India Cancels Talks with Pakistan

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
So does the difference between the GDP PPP and GDP real has something to do with the inflation of $? @ladder

Last edited by a moderator:

Defcon 1

Country flag
@Defcon 1

PPP is a static value, you shouldn't calculate it's growth value.

The above is the definition of economic growth.

====================
Source of both wiki.

So there is no term called Growth rate GDP (PPP).

Hope you understand.

You can verify it with the professor concerned.

@Mad Indian.
There is.
GDP per capita, PPP (current international $) | Data | Table
This link gives the list of actual GDPs (PPP). Look the change in India's GDP in 2013 over previous year. Its 5%, same as what I gave in the previous WB link. Check the same for any country you want. Let me know if I am wrong.

Reactions: Neo

ladder

Country flag
But you can get an idea of how much PPP per capita has increased by GDP real growth right. Both are more or less similiar as both take into account the effect of inflation into account. Am I missin something?
Yes you can but, the PPP value for each years is calculated based on different factors,

The basic being tradable and non tradable substance.

If I give you an example often cited here that Defense budget of India is 40 billion dollars.

And the PPP is probably say 120 Billion dollars.

BUt, it really doesn't mean that you have equal spending to a country with 120 billion $ annual defense budget.

So what factors are in play?

1. how much indigenous content you purchase. Because Imported items would not have PPP values but absolute values.

So if you have OP/CP of 50% that you spend 50% on buying new products and

CASE 1, you buy 100% from abroad.

So your real value is

60 billion [OP ex] + 20 billion new imported product = 80 billion equivalent.

So with 50% of foreign stuff 100 billion dollar equivalent

and with 100% indigenous stuff 120 billion dollars.

So, the effect is different.

PPP depends upon different variables, so it is calculated for a certain year and if required the extrapolation is dome by the formula I has quoted in a previous reply above.

If today Oil is discovered in India and we reduce dependence on external crude, our PPP index will increase.

Labor is only a factor, but the most vital one.
========================

Hey, I have very limited knowledge of Economics, so please pardon me.

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There is.
This link gives the list of actual GDPs (PPP). Look the change in India's GDP in 2013 over previous year. Its 5%, same as what I gave in the previous WB link. Check the same for any country you want. Let me know if I am wrong.
The differemce between GDP Real and GDP PPP will become apparant only when we compare the statistic over a long term, I think.

ladder

Country flag
There is.
Ask your professor and honestly report back to me.

Ask him, what I have stated. Including the above two quotes.

Since global PPP estimates —such as those provided by the ICP— are not calculated annually, but for a single year.
Economic growth is the increase in the market value of the goods and services produced by an economy over time. It is conventionally measured as the percent rate of increase in real gross domestic product, or real GDP.
It will be beneficial for both of us.

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Yes you can but, the PPP value for each years is calculated based on different factors,

The basic being tradable and non tradable substance.

If I give you an example often cited here that Defense budget of India is 40 billion dollars.

And the PPP is probably say 120 Billion dollars.

BUt, it really doesn't mean that you have equal spending to a country with 120 billion $ annual defense budget.

So what factors are in play?

1. how much indigenous content you purchase. Because Imported items would not have PPP values but absolute values.

So if you have OP/CP of 50% that you spend 50% on buying new products and

CASE 1, you buy 100% from abroad.

So your real value is

60 billion [OP ex] + 20 billion new imported product = 80 billion equivalent.

So with 50% of foreign stuff 100 billion dollar equivalent

and with 100% indigenous stuff 120 billion dollars.

So, the effect is different.

PPP depends upon different variables, so it is calculated for a certain year and if required the extrapolation is dome by the formula I has quoted in a previous reply above.

If today Oil is discovered in India and we reduce dependence on external crude, our PPP index will increase.

Labor is only a factor, but the most vital one.
========================

Hey, I have very limited knowledge of Economics, so please pardon me.
I think I have got it now, if in a vague sense ... thanks

Defcon 1

Country flag
Ask your professor and honestly report back to me.

Ask him, what I have stated. Including the above two quotes.

It will be beneficial for both of us.
There is nothing to ask. You are being carried by a couple of quotes which were written in a particular context. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. Anyways since I am not taking any economics course anymore, your wish cannot be fulfilled.

Compersion

Country flag
So Pakistan Army only doing all that drama against Sharif because they are jealous of Indo-Israeli relationship ?
It is not the primary reason but its there in the background. Accidental perhaps but valid. What's stopping imran khan from coming to power (the army is planning it - and what happens after the sharif) and he has a dynamic profile and support(er) base. I won't be surprised if it is not a parameter in the paki army enthusiasm and prospect of disturbing india Israel relationship is in the column of reinforcement for such support . Don't you agree ...

I believe you know what I am trying to say :namaste:

Neo

Hi @Neo

===================

Share your valuable inputs here.
Thanks but I will sit this one out while enjoying the debate.

Infractions and bans without a solid reason are only a post away in my case so what's the use of debating anyways? :)

Neo

Btw, quite refreshing to see a good debate between the three of you. All raised valid points and questions.
One thing I missed is that no one paid attention ti the CPI factor which is usually updated every 5 years by most of the countries. In Pakistan's case, IIRC our CPI was last updated under Musharraf in 2004/05.

CPI plays an important role in calculation of the GDP growth based on a simple formula of dividing the economic output of the current year by the previous year. It does not translate into actual CPI difference between the years.
GDP in PPP terms gives you a more realistic value or economic mass based on actual currency rate of the running FY.

For developping countries it often means that GDP in PPP terms shows higher growth.

Last edited:

PaliwalWarrior

Again, you have failed to bring out any point to back your view but you are continuing the same old sarcastic crap which makes you look like a 9 year old kid. You may continue. I don't need approval from 9 year olds dreaming about balkanization of Pakistan to support my view. Ex Indian diplomats already agree with me. So I know that I am right.
yes those ex indian diplomats have been doing the same old thing all these years & look at what they have achieved in all these eyars

PaliwalWarrior

Again, as I said, your opinion about me doesn't matter. Indian diplomats have been doing for years whatever they wanted and trolls like you have been reduced to trolling on DFI. So nobody actually cares about your take on Indian diplomats.
yes that has been the problem

" Indian diplomats have been doing for years whatever they wanted"

from now on they will do what the govts want

ladder

Country flag
Btw, quite refreshing to see a good debate between the three of you. All raised valid points and questions.
One thing I missed is that no one paid attention ti the CPI factor which is usually updated every 5 years by most of the countries. In Pakistan's case, IIRC our CPI was last updated under Musharraf in 2004/05.

CPI plays an important role in calculation of the GDP growth based on a simple formula of dividing the economic output of the current year by the previous year. It does not translate into actual CPI difference between the years.
GDP in PPP terms gives you a more realistic value or economic mass based on actual currency rate of the running FY.

For developping countries it often means that GDP in PPP terms shows higher growth.
CPI- Consumer Price Index and GDP deflator are two things I didn't get into. But in practice the two wouldn't give much different value isn't it?

pkroyal

Good riddance to a bad joke

Paki the wasteland, where the Govt is funked
Mia Nawaz is about to be junked
Allah, America & Army the chant
They can't get over their Kashmir rant

Now a former playboy ( Imran) & cleric in league
Contorted, idea defying,level of intrigue
Who gets to rule the vast waste lands
Tribals, Taliban or Terror brigands !!

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Such a step isn't really possible from what I understand. This was not a phone call or a clandestine meeting.

Remember Sharif's entire energies are focussed on resolving Islamabad fiasco, and he perhaps wanted to scuttle the talks. Both sides decided on this little game, to scuttle the talks. Pakistan signalling to the Pakistanis that no compromise on Kashmir, Indian that Kashmiri separatists are not a party to this talk.

PS: Don't forget Sharif came to Modi's swearing in, and Modi wished Pakistan on its independence day, means there is a thaw.
No there was never a thaw. I saw it coming.

Shariff miscalculated Imran, he saw his agitation fizzling out in a day so him being not ready for secretary level talks with India is not accurate.

When Congress-I supporters and like of Manish Tiwari were trolling Modi on his invite of Sharrif, I was laughing at their naivety.

Modi has been never so predictable like he is since D day of his becoming PM.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Such a step isn't really possible from what I understand. This was not a phone call or a clandestine meeting.

Remember Sharif's entire energies are focussed on resolving Islamabad fiasco, and he perhaps wanted to scuttle the talks. Both sides decided on this little game, to scuttle the talks. Pakistan signalling to the Pakistanis that no compromise on Kashmir, Indian that Kashmiri separatists are not a party to this talk.

PS: Don't forget Sharif came to Modi's swearing in, and Modi wished Pakistan on its independence day, means there is a thaw.
It is my personal opinion and I think Sharif is a good man at heart. He wants to move on.

He did the Lahore stuff. Musharraf scuttled it.

He came to India, faced criticism at home. But he did.

But now he has been boxed in by the tattoos of the Pak Army, who (Pak Army) were becoming marginalised if there was peace with India.

Given the US spokeswoman's statement, of not taking sides, I am curious as to how much the US is involved in this.

Keeping the pot boiling in the region, as the US withdraws from Afghanistan, is in US' interest.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
It is my personal opinion and I think Sharif is a good man at heart. He wants to move on.

He did the Lahore stuff. Musharraf scuttled it.

He came to India, faced criticism at home. But he did.

But now he has been boxed in by the tattoos of the Pak Army, who (Pak Army) were becoming marginalised if there was peace with India.

Given the US spokeswoman's statement, of not taking sides, I am curious as to how much the US is involved in this.

Keeping the pot boiling in the region, as the US withdraws from Afghanistan, is in US' interest.
Can I draw parallel with Tahrir square, Egypt?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can I draw parallel with Tahrir square, Egypt?
It was against a fundamentalist regime and maybe inspired by foreign interests.

Here is a case of democracy, a rarity in Pakistan, being subverted; maybe foreign inspired.

But a democracy finding its feet in a country of fundamentalism, intolerance and Army dictations.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
It was against a fundamentalist regime and maybe inspired by foreign interests.

Here is a case of democracy, a rarity in Pakistan, being subverted; maybe foreign inspired.

But a democracy finding its feet in a country of fundamentalism, intolerance and Army dictations.
The shocking part was the number of votes casted was more than the voters .... :rofl:
They are again going towards army rule ..... These people cannot live under democracy.... :tsk:

Global Defence

Articles