Greece - SYRIZA, in the margin of the Eurozone

pmaitra

.........................and last
Ah, looks like you are still under the entrancing influence of Euro-bluster. Finland should try to forge closer ties with Russia and join the Eurasian Economic Union, instead of hedging all on a sinking ship this EuroZone is.

jamesvaikom

Their PM reminds me of Kejru. :lol:
When a country is facing crisis then the Govt. should take tough decisions to solve the problem soon than to hide behind referendum which could delay recovery for decades. Its a cruel joke to ask people whether to go ahead with austerity or not. Swaraj, referendum etc. are ways to run away from responsibilities and blame people for everything. These politicians have nothing to lose. Only people who voted them will suffer. So people should vote leaders with long term vision than for short term benefits.

Gabriel92

Country flag
Greek debt crisis: Photograph of elderly man collapsed outside bank reveals pensioner's despair

A heartbreaking photograph of an elderly man collapsed on the ground openly crying in despair outside a Greek bank, his savings book and identity card strewn next to him, has captivated people around the world.

The image illustrated how ordinary Greeks were suffering during the country's debt crisis and it quickly went viral.

Now it has been revealed the crying pensioner was 77-year-old retiree Giorgos Chatzifotiadis.

Mr Chatzifotiadis had queued up at three banks in Greece's second city of Thessaloniki on Friday in the hope of withdrawing a pension on behalf of his wife — but all in vain.

When he went to a fourth bank and was told he could not withdraw his 120 euros ($180), it was all too much and he fell down in tears.

Mr Chatzifotiadis said he broke down because he "cannot stand to see my country in this distress".

"That's why I feel so beaten, more than for my own personal problems," he said.

Giorgos Chatzifotiadis, 77, broke down after visiting four banks in an attempt to withdraw his wife's pension of 120 euros.

Athens had imposed capital controls and shut all banks since Monday to stem a haemorrhage of cash, but on Wednesday allowed some branches to reopen for three days so retirees who had no bank cards could withdraw their pensions — capped at 120 euros.

I see my fellow citizens begging for a few cents to buy bread. I see more and more suicides.

Retiree Giorgos Chatzifotiadis
Recounting how he had gone from bank to bank in a futile attempt to collect his wife's pension, Mr Chatzifotiadis said when he was told at the fourth "that I could not get the money, I just collapsed".

Both he and his wife, like many Greeks in the north of the country, had spent several years in Germany where he "worked very hard" in a coal mine and later a foundry.

And it is from Berlin, which has been blamed by many in Greece for its hardline stance in demanding the government impose more austerity measures for fresh international aid, that Mr Chatzifotiadis is receiving his wife's pension.

"I see my fellow citizens begging for a few cents to buy bread," he said.

"I see more and more suicides.

"I am a sensitive person. I cannot stand to see my country in this situation.

"Europe and Greece have made mistakes. We must find a solution."

But Mr Chatzifotiadis felt he could do little to change the situation — and he was not even sure if he would be able to vote at Sunday's referendum on whether to accept international creditors' bailout conditions.

Pointing out that the polling station is 80 kilometres away, Mr Chatzifotiadis said: "I have no money to go there, unless perhaps if my children would take me in their car."

European leaders have warned that a "No" vote would also mean no to the eurozone.

Last edited:

jouni

F#####g Greece diplomats walk around wearing Rolexes...and people are in this mess. The whole upper level and medium level of government and ministeries should be fired and new people brought in from EU other countries to put things back on track. What a bunch of hyenas!

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
F#####g Greece diplomats walk around wearing Rolexes...and people are in this mess. The whole upper level and medium level of government and ministeries should be fired and new people brought in from EU other countries to put things back on track. What a bunch of hyenas!
:lol:
30 characters of fascism ............ :doh:

jamesvaikom

Greek Govt. is doing drama. They fought election by claiming that they will solve the problem without any austerity. If they have any solution then why they are wasting money for referendum. People should understand that governance is not as easy as protesting. In history many revolutions were successful because people had nothing to lose but chains. People should understand that they have many things to lose other than chains(austerity).

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Here is an interesting comment I found on the Fox News site.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...e-fate-of-their-economy-in-crucial-referendum

Greece entered the Euro in 2001 under false pretense. Audits by the IMF from 1998 - 2000 showed that Greece was 'cooking the books' to create the impression that they qualified. The ECB and Eurozone disregarded the warnings and admitted Greece. As Michael Lewis writes in 'Boomerang' there is a reason that Greeks do not have credit cards and mortgages. There is a cultural bias against debt payment. Greece needed the Euro to escape its junk credit rating for the Drachma and its very high cost of borrowing - the Greek government has been living on borrowed funds since WWII. The fault for this catastrophe lies with both sides - the Greeks for their abysmal economic management, and the Euro community for ignoring all the red flags and admitting Greece to the Euro. Michael Lewis writes that after entering the Euro Greece was alone in a room with piles of money and their decision was to make the government into a piñata and give all its citizens a whack at it. Greece never had any intention of repaying its debts, and the Eurozone and ECB and IMF knew that when they allowed Greece to join the Euro community. It's time for both sides to own up to the fraud that was committed and take the haircuts that are needed to spare the Greek and European communities more pain than they have already suffered.

It says Greece cooked up its books and had a habit of defaulting on its debt for ages.

arpakola

here is your answer .

sob

Mod
Country flag
Nobody forced Greece to enter the Euro. they could have stayed in the sidelines with their own currency like the English and the Norwegians. It was the lure of cheap money that drew them to cook their books and join the elite club.

I do not understand the whole game of brinkmanship here. Going back to the Drachma will bring so much suffering to the ordinary Greek people, I am afraid that there will be major exodus to there EU countries, especially of the younger educated people.

The politicians are promising a devalued Drachma to boos exports, but my point is what is the major product from Greece that they can export in Billions of Dollars worth ---- and the answer is ZILCH.

The banks do not have funds, a Greece outside Euro will not be able to finance any import because they do not have any reserves, and any paper issued by the Bank of Greece is not even worth the paper it will be printed on.

Dark days ahead.

arpakola

Nobody forced Greece to enter the Euro. they could have stayed in the sidelines with their own currency like the English and the Norwegians. It was the lure of cheap money that drew them to cook their books and join the elite club.

I do not understand the whole game of brinkmanship here. Going back to the Drachma will bring so much suffering to the ordinary Greek people, I am afraid that there will be major exodus to there EU countries, especially of the younger educated people.

The politicians are promising a devalued Drachma to boos exports, but my point is what is the major product from Greece that they can export in Billions of Dollars worth ---- and the answer is ZILCH.

The banks do not have funds, a Greece outside Euro will not be able to finance any import because they do not have any reserves, and any paper issued by the Bank of Greece is not even worth the paper it will be printed on.

Dark days ahead.
Simitis .. the Greek prime minister at that time , he was the person of Germans. Germany actually proposed and "forced" with their political representatives in Greece to join Euro. So greeke industry was vaporised and all the loans were used to by German products..
There was NEVER e referendum on the issue as it should be..\

arpakola

jouni

I guess we will be eating feta and gyros next winter, if we plan get something back from Greece. Our piece of loans is 7 billion, two years defense budget....expensive experience with those southern croocks.

Gabriel92

Country flag
@arpakola
Yes or No,what does it change ?
Greeks aren't in position to demand,beggars don't choose.... :biggrin2:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles