Gagan Shakti 2018: The IAF Will Field 1,100 Aircraft For Mega War Exerc

Archer

Country flag
What does the Def Min have to do with any of this?? Parrikar was a clown, i was told this pointblank by a serving Rear Admiral so I WILL take his word for it..All this brouhaha about being an IITian w/o even realizing he was an MTech graduate which really isnt a big deal. I don't know about her, wish her well but goddam the Bhajpa fandom here is appalling!
I had extensive conversations with very senior folks from IN who head Indias warship manufacturing effort. He had nothing but unstinted praise for Modi and the change in the MOD after the BJP took over. Sea change in efficiency, people getting things done in time & a hope the administration continued.
Your serving Rear Admiral may have been offended by Parrikars way of talking, it was notoriously bereft of polish and he routinely had a habit of using every day language to communicate his concerns and gave two hoots for being PC. And Parrikar is the same guy who identified the IAF, IA etc were sitting on vast stocks of unserviceable equipment and wanted to buy to new stuff without even fixing what is in service and he pulled them up, the DPSUs up and he is the very reason the Su-30 fleet is now hitting serviceability highs.
Whether he is a MTECH or BTECH is not the issue, the thing is he understands technology, is not intimidated by business decisions and is not merely a politician sitting in the Defense Ministry to run scams like many of his predecessors. Because of that, he figured out what needed to be done, and did it.
Give the man credit for making far reaching changes to India's national security environment.
Also, he is single handedly responsible for forcing a recalcitrant IAF and HAL to get together and make the LCA a viable program. ADA had all but given up on the LCA Mk1 and was busy hoping for a LCA Mk2 which could have ended up as a science project.

One more thing. I see many facebook and social media profiles held by retired officials making fun of Parrikars dressing sense and his dehati accent. They think that made him a bad choice for a Defence Minister, in fact one ex SF guy blocked all those chaps who pointed out our ancestors did not wear fancy uniforms with british era uniforms when they held off colonial invaders. Sadly, our media and existing establishment loathes the BJP and is extremely anti-nativist to the degree of loathing anything or anyone openly professing to be Hindu. And Parrikar types who speak not so fancily and act as rustic sons of the soil come for special contempt.
There is a huge difference between a Parrikar and a Laloo but the media behaves as both are the same, and unfortunately many people fall for the prejudice.

Note I was no fan of Parrikar, given how he began his tenure and the shameful controversy targeting Dr Chander. It reflected pathetically on both Modi and Parrikar. But Parrikar deserves credit for the good he did too.

Archer

Country flag
Another thing, Madam Sitharaman, is not any engineer, but in her previous role she did hold a role as a Minister of the MSMEs. She is a perfect person to spearhead the effort for Make in India.

Modi I believe had a solid decision making process for choosing each of these people.

Jaitley because he is trusted and ensured MOF did not stop the modernization of the services. The babus tried but still some finances flowed and most importantly domestic DPSUs and R&D got a decent budget which they had been artificially starved of while expensive imports were pushed for, for obvious reasons.
Second, Parrikar was brought in, but his health issues and BJPs need to handle Goa had him move back.
Third, to carry on Parrikars half-finished work and give a fillip to Make in India, Madame Sitharaman has been brought in.
If she gets the LCA production to 300 plus, BJP deserves a standing ovation.

binayak95

Country flag
I had extensive conversations with very senior folks from IN who head Indias warship manufacturing effort. He had nothing but unstinted praise for Modi and the change in the MOD after the BJP took over. Sea change in efficiency, people getting things done in time & a hope the administration continued.
Your serving Rear Admiral may have been offended by Parrikars way of talking, it was notoriously bereft of polish and he routinely had a habit of using every day language to communicate his concerns and gave two hoots for being PC. And Parrikar is the same guy who identified the IAF, IA etc were sitting on vast stocks of unserviceable equipment and wanted to buy to new stuff without even fixing what is in service and he pulled them up, the DPSUs up and he is the very reason the Su-30 fleet is now hitting serviceability highs.
Whether he is a MTECH or BTECH is not the issue, the thing is he understands technology, is not intimidated by business decisions and is not merely a politician sitting in the Defense Ministry to run scams like many of his predecessors. Because of that, he figured out what needed to be done, and did it.
Give the man credit for making far reaching changes to India's national security environment.
Also, he is single handedly responsible for forcing a recalcitrant IAF and HAL to get together and make the LCA a viable program. ADA had all but given up on the LCA Mk1 and was busy hoping for a LCA Mk2 which could have ended up as a science project.

One more thing. I see many facebook and social media profiles held by retired officials making fun of Parrikars dressing sense and his dehati accent. They think that made him a bad choice for a Defence Minister, in fact one ex SF guy blocked all those chaps who pointed out our ancestors did not wear fancy uniforms with british era uniforms when they held off colonial invaders. Sadly, our media and existing establishment loathes the BJP and is extremely anti-nativist to the degree of loathing anything or anyone openly professing to be Hindu. And Parrikar types who speak not so fancily and act as rustic sons of the soil come for special contempt.
There is a huge difference between a Parrikar and a Laloo but the media behaves as both are the same, and unfortunately many people fall for the prejudice.

Note I was no fan of Parrikar, given how he began his tenure and the shameful controversy targeting Dr Chander. It reflected pathetically on both Modi and Parrikar. But Parrikar deserves credit for the good he did too.
The Navy was severely put off by the fact that Parrikar came aboard INS Kochi on her commissioning day in sandals. That, to the Navy, was a BIG INSULT.

But, otherwise, the military really has been pleased with the way things have been handled since NDA took over. Except, perhaps, more expenditure on acquisitions would have been appreciated.

Archer

Country flag
The Navy was severely put off by the fact that Parrikar came aboard INS Kochi on her commissioning day in sandals. That, to the Navy, was a BIG INSULT.

But, otherwise, the military really has been pleased with the way things have been handled since NDA took over. Except, perhaps, more expenditure on acquisitions would have been appreciated.
Understandable.

But to be honest, this more Angrez than the Angrez mindset our forces have, is sometimes super irritating.

Having said that, Parrikar dressed up when he went to the US, so he should have done the same in India.

But seriously, I do hope the Armed Forces guys start looking at the man within then getting overly impressed with spit, polish, grooming etc.

But in the forces, these are associated with basic OLQ and discipline, so it is what is.

Archer

Country flag
About expenditure, I believe once the economy picks up, then more money will be used for the forces.

Modi is a political animal so he knows he needs to win 2019 one way or the other. So Indias welfare economy will continue trundling along, and our tax money will continue being used up here and there.

All we can hope for, is corruption to decrease gradually, and the investment in infrastructure and fair policies to automatically unshackle our economy and that will boost the overall budget.

IndiaRising

Country flag
Understandable.

But to be honest, this more Angrez than the Angrez mindset our forces have, is sometimes super irritating.

Having said that, Parrikar dressed up when he went to the US, so he should have done the same in India.

But seriously, I do hope the Armed Forces guys start looking at the man within then getting overly impressed with spit, polish, grooming etc.

But in the forces, these are associated with basic OLQ and discipline, so it is what is.
senior officers in armed forces believe the world revolves around them. if somebody brings them down to earth, there is nothing wrong with that

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Yoooo from what you've said Parikkar seems like a cool dude.

Tanmay

Country flag

He's usually seen only in sandals. Extreme rare to see him in shoes. Perhaps decorum issues when you are non-elitist.

Last time my dad wore shoes was during his marriage. Goes to office in sandals/chappal with plastic bag. But is respected for being non-corrupt and doing job proper way in finance section even by builders etc :p

binayak95

Country flag
He's usually seen only in sandals. Extreme rare to see him in shoes. Perhaps decorum issues when you are non-elitist.

Last time my dad wore shoes was during his marriage. Goes to office in sandals/chappal with plastic bag. But is respected for being non-corrupt and doing job proper way in finance section even by builders etc :p
That's pretty much okay! Even commendable. It's good to be simple, yet morally strong.

But when some level of formality and ceremonial pomp is ingrained into you, you tend to expect your traditions to be followed to the T. And this was a commissioning day.. that's very important, as important as any marriage.

Tanmay

Country flag
That's pretty much okay! Even commendable. It's good to be simple, yet morally strong.

But when some level of formality and ceremonial pomp is ingrained into you, you tend to expect your traditions to be followed to the T. And this was a commissioning day.. that's very important, as important as any marriage.
Lack of knowledge of decorum and military honor and traditions :?

Waiting for HD videos. Even IAF just released shaky low resolution , non-professional videos. The PR dept should work a bit harder else release unedited videos and wait for youtubers to take over.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

Spot on! Wearing chappals on a ship's commissioning and also during guards of honor and ceremonial occasions is an insult of galactic proportions.!

Shocking dress sense!! What's his problem with wearing shoes instead of chappals for ceremonial occasions? And look at his shirt hanging out in the last pic. Bloody disgraceful!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Spot on! Wearing chappals on a ship's commissioning and also during guards of honor and ceremonial occasions is an insult of galactic proportions.!

Shocking dress sense!! What's his problem with wearing shoes instead of chappals for ceremonial occasions? And look at his shirt hanging out in the last pic. Bloody disgraceful!
is the dress sense important to you or untangling defence procurement mess which was going on for decades?
i'd pick work over appearance anytime.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
is the dress sense important to you or untangling defence procurement mess which was going on for decades?
If m not wrong OROP issue was resolved under his tenure. That is also something to be remembered.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I'd pick both! This ain't a zero sum issue!

binayak95

Country flag
Isn't it important to maintain the decorum and traditions of an organisation that is older than the republic? That has fought for this nation tooth and nail and whose personnel serve selflessly. All the military asks for is respect and honour. The way you dress shows just how seriously (or not) you take us.

Antony was a goddamn disaster. To compare parikar to him is an insult to the latter.

Tanmay

Country flag
Isn't it important to maintain the decorum and traditions of an organisation that is older than the republic? That has fought for this nation tooth and nail and whose personnel serve selflessly. All the military asks for is respect and honour. The way you dress shows just how seriously (or not) you take us.

Antony was a goddamn disaster. To compare parikar to him is an insult to the latter.
Even Judges have admonished people who dont come to court in proper dress. there is a dress code in courts too.
Military and Formal State occasions should have no exception. Parrikarji could have opted for tucked in shirt or traditional Indian attire as well.
Remember an IAS babu who got in trouble for wearing sunglasses in front of PM

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Fact remains he would be remembered for surgical strikes, solving OROP, formation of first Tejas squadron and many more things and not how he dressed.

nobody is telling his side of the story because he doesn't have a media coterie of his own. Let's wait for his biography or autobiography. i'm sure he must have his reasons.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles