India Cold Start Doctrine and Pakistan's Tactical Nukes

Arsalan123

Would you please stop it @Arsalan123 and not convert the "Cold Start" into Arsalan restaurant or a dish serving Dhaba !.

I am presenting a case how India is going to show Pakistan their place on earth and you are derailing the thread.
But you are indulging in "Gup Shup" showing your interest and level of concern.

Ok I will present a case to you.

Eight Indian IBG (Division size all arms force with minimum one armoured Brigade of four regiments) supported by Apaches, Mi-24 / Mi-35, one battalion helidrop capability, Complete IAF, lots of bridging and track equipment, 100 gun 60 km long 155 artillery, 120 km PINAKA rockets, 50 km Smerch, Brahmos, Prahar and Nirbhaya are on their way into Pakistan like this -

1 One IBG towards Skardu.
2. One IBG on to Hajipir and Kotali.
3. One IBG into Punch bulge to link up at Kotali.
4. One IBG toward Multan.
5 One IBG North of Lahore.
6. One IBG South of Lahore.
7. One IBG on to Sulemanki and Bahawalpur.
8. One IBG toward Rahim Yar Khan.

Three four strike Corps sitting in launch areas.

Now tell me how many Nasars you have ? Chinese can give unlimit missiles and warheads.
How many will you employ and where all. What will be their effect on Pakistan itself?
Are those sufficient to stop eight IBG.
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be into and in the shadow of Pakistani population centers. Will you use Nasar ?
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be into and in the shadow of Pakistani Canal Network and water bodies. . Will you use Nasar and destroy Pakistan for ever ?
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be in contact with Pakistan forces of different sizes. Will you use Nasar and kill your troops ?
Where is the space to launch Nasar - not in J&K from where you drink the water and eat Gandum grown from that water...
Does Pakistan has minimum eight to twelve brigade size reserves to react to eight IBG. If not will Pakistan denude their defenses and open big holes for Indians to insert (you know what)?
If I grant you two places what out of the above will you save?
If out of eight India is able to capture and keep sitting at four places would not all generals in Pindi have to commit suicide ?

Without answering above questions, do not participate any further.
can you specify number of indian soldiers in one ibg,one regiment and one armored brigade? i will reply you if you tell me the number of soldiers.this looks like huge force.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Some more Anti Tank elementsView attachment 35195 View attachment 35196 View attachment 35197 View attachment 35198 View attachment 35199
SANT is also slated to be armed on Rustom 2, currently sounds like not so believable but is on the agenda
View attachment 35200
What is the use of Photos and images ??.

Where is ALH..??

Where is MPATGM ??

NAMICA is a specific and special role BMP-2 Vehicle meant for Recce and Support. They do not remain functional ICV but a special A/Tk weapon platform. It is a "Lock On Before launch" missile which means the firer has to acquire target before he fires his missile. Though the stated range of the missile is 7km, it would not be able to fire at 7 km as the target can not be visually acquired at that range. Hence, range is limited. Its minimum range is also a problem being 700 meters which ideally should have been between 50 -150 meters. It costs $500000/- per unit and still to enter Service.
HELINA and MPATGM is under development since donkey's years.
Where are ALH ?
Where is replacement for Konkurs ?
Where is replacement for MILAN-II and other man portable missiles ?

Army does not need photos but systems in their hand.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
can you specify number of indian soldiers in one ibg,one regiment and one armored brigade? i will reply you if you tell me the number of soldiers.this looks like huge force.
Force level has been listed.
If you do not know or not able to estimate that, I think, there is no use participating in the thred. Take it as 7000 - 8000 troops spread over a 12km X 15 km area - maximum concentration will be around the suburb Burki at the outskirts of Lahore at any given time, in between three successive canals where water will be flowing fully. Your forces are also rushing towards this area to stop Indian forces.

Now, how, where and when will you launch your Nasar ? I hope you will not say that you will launch it on your Canals or on your Towns ?

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
What is the use of Photos and images ??.

Where is ALH..??

Where is MPATGM ??

NAMICA is a specific and special role BMP-2 Vehicle meant for Recce and Support. They do not remain functional ICV but a special A/Tk weapon platform. It is a "Lock On Before launch" missile which means the firer has to acquire target before he fires his missile. Though the stated range of the missile is 7km, it would not be able to fire at 7 km as the target can not be visually acquired at that range. Hence, range is limited. Its minimum range is also a problem being 700 meters which ideally should have been between 50 -150 meters. It costs $500000/- per unit and still to enter Service.
HELINA and MPATGM is under development since donkey's years.
Where are ALH ?
Where is replacement for Konkurs ?
Where is replacement for MILAN-II and other man portable missiles ?

Army does not need photos but systems in their hand.
I generally don't respond to derail the thread but seriously 50 -100m minimum range to fire atgm ,if an enemy tank is 50m near you then you are probably out of the game as we say might as well go world war 1 style and put a sticky bomb on the tank's turret:crazy: and please direct you anger on babudom elsewhere ,i am not a babu and for target acquisition we have searcher and herons and in few years Rustom and maybe an American one too

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I generally don't respond to derail the thread but seriously 50 -100m minimum range to fire atgm ,if an enemy tank is 50m near you then you are probably out of the game as we say might as well go world war 1 style and put a sticky bomb on the tank's turret:crazy: and please direct you anger on babudom elsewhere ,i am not a babu and for target acquisition we have searcher and herons and in few years Rustom and maybe an American one too
It is fine and Ok. What I meant was that those things are no where on ground but in photos only.
However 700m as the minimum range is not OK,
What makes you think that IA is going to battle on a table top where a tank will be visible at 7 km. It is beyond the eyes and in built sight. Even if it is flat- there is something called curvature of earth. So 7 km range for NAMICA has no meaning. 3-4 km is OK.

Mother earth is mostly undulating even in plains. Besides there are other terrain characteristics such as trees, bushes, houses, other structures, drains etc which can hide a tank very well. Now you detect a tank when it is barely 500m away from you in turret down position. Now the tank need not fire. It will shub. his gun up the NAMICA with all pleasures. 700m uncovered is too much.

Take another situation, that the NAMIKA is behind an emplacement and the tanks appears 1 km away. Namika fires but misses. The tank takes evasive action, gets into a dead ground and approaches towards the emplacement. The tank is 700 m away and NAMIKa is dead. What a situation.

An Anti tank weapon must be able to engage a tank at 100m away from it. if not less
I have discussed this issue at length somewhere else.
Suffice to say that NAMICA is a ground weapon and nor aerial missile where 700m is OK and justifiable

About Target search and acquisition -
Do we have any UAV which can search, detect and then acquire a tank and then direct NAG fired from NAMICA on to that tank like apache,? Do we have such a data link. Can we make this dedicated resources for NAMIKA?
We are not discussing theory here. Tell me what is there on the ground ??

What will be the cost of effective NAMICA fired missile if it needs a 24 X7 all weather UAVs to make it fire a missile ? How many equipment and people be dedicated to make a NAMICA fire? Then we might as well fire NAG from UAV and burry NAMICA.

The logic being applied is like this - make use of UAV, aircrafts, helicopters and satellites to enable NAMICA to fire but do not improve NAMICA and enable to fire on its own effectively !

Make NAMICA 4km, provide it sight and other sensors to fire at 4 km and close minimum range to 50-100 m.

NAMICA is behind a canal oh home bank fully protected and a tank is moving in front of it on far bank at 100 m distance and NAMICA is having a fun. Not acceptable.

Anand Bimraj

Would you please stop it @Arsalan123 and not convert the "Cold Start" into Arsalan restaurant or a dish serving Dhaba !.

I am presenting a case how India is going to show Pakistan their place on earth and you are derailing the thread.
But you are indulging in "Gup Shup" showing your interest and level of concern.

Ok I will present a case to you.

Eight Indian IBG (Division size all arms force with minimum one armoured Brigade of four regiments) supported by Apaches, Mi-24 / Mi-35, one battalion helidrop capability, Complete IAF, lots of bridging and track equipment, 100 gun 60 km long 155 artillery, 120 km PINAKA rockets, 50 km Smerch, Brahmos, Prahar and Nirbhaya are on their way into Pakistan like this -

1 One IBG towards Skardu.
2. One IBG on to Hajipir and Kotali.
3. One IBG into Punch bulge to link up at Kotali.
4. One IBG toward Multan.
5 One IBG North of Lahore.
6. One IBG South of Lahore.
7. One IBG on to Sulemanki and Bahawalpur.
8. One IBG toward Rahim Yar Khan.

Three four strike Corps sitting in launch areas.

Now tell me how many Nasars you have ? Chinese can give unlimit missiles and warheads.

How many will you employ and where all. What will be their effect on Pakistan itself?
Are those sufficient to stop eight IBG.
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be into and in the shadow of Pakistani population centers. Will you use Nasar ?
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be into and in the shadow of Pakistani Canal Network and water bodies. . Will you use Nasar and destroy Pakistan for ever ?
Once into Pakistan, Indian IBGs will be in contact with Pakistan forces of different sizes. Will you use Nasar and kill your troops ?
Where is the space to launch Nasar - not in J&K from where you drink the water and eat Gandum grown from that water...
Does Pakistan has minimum eight to twelve brigade size reserves to react to eight IBG. If not will Pakistan denude their defenses and open big holes for Indians to insert (you know what)?
If I grant you two places what out of the above will you save?
If out of eight India is able to capture and keep sitting at four places would not all generals in Pindi have to commit suicide ?

Without answering above questions, do not participate any further.
a cursory look at Indian military hardware reveals major deficiencies and capability gaps that would hinder the current execution of large-scale offensive operations against Pakistan.Army still lacks a sufficient number of operational MBTArjun MK-I main battle tanks are currently grounded due to various technical problems and missing spare partsFurthermore, the Indian Army lacks self-propelled tracked howitzers for close artillery support. Only in May 2017 did the Indian Ministry of Defense decide to go ahead with the purchase of the first batch of 100 modified K-9 Vajra 155 mm/52 caliber guns. Overall, the Indian Army will need at least 250 self-propelled guns for its strike corps.In addition, the army lacks advanced mobile air defense systems to cover the advance of armored forces.
Even more critically, the Indian military has been suffering from a chronic ammunition shortage for the past two decades. Current ammunition levels would only last for about 10 days of high intensity war. The Indian Ministry of Defense has taken steps to address this problem, by, for example, purchasing 66,000 anti-tank shells from Russia in 2014, but new ammunition is only slowly trickling in to replenish depleted stocks. The Indian Army continues to lack 68,000 anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) of various types and around 850 launchers.
Additionally, the Indian Air Force currently lacks the close-air support capability necessary for swift armored thrusts into Pakistani territory.
Pakistan has taken the threat of CSD seriously, building up its tactical nuclear weapons arsenal on the one hand and shoring up its conventional military response on the other. In response to CSD, the Pakistan military has also adopted a so-called New Concept of War Fighting (NCWF)in order to improve interservice coordination and reduce the mobilization time for the Pakistan Army. Some Indian analysts worry that Pakistan at this stage can mobilize faster than India as a result of NCWF.

garg_bharat

Country flag
a cursory look at Indian military hardware reveals major deficiencies and capability gaps that would hinder the current execution of large-scale offensive operations against Pakistan.Army still lacks a sufficient number of operational MBTArjun MK-I main battle tanks are currently grounded due to various technical problems and missing spare partsFurthermore, the Indian Army lacks self-propelled tracked howitzers for close artillery support. Only in May 2017 did the Indian Ministry of Defense decide to go ahead with the purchase of the first batch of 100 modified K-9 Vajra 155 mm/52 caliber guns. Overall, the Indian Army will need at least 250 self-propelled guns for its strike corps.In addition, the army lacks advanced mobile air defense systems to cover the advance of armored forces.
Even more critically, the Indian military has been suffering from a chronic ammunition shortage for the past two decades. Current ammunition levels would only last for about 10 days of high intensity war. The Indian Ministry of Defense has taken steps to address this problem, by, for example, purchasing 66,000 anti-tank shells from Russia in 2014, but new ammunition is only slowly trickling in to replenish depleted stocks. The Indian Army continues to lack 68,000 anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) of various types and around 850 launchers.
Additionally, the Indian Air Force currently lacks the close-air support capability necessary for swift armored thrusts into Pakistani territory.
Pakistan has taken the threat of CSD seriously, building up its tactical nuclear weapons arsenal on the one hand and shoring up its conventional military response on the other. In response to CSD, the Pakistan military has also adopted a so-called New Concept of War Fighting (NCWF)in order to improve interservice coordination and reduce the mobilization time for the Pakistan Army. Some Indian analysts worry that Pakistan at this stage can mobilize faster than India as a result of NCWF.
Indians are very good in worrying. Your article is an epitome of that.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Pakistan has taken the threat of CSD seriously, building up its tactical nuclear weapons arsenal on the one hand and shoring up its conventional military response on the other.
But in case of deployment of IBG, Pakistan will convert itself into a radiography site.

May be it has realized what could happen. That's why its begging for "peace".

garg_bharat

Country flag
But in case of deployment of IBG, Pakistan will convert itself into a radiography site.

May be it has realized what could happen. That's why its begging for "peace".
Boss military people in USA and USSR witnessed large number of overground tests from rather close distance and did not die from it.

A lot depends on size of the blast and protection. I believe military prepares for working under nuclear conditions.

I disagree that Pakistan will use tactical nukes. It is rather highly unlikely. At the same time an Indian invasion is also highly unlikely.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Boss military people in USA and USSR witnessed large number of overground tests from rather close distance and did not die from it.

A lot depends on size of the blast and protection. I believe military prepares for working under nuclear conditions.
No, they relatively had much larger landmass and used to controlled nuclear tests, yet suffered fallouts. Not a war, that even around population.
I disagree that Pakistan will use tactical nukes. It is rather highly unlikely.
It's suicidal simply.
At the same time an Indian invasion is also highly unlikely.
Indian invasion depends upon pre-assessment of losses and international pressure.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You have correctly identified most of the existing problems.

The good news is that Pakistan is also bedevilled with similar problems and they are also struggling with all those

Tracked SP guns are probably not going to be big problem due to increased range of 155mm artillery which can support own forces upto 38 - 45 km I do not expect an IBG to go beyond 30 km inside Pakistan. Every vital objective in Pakistan is within 30 km from the border.

Tracked SP guns are required mostly for the desert sectors. A maximum of two IBGs can be expected to be employed in that sector. Indian orders for 100 SP guns would make minimum five artillery regiments.
SP artillery support for strike Corps will be required at subsequent stages when opportunities open for their employment created by Cold Start operations of IBG Five SP artillery regiments are enough to support operations of three IBG and subsequently for one strike corps in desert sector. Five SP regiments will be able to support two major thrust lines (two SP regiments for each thrust line) and one SP regiment for flank / independent thrust line of an independent armoured brigade. 45 km range means all five regiments will be able to support any thrust line together.

Indian artillery seems to be poised to get over their "deep fire" and "fire maneuvers" problems.

For other areas, mounted gun regiments would be good enough, more flexible and economical.

India's main problem appears to be in the field of A/tk missiles where DRDO must be unequivocally told to deliver or get aside. I think enough is enough.

India is also looking forward to the problems of AD support to IBGs.

In terms of tanks, Arjun is a junk. T-90 are sufficient and good for a dash into Pakistan.

Things are getting within hand but for OFB / DRDO and MoD Babudom. Indian Forces have to get over these "obstructive" agencies for any meaningful operations. The new govt in Delhi must get rid of those behemoths. They are experts in making everything else what is not required for operational purposes by Army but nothing that is vital to Indian Army. A basic rifle for example.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
About Target search and acquisition -
Do we have any UAV which can search, detect and then acquire a tank and then direct NAG fired from NAMICA on to that tank like apache,? Do we have such a data link. Can we make this dedicated resources for NAMIKA?
We are not discussing theory here. Tell me what is there on the ground ??
Screenshot_20190520-152024.png
Screenshot_20190520-152031.png
Screenshot_20190520-152037.png
26459161405.jpg
images - 2019-05-20T151825.739.jpeg

BFSR can even detect a crawling man 700m beyond and detect a heavy vehicle 14km beyond

Defcon 1

Country flag
I remember reading the article and laughing from where this BS was copied. Was written by some American. The false flagger here is taking this article as an opportunity to sow doubts in minds of Indians. I don't understand why these are ashamed to show their true flags. Ashamed of their country maybe.

Defcon 1

Country flag
You have correctly identified most of the existing problems.

The good news is that Pakistan is also bedevilled with similar problems and they are also struggling with all those

Tracked SP guns are probably not going to be big problem due to increased range of 155mm artillery which can support own forces upto 38 - 45 km I do not expect an IBG to go beyond 30 km inside Pakistan. Every vital objective in Pakistan is within 30 km from the border.

Tracked SP guns are required mostly for the desert sectors. A maximum of two IBGs can be expected to be employed in that sector. Indian orders for 100 SP guns would make minimum five artillery regiments.
SP artillery support for strike Corps will be required at subsequent stages when opportunities open for their employment created by Cold Start operations of IBG Five SP artillery regiments are enough to support operations of three IBG and subsequently for one strike corps in desert sector. Five SP regiments will be able to support two major thrust lines (two SP regiments for each thrust line) and one SP regiment for flank / independent thrust line of an independent armoured brigade. 45 km range means all five regiments will be able to support any thrust line together.

Indian artillery seems to be poised to get over their "deep fire" and "fire maneuvers" problems.

For other areas, mounted gun regiments would be good enough, more flexible and economical.

India's main problem appears to be in the field of A/tk missiles where DRDO must be unequivocally told to deliver or get aside. I think enough is enough.

India is also looking forward to the problems of AD support to IBGs.

In terms of tanks, Arjun is a junk. T-90 are sufficient and good for a dash into Pakistan.

Things are getting within hand but for OFB / DRDO and MoD Babudom. Indian Forces have to get over these "obstructive" agencies for any meaningful operations. The new govt in Delhi must get rid of those behemoths. They are experts in making everything else what is not required for operational purposes by Army but nothing that is vital to Indian Army. A basic rifle for example.
sir don't fall into the trap. It is not his analysis. He simply copied from this article.
https://thediplomat.com/2019/01/is-the-indian-military-capable-of-executing-the-cold-start-doctrine/

He is simply a false flagger trying to sow doubts into the minds of Indians

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
I remember reading the article and laughing from where this BS was copied. Was written by some American. The false flagger here is taking this article as an opportunity to sow doubts in minds of Indians. I don't understand why these are ashamed to show their true flags. Ashamed of their country maybe.
Yup he is porki ,his previous posts gives an indication ,from Al baki army general to aam Abdul everyone wants to put 'cold water ' on cold start as their Paki general said ,because they genuinely fear cold start and now called IBGs , porki army is so stretched and in fatigue that there are in no position to fight the war or even a small skirmish on LoC .

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
IBG will have 5 or 6 infantry battalions each with 900-1000 men.Basically a double strength brigade.It will have mechanized infantry regiment as well as artillery regiment/brigade.And engineers as well as army aviation gunships.
This will be supported by an armour regiment(45 tanks) or in important thrust sectors an armoured brigade (2-3 armour regiments).Just for information an armoured division has 3 armoured brigades.The 3 armoured divisions of IA are embedded in 3 strike corps which all have a smerch regiment as well as brahmos regiment in their integral artillery division.
Among these one strike corps 'sabre' corps will be now forward deployed just behind IBGs..idea is to have dozens of sector specific IBGs but 7-8 real assault formations which can attack all along the axis stretching pak defenses and reaction to the limit with shallow thrusts of 10-20 kms into pak territory which will later be used as bargaining chip for terrorist handover. When pak formations react to these shallow thrusts and counterattack it will open up gaps which the forward deployed strike corps will exploit with a view not to conquer territory but to cause max damage in man and material to PA.The other 2 strike corps form strategic reserve and final wave of reinforcement.

It will still take india 3-4 years to get all the necessary equipment( new rifles,k9 vajra,Mrsam and qrsam,biho,rafales,s400, apaches, lch,2000 t-90 tanks) as well as validating the concept and doing reorganizing for it go go operational.So dont worry no cold start before 2023..only coldwave.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
View attachment 35235 View attachment 35236 View attachment 35237 View attachment 35238 View attachment 35239
BFSR can even detect a crawling man 700m beyond and detect a heavy vehicle 14km beyond
What ever you have shown does not complete the OODA loop. These all make observation in target zone and Orient the firer towards the target . After that he has no wherewithal to decide and act.

Namica if integrated with above systems can be aware of the target and told about the area, direction, speed etc but who will acquire, fix and fire on the target. Namica has no system to detect, identify, acquire, fix and then fire on the target at 7km. The guidance system is based on "Lock before Launch". So if I am not able to see and identify the target how can I lock on it? Hence it has reduced range. If the firer is not able to lock on target beyond 3 km, then should one have a heavy missile carrying explosive to go upto 7 km and making the missile 40 kgs ?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Yup he is porki ,his previous posts gives an indication ,from Al baki army general to aam Abdul everyone wants to put 'cold water ' on cold start as their Paki general said ,because they genuinely fear cold start and now called IBGs , porki army is so stretched and in fatigue that there are in no position to fight the war or even a small skirmish on LoC .
Let him come out with Pakistani arguments and logic.
It is not that Pakistani Army is absolutely in shape, modernised and poised for "Cold Start". We know their state, equipment profile and ready to defeat whatever they have.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
IBG will have 5 or 6 infantry battalions each with 900-1000 men.Basically a double strength brigade.It will have mechanized infantry regiment as well as artillery regiment/brigade.And engineers as well as army aviation gunships.
This will be supported by an armour regiment(45 tanks) or in important thrust sectors an armoured brigade (2-3 armour regiments).Just for information an armoured division has 3 armoured brigades.The 3 armoured divisions of IA are embedded in 3 strike corps which all have a smerch regiment as well as brahmos regiment in their integral artillery division.
Among these one strike corps 'sabre' corps will be now forward deployed just behind IBGs..idea is to have dozens of sector specific IBGs but 7-8 real assault formations which can attack all along the axis stretching pak defenses and reaction to the limit with shallow thrusts of 10-20 kms into pak territory which will later be used as bargaining chip for terrorist handover. When pak formations react to these shallow thrusts and counterattack it will open up gaps which the forward deployed strike corps will exploit with a view not to conquer territory but to cause max damage in man and material to PA.The other 2 strike corps form strategic reserve and final wave of reinforcement.

It will still take india 3-4 years to get all the necessary equipment( new rifles,k9 vajra,Mrsam and qrsam,biho,rafales,s400, apaches, lch,2000 t-90 tanks) as well as validating the concept and doing reorganizing for it go go operational.So dont worry no cold start before 2023..only coldwave.
CAOS Gen Bipin Rawat has clarified that there is no fit all size organisation of IBGs. Those will be flexible, mission oriented and sector specific. There be one IBG with one Infantry brigade while the other one may be two infantry brigades. There would be tanks where they are not required or not employable.

Indian Army has to go and destroy Pakistani Army and it is fit and ready for that task in spite of all deficiencies and delays in induction of futurist technologies / equipment.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles