HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

Sancho

Navy Dhruv is progressively replacing Chetaks..
As far as I know IN has send out an RFI/RFP for 60 foreign naval LUHs (including the naval Eurocopter Fennec) to replace them and I didn't meant to replace them with this version of Dhruv, but to replace bigger Sea King and Kamov naval helicopter in the ASW role and as the prime naval helicopter on our Frigats for example for the anti piracy roles:

plugwater

Navy Dhruv is progressively replacing Chetaks..
I think Navy dhruv was rejected by IN.

As far as I know IN has send out an RFI/RFP for 60 foreign naval LUHs (including the naval Eurocopter Fennec) to replace them and I didn't meant to replace them with this version of Dhruv, but to replace bigger Sea King and Kamov naval helicopter in the ASW role and as the prime naval helicopter on our Frigats for example for the anti piracy roles:
Never heard of RFI of naval LUH, if there is one i prefer what IA chooses instead of wasting time on selection process.

India issued RFI for 16 maritime helicopters which can be extended upto 60 heli in 2008, hope NH90 or MH-60 wins it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Navy issue was Dhruv should able to fold its tail like Sea kings, But Dhruv can only folds its blades, Still on virrat and many Destroyers and Frigades Dhruv is working as search an recue helos..

Dhruv is a light class, Sea King is a heavy class, further Sea Kings have capability to carry 2 x ASM, and ASW equipment to long ranges..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
What happened to the plans of replacing the Sea Kings? Is there a timeline?
Can Dhruv be fitted for ASW roles for most IN ships?

sandeepdg

I wish IN could plan and dedicate an LHD for carrying only assault and transport choppers, just like USN has its Wasp class of LHD which carry 24 choppers and Six Harriers as a standard complement. We can do the same with our Sea Kings, ALH and the LCH.

sandeepdg

What happened to the plans of replacing the Sea Kings? Is there a timeline?
Can Dhruv be fitted for ASW roles for most IN ships?
As Dhruvs are already oprational with the Navy, I think the assualt version can also be included for IN, but we need a dedicated LHD for that purpose. Because the carriers will be carrying their full complement of fighters and the Ka-31s and the regular destroyers and frigates have space for 2 choppers only, most of them being transport or rescue ones.

Sancho

Never heard of RFI of naval LUH, if there is one i prefer what IA chooses instead of wasting time on selection process.
Indian Navy RFI for Light Utility Helicopters

27 Apr 2010 8ak: DNA reports that the Indian Navy has issued a Request for Information (RFI) for Light Utility Helicopters (LUHs) to replace its ageing fleet of Chetak Helicopters, which were inducted into service four decades ago.
As per the RFI, the Nausena requires twin engine helicopters operated by two pilots. It should be fully capable of single pilot operations as well. The RFI also makes it mandatory for the choppers to have the capability to operate from surfaces covered with snow, sleet, sand, water and slush. The choppers should also have the capability to carry out anti-submarine warfare using torpedoes and depth charges besides being deployed in anti-terrorism and anti-piracy roles...
8ak - Indian Defence News

Sancho

Navy issue was Dhruv should able to fold its tail like Sea kings, But Dhruv can only folds its blades, Still on virrat and many Destroyers and Frigades Dhruv is working as search an recue helos..

Dhruv is a light class, Sea King is a heavy class, further Sea Kings have capability to carry 2 x ASM, and ASW equipment to long ranges..
A folding tail was planned for the ASW version of Dhruv as well, but even if not, that wouldn't be a real issue since the Dhruv is way shorter than the Sea King anyway (15.87m vs 22.15m) and it can carry 2 x Torpedos, or anti ship missiles as well, so that's not a problem either. The Dhruv is exactly the same class and for the same purpose like the Westlend Lynx, which was deployed as an ASW, or naval helicopter in several navies too. Range seems to be a bigger issue, that's why it should have been customised with additional fuel tanks, or in a streched version, with more internal capacity.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A folding tail was planned for the ASW version of Dhruv as well, but even if not, that wouldn't be a real issue since the Dhruv is way shorter than the Sea King anyway (15.87m vs 22.15m) and it can carry 2 x Torpedos, or anti ship missiles as well, so that's not a problem either. The Dhruv is exactly the same class and for the same purpose like the Westlend Lynx, which was deployed as an ASW, or naval helicopter in several navies too. Range seems to be a bigger issue, that's why it should have been customised with additional fuel tanks, or in a streched version, with more internal capacity.

I have seen Dhruv with all sensors but i doubt abt ASM, They are huge..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AFAIK they have only tested Torpedos so far, but they shouldn't be much lighter right?
The have tested Light Torpedoes as these can be fitted to airborne assets, A Sea Eagle is too big..

That diagram is partially correct..

Sancho

The have tested Light Torpedoes as these can be fitted to airborne assets, A Sea Eagle is too big..

That diagram is partially correct..
It's directly from HAL, so it should be correct and regarding ASMs, the British and French navy will use the new MBDA FASGW-ANL on their light to medium weight naval helicopters (Lynx and Panther), while MBDA offered also the new Matre anti ship missile during Aero India, but mainly for medium class helicopters. So no matter what, the naval Dhruv can be use in ASW and AshW too, with the main disadvantage beeing just range.

Missile systems, defence systems - MBDA missiles

MBDA - e-catalogue

Westland Lynx with up to 4 x ASMs (current Sea Skua missiles):

And the MBDA fasgw:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
..:: India Strategic ::. IAF: ALH touches 20,000 feet and Cheetal 23,000

Bangalore. The armed version of India's Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) touched 20,000 feet in a test flight early August while two Cheetals performed a daring rescue at 23,000 feet a few weeks later.

The ALH test flight was conducted by Army's ace test pilot Brig Amardeep Sidhu in Leh while the two Cheetals were taken to this height by ace pilots of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to rescue a stranded foreign mountaineer.

The armed version of the ALH, designated Rudra by the Army Aviation Corps which operates them, is still under various tests before its induction by end-2011. But so far, according to Chairman and Managing Ashok Nayak of HAL, which manufactures the helicopter at its Bangalore facility, all the required tests, undertaken step by step, have been successful.

Rudra has also cleared the airto- air and air-to-ground missile firing tests at the Interim Test Range at Balasore in Orissa and now, combined missile, rocket and gun firing tests, day and night, would be conducted later this year. Pilots also have Helmet mounted cueing systems to ensure precision attacks.
Mr Nayak said that Phase I of the Shakti engine's TOT was over, and the remaining three phases would be completed in about two years and then the infrastructure to manufacture it fully in India would be established. Significantly, he pointed out, the critical engine core technology had already been transferred.
Two prototypes of the LCH have done about 100 hours, flown by Group Captain Unni Pillai, a retired IAF test pilot, who is the Chief Test Pilot for HAL now.
Mr Nayak said that a 3rd prototype of the LCH is under development, and that it should be inducted by the IAF in about three to four years.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It's directly from HAL, the British and French navy will use the new MBDA FASGW-ANL on their light to medium weight naval helicopters (Lynx and Panther), So no matter what, the naval Dhruv can be use in ASW and AshW too, with the main disadvantage beeing just range.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/products/maritime-superiority/fasgw-anl/60/Westland Lynx with up to 4 x ASMs (current Sea Skua missiles):

Lynx is a dedicated Naval Helicopter, Dhruv is too adapted in naval version, But do notice Lynx hull is stretched compare to Dhruv, Though Dhruv can carry Sea Skua with a range of 25kms and length of 2.5m and weight of 145kg each, But when we are talking Dhruv in India senerio we use Sea Eagle with weight of 580kg each, With a Length of 4.14ms and range of +110kms..

It does not fit Dhruv, So Dhruv cannot be used to carry out ASM tasks..

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles