Imported Single Engine Fighter Jet Contest

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Why not go for 90 rafale and 200 more gripen ng, agree f16 is a potent platform, but we know American can take a backstep very quickly, had it been super hornet +growler it would have been a different story but still, rafale +ng is a potent combination, if both are willing for Tot, let the navy go for mk2, and let the airforce if willing use these techs in Amca and lca mk3.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Can we afford 90 Rafales?Dont think so.

vayuu1

Country flag
If we could afford Rafales in such large numbers then MMRCA wouldnot have been scrapped.
The reason was, because of offset clause and technology, if France is willing to share tech, then we can go for it.

vayuu1

Country flag
I have a strong feeling that we might end up buying more than 36 aircraft.

vayuu1

Country flag
We will have 54.Not more.18 add on clause.
I know, maybe u are right may be not, but I don't know, it's a gut feeling, main issue is owning the responsibility of India made aircraft.

IndianHawk

Country flag
And I have a feeling that we will end up buying anything and everything that anyone is selling.we already have 8-9 type of combat fighters in our force. Perhaps we should aim for a dozen types , create a world record.

WolfPack86

Country flag
With Rafale fighter jets deal in bag, IAF eyes F-16s, Saab jets under Narendra Modi’s Make in India drive
After concluding a 7.8-billion-euro deal with France’s Dassault Aviation for 36 Rafale fighter jets, the Indian Air Force is looking for the next round of combat aircraft acquisition.
After concluding a 7.8-billion-euro deal with France’s Dassault Aviation for 36 Rafale fighter jets, the Indian Air Force is looking for the next round of combat aircraft acquisition. The Gripen fighter plane manufactured by Sweden’s Saab and American giant Lockheed Martin’s F-16 are seen to be top contenders for grabbing the lucrative IAF contracts and both firms are open to setting up production lines in India under the Modi government’s Make in India drive, official said.

US firms Boeing and Lockheed have made several presentations to the Indian defence ministry where they discussed manufacturing top-line aircraft with high-end technology in India as well as technology transfer and licensing parameters.

Lockheed, sources said, has offered to move its lone production line of the latest version of fighter aircraft F 16-Block 70 to India from Texas to meet Indian and global requirements, but with a rider that the IAF has to choose the world’s largest-sold fighter aircraft for its fleet.

From India’s perspective, besides the 36 Rafale fighter planes from Dassault, there is an urgent requirement for almost 100-plus aircraft. “The number of squadrons has gone down to 32 from the required 45. In 2007, IAF was looking for 126 medium multirole combat aircraft, with a follow-on order, bringing the number to 200. There is still a need for another 100 aircraft with a follow on for another 50 machines to meet the requirements,” said a senior IAF officer.

As far as the IAF is concerned, the F-16, which is presently being operated by the Pakistan Air Force, would be unsuitable from operational, strategic, and technological angles. The F-16 is a 40-year-old airframe, and all the upgrades that are possible are already done. There is no room for any more growth. A 40-year-old design does have its limitations that cannot be overlooked.

Industry sources, however, have pointed out that if the competition is between Lockheed and the Swedish firm, then probably the US giant will have a tough time getting a local partner. “The company does not have a strong partner to work with here locally. However, its partnership with Tata is not exclusive as it is also partnering with Boeing,” said a source.

“The offer we have given to the Indian government is unmatched and from our side unprecedented,” Randall L Howard, F16 business development head at Lockheed had said here. He said the company wants to make F 16-Block 70 “for India, from India and export to the world”. But some analysts have added a cautionary note. Air marshal M Matheswaran (retd), former deputy chief, integrated defence staff, said: “The F-16 has outlived its time. By proposing this Lockheed Martin is aiming to convert the winding up of the F-16 production line into a cash cow for another three decades.”

Meanwhile, Saab has offered to provide India’s state-run Aeronautical Development Agency assistance with the light combat aircraft Mk II, which is being developed for the Indian Navy.
http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...er-narendra-modis-make-in-india-drive/418780/

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Gripen E is the best single engine fighter. F 16 can not match it in its capability. That is what I believe and that is what Arup Raha said.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The MKII reportedly has been moved to low priority. It would require so much change and take so long to develop that the air force can't wait and looks like it will just go with the MK1A. Even then, whether it could march a Gripen E is problematical.
I never said that MK1+ shall match Gripen E. It shall be Mk2 Naval version which shall be comparable. I said that Mk1+ shall match Gripen C/D.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
It is said that LCA suffers from poor air intake design which hinders its performance. I would suggest ADA guys to study the air intake of Mig 25. Gripen's air intake looks lot more similar. I want that to be done on Mk1+. Mk2 is proposed to be a half meter long but I would like it to be of Gripen E class. So I want LCA MK2 of navy to be done first and curve out air force Mk2 out of it . i.e 15.5 m long , very long range, Speed mach 2, Super cruise and all other goodies of electronics etc with weight bellow 7 tons/ atleast 500 KG lesser than anything in its class. If this is done than LCA MK2 shall be a winner.

navkapu

Country flag
There is a trend to underreport the performance Qualitative/Quantitavie of all Indian Products supplied to indian defence forces by ADA, DRDO and HAL.
It is said that LCA suffers from poor air intake design which hinders its performance. I would suggest ADA guys to study the air intake of Mig 25. Gripen's air intake looks lot more similar. I want that to be done on Mk1+. Mk2 is proposed to be a half meter long but I would like it to be of Gripen E class. So I want LCA MK2 of navy to be done first and curve out air force Mk2 out of it . i.e 15.5 m long , very long range, Speed mach 2, Super cruise and all other goodies of electronics etc with weight bellow 7 tons/ atleast 500 KG lesser than anything in its class. If this is done than LCA MK2 shall be a winner.[/QUOTE

IndianHawk

Country flag
Gripen NG for IAF? I'll tell SAAB to take a hike and tell IAF to shut it and support LCA for once- you got your shiny toy Rafale, now get behind Tejas.
They are greedy boys ..
They want more more toys:cowboy:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles