Imported Single Engine Fighter Jet Contest

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I am with @warrenss on this one.Capability building is more important than indigenious development.

At this point in time the Tejas MK1 isnt as capable as F 16 or Gripen E neither can HAL produce it in the numbers required so a 100 to 200 order of SE fighters look inevitable.

Wars are won by capability.

Why not give HAL a limited tender with a strict deadline to follow with the stipulation that heads will roll for any lapse starting from the top? If they can't deliver on time, they must be fired, all of them.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Why not give HAL a limited tender with a strict deadline to follow with the stipulation that heads will roll for any lapse starting from the top? If they can't deliver on time, they must be fired, all of them.
Are we willing to risk the nations security on babus of HAL?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

HAL is doing only the assembly part, Major aerospace giants from private sectors are together in this, Three assembly lines are opened up to chunk out more Tejas, Their is a huge effort going on to get India self reliant for that purpose only we are buying more Rafales to get engine technology for Tejas and not the other way around ..

=======

Don`t make general statements, Go into details before getting on conclusions ..

Are we willing to risk the nations security on babus of HAL?

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag

HAL is doing only the assembly part, Major aerospace giants from private sectors are together in this, Three assembly lines are opened up to chunk out more Tejas, Their is a huge effort to produce 300 fighters for 14 squadrons, MOD is fully supporting it ..

11 by the end of fiscal 2017, which ends in March 2018 for India.

5 have been delivered, and SP-5 and SP-7 are both close to first flights. That would mean 7 delivered by end-November or early December. and then 1 per month till March 2018. That is the target.

=======

Don`t make general statements, Go into details before getting on conclusions ..
The capability building must continue while also supporting indigenious efforts.Thats the prudent thing to do.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Future is happening since 80s, hijacked in other words ..

Give a look to just last page and read my post, don`t turn blind eye on to it ..

The capability building must continue while also supporting indigenious efforts.Thats the prudent thing to do.

FactsPlease

Country flag
IAF has a space for 14 squadron of Tejas, If any-other get involve it will be merely left to 2-3 squadrons and not more ..
It will be very sad if what Kunal sir said turns out true. But every sign I can learn indicates it will go that way. Just like IA purposely let all Arjun it ordered "rotten" in stock - it's not just about you have that technology or not, but also the industry/ecosystem required. (https://www.defensenews.com/land/2015/05/07/india-grounds-most-of-original-arjun-tanks/)

Wonder how much IAF (and GoI) comprehend the fact that it may be one of the last opportunities if India is serious about creating its own indigenous MIC. With the spiral growth in defense technology complexity and investment/cost required, there will be less and less countries afford next generation weapons development. And India supposed to make best of every bit of its advantages - a vast market (including and especially defense equipment), brain/human resources (can't stop admiring all the smart Indian colleagues crossed in my work), an independent diplomatic policy and geopolitical strategy (so far), and even an inspired determination to solve its security situation due to nuclear neighbor and terrorists (YES, as long as you have the will, crisis can always be a source of inspiration).

I said this not just for India, but also whipping for Canada defense industry. Given still several last stands - Bombardier (who got its own severe financial problem), HP Canada (engines), simulators, HUD, I know the day Canada can develop its indigenous planes, ships, and others, is totally gone, and now can only be under USA MIC dominance. I truly hope India won't be next.

Last edited:

rone

Country flag
its so sad that our media defaming their own fighter .. mean while in porkistan they comparing their junk fighter 17 with sabb grpin and calming its better than grpin ( dont know in what):facepalm:...even tho tejas is pak centric fighter for china we have su30 and Rafael why this nonsense's ..:frusty::frusty::frusty:

we dont need single engine jet fighter we need more rafael or f18 becoz the one we need very gud navel aviation
o_O:prison:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I know the research industry in India..
those who are brilliant they leave the country to pursue more knowledge and they never return as they will not have platform in India to do something or their work will never be recognized.

Example, world's largest project in Particle physics , INO is on halt why? They are not able to find the skilled people in the field of particle physics. And those who have gone abroad their contribution will not be recognized when they return.

Aircraft designing and manufacture is a highly complex process and it requires all the areas of highest level of expertise. Specially in the field of natural sciences for basic research and material technology

India has done well in the field of biotechnology but coming to physics chemistry and mathematics, India has to catch up and only then you would see a better indigenous industry.

Even if you bring tech from outside, you have to catch up with the speed others are going ahead it is not just about getting the technology.

When the whole NCR is under smog, the chappus and chaaaps and babus and bhaiyas are busy in some sex scandal in Gujarat related to some sadak chaap category 24 years old boy who has become the leader and aims to be the PM.

You think under such atmosphere any thing can be lucrative to hold the best minds within India. Never!!

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
I am with @warrenss on this one.Capability building is more important than indigenious development.

At this point in time the Tejas MK1 isnt as capable as F 16 or Gripen E neither can HAL produce it in the numbers required so a 100 to 200 order of SE fighters look inevitable.

Wars are won by capability.
Do you know the meaning of capabilities? Making 1lakh tejas is capability, not running with 100 rafale. You are speaking as if Indian planes and defence items are junk and obsolete. Reality is that due to large pool of talent and robust IT sector, today's electronic era is greatly in favour of india. These equipment like radars, fly-by-wire, seekers etc rely on electronic and coding. This is where india has enormous strength. There is no reason to say indian items are junk. They are just not marketed

I know the research industry in India..
those who are brilliant they leave the country to pursue more knowledge and they never return as they will not have platform in India to do something or their work will never be recognized.

Example, world's largest project in Particle physics , INO is on halt why? They are not able to find the skilled people in the field of particle physics. And those who have gone abroad their contribution will not be recognized when they return.

Aircraft designing and manufacture is a highly complex process and it requires all the areas of highest level of expertise. Specially in the field of natural sciences for basic research and material technology

India has done well in the field of biotechnology but coming to physics chemistry and mathematics, India has to catch up and only then you would see a better indigenous industry.

Even if you bring tech from outside, you have to catch up with the speed others are going ahead it is not just about getting the technology.

When the whole NCR is under smog, the chappus and chaaaps and babus and bhaiyas are busy in some sex scandal in Gujarat related to some sadak chaap category 24 years old boy who has become the leader and aims to be the PM.

You think under such atmosphere any thing can be lucrative to hold the best minds within India. Never!!
Election campaign is different from science. I am not sure of mathematics, but in physics and chemistry, India has a large pool of talent and are working here too.

The major research of communication, electronic design and some aeronautics engineering takes place in india itself. The only main drawback is in lack of specialized metallurgy, but that can also be overcome as many chemists and physicists do metallurgy too to overcome many problems.

Don't underestimate india. With the population as large, even if 0.01% are excellent, we will still have 1.4 lakh talented people

Kay

Country flag
Paid journos with zero credibility everywhere defaming Tejas and Arjun. This is sad and funny at the same time. The Armed forces have finally hit rock bottom - officially lobbying against Indegenious products :facepalm:

tejas warrior

Country flag
#IAF Southern Command Chief Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria on Tuesday flew a solo mission on indigenous fighter #Tejas just days after reports about the #IAF giving a thumbs down on advanced versions of the plane... |

WolfPack86

Country flag
We must not lose our indigenous aviation industry we must do what ever it takes. Even if it means bringing private industries.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
War was and is always going, We fight with weapons made in this country and replenished within this country, Let it be small arms to artillery or logistics vehicles which get us the supply we need so badly, Thanks to the developed national defense industry ..

I am worried what will happen when a full scale go off and we are left with imported weapons which lack spares and bullets ..

Its the other way around ..
Artillery and small arms we can manage.Infact i am confident we will be exporting howitzers in a few years.

Trouble is with Fighter Jets.Tejas isnt ready and the siruation we are in we cant wait for it to mature.We have to have the numbers.So while Tejas matures we will have to buy foreign fighters.Do we have another option?

Isnt there a certain number of spares etc that we always keep in reserve?

PS: I am mostly posting from Tapatalk so i may miss some posts as i get multiple alerts.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Artillery and small arms we can manage.Infact i am confident we will be exporting howitzers in a few years.

Trouble is with Fighter Jets.Tejas isnt ready and the siruation we are in we cant wait for it to mature.We have to have the numbers.So while Tejas matures we will have to buy foreign fighters.Do we have another option?

Isnt there a certain number of spares etc that we always keep in reserve?

PS: I am mostly posting from Tapatalk so i may miss some posts as i get multiple alerts.
What is your urgency? What is maturity according to you? Why can't you wait? Is aircraft the only thing in war? Don't we have anything else to compensate it for the time being?

Are you part of the foreign lobby? How much are you being paid?

Kay

Country flag
We need to change promotion and pay rules for armed forces - and add some model code of conduct - incentives for promting indegeneous arms - discouraging foreign weaponry and lobbying

Global Defence

New threads

Articles