IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

abingdonboy

Country flag
4 crashes for a fleet size of 150. ALH has 17 crashes for a fleet size of 300
17 crashes in 20+ years for ALH with 320+ having entered Indian service, V5 has only been in Indian service since 2012 and 151 was the max that entered Indian service

the loss per 10,000 hours for the ALH fleet is far lower than the V5s in India.

+all of those V5 crashes have been fatal, most ALH crashes are survivable.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
Gen Bipin Rawat has been a great general to IA,with surgical strikes in myanmar,PoK under his command & new concepts like IBGs & integration of tri services ,& support to indigenisation,new land warfare doctrine ,left a legacy & will always be remembered
bipin-rawat-1567275736.jpg

In pic inspecting enemy at LoC

abingdonboy

Country flag
This is not a comparison of ALH vs. Mi-17 or AW101. AW101 is specially made for this purpose, ofc it will be better. ALH, debatable.

But, tell me, your claim of Mi-17V5 crash, how many actually crashed due to technical failure ? All Mi-17V5 crashes to date is due to either unfortunate circumstances or pilot error, including this one.

If you ram an AW101 or Dhruv nose-first into a hill, it will meet the same fate.
Multiple angles to this

1) yes CFIT is CFIT and procedural issues with the crews are a concern
2) the onboard systems on ALH/AW101 are more likely to prevent such an incident
3) if a crash does happen a ALH/AW101 is more likely to have survivors than the V5s

here2where

Very difficult to digest that top rated pilots could have made a costly mistake on a relatively milder south indian hill terrain, nowhere near as challenging like the himalayas/NE terrain. The quick changing fog might have caught them out. All that is left to do now is to find out the root cause and learn lessons from the gruesome accident. Which iam sure the AF will do very professionally.

RIP.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Died on his way to address college students. There are no words.
Not really 'civilian college students' but actually Indian Army officers as well as foreign officers from 22 countries of the ranks of major and Lt Col and their equivalents in the Navy and Airforce. Senior defence officers frequently come over to the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington for delivering talks on various subjects.

Their choppers fly through the valley and land at the helipad at the Wellington Gymkhana Club golf course, 5500 ft asl from where they proceed to the Staff College, a five-minute drive from the helipad.

In the 80s a MiG-21 zoomed through this valley flying low over the golf course but unfortunately could not pull up in time and ploughed into the hillside ahead at over 500 knots!!

abingdonboy

Country flag
@abingdonboy what's it opinion of Augusta Westland scam??

Other members ur opinions
To date I’m still yet to see much evidence, most of the scam was politically motivated. I’m sure shadiness exists like with all defence deals but BJP creating the controversy and UPA unilaterally scrapping the deal in an unprecedented manner were both pathetic and politically motivated

Damage can be seen now.

I shake my head every time I see Modi stepping into a MI17 today, and like I said I’ve been expecting something like this for a while unfortunately. Some never learn without a bloody nose. Indian leadership is that.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Very difficult to digest that top rated pilots could have made a costly mistake on a relatively milder south indian hill terrain, nowhere near as challenging like the himalayas/NE terrain. The quick changing fog might have caught them out. All that is left to do now is to find out the root cause and learn lessons from the gruesome accident. Which iam sure the AF will do very professionally.

RIP.
There’s not much a pilot flying VFR can do if the weather decides to screw you like that. Other than to ensure they never get in the situation in the first place which begins on the ground.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles