Greece - SYRIZA, in the margin of the Eurozone

sob

Mod
Country flag
In a bid to make Eurozone a reality countries like the so called PIGS were allowed entry even when they did not meet the fiscal criterion.

However these countries have nobody but themselves to blame for the mess they are in. They took advantage of the shield provided by a strong Euro and went on a spending spree which was not sustainable by any measure. Other countries are slowly mending but the successive Greek governments could not sell the truth to the public, and the result is for all to see.

pmaitra

2 paragraphs that explain the Greek financial crisis
Updated by Timothy B. Lee on June 29, 2015, 9:52 a.m. ET

Milton Friedman might be best known today for his free-market political views. But some of his most important contributions to economics were in monetary policy. He explained the high inflation rates of the 1970s, and he was also an early and influential advocate of the system of floating exchange rates that we have today.

So European policymakers would have done well to pay attention in 1997 when Friedman predicted that the euro would be a disaster. Eighteen years later, with Greece on the verge of a financial meltdown, his analysis looks prophetic:

Europe’s common market exemplifies a situation that is unfavorable to a common currency. It is composed of separate nations, whose residents speak different languages, have different customs, and have far greater loyalty and attachment to their own country than to the common market or to the idea of "Europe." Despite being a free trade area, goods move less freely than in the United States, and so does capital.

The European Commission based in Brussels, indeed, spends a small fraction of the total spent by governments in the member countries. They, not the European Union’s bureaucracies, are the important political entities. Moreover, regulation of industrial and employment practices is more extensive than in the United States, and differs far more from country to country than from American state to American state. As a result, wages and prices in Europe are more rigid, and labor less mobile. In those circumstances, flexible exchange rates provide an extremely useful adjustment mechanism.

What Friedman means here is that if Greece still had the drachma, it could deal with its financial difficulties by devaluing the currency. A cheaper drachma would make Greek goods more attractive to foreigners, boosting exports and creating jobs. And a bit of inflation in Greece would help ease the country's debt burden — not an ideal outcome, but better than the yearslong depression the country has suffered since the 2008 financial crisis.

It's much harder for an unemployed man in Greece to move to get a job in Germany than it is for somebody who loses his job in Pennsylvania to find work in Texas. So Greece's unemployment rate has stayed disastrously high, even as other eurozone nations have enjoyed a robust recovery.

Friedman concluded that the euro experiment would backfire:

The drive for the Euro has been motivated by politics not economics. The aim has been to link Germany and France so closely as to make a future European war impossible, and to set the stage for a federal United States of Europe. I believe that adoption of the Euro would have the opposite effect. It would exacerbate political tensions by converting divergent shocks that could have been readily accommodated by exchange rate changes into divisive political issues. Political unity can pave the way for monetary unity. Monetary unity imposed under unfavorable conditions will prove a barrier to the achievement of political unity.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Ideally IMO Eurozone should have included only Germany, France, Austria, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland. Maybe the Dutch also. This would have been a real powerhouse and these countries have stuck to a very strict fiscal discipline.

Gabriel92

Country flag
Lol,you got what you expected,you don't pay your debt etc.
Now i hope it will give you a lesson.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Lol,you got what you expected,you don't pay your debt etc.
Now i hope it will give you a lesson.
This is one thing the French can definitely teach the world, how to live without resorting to huge debt.

Gabriel92

Country flag

arpakola

Meh. You are a failed country,what do you exepct ? I hope you got your money out of the banks. Funny how Merkel terrorizes your population and your country aha. :D
there are no failed countries.. only failed banks and businesses.. as failed can exist..

wait till Sunday results.. :balleballe:

Gabriel92

Country flag
there are no failed countries.. only failed banks and businesses.. as failed can exist..

wait till Sunday results.. :balleballe:
BTW where is that commie clown Tsipras ? Didn't he promise to fix the things ?
Now he wants the people to decide.. Enough of you,you are kaput. Too bad,i loved to visit your country,now don't want to go to a bankrupt country. :D

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Now he wants the people to decide.. Enough of you,you are kaput. Too bad,i loved to visit your country,now don't want to go to a bankrupt country. :D
Wait for few months. It will be dirt cheap to visit Greece again given most people will be unemployed and Drachma being worthless as compared to Euro.

arpakola

Now he wants the people to decide ??.. Enough of you,you are kaput. Too bad,i loved to visit your country,now don't want to go to a bankrupt country. :D
I could not believe that I would ever hear this from someone coming from France..

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Wait for few months. It will be dirt cheap to visit Greece again given most people will be unemployed and Drachma being worthless as compared to Euro.
Hahahaha........ thats evil ... and practical ..... :lol:

Neil

Country flag
I could not believe that I would ever hear this from someone coming from France..
he is not wrong...how does a common man across Greece understand the technicalities in the agreement?its effect?its pros and cons? thats for technocrats and greek government to decide! another attempt by greek government to shed responsibility.

arpakola

he is not wrong...how does a common man across Greece understand the technicalities in the agreement?its effect?its pros and cons? thats for technocrats and greek government to decide! another attempt by greek government to shed responsibility.
Ιts not about technicalities
its about an austherity program that has left 50% of young people without jobs
Greece will decide if they want to keep going on this..

arpakola

And if greeks say NO... then?
say bye bye to pensions :lol:
Greece can cover its own expenses by itself.
What cannot be covered is the payback of the debt.
So pensions will be payed no worries

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles