I'll meet you guys at the border...

ZOOM

Founding Member
Kabuli, can you tell me, as what kind of general perception held by Afgan Citizens for the Indian people? I mean what kind of a thinking they possess for all we Indians?

A.V.

welcome to DFI have a great time
good to see someone from afganistan it should be great to talk to you

Kabuli

Kabuli, can you tell me, as what kind of general perception held by Afgan Citizens for the Indian people? I mean what kind of a thinking they possess for all we Indians?
India is viewed neutrally. Afghans are not Wahabbis like some in the media try to portray us. We are mostly Hanafi Muslims, but we have Hindus, Sikhs, even some Jews living among us. India is one of the few nations in the region which did not extend its support to the "Mujahideen," but supported the legitimate government. Of course, we have plenty of ex-pats with agendas. I don't doubt some were raised in Pakistan and hate India because the madrassahs, but if you meet one just give him a good kick in the teeth. That should straighten them out.

The only nation disliked by a majority of Afghans is Pakistan.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ Not a majority it seems, though the most numerous.

Based on official census numbers from the 1960s to the 1980s, as well as information found in mainly scholarly sources, the Encyclopædia Iranica[10] gives the following list:

• 39.4% Pashtun
  • 33.7% Tajik, Farsiwan, and Qezelbash
  • 8.0% Hazara
  • 8.0% Uzbek
  • 4.1% Aimak
  • 3.3% Turkmen
  • 1.6% Baloch
  • 1.9% other

An approximate distribution of ethnic groups based on the CIA World Factbook[12] is as following:

• Pashtun: 42%
  • Tajik: 27%
  • Hazara: 9%
  • Uzbek: 9%
  • Aimak: 4%
  • Turkmen: 3%
  • Baloch: 2%
  • Other: 4%
According to a representative survey, named "A survey of the Afghan people - Afghanistan in 2006", a combined project of The Asia Foundation, the Indian Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) and the Afghan Center for Socio-economic and Opinion Research (ACSOR), the distribution of the ethnic groups is:[13]

• 40.9% Pashtun
  • 37.1% Tajik
  • 9.2% Hazara
  • 9.2% Uzbek
  • 1.7% Turkmen
  • 0.5% Baloch
  • 0.1% Aimak
  • 1.3% other

According to another representative survey, named "Afghanistan: Where Things Stand", a combined effort by the American broadcasting channel ABC News, the British BBC, and the German ARD (from the years 2004 to 2009), and released on February 9th 2009, the ethnic composition of the country is (avarege numbers):[14]

• 41% Pashtun
  • 38% Tajik
  • 10% Hazara
  • 6% Uzbek
  • 2% Turkmen
  • 1% Nuristani
  • 1% Baloch
  • 1% other
Demography of Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

peacecracker

@Vinod:thanks for that info.
We know that Western Pakistan also got Pashtun Population including NWFP.I hope ,the people there be secular as well.
--

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
@Vinod:thanks for that info.
We know that Western Pakistan also got Pashtun Population including NWFP.I hope ,the people there be secular as well.
--
Yes, I think Pakistan has almost double the number of Pushtuns that Afghanistan has.

And if I am not mistaken, the Afghans want to "liberate" them the same way as the Paksitanis want to "liberate" Kashmiris!

I think the former is much more likely.

Fighter

Yes, I think Pakistan has almost double the number of Pushtuns that Afghanistan has.

And if I am not mistaken, the Afghans want to "liberate" them the same way as the Paksitanis want to "liberate" Kashmiris!

I think the former is much more likely.
I think its correct to compare it to kashmir issue.

It would be interesting to hear form kabuli on this since he is afghani.

Vinod does the afghani pashtuns want to liberate the pakistani pashtuns in your opinion.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I think its correct to compare it to kashmir issue.
I think the Pushtuns on both sides of Durand are really the same people and share historical bonds. Pakistanis have nothing to do with Kashmiris any more than they had to do with Bangladeshis! They were a part of Pakistan and went their own way. The West Paksitanis never tried to unite back with them.

It is a bit strange to see them so fascinated with Indian Kashmiris.

It would be interesting to hear form kabuli on this since he is afghani.

Vinod does the afghani pashtuns want to liberate the pakistani pashtuns in your opinion.
Yes, that is what I have read multiple times. I think I even read a statement by Karzai along these lines.

Fighter

I think the Pushtuns on both sides of Durand are really the same people and share historical bonds. Pakistanis have nothing to do with Kashmiris any more than they had to do with Bangladeshis! They were a part of Pakistan and went their own way. The West Paksitanis never tried to unite back with them.

It is a bit strange to see them so fascinated with Indian Kashmiris.

Yes, that is what I have read multiple times. I think I even read a statement by Karzai along these lines.
So you think its better to be facinated by bengalis.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Its a independent state.
Closed chapter for pakistan.
The same should apply to their fascination for Kashmir too.

Kashmir was never a part of Pakistan, Bangladesh was.

If they can live without the latter, why not the former!

Fighter

The same should apply to their fascination for Kashmir too.

Kashmir was never a part of Pakistan, Bangladesh was.

If they can live without the latter, why not the former!
You mean east pakistan. Now its bangladesh. Closed chapter.

We still have part of kashmir. Its a dispute. It isnt a closed chapter.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
You mean east pakistan. Now its bangladesh. Closed chapter.
Good to know that!

We still have part of kashmir. Its a dispute.
Yes, that part is a dispute. :blum3:

It isnt a closed chapter.
The Indian Kashmir is a closed chapter after the IOA was signed. They are Indians like all other Indians.

Fighter

Good to know that!

Yes, that part is a dispute. :blum3:

The Indian Kashmir is a closed chapter after the IOA was signed. They are Indians like all other Indians.
If you do not recognize that its a dispute. It just show your lack of knowlegde.

By the way you say its at dispute and then its not a dispute in the same post. I quess you are confused. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles