India soon to be ready for any missile attack

Country flag
India soon to be ready for any missile attack - India News - IBNLive

New Delhi: India is likely to come up with a state of the art technology which will allow it to counter any missile attack. The new missile defence system is likely to be up and running in two years.

When Pakistan tested its 60-km range tactical nuclear missile, the Nasr, a few months ago, the message was clear, that it now had the weapon to block any Indian military thrust into Sindh or Punjab.

But Indian scientists say that a ground based ballistic missile defence system they are working on will take care of any missile challenge, whether from the Nasr or longer range missiles Pakistan has in its inventory.

Scientist VK Saraswat, "We can intercept these missiles at exo-atmospheric range, that is beyond 40 to 50 km in altitude and endo-atmospheric bracket, that is between 15 and 30 km. This gives us the capability to take care of missiles that are ballistic in nature which could be nuclear powered or non-nuclear powered."

But right now this is work in progress with more tests of the missile interceptor planned for this year. The development of the first phase will be complete only in 2013 and after that, the integration of ground systems into a seamless network will begin.

"Today all the building blocks of the BMD are in position. We have radars, command and control systems, mobile launchers and command and control decision making software. So as far as Phase One activities go, they are by and large complete," said Saraswat.

It's only in 2016 that work on the more ambitious second phase of the missile defence network will be complete and that is when the contours of India's space based missile defence network will be revealed.

(Follow IBNLive.com on Facebook and on Twitter for updates that you can share with your friends.)

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Again, why do we announce things so early???!!!!!
Just test the stuff and hope for the best.

Also,
We can intercept these missiles at exo-atmospheric range, that is beyond 40 to 50 km in altitude and endo-atmospheric bracket, that is between 15 and 30 km. This gives us the capability to take care of missiles that are ballistic in nature which could be nuclear powered or non-nuclear powered.
Is he talking of capabilities we already possess or we would when stage two is complete?

Country flag

Also,

Is he talking of capabilities we already possess or we would when stage two is complete?

I thinking he is talking about the PDV test??

plugwater

He is talking about the current capabilities. We can intercept till 80 km now, once PDV is tested we will have the capability to intercept till 150 km. PDV is similar to THAAD interceptors.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's part of letting the nation know what's happening with their defenses and what steps the govt is taking to defend the nation.

Chinese too have been harping on carrier killers etc. Bit of propaganda too I guess and also to make the enemy know what we are capable of.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
what the heck is this, our media.........sigh

This gives us the capability to take care of missiles that are ballistic in nature which could be nuclear powered or non-nuclear powered."

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
nitesh he meant which could be nuclear armed or non nuclear armed.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
nitesh he meant which could be nuclear armed or non nuclear armed.
Sir ji, you are right, I am just pointing out the state of affairs in our journalist community :D

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
given the experience of AAD and PAD, i say in one years time we can modify Akash missile to be used against Nasr, that will give our forces quick reaction mobile anti missile system.

I was also wondering if Pakistan, use Nasr in cold start and its is intercepted by Indian BMD, warhead fell on Pakistani troupes in defensive positions are we still going to nuke Pakistan ???

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir ji, you are right, I am just pointing out the state of affairs in our journalist community :D
nitesh sir most of them are only graduate, with no knowledge of defense. Those who have some knowledge about Defense are (not all) are knocking at the foreign arms companies.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
given the experience of AAD and PAD, i say in one years time we can modify Akash missile to be used against Nasr, that will give our forces quick reaction mobile anti missile system.

I was also wondering if Pakistan, use Nasr in cold start and its is intercepted by Indian BMD, warhead fell on Pakistani troupes in defensive positions are we still going to nuke Pakistan ???
Difficult. I don't think it will be possible because the time is less. I would rather suggest something like the Phalanx, the defense system against anti ship missile. If we come up with such a system, that would blunt Nasr.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Difficult. I don't think it will be possible because the time is less. I would rather suggest something like the Phalanx, the defense system against anti ship missile. If we come up with such a system, that would blunt Nasr.
yusuf, remember the Trishul missile, it has radar,

we can use that radar and Russian AK 630 naval gun,

made under licence by OFB
Ordnance Factory Board

Put both on T55 or T72 modified tank just like they did for Akash missile.

that way we dont have to rely on any foreign company or country for the same.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Well guess what, a system that I posted about to tackle Nasr exists. The US has a phalanx based system inducted just recently. Counter-RAM
well i found something this one is on truck

but with network centric operation and AWAC cover, AK630 with Trishual radar would be great if somehow it is put on tank.

Iamanidiot

The Paks won't use a tactic nissile on us.The Journails don't have the it to do that

plugwater

Yusuf, Phalanx or any other CIWS is useless against ballistic missile. Iron dome could do the trick.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, Phalanx or any other CIWS is useless against ballistic missile. Iron dome could do the trick.
I think it would work because 60kms is not a big range. The CRAM is used against rockets and Nasr is just like a rocket. Can easily be picked up by battlefield radars.

binayak95

Country flag
The DRDO has learnt to modify the BMP-2 for various purposes such as NBC Recce to NAMICA. So I think they should build a BMP-2 with the AK630 or any other CIWS to intercept short range ballistic missiles such as the nasr. It could also be used for general air defence against choppers and carrying troops.

plugwater

I think it would work because 60kms is not a big range. The CRAM is used against rockets and Nasr is just like a rocket. Can easily be picked up by battlefield radars.
It will still come down in supersonic speed. CIWS is not effective against anything that moves in supersonic speed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles