India Launched Surgical Strikes Across LoC: DGMO 29/09/2016

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@Razor @ezsasa @Sakal Gharelu Ustad and others. Look at this shit posted by RT. A clear shift is happening.
let's be fair in our expectations..... our modi bhai saab is showing clear intentions of shift into sphere of american influence. We can't expect russia to take it well.

Having said that, there are far too many leverages in india-russia relationship to go bust overnight. Even ONGC&Co has bought some stake in russian oil fields last month .

Let's see what happens during Modi-Putin meeting in dec 2016(i think)...

alphacentury

Country flag
let's be fair in our expectations..... our modi bhai saab is showing clear intentions of shift into sphere of american influence. We can't expect russia to take it well.

Having said that, there are far too many leverages in india-russia relationship to go bust overnight. Even ONGC&Co has bought some stake in russian oil fields last month .

Let's see what happens during Modi-Putin meeting in dec 2016(i think)...
Disagree, this is just absurd. We never made any move that would hurt them directly. We still make massive deals with them. And we stood by them whenever required. Anti India news i can understand, but this is out rightly siding with our enemies.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Disagree, this is just absurd. We never made any move that would hurt them directly. We still make massive deals with them. And we stood by them whenever required. Anti India news i can understand, but this is out rightly siding with our enemies.
Why do you care so much? Russia is regarded as a failed banana republic in the West. It wouldn't even matter if they signed a mutual defence treaty with Pak tomorrow.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Russian would be idiots to offend India overtly. India still buys 40% of their total arms exports and then there are future deals in the pipeline.
Even as India moves toward US it has understood Russian proximity to china. India knows that china is too important for Russia to neglect on India's behalf. Russia should learn the same . US is too important for India to neglect . That's a balanced sum. But bringing Pakistan into fold has no such logic involved . It's literally Russians getting overboard.
India needs to minimize it's dependance on Russia in future. They seem to have accepted a world order where china reigns supreme and we can never accept that. This fundamental ideological shift will be very hard to overcome no matter how much goodwill there is.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Russian would be idiots to offend India overtly. India still buys 40% of their total arms exports and then there are future deals in the pipeline.
Even as India moves toward US it has understood Russian proximity to china. India knows that china is too important for Russia to neglect on India's behalf. Russia should learn the same . US is too important for India to neglect . That's a balanced sum. But bringing Pakistan into fold has no such logic involved . It's literally Russians getting overboard.
India needs to minimize it's dependance on Russia in future. They seem to have accepted a world order where china reigns supreme and we can never accept that. This fundamental ideological shift will be very hard to overcome no matter how much goodwill there is.
:hmm:

Can India replace this 40% (I don't know if this is the right figure, but I'll go with it) in say a decade with Western imports?
MRCA or whatever it is called now (don't remember, I was still in school, now have job) took well over a decade for a measly 126 aircraft which has now become 36.
India's indigenous development is also sucking ass, considering that everyone wants foreign-maal. Looks like we are hooked.

Also Russian understand geo-politics much better than indians; look at the past. Just saying.

DingDong

Country flag
Absolutely, Russia's bonhomie with Pakistan is a clear case of interference in our backyard.

This is a shame that even after more than 60 years of independence we are forced to purchase foreign equipment to meet our defense needs, all thanks to the Lutyens dalaals.

Can India replace this 40% (I don't know if this is the right figure, but I'll go with it) in say a decade with Western imports?
MRCA or whatever it is called now (don't remember, I was still in school, now have job) took well over a decade for a measly 126 aircraft which has now become 36.
India's indigenous development is also sucking ass, considering that everyone wants foreign-maal. Looks like we are hooked.

Also Russian understand geo-politics much better than indians; look at the past. Just saying.
Don't agree that Russians are experts in geopolitics. Had that been the case USSR would have been intact and Russia would not have manage to loose an important ally like India.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Absolutely, Russia's bonhomie with Pakistan is a clear case of interference in our backyard.

This is a shame that even after more than 60 years of independence we are forced to purchase foreign equipment to meet our defense needs, all thanks to the Lutyens dalaals.
Yes.
Don't agree that Russians are experts in geopolitics. Had that been the case USSR would have been intact and Russia would not have manage to loose an important ally like India.
It is a different topic, but USSR was not collapsed because of lack of understanding of geopolitics, but because of a confluence of factors, some internal, many external (read USA.) It was a game of geopolitics and the USA won, doesn't mean russia is bad at geopolitics, they just didn't have a strong hand to play with.
Most people also forget that USA's father (not-so-great-now) Britain played a full century of "The Great Game" with the russians. That was also a game of geopolitics, it ended in stale-mate.

The solution for india is to indigenize, plain and simple. Okay, not simple but plain.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag

No perhaps it can't. But can Russia find such a huge market where it is the preferred choice . Even if India drops it share by 10% that would create serious disruption into Russian mic . China is almost self sufficient and Pakistan almost bankrupt.
Funny thing is that Chinese will undercut Russian weapon sale in their shared sphere of influence :biggrin2:
Like I pointed out before it's not just arms deal . But a Russia that supports chinese lead world can not be a Russia that India can trust or always tag along with??

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
The solution for india is to indigenize, plain and simple. Okay, not simple but plain.
Indigenization degree increased from 25% to 40%. May be 50% very soon. Parrikar says he can bring it to 70% by 2020.

Defense exports doubled from $150 millions to $330 millions. If Government achieves target to export weapons worth $2 billions in next 2 years; India will be among top 5 exporters of weapons.:biggrin2:
Yes, Russia will face hard time here too. Keep watching.
No perhaps it can't. But can Russia find such a huge market where it is the preferred choice . Even if India drops it share by 10% that would create serious disruption into Russian mic . China is almost self sufficient and Pakistan almost bankrupt.
Funny thing is that Chinese will undercut Russian weapon sale in their shared sphere of influence :biggrin2:
Like I pointed out before it's not just arms deal . But a Russia that supports chinese lead world can not be a Russia that India can trust or always tag along with??

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Yes, that's what I meant.
If things go the same direction, russia will have difficulty getting new customers because india will be finding new sellers to buy from; both are processes happening in parallel.
Russia's options are a plethora of countries in Africa and South America, which if taken together might be able to replace or at least come near the value of the arms sales b/w russia & india.
For india, if relations with russia fully break down, the only choice is the USA/EU, which gives USA an advantage in negotiations.

Yes, russia's alliance with china is one of convenience. Both russia and china understand this.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Indigenization degree increased from 25% to 40%. May be 50% very soon. Parrikar says he can bring it to 70% by 2020.

Defense exports doubled from $150 millions to $330 millions. If Government achieves target to export weapons worth $2 billions in next 2 years; India will be among top 5 exporters of weapons.:biggrin2:
Yes, Russia will face hard time here too. Keep watching.
It's a good thing for india if indigenization increases. But it has to increase in critical tech.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
It's a good thing for india if indigenization increases. But it has to increase in critical tech.
Need to catch up in aviation. It's going well on Naval and ground based weapons and Radars.
If things go the same direction, russia will have difficulty getting new customers because india will be finding new sellers to buy from; both are processes happening in parallel.
Russia's options are a plethora of countries in Africa and South America, which if taken together might be able to replace or at least come near the value of the arms sales b/w russia & india.
For india, if relations with russia fully break down, the only choice is the USA/EU, which gives USA an advantage in negotiations.

Yes, russia's alliance with china is one of convenience. Both russia and china understand this.
Well, with $1 billions defense export annually, India can itself be a significant seller and look even India's major markets are Latin America and Africa.:p

Global Defence

New threads

Articles