Hypersonic Missiles

Country flag
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Russian_Military_Set_To_Continue_Bulava_Missile_Tests_999.html

Russian Military Set To Continue Bulava Missile Tests

A state investigation commission has recommended the continuation of tests on the troubled Bulava ballistic missile
following a probe into the most recent test failure, a first deputy defense minister said on Wednesday.

Only 5 of the 12 Bulava launches have been officially reported as successful and late last month the commission sent the government the results of its investigation into the latest failure: a launch from the Dmitry Donskoy cruiser in the White Sea in early December 2009.

"The state commission, which had been set up to investigate the failed launches of the Bulava, completed its work in June and concluded that the tests should continue," Vladimir Popovkin said at the international Engineering Technologies-2010 forum.

The Russian Navy is planning to resume the Bulava tests as early as November this year.

The Bulava (SS-NX-30) is a three-stage liquid and solid-propellant submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM). It carries up to 10 MIRV warheads and has a range of over 8,000 kilometers (5,000 miles).

The future development of Bulava has been questioned by some lawmakers and defense industry officials who suggest that the Russian Navy should keep using the more reliable Sineva SLBM.

Russia hopes the Bulava will be a key element of its nuclear forces. The missile has been specifically designed for Russia's new Borey class nuclear submarines, the first of which, the Yury Dolgoruky, is currently undergoing sea trials.

bhramos

Country flag
AS 19 Koala missile

Type: Air -to- Surface, supersonic winged cruise missile
Year: 1991
Range (km): 3000
Weight (kg): 2000
Lenght (m): 12 x 6
Speed (m/sec): 5 Mach
Weight of warhead: 2 x 200 kt nuclear

The P-750 Grom supersonic winged cruise missile with a range of 3000-4000 km was developed for to replace the Kh-55 [AS-15 KENT]. The AS-X-19 Koala was an air-launched land-attack version derived from the SS-NX-24 Scorpion submarine-launched missile. A pair of AS-19 missiles was expected to arm the Tu-142 Bear-H bomber.

The missile carried two warheads independently guided to hit two targets 100 km apart. The letters BL in its American designation refer to the firing range in Barnaul, where it was tested;

some more related pics

bhramos

Country flag
3M-25 Meteorit-A (Kh-80, AS-X-19 'Koala'), GELA (Kh-90) (Russian Federation), Air-to-surface missiles - Stand-off and cruise

Type
High-speed land-attack cruise missile.

Development
Developed by the Chelomey Design Bureau (now NPO Mashinostroyenia, or NPO Mash) under great secrecy from the late 1970s onwards, the Meteorit missile system has had a shadowy existence under several guises. The Meteorit was, and is, a highly significant piece of weapons technology because it attempted to combine very long range and very high speed in a vehicle that could deliver several nuclear warheads from an airborne or underwater launch point. Furthermore, some observers believe that radical new approaches in low observable technology (stealth) may also have been tested on such missiles. The challenge to field an effective weapon proved to be too much for the Russian developers. However, the advanced technology embodied in the deeply-classified Meteorit programme remains available and is still under development so some degree, hampered largely by its prohibitive costs.Given the NATO codename AS-X-19 'Koala', the programme was first reported by the US DoD in 1986 and was confirmed by the Soviets in 1988, when the US Secretary of Defense was shown around a Tu-160 'Blackjack' bomber at an airbase near Moscow. This event has long since associated the weapon with the Tu-160 but the Meteorit was actually a missile for external carriage by the Tu-95. By the time it was revealed during the US visit the Meteorit was more than 10 years old. The Chelomey project began as a rival to the Raduga Kh-55 (AS-15 'Kent') cruise missile but was a much more complex and ambitious programme. The Meteorit was drawn up to

The complete article appears in the following publication:
Publication Title Jane's Air-Launched Weapons
Publication date Aug 01, 2008
Section Air-to-surface missiles - Stand-off and cruise
Publication synopsis The only accessible and constantly updated guide to the world's inventories of airborne weapons. Covering well over 600 systems, in service or in development, it provides a detailed and comprehensive reference to: capabilities/technology; functionality/effectiveness; user base; combat record; upgrades, variants and future enhancements. The guide includes extensive analysis tables covering all weapon types, national inventories and aircraft weapon loads and documents the world's air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, bombs, rockets, guns and underwater weapons, including new and emerging weapons.
Key contents include
Detailed review of worldwide events in the air-launched world. New systems, weapons tests/trials, combat details, contracts and deliveries, industrial moves and more
Air-to-air missiles within and beyond visual range
Air-to-surface missiles & direct attack, anti-ship, stand off and cruise missiles
Bombs & precision and guided munitions, cluster and dispenser munitions, nuclear weapons, conventional unguided bombs
Guns - integrated and mounted, podded systems
Air-launched rockets
Underwater weapons - mines/depth charges, torpedoes
Analysis tables
Contractors listings
Different sections provide in-depth detail covering
Air-Launched Rockets
Air-To-Air Missiles - Beyond Visual Range
Air-To-Air Missiles - Within Visual Range
Air-To-Surface Missiles - Anti-Ship
Air-To-Surface Missiles - Direct Attack
Air-To-Surface Missiles - Stand-Off And Cruise
Analysis
Analysis - Air-To-Air Missiles
Analysis - Air-To-Surface Missiles
Analysis - Automatic Grenade Launchers
Analysis - Bombs
Analysis - Country Inventories - In Development
Analysis - Country Inventories - In Service
Analysis - Gun Pods And Mountings
Analysis - Guns
Analysis - In-Service Combat Aircraft And Their Air-Launched Weapons Capabilities
Analysis - Mines And Depth Charges
Analysis - Rocket Launchers
Analysis - Rockets
Analysis - Torpedoes
Analysis - Worldwide In-Service Combat Aircraft
Bombs - Cluster And Dispenser Munitions
Bombs - Precision And Guided Munitions
Bombs - Unguided
Contractors
Glossary
Guns - Integral And Mounted
Guns - Podded Systems
Underwater Weapons - Mines And Depth Charges
Underwater Weapons - Torpedoes
Underwater Weapons - Unclassified Projects
http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes...-X19-Koala-GELA-Kh-90-Russian-Federation.html

i think there could be a link between both the missiles.

princecarspian

Centerpiece of India supersonic cruise missile, the BrahMos has been successfully tested in a hypersonic version, though under laboratory conditions. Indian achieved a speed of Mach 5.26 in our lab tests of the hypersonic BrahMos version. However, it will take about 15-20 tests under controlled conditions before the missile can be launched effectively tests.

EagleOne

BrahMos hypersonic missile to touch Mach 5 to 7 speeds

Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace is working on a hypersonic cruise missile that can touch speeds ranging from five to seven times that of sound. The cruise missile's supersonic version for the land forces can touch speeds of two times the speed of sound and has a 290-km range.

"The hypersonic version of the BrahMos, to be called BrahMos-II, is in its design and technological development stage. It will take some time to mature. But our aim is for it to touch Mach 5 to 7 speeds, making it the fastest cruise missile in the world," BrahMos' Chief Executive Officer A Sivathanu Pillai told PTI at the DefExpo here.

"The hypersonic missile, which will be smaller than BrahMos-I, will definitely provide an advantage to the Indian armed forces in future warfare," Pillai said when asked about the need for the missile.

The hypersonic version of the BrahMos would be built for its air platforms.

Already, the BrahMos is in the process of developing an air platform-based supersonic cruise missile and Sukhoi fighter jets of the IAF have been chosen as the platform for integrating the missile.

"The BrahMos will be integrated in to the Su-30MKI's built in India. But the aircraft would be sent to Russia for fitting a modified structure for the missile's integration. We plan to get it done by 2012," he said.

http://idrw.org/?p=2549

Country flag
Nice article they were able to make the scramjet engine smaller than Brahmos ramjet engine,and make a smaller missile, interesting.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
look same to me

look at my channel on you tube

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Not sure but I feel the forward Nose orientation has changed from stiff to some rounded structure, maybe in order to let the body go along smoothly with the atmospheric pressure/temperature during the conventional landing from upper atmosphere.

jonhy

i think india have to choose another path to ...i mean other then jvs with russia because its restrict our range of missile.

Country flag
i think india have to choose another path to ...i mean other then jvs with russia because its restrict our range of missile.
we have developed Shauriya which satisifies speed and range, and in the future more projects will be completely indigenous.

Neil

Country flag
we have developed Shauriya which satisifies speed and range, and in the future more projects will be completely indigenous.
but i doubt there are any indigenous plans to develop hypersonic missiles....are there...??
and shourya is a cruze missile isn't it....??

Country flag
but i doubt there are any indigenous plans to develop hypersonic missiles....are there...??
and shourya is a cruze missile isn't it....??
Shourya is a hybrid ballistic missile and cruise missile, to get a clue about what possible indigenous hypersonic missile program ; look at our indigenous scramjet engine programs.

jonhy

no no i just want to say the tech we used in brahmos is unique bt we cant use in at other missiles plus its range is should be not more then 290 km because of under restrictions. its my personal point of view our defence system needs a hypersonic misssile which have range of 8000 km min.

SHASH2K2

no no i just want to say the tech we used in brahmos is unique bt we cant use in at other missiles plus its range is should be not more then 290 km because of under restrictions. its my personal point of view our defence system needs a hypersonic misssile which have range of 8000 km min.
Hmmm. A hypersonic missile with 8K range. Dont think its possible in this or next decade. maybe after 3-4 decades.

Country flag
we have Ballistic missiles for that role, AGNI flies at MACH 12-15 with a 5000km+ range depending on payload.

neo29

Does anyone know our AAD and PAD anti ballistic missiles fly at what speeds ???? If ICBM"s are at 12 to 15 mach then surely the interceptors need to match that speed .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles