HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
On a more serious note, what kind of firepower does Rudra carry? MMGs? Cannons? Rocket Pods? ATGMs?
What does the LCH carry in a "normal" configuration?

BTW, what is the name being given to the LCH?

Rudhra payload is same as LCH no difference..

Consist of 20mm cannon, 4 pylons for rockets, ATGM, A2A Missiles....

No naming of LCH yet..

bassi.gurjeet

hi ..just want to knw want happen to Our LCH prototype two and three ...when will prototype in air ...Y hal taking so much time .

Galaxy

Country flag
Dauphin pilots to make Bangalore their playing field | DGCA nod for 3rd HATSOFF simulator in striking range | Dhruv military variant simo getting ready

Bangalore: Chopper pilots from India and abroad, flying the Dauphins will find a new abode to hone their flying skills -- swiftly, surely and safely – at the Helicopter Academy to Train by Simulation of Flying (HATSOFF) in Bangalore. The facility, a JV project between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and CAE-Canada, will throw open a Dauphin 365 N3 simulator to pilots, after it is evaluated and qualified by the Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA) of UK on behalf of European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) of India.

Once this qualification is in (likely any time now) , HATSOFF will join the exclusive league of very few simulator training institutions in the world (US, Europe, Singapore) who can boast of six synthetic training devices for helicopters. At the end of this qualification phase, expected to be by the third week of December 2011, HATSOFF will have the Bell 412 EP, HAL civil/conventional Dhruv and the Eurocopter's Dauphin 365 N3 units – all certified as Level D, FFS/FFMS (Full Motion/Full Mission Simulators), which is the highest qualification for flight simulators.

HATSOFF is also approved to impart training for under slung operations and rescue hoist operations. Both of these operations is expected to be exploited by the Indian industry, as is being commonly done in the West. "The visuals of the simulators already have the roof top helipads. We will be ready to train pilots for roof top operations which are bound be become popular in India in the near future. Approval for imparting such training is expected to be granted by the DGCA very soon," says Wg Cdr (Retd) C.D. Upadhyay, CEO, HATSOFF.

DHRUV MILSIM: The military variant of Dhruv simulator with 'glass cockpit' and full weapons integrated is getting ready in Montreal (Canada). By the end of 2012, it will arrive at the HATSOFF facility in Bangalore and subsequent qualification.

Till then, the Dhruv pilots can train in the existing civil simulator at the facility, but will only be able to do electronic warfare (EW) training when the military version arrives. "The Dhruv pilots flying this variant will be able to train on night vision goggle flying, weapons firing, EW and host of other military operations as required by the Indian Army Aviation, the Indian Air Force and the Indian Coast Guard," says Capt N S Krishna, Chief of Training, at the facility.

HATSOFF also imparts role and mission training modes on synthetic flight devices. It is cleared to train helicopter pilots for off shore operations on oil rigs, helipad operations on helipads from sea level to 20,000ft, catering for the Indian conditions requiring operations in plains, mountainous areas of wooded Eastern sector and the cold desert of the Northern sector.

Says Capt Jatindar, Dauphin pilot, engaged in the integration of the Dauphin 365 N3 cockpit at HATSOFF. "I have seen many simulators all over the world and HATSOFF is outstanding. We are now approaching the final portion of the integration process and this will be one of the best Dauphin simulators in the world. The visuals are excellent and feels like a real helicopter," says Capt Jatindar with more than 14000 hours on helicopters since 1967.

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Dauphin pilots to make Bangalore their playing field | DGCA nod for 3rd HATSOFF simulator in striking range | Dhruv military variant simo getting ready

Galaxy

Country flag

The HATSOFF facility in Bangalore warming up for Dauphin certification

noob101

why are the Indian Army and Airforce looking for a 322 light helicopters when the Dhruv can be produced locally? Initally I thought that the altitude restrection was the primary concern as it would have to operate from siachen but from recent photos released it seems that the army brass is willing to trust their lives flying in a Dhruv to such altitudes can anyone please enlighten me?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
why are the Indian Army and Airforce looking for a 322 light helicopters when the Dhruv can be produced locally? Initally I thought that the altitude restrection was the primary concern as it would have to operate from siachen but from recent photos released it seems that the army brass is willing to trust their lives flying in a Dhruv to such altitudes can anyone please enlighten me?
Because of low rate production at HAL facility..

Also, Dhruv is twin engine helo, Army is looking for Single engine helo..

Though AFAIK Dhruv is very capable in supporting Logistic in Siachen..

noob101

Because of low rate production at HAL facility..

Also, Dhruv is twin engine helo, Army is looking for Single engine helo..

Though AFAIK Dhruv is very capable in supporting Logistic in Siachen..
IIRC the Dhruv production is going to increase to 40 a year soon, If the order for 197 birds is placed than it can be met within 6-7 years where as the tender process would mean that the foreign vendors would start delivery after a period of 3 years....

wouldn't a twin engine be better than i a single engine? I am only asking because I am a newbie

While doing some research for open source information the LUH tender would cost around 570 million USD, same no of Dhruv would cost 1.5 billion USD plus the operational costs might probably be higher for the Dhruv but then again a domestic product will most of the time cost less in maintenance over time.

But despite that i think the Dhruv fits almost all of the requirements of the LUH after all it was developed as a light utility helicopter. which brings me to my second point, the Dhruv was successfully developed as a LUH supposedly for Indian requirements why is it not inducted for the exact role? also..

IA and IAF wants a single engine, < 3 ton class helo for casualty evac and recce missions
IN needs a twin engine, >10 ton helo for ASW, AEW & AsHW

This was known a long time a ago my question is if these were the requirements then why didn't HAL design a helo to such specifications?

IMHO IA an IAF can cough up the extra money to support Indian products, overall isn't our goal to domestically self sufficient?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
wouldn't a twin engine be better than i a single engine? I am only asking because I am a newbie

While doing some research for open source information the LUH tender would cost around 570 million USD, same no of Dhruv would cost 1.5 billion USD plus the operational costs might probably be higher for the Dhruv but then again a domestic product will most of the time cost less in maintenance over time.
Twin engine is good but the maintenance and operational costs are higher..

The RFI was based on Single turbine coz it was meant to replace Single helo, Only recently Dhruv accomplish it Siachen mission only after getting uprated Shakti Engines..

I cannot comment how Dhruv is better in recon in every places over Siachen area compare to cheetah, But in supplying logistics its better than other single turbine helo..

I dont know abt the price of the whole package, But its indeed expensive coz Dhruv is belong to different category of Twin turbine helos..

IA and IAF wants a single engine, < 3 ton class helo for casualty evac and recce missions
IN needs a twin engine, <10 ton helo for ASW, AEW & AsHW

This was known a long time a ago my question is if these were the requirements then why didn't HAL design a helo to such specifications?

About LOH:

The Other Medium size Helo:

These are Projects under development, One should see HAL work load..

noob101

does anyone think that the HAL LOH/LUH be considered for the tender? if not then why is HAL developing it?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
does anyone think that the HAL LOH/LUH be considered for the tender? if not then why is HAL developing it?
197 number are less, This is a fast procurement until LOH is operational..

also Army asked HAL to make a rudhra variant of LOH..

KS

Bye bye DFI
^ Excellent pics.

But do they have retractable landing gear on Dhruvs ?

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kunalji,
are there any plans to make "chinook" like helicopters that US has??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles