for next 30-40 years.

NutCracker

Country flag
Got into fight with one such turkroach who boasted a F110 class engine ready to fly by 2028 as quoted by their incharge of TAI. So how credible is them getting even a outdated tech F404 level engine much less the F110 class engine. I doubt them when chinese with wallet busting budget and "Asian Brain" along with supercomputing infrastructure catched upto F110 level without jugaad much the F119 and the holy grail F135. Turbofans are not like Aerostructures where for latter you can import engineers and get an engine ready in even five magical years. It took chinese some 15 years to catch up with WS-20 even with their existing turbofan industry base much less these people who didn't even manufacture a single turbofan until now and only boasting of being supplier of subparts to GE . Basically they are trying to leap entirely from F404 to F110 level. I don't know how they will salvage the plane without the engine unless they designed the plane to be able to take some russian or ukrainian engine (I don't know whether that is possible). Also as you have mentioned why are they begging for F-16s when they gonna have KAAN. They skipped the 4.5gen step so they can accelerate the 5th gen but I think their strategy is to use Loyal Wingman drone like Kizilelma paired with kaan which i think is an half-assed plan. One can't fill their entire inventory with 5th gen+LoyalWingman only not USA nor China much less turkey. India can't just fill in the inventory with just 5th gen along with loyal wingman drones hoping to win wars not now not in next 50 years, hence tejas mk2 and mk1A are CRUCIAL and vital steps to fill in numbers much like J-10 for PLAAF or F-16 for USAF who are planning to operate them for next 30-40 years.
Isn't their TEI who is going to make the engine itself is a JV between TAI and GE.
We know who is going to do the heavy lifting in that .
Also Turdey getting foolproof IP rights will be another issue.

pankaj nema

Country flag

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Not related to IAF, but why is that erdo guy requesting to buy eurofighters or such. Isn't the kaan or something ready to fly as boasted by turkroaches. They basically at prototype stage and if the kaan is supposedly on paper then they may have to resort to importing to fill the gaps. So, my burning question is what prompted to for foreign maal when the fighter is at last stage unlike ours where it exists only on paper.
Turkeys total defence budget is around 20 billion dollars, out of which R&D will make up at most 3-5 billion. There's a limit to how much you can develop new systems with just that much. They're trying to match the likes of China and Russia in terms of new products without anywhere near the budget. So questions must be raised on the quality of whatever shiny new project they have.

Small drone development like Bayraktar are possible on shoe string budgets. But a 5th gen fighter and stealth air to air drone are in another league.

Blademaster

Is it a dog and pony show or is there actual real wargaming with a red opforce that is free to use any tactics and a blue force that practices doctrines and tactics to see if they work or not as to stimulate real battle?

otherwise it is just a giant waste of money and resources.

NutCracker

Country flag
Turkeys total defence budget is around 20 billion dollars, out of which R&D will make up at most 3-5 billion. There's a limit to how much you can develop new systems with just that much. They're trying to match the likes of China and Russia in terms of new products without anywhere near the budget. So questions must be raised on the quality of whatever shiny new project they have.

Small drone development like Bayraktar are possible on shoe string budgets. But a 5th gen fighter and stealth air to air drone are in another league.
TUrdogan has pumped the Defence budget by 150% . so this year istead of 16/20 , it will be 40B$.
Thats equivalent to India increasing budget to 200B$.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Is it a dog and pony show or is there actual real wargaming with a red opforce that is free to use any tactics and a blue force that practices doctrines and tactics to see if they work or not as to stimulate real battle?

Highest alert levels that can be issued by the govt during peace time, just in case any of our neighbours have any bright ideas since the country will be busy in elections.

mamamia12

TUrdogan has pumped the Defence budget by 150% . so this year istead of 16/20 , it will be 40B$.
Thats equivalent to India increasing budget to 200B$.
doesn't matter if our budget increases to 200B$ or 400B$, shit stays same and we will always be a tier-2 forces. It may bear wonderful results in other countries with propping up Indigenous MIC but not here. Unless you dismantle drdo and dpsu's and their commie union shit stays same.

DumbPilot

Country flag

TACDE, while not as big as dedicated OPFOR squadrons like in the US, does provide the same functionality to top performers of each batch. I assume they then transfer this experience to others in their squadron after returning

Although this is an exercise, it may be focused entirely on A2A or A2G depending on what it's trying to simulate. Rest assured there should be OPFOR in these exercise for training purposes

IndianHawk

Country flag

So budget has provided 40778 cr for aircraft and aero engines.
That's about 5 Billion USD.
If this remains consistent over the years with minimal increase we are looking at 60 billion USD over 10 years for aircraft and aero engines.

What can we get for 60 billion USD over 10 years.
5 billion USD for 100 more lca mk1a.
20 billion USD for 100 rafale for IAF.
8 billion USD 84 super sukhoi upgrade.
10 billion USD for 100 lca mk2/ MWF.
6 billion USD for 26 rafale marine for navy.

Still leaves 11 billion USD for other aircrafta awacs , tankers , drones.

Then for the next 10 years this budget should easily be more than double 120-150 billion USD to procure amca , tedbf and whether comes after 2034.

NutCracker

Country flag

So budget has provided 40778 cr for aircraft and aero engines.
That's about 5 Billion USD.
If this remains consistent over the years with minimal increase we are looking at 60 billion USD over 10 years for aircraft and aero engines.

What can we get for 60 billion USD over 10 years.
5 billion USD for 100 more lca mk1a.
20 billion USD for 100 rafale for IAF.
8 billion USD 84 super sukhoi upgrade.
10 billion USD for 100 lca mk2/ MWF.
6 billion USD for 26 rafale marine for navy.

Still leaves 11 billion USD for other aircrafta awacs , tankers , drones.

Then for the next 10 years this budget should easily be more than double 120-150 billion USD to procure amca , tedbf and whether comes after 2034.
Is that only for CAPEX. or OPEX for engine parts also included ??
I think it's the latter..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles